Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Sausage recipe thread - post 'em here

Comments

• lkapigian
    lkapigian Posts: 10,706
    Thanks Larry. I love the idea of salting and curing first even with a big batch. 
    I never know what I’m going to make till after I’m starting, that gets the #1 component out if the way...it also tends to firm up the meat for a better grind a seams to help the bind 
    Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • A friend of mine has a beef heart. Anybody got any good sausage recipes to incorporate that in? Thanks in advance for any input.
    South Buffalo, New York
  • Foghorn
    Foghorn Posts: 9,794
    @cazzy, that looks awesome.  I heard from @The Cen-Tex Smoker about you taking that sausage class and now the pics support that it was a worthwhile endeavor.

@BUFFALOMOOSE, a little googling suggests that a beef heart weighs 3-4 pounds and is 16% fat.

I recently made some "red brats" using a recipe that is designed for venison.  We modified the published version to get fat content where we wanted it and the results were outstanding per multiple "reviewers" including CenTex and @20stone.  It might be a great use of a beef heart. 

How you mix it depends on how much sausage you want to make. 

For a small batch I'd probably add enough pork fat to get you to 30% fat - then drop in about 50% of that total weight in pork shoulder (already a 70/30 mix).

If you want to do a larger batch (might defeat your purpose as it will dilute the taste of the beef heart - but might result in a lot of great sausage) I'd consider using some lean beef with it - maybe add a 5 pound bottom round roast.    Then add enough pork fat to make it a 70/30 lean/fat mix (count beef heart as 84/16 when you do the calculation).  Then add some pork shoulder - about 50% of the beef/heart/fat weight.  

Whatever you do for lean/fat, here are the spices on a per KG basis (note: these are what we used - but the only suggestion for improvement I've gotten is that we could have used a little less salt.  As it is a fresh sausage that should be OK if I understand things correctly.  Also, we used nutmeg).  If you do this, let us know how it works out.

Per KG of lean meat plus fat
    salt 12.5 g
    Cure 1 2.5g

powdered milk 11g
    granulated sugar 4.4g
    garlic (minced) 6.6g
    black pepper (ground) 4.4g
    mustard seed (coarse) 1.8g
    ground mace or nutmeg 1.8g
    rubbed sage 1.8g

Irish Red beer 2.5 liquid ounces

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• @cazzy @Foghorn Thanks for your responses.  Will give that receipe a try next weekend and will send feedback. 
    South Buffalo, New York
  • lkapigian
    @BUFFALOMOOSE , 3% beef heart to your favorite beef sausage recipe is a good balance 
    Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • lkapigian
    cazzy said:
    lkapigian said:
    @BUFFALOMOOSE you could certainly do that....if it were me and doing it that way I would do 20 pounds with salt and cure ( if used ) mix all together to bind , then break down as you say...I always salt cure my meat with no seasoning for a couple days and add seasoning in the last step ( always as in the last year, don’t think I’ll ever go back )
    I did a sausage making class with Bill Dumas, who is a really renown sausage guy in Texas Barbecue.

For his process, day one is trim, cure, salt and pepper.

Day two is grind, then rest.  

Bind/mix, then rest. When binding/mixing, he combines ice, a little liquid and his seasonings to make a slush.  That slush is then poured over the grind and you mix. Not sure how necessary it is, but I’ve been happy with the results.  

Then finally case/link.  

Awesome @cazzy
    Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • Thanks Larry. Life has gotten in the way so I still have not done the sausage.  When I do I will post. 
    South Buffalo, New York
  • lkapigian
    edited August 2021
    Did some Thai and Jalapeno Chedder ( Thai recipe is a couple pages back if interested ) for the Jalapeno Chedder I used pork about 30% fat

1.5% salt 
    .25% cure 1
    .6% granulated Garlic
    .5% mustard Powder
    .4% paprica
    .4% black pepper
    2% NFDPM
    I used a Guinness Stout fir the liquid about 10%...jalaoeno to taste , i used 10 large to 4.5kg cheese about 1 pound rough chopped ...did nit use , nor do you need to use high temp cheese, .....cheese that melts at 400 degrees is just not right lol

I forgot cilantro in my Thai, Crap...i subbed Sumac for the Kafir lime leaves , coukdnt find any and i had Sumac, worked well....thanks for looking 

Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • lkapigian
    edited September 2021
    Sujuk

Beef w/ pork fat 
    1.75% salt .25 % cure 1 ,22% pepper ,13% coriandoer .13% garlic powder .22% onion powder .3% dextrose .2% cumin .2% fenugreek...

Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • @lkapigian what kind of beef and what is the ratio of the beef to pork fat?  Did you smoke at all or just grill fresh?
    South Buffalo, New York
  • lkapigian
    @lkapigian what kind of beef and what is the ratio of the beef to pork fat?  Did you smoke at all or just grill fresh?
    @BUFFALOMOOSE , I used Chuck , eyeballed the fat @ 30% +÷, cooked fresh, but did put xsome in the curing. Chamber for dry cured sujuk

Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • Thanks Larry. 
    South Buffalo, New York
  • lkapigian
    lkapigian said:
    Almost there ....abiut 7 hours in, started @ 100 bumping 10 degrees an hour, pecan for wood 

Pretty excited, My Linguica Recipe is being Featured in "Celebrate Sausage 2021"

https://youtu.be/rJAJK9hA6AQ
    Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Congrats, Larry. 

I googled "Celebrate Sausage" and hit images.....some movie called "Sausage Party" was the dominant result....
  • Foghorn
    Foghorn Posts: 9,794
    lkapigian said:
    lkapigian said:
    Almost there ....abiut 7 hours in, started @ 100 bumping 10 degrees an hour, pecan for wood 

Pretty excited, My Linguica Recipe is being Featured in "Celebrate Sausage 2021"

https://youtu.be/rJAJK9hA6AQ
    That's very cool.  And by virtue of watching that I'm now convinced that the next time I make sausage I want to do it with theme music that sounds like it could be from a "Pirates of the Caribbean" movie.

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• lkapigian
    My linguica-he did a great job with it

https://youtu.be/jNJReTTAhyg
    Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • Congrats Larry.  Looking forward to making it.
    South Buffalo, New York
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,657
    lkapigian said:

wonder how similar it is to a portuguese chourico.  they used to serve them like this in lowell mass, burnt over grain alcohol, really good. i should probaly find one of these grills, it crisps up the sliced skin edges just right

fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    lkapigian said:

wonder how similar it is to a portuguese chourico.  they used to serve them like this in lowell mass, burnt over grain alcohol, really good. i should probaly find one of these grills, it crisps up the sliced skin edges just right

That illustrates the energy in bourbon and makes it a bit easier to believe I was consuming 2200 cal of energy that way per day.  Easiest/hardest diet ever, just cut out the ethanol.

lkapigian said:

@fishlessman, they are the same except the casing , Chourico is beef casing, Linguica hog 
    Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,657
    lkapigian said:
    lkapigian said:

@fishlessman, they are the same except the casing , Chourico is beef casing, Linguica hog 

could just be here in mass in the portuguese areas but chourico is always darker, more spicey with some heat and chunky cut meat and fat pieces, linguica is usually milder and fine ground. yours looks more like the local chourico here i grew up with. looks like theres lots of crossovers on google, i saw the beef casing verse hog casing difference on google, here they look to be the same size and casing. yours has a specific pepper, not sure whats used here, probably just red pepper flakes
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • lkapigian
    lkapigian said:
    lkapigian said:

could just be here in mass in the portuguese areas but chourico is always darker, more spicey with some heat and chunky cut meat and fat pieces, linguica is usually milder and fine ground. yours looks more like the local chourico here i grew up with. looks like theres lots of crossovers on google, i saw the beef casing verse hog casing difference on google, here they look to be the same size and casing. yours has a specific pepper, not sure whats used here, probably just red pepper flakes
    Also makes an excellent dried sausage, same recipe just hand at room temp for a day then into a cool humid environment 
    Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • poster
    poster Posts: 1,167
    Can anyone recommend a good book for beginner/intermediate, or even a website? Something that shows how to handle casings and basic stuff like that? Ive made sausage a few times but with other people in control and everyone seems to do things different. I got a stuffer/grinder for Christmas so would like to get into it on my own. I will likely only do 10lb batches at a time but would still like to be confident in what im doing. Other than a grinder/stuffer/mixer is there any other recommendations for hardware? Ill likely order up a scale this week.
  • lkapigian
    @poster this is a great book, will teach science and methodology, not so much recipes , though there are some

as to equipment, I would recommend a dedicated stuffer, if you think 10 pounds, get a 15 pound stuffer

handling casings, what kind of problems are you having ? I get all my casings from The Sausage Maker 

ask away, a lot of knowledge on this topic by the folks in this thread and on the forum in general 
    Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • poster
    Thanks,

