Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

OT - What are you doing right now?

Options

Comments

• Canugghead
    Canugghead Posts: 11,533
    edited November 2021
    Options

Down under
    Edit: not my area code ;)
    canuckland
  • Battleborn
    Battleborn Posts: 3,359
    Options
    Wife said she wanted to have the turkey done and eating by 4 on Thursday. Knowing her and her family, I will have it done and ready to eat at 6 and it will probably sit for an additional 45 minutes. 
    Las Vegas, NV

• WeberWho
    WeberWho Posts: 11,030
    edited November 2021
    Options
    Anyone else find this humorous?

The Buffalo is hammering down on all these troll accounts. I'm not complaining any. 
    "The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota
  • JohnInCarolina
    Options
    Damn, I had missed that.  
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • Mark_B_Good
    Mark_B_Good Posts: 1,521
    Options
    When don’t have a big bandsaw with a resaw setup, thin kerf blade with an extended fence for the win.

Why do I look at that and see gold/$$$?
    Napoleon Prestige Pro 665, XL BGE, Lots of time for BBQ!
  • FarmingPhD
    Options
    When don’t have a big bandsaw with a resaw setup, thin kerf blade with an extended fence for the win.

Mark- you are going to have to explain it to me?
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    Ozzie_Isaac Posts: 19,114
    Options

Price of wood is bonkers.  You might as well build the cabinets out of gold.
    They don’t want a population of citizens capable of critical thinking. They don’t want well informed, well educated people capable of critical thinking. They’re not interested in that. That doesn’t help them. That's against their interests. - George Carlin
  • Kayak
    Kayak Posts: 700
    Options

I just bought White Oak for some bathroom projects that was $14/bd ft, and Hard Maple for $7/ bd ft. Painful, but not that bad. Teak for the same project would have run me $40/bd ft.

How wide is the board you resawed Farming?

Bob

New Cumberland, PA
    XL with the usual accessories

• ColbyLang
    ColbyLang Posts: 3,431
    Options
    About to feel the lumber burn myself. 550’ of 3” wide poplar paint grade to wainscot the kids bedrooms. Worst part is I’m paying a cabinet shop to plane it from 3/4” to 1/2” to meet my wife’s (interior designer by trade) desired look. 
  • FarmingPhD
    Options
    Kayak said:

I just bought White Oak for some bathroom projects that was $14/bd ft, and Hard Maple for $7/ bd ft. Painful, but not that bad. Teak for the same project would have run me $40/bd ft.

How wide is the board you resawed Farming?
    4 1/2”, making some drawers and couldn’t bring myself to plane it down to 1/2” thickness when it was right at 1” after jointing a side.  Finished thickness is slightly over 3/8 which will be fine with slips for the drawer bottoms.

I haven’t bought lumber in 4 years, currently all coming out of my storage rack, so oblivious to the current prices.  
  • alaskanassasin
    Options
    trying to look busy.
    South of Columbus, Ohio.

• nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    When I'm making furniture I prefer starting with big beams and resawing them to the dimension I want to work with.  I'll use a table saw if I'm cutting under 3.5 inches otherwise I'll use my 19" band saw.  (unless I have the band saw pulled out with the resaw blade on it).

Planing wood to dimension is fine but if you're removing a quarter inch or more it's expensive in time and planer blades. 

If I have, say, a 5/4" x 6" board and needed it 3/4" and didn't have a band saw, I would probably rip it in half and then resaw it on the 3" side before I ran that through the planer 5 times.  (unless I was only doing a couple feet or less).  Lots of options.  We often choose the wrong way and learn from it.  But the final work still comes out looking good.

Another factor is the species of wood.  Some wood is absolutely miserable to plane like heart pine (broadleaf pine).  Some species is fairly easy to plane but dulls your blades because of high silica content.

