Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

OT- Buyer beware, don't buy these products - OT

Options
124»

Comments

• LetsEat
    LetsEat Posts: 458
    Options
    CTMike said:
    I'll add LG Refrigerators with the Linear Compressor. We paid $3600 for a 2 door, 2 drawer French style and the cooling system went out 6 times in 5 years. They refrigeration loop would develop a blockage on the high pressure side and that would cause the compressor to fail.

It got so bad that LG eventually agreed to cover such failures for 10 years because they were facing a class action lawsuit. 

I have a friend who was a Corporate Exec with LG at the time, and he was instrumental in getting LG to buy the fridge back from me (at a pro-rated cost). 

We used the funds to buy a 20 year old SubZero that will likely outlast me. 
    IMO a SubZero is money well invested. Our SZ was installed in 1991 with only one service call to replace an ice maker. 
    IL 
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    Ozzie_Isaac Posts: 19,046
    Options
    LetsEat said:
    CTMike said:
    I'll add LG Refrigerators with the Linear Compressor. We paid $3600 for a 2 door, 2 drawer French style and the cooling system went out 6 times in 5 years. They refrigeration loop would develop a blockage on the high pressure side and that would cause the compressor to fail.

It got so bad that LG eventually agreed to cover such failures for 10 years because they were facing a class action lawsuit. 

I have a friend who was a Corporate Exec with LG at the time, and he was instrumental in getting LG to buy the fridge back from me (at a pro-rated cost). 

IMO a SubZero is money well invested. Our SZ was installed in 1991 with only one service call to replace an ice maker. 
    I have one concern about the SZ, doesn't the air coming off the heat exchanger on the top heat up your kitchen?  It seems like ot would blow right on you.
    A bison’s level of aggressiveness, both physical and passive, is legendary. - NPS
  • 4TheGrillOfIt
    Options
    We are going to go with SubZero.  If I gotta lose the ice and water in the door might as well get the SZ.  We have Wolf appliances and we’ve been very pleased with them so I think it will be a good investment to add.  
    XL BGE, Large BGE, Small BGE, Weber Summit NG                                                                                               
    Memphis  
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    LetsEat said:
    CTMike said:

I have one concern about the SZ, doesn't the air coming off the heat exchanger on the top heat up your kitchen?  It seems like ot would blow right on you.
    The heat has to go somewhere, right?
    Options
    RRP said:
    Haven't read anyone else who had this problem...our ice maker in our GE caught on fire, right before we were headed for bed! SPOOKY just thinking we could have died that night from that fire as it obviously had enough oxygen to burn! I put it out using a small First Alert kitchen fire extinguisher suitable for grease plus electrical fires. 

GE sent a new ice maker and a service person to install it and he couldn't get it to work. Then GE dispatched a second "more senior" man to fix it - still nothing! GE -BELIEVE IT OR NOT- replaced the whole refrigerator! Then the stupid ice maker on the new one quit a few years later!
    How old was the fridge when it caught fire?

Northern Colorado Egghead since 2012.

XL BGE and a KBQ.

• RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,889
    Options
    QDude said:
    RRP said:
    Haven't read anyone else who had this problem...our ice maker in our GE caught on fire, right before we were headed for bed! SPOOKY just thinking we could have died that night from that fire as it obviously had enough oxygen to burn! I put it out using a small First Alert kitchen fire extinguisher suitable for grease plus electrical fires. 

GE sent a new ice maker and a service person to install it and he couldn't get it to work. Then GE dispatched a second "more senior" man to fix it - still nothing! GE -BELIEVE IT OR NOT- replaced the whole refrigerator! Then the stupid ice maker on the new one quit a few years later!
    How old was the fridge when it caught fire?
    I think 4 or maybe 5 years...BUT the fact that GE consumer division MUST HAVE  KNOWN damn good and well that that model with ice maker had a serious issue!  I mean...to EASILY pay for 2 ice maker replacement attempts before a full replacement of that FULL refrigerator! 
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    Options
    LetsEat said:
    CTMike said:

Yes, but the Sub-Zero blows directly at your face as opposed to kind leaking out around the sides and floor.
    A bison’s level of aggressiveness, both physical and passive, is legendary. - NPS
  • ColbyLang
    ColbyLang Posts: 3,423
    Options
    LetsEat said:
    CTMike said:

Yes, but the Sub-Zero blows directly at your face as opposed to kind leaking out around the sides and floor.
    My parents have counter depth individual fridge and freezer from Sub-Zero, their system is at the bottom, no hot air in your face 
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    I couldn’t find anyone complaining about hot air in the face.   Maybe it’s just an issue when you don’t have a sub zero🤔🤪
    Options
    Seems that at least a few here would be quite familiar with spewing hot air.
    “Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• RyanStl
    RyanStl Posts: 1,050
    Options
    Bottom line, don't buy Korean made fridges. Also avoid the one Ron had.  My Fridgedair that got relegated to the garage 10 yrs ago and was 5 yrs old at the time works just fine.  It gets high and low temps, but keeps trucking 
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,754
    Options
    my harvest gold fridge will soon be 50

GE HARVEST YELLOW FRIDGE

fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • HeavyG
    HeavyG Posts: 10,348
    Options
    RyanStl said:
    Bottom line, don't buy Korean made fridges. Also avoid the one Ron had.  My Fridgedair that got relegated to the garage 10 yrs ago and was 5 yrs old at the time works just fine.  It gets high and low temps, but keeps trucking 

My LG bottom freezer fridge bought in 2014 has been fine with the one exception of the ice maker.
    When it stopped working I didn't spend much time to see what was wrong with it as I prefer making larger cubes anyway so I don't really miss it not being in action.

Our LG washer and dryer which were bought in 2016 have been trouble free.
    I'll continue to at least consider LG appliances in the future.
    “Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• LetsEat
    LetsEat Posts: 458
    Options
    LetsEat said:
    CTMike said:

We have not experienced noticeable hot air from the heat exchanger with the exception of when it has not been cleaned. Easy enough to remedy by removing the cover/deflector and vacuuming followed by a spray rinse of Evap Foam. 
    IL 
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    Options
  • alaskanassasin
    Options
    there is oil slung all over the floor underneath our 1.75 year old maytag washer that has already had the motherboard replaced.
    South of Columbus, Ohio.