As far as my issue with casings, the last few times we have picked them up from a local butcher. The place is rather big, so you don't really get the opportunity to talk to the guy in charge (usually just a counter kid). Anyway there has been no real issues, other than storing. Usually we soak in cold water and rinse inside and out before use. They are usually in a big blob so the whole lot goes in the water. Maybe this isn't a good idea? After we are done the excess usually just gets tossed. Some guys say to cover in salt and freeze, some say don't freeze but vacuum seal and put in the fridge. If we salt, what about the inside? Also I have heard to store in brine and dry. This makes me wonder how these can be purchased online and shipped un-refrigerated? Will hog casings always be preferred for Italians?

Basically lots of newbie type questions that hopefully a book or someone with lots of experience can help with. I have never done more than 20lbs with a few guys working, so some tying/linking techniques would be good to learn as well.

I want to master this area before I get into any curing or smoking. Italian type sausage are usually my favorite anyway.
  • lkapigian
    edited February 2022
    @poster just salt heavily and put back in the fridge in a plastic container…depending on the MM you are using ( I use 48-32mm I get a little under a pound per foot of casing, peel off what you need …. A full “ hank” will do around 100 pounds….if the “ blob@ has a ring in it ( full hanks do) that is your center point for your casings, stay there and pull off what you need

give the sausage maker a try for your casings, they last forever 

linking technique I do several from the old school butcher 3links at a time, fast and looks amazing , not real practical for home storage …small batches individual links, twist in opposite direction is your best bet and will help you tighten the links 

I sent you a PM with my # if you are ever in a pinch and have questions on sausage or cured meats 

Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • poster
    Thank you, much appreciated!
  • Mark_B_Good
    Mark_B_Good Posts: 1,510
    edited February 2022
    Here we are with my latest thread on making sausages:

Pork Sausage Question — Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...

In terms of the recipe, which includes advice from various members on this forum, here it is:

·       Purchase pork shoulders approx. 10 kg (or larger) with bone in. Typically, 2 shoulders makes a good portion of sausages. Yield of meat/fat from the shoulder is around 9 kg from a 10 kg bone in shoulder.

·       Final fat content needs to be 28% to 30% by weight. Shoulders have approximately 15% to 20% fat content. Need to add 1.5 kg pork fat per 10 kg shoulder (bone in). Get offcuts from butcher, or use fatty pork bellow if necessary.

·       After adding fat, you should have approx. 10.5 kg of meat from a 10 kg bone in shoulder.

·       Cut off rind, and remove meat from bone. Cut into long strips approx. 2” thick.

·       Double grind meat using 8mm holes face tool.

·       Add 1.5 teaspoon salt per lb meat (6g/tsp, 210g per 10kg shoulder)

·       Add 0.5 teaspoon pepper per lb meat (2.8g/tsp, 32g per 10kg shoulder)

·       Add 0.5 tablespoon sweet paprika per lb meat (8.4g/tbs, 100g per 10kg shoulder)

·       For hot, add 1 teaspoon chili flake per lb meat (2.4g/tsp, 55g per 10kg shoulder)

·       Mix thoroughly and leave overnight for spices to infuse.

·       When ready to case, add 1 US ounce or 25 mL red wine per lb of meat (approx. ½ bottle per 10 kg shoulder). Tip, add 2 crushed garlic cloves to each bottle of wine used, and allow to infuse overnight, prior to mixing into meat.

·       Add 2.5 tablespoons of baking soda per 10 lbs of meat, to act as binder. For a 10 kg shoulder (bone in) need to add approx. 5 tablespoons.

·       Mix thoroughly, then start casing.

·       Need approximately 3 x 18m hog casing (container) for 4 shoulders, but to be safe get 1 container per shoulder.

·       2 x 10 kg shoulders (bone in) makes just over 1000” of sausage.

·       Cook at 250F to 275F to an internal of 155F … important to not overcook.

Napoleon Prestige Pro 665, XL BGE, Lots of time for BBQ!