Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

What Are You Chef-ing Tonight, Dr?

Comments

• Ozzie_Isaac
    Ozzie_Isaac Posts: 18,944
    Smoking is baking.
    I heartily disagree.  I do not know why I disagree, I just have a gut feeling they are different.
    A bison’s level of aggressiveness, both physical and passive, is legendary. - NPS
  • JohnInCarolina
    JohnInCarolina Posts: 30,868
    I had the hankering for oatmeal cookies.  Alas, only steel ground in the house.  Called up the brisket camp lawyer next door.  All he had in rolled was a case of instant breakfast oats in little packets…various flavors.  

Why not…. I sifted the oats out with a screen and gave it a shot.  The pics suck but that was worth the cheffing/baking whateverthef*ck you wanna call it  :D
    Dylan really should have business cards printed up that read “Brisket Camp Lawyer” if he hasn’t already.  
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • Acn
    Acn Posts: 4,424

Last night’s dinner was pan seared cod with lemon-mint sauce And roasted broccoli.  Started tonight’s dinner this morning.

LBGE

Pikesville, MD

• HeavyG
    HeavyG Posts: 10,324
    @JohnInCarolina

Sounds, ummm, very international. Some definite fusion going on there. 
    I made regular spag for the kids.  And then it occurred to me that I should make something for myself.  So it was one of those “let’s see what else is in the fridge” type deals.
    We’re just deciding what to have. Kids are away tonight and we’ve struck out on a few restaurant and take-out options. Maybe I’ll have to doctor something like you did. 
    Dazzle her with a toast sandwich.

That's one step up from an Elwood "wish sandwich".
    “Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• Ozzie_Isaac
    lousubcap said:
    Not BGE -but Q'd and definitely not cheffed:
    SRF plate ribs on the stick burner-

And there's always gotta be a $$ shot-

These have been in the freezer for too long-
    Great texture and flavour- thanks for lookin.  

A bison’s level of aggressiveness, both physical and passive, is legendary. - NPS
  • JohnInCarolina
    lousubcap said:

Whoa.  You’ve been holding back on us!
  • Canugghead
    Canugghead Posts: 11,457
    lousubcap said:

You’ve done justice to the insanely meaty bones!
    canuckland
  • Canugghead
    caliking said:
    Not chef'd. Picked up this piggy head from bbq place earlier today. Crispy cracklin, puffy cheeks, eyeballs, morsels and rendered muscles in nooks and crannies...hog heavens!

oh man. That looks mo' beautiful than the last one I picked up a few years ago. Good stuff, for sure. 

There’s a lot of good eats there. My favs are the periorbital muscles/meat, cheeks, crispy ears. In that order  :)
    Haha have to google periorbital  :) snout meat is nice too, it was like a treasure hunt.

The ones I bought previously were whole and didn’t have as much cheek meat. This one is also spatchcocked pre roast, making it way easier to dig in. Only down side is missing brain.
    canuckland
  • theyolksonyou
    theyolksonyou Posts: 18,458
    caliking said:
    Not chef'd. Picked up this piggy head from bbq place earlier today. Crispy cracklin, puffy cheeks, eyeballs, morsels and rendered muscles in nooks and crannies...hog heavens!

oh man. That looks mo' beautiful than the last one I picked up a few years ago. Good stuff, for sure. 

There’s a lot of good eats there. My favs are the periorbital muscles/meat, cheeks, crispy ears. In that order  :)
    Haha have to google periorbital  :) snout meat is nice too, it was like a treasure hunt.

The ones I bought previously were whole and didn’t have as much cheek meat. This one is also spatchcocked pre roast, making it way easier to dig in. Only down side is missing brain.
    In some circles that’s a bonus.  
  • Canugghead
    edited May 2022
    Quickie chickee on the baby Traeger.
    5m preheat to 350, 30m skin up, 30m skin down, done IT 175. Skin up again for foto.

edit: oooopsy, it was 15m skin up, 15m skin down  :)

canuckland
  • shtgunal3
    shtgunal3 Posts: 5,629
    That Ranger is full @Canugghead , Nice!

LBGE,SBGE, and a Mini makes three......Sweet home Alabama........ Stay thirsty my friends .