All this makes woodworking fun.  It's therapeutic for me and I feel hedonistic making something as I have so many infrastructure tasks (clean, fix, etc) around the house and shop that need to be done first.  They're always there, never go away.
    Options
    I bought a bunch of plywood and milled cypress in the past 6 months but normally I comb the curb and roll-off boxes in front of 100-200 yo homes being renovated and look for wood to recycle.  I have a pretty good collection of wood from years of doing this.  A nice bonus if you drive a truck....I just cry if I drive by in the Porsche (and head back to get the truck).

I've been starting to figure out how to mill wood.  After burning up my last saw, I learned a lot.  I've been tapping @alaskanassasin for knowledge as he's experienced in chainsaw milling. 

Anyway, once I get everything dialed in I should be able to start building up a virtually unlimited supply of the local indigenous species.   Live oak, cedar, cypress, pecan....and all the weird tropical stuff that grows here is fair game, although I'm pretty sure I'll need a dermatologist at some point because some of this wood is very allergenic, especially when you're working with it.
    Options
    I paid $3/bf for the cypress.  It was a sweet deal.

Cypress is hands down the easiest species to mill.  Light, strong, very little sap, tools stay sharp and beautiful when finished.  Especially old-growth swamp cypress.  Sinker cypress is sold by the pound...I'd never buy it but if I can salvage some I'll be in heaven.
    trying to look busy.
    This is also my approach when I'm at home and have nothing that I want to do, and the wife is lurking.  It's like that episode of Seinfeld where George pretends to always be frustrated and pulling his hair out whenever the boss walks by.  

The only real concern is that if she uncovers my ruse, I'm screwed.  Or... not screwed, if you catch my drift. 
    FTFY

South of Columbus, Ohio.

• nolaegghead
    Options
    Just don't tell the spousal-unit that you can see *her* belly....
    trying to look busy.
    This is also my approach when I'm at home and have nothing that I want to do, and the wife is lurking.  It's like that episode of Seinfeld where George pretends to always be frustrated and pulling his hair out whenever the boss walks by.  

The only real concern is that if she uncovers my ruse, I'm screwed.  Or... not screwed, if you catch my drift. 
    FTFY

Accurate.

"I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • Hansm
    Hansm Posts: 214
    Options
    Drinking wine ....
    LG BGE,  Weber Genesis gas, Weber 22" Kettle, Weber Smokey Joe
  • lkapigian
    lkapigian Posts: 10,767
    Options
    Making Posole 
    Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • ColbyLang
    ColbyLang Posts: 3,431
    Options
    @nolaegghead, get what you’re saying about planing the board too many times. I have no planer, farming the job out to a cabinet shop. I have zero doubts they’ll do it whatever way is easiest for them, while still turning out the dimensions I want. Short of having it milled myself from Lafayette WoodWorks, this was my only solution 
  • Battleborn
    Battleborn Posts: 3,359
    Options
    I know I’m super late to the party, but watching Game of Thrones and the opening scene to season 7 is probably one of the greatest scenes I have watched. 
    Las Vegas, NV

• Yno
    Yno Posts: 529
    Options
    1. The only truthful answer that can be posted on this thread is "reading this thread". You guys with the power tools and heavy machinery had best not be typing things here while you are working! Could cause a bit of a problem.
    2. I am reading this thread. Also drinking wine and reducing three bottles of GSM to about a cup for a mushroom sauce. 
    3. Also trying to figure out why Vanilla is numbering my post.
    XL BGE in San Jose, CA. Also a Pit Barrel Cooker, a Cal Flame P4 gasser, and lots of toys including the first ever Flame Boss 300 in the wild. And a new Flame Boss 500.
  • nolaegghead
    Options
    I read some of this thread and now I am literally typing words on it.
    Options
    Now I'm done....wait...hold on....

done.

now.
    Options
    Boiling potatoes.
    They don’t want a population of citizens capable of critical thinking. They don’t want well informed, well educated people capable of critical thinking. They’re not interested in that. That doesn’t help them. That's against their interests. - George Carlin
  • TEXASBGE2018
    Options
    Bout to make a pecan pie with this.

Rockwall, Tx    LBGE, Minimax, 22" Blackstone, Pizza Party Bollore. Cast Iron Hoarder.