Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Sausage recipe thread - post 'em here

Options

Comments

• lkapigian
    lkapigian Posts: 10,769
    Options
    lkapigian said:
    lkapigian said:
    40 pounds of Smoked Linguica on deck 

Finally got around to cleaning these up and into a salt cure for a couple days

Finally got around to grinding mixing and stuffing, still broke that up over a couple days...will smoke in a couple days 

Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • Elijah
    Elijah Posts: 689
    Options
  • QDude
    QDude Posts: 1,052
    Options
    Wow!!!  I may have to start doing this when I retire.

Northern Colorado Egghead since 2012.

XL BGE and a KBQ.

• SciAggie
    SciAggie Posts: 6,481
    Options
    @lkapigian That looks so good. 
    Coleman, Texas
    Large BGE & Mini Max for the wok. A few old camp Dutch ovens and a wood fired oven. LSG 24” cabinet offset smoker. There are a few paella pans and a Patagonia cross in the barn. A curing chamber for bacterial transformation of meats...
    "Bourbon slushies. Sure you can cook on the BGE without them, but why would you?"
                                                                                                                          YukonRon
  • BUFFALOMOOSE
    Options
    @lkapigian how about reversing the process. Smoke then sous vide?
    South Buffalo, New York
  • lkapigian
    Options
    That would be safer, I've seen people smoke then poach..you can get the snap back when you grill or fry it up...
    Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • lkapigian
    Options
    Almost there ....abiut 7 hours in, started @ 100 bumping 10 degrees an hour, pecan for wood 

Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • SciAggie
    Options
    That looks so good.
    Coleman, Texas
    Large BGE & Mini Max for the wok. A few old camp Dutch ovens and a wood fired oven. LSG 24” cabinet offset smoker. There are a few paella pans and a Patagonia cross in the barn. A curing chamber for bacterial transformation of meats...
    "Bourbon slushies. Sure you can cook on the BGE without them, but why would you?"
                                                                                                                          YukonRon
  • lkapigian
    Options
    SciAggie said:
    That looks so good.
    Thanks @sciaggie , coming from the great job you did, I appreciate it
    Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • kdink
    kdink Posts: 336
    Options
    Looking for a pork sausage recipe that uses Jalapeno remember seeing one someplace but cannot find it.  Any help appreciated!
    2 Xl's, MM and Forno Bello
    Pizza Oven in Bergen County, NJ
  • lkapigian
    Options
    @kdink , look a couple pages back in this thread @The Cen-Tex Smoker Texas Beef Sausage is killer, it has become one of my Go To's
    Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • kdink
    Options
    @lkapigian, was looking for pork only but been wanting to try that, so that it will be.  thanks

• lkapigian
    Options
    kdink said:
    