• Battleborn
    Battleborn Posts: 3,338
    lousubcap said:

Frank, you learned how to take pictures. Those look amazing. 
    Las Vegas, NV

• Canugghead
    shtgunal3 said:
    That Ranger is full @Canugghead , Nice!
    Thanks, what you see is 9mm stainless grid I salvaged from a retired Weber gasser, I also cooked potatoes on an upper deck built with stock grid and three carriage bolts.
    canuckland
  • @sumoconnell

Living it up right there. Right down to the custom Champagne koozie. Looks great. 
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,727
    lousubcap said:

this could be my new wallpaper

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • BigGreenKev
    BigGreenKev Posts: 253
    tried those jonah crabs, good but not up to the stone crab hype. will get them again. steak seared on the hellfire, quick steam with the claws, melting butter was the hard part

What is different from Jonah crab and stone crab?I've not had either but getting Jonah this week I think. Just need to decide what to do with the non claws and how much to get 

• JohnInCarolina
    SonVolt said:
    Great weekend to fire up the pizza oven.  Simple same-day New York style dough. Finally getting better at stretching the dough thinner for proper NY style.  King Arthur BF, 63% hydro, 1.8% salt, .7% IDY.  

Nice!  What temp did you cook it at?
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,669
    tried those jonah crabs, good but not up to the stone crab hype. will get them again. steak seared on the hellfire, quick steam with the claws, melting butter was the hard part

What is different from Jonah crab and stone crab?I've not had either but getting Jonah this week I think. Just need to decide what to do with the non claws and how much to get 

stone crab is sweet and more in flavor. these were pretty good though. could be though that the stone crab went from the boat to the cooker quickly, they were not in season and the guy that got them wanted them to be gone quickly. the claws on these jonah crabs were precooked and flash frozen and the shells were precut with something mechanical. the shells are fairly tough
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • SonVolt
    SonVolt Posts: 3,314
    SonVolt said:
    Great weekend to fire up the pizza oven.  Simple same-day New York style dough. Finally getting better at stretching the dough thinner for proper NY style.  King Arthur BF, 63% hydro, 1.8% salt, .7% IDY.  

When I first got the oven I (incorrectly) thought hotter & faster was better and blasted everything at Neapolitan temps of 850F+.   Long story short, that's not so great for NY style.  I cooked these at ~650F for a total bake time of 4-5 minutes per pie. Got MUCH better results this time.
    South of Nashville  -  BGE XL  -  Alfresco 42" ALXE  -  Alfresco Versa Burner  - Sunbeam Microwave 
  • JohnInCarolina
    SonVolt said:
    SonVolt said:

When I first got the oven I (incorrectly) thought hotter & faster was better and blasted everything at Neapolitan temps of 850F+.   Long story short, that's not so great for NY style.  I cooked these at ~650F for a total bake time of 4-5 minutes per pie. Got MUCH better results this time.
    Yeah it's the combination of the type of flour, hydration level, and anything in the dough that isn't designed for high temps, like sugar.   You actually have a hydration level that's a little low for NY style doughs.  I think typically they're around 65-67.  

Pizza making is a rabbit hole all unto itself.   I still have a lot to learn.  
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    edited May 2022
    SonVolt said:
    SonVolt said:

Vito from Youtube interviewed Joe from Joes New York Pizza in LA, he has been doing New York Pies since 1978 and he does.his at 500deg.  He was super particular about every step.  Was kind of a funny video because it came across like Vito was annoying him during the whole demo.

https://youtu.be/mAUwnMev-H0
  • SonVolt
    SonVolt Posts: 3,314
    edited May 2022
    That's b/c Vito is annoying. ha. He knows his stuff though. 
    South of Nashville  -  BGE XL  -  Alfresco 42" ALXE  -  Alfresco Versa Burner  - Sunbeam Microwave 
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    edited May 2022
    SonVolt said:
    That's b/c Vito is annoying. ha. 
    Yes he is, I liked his earlier videos.  He has gone full blown "influencer", loud and obnoxious.  With that said, he has been incredibly helpful for me, since I started from zero and he has helped me understand a lot of the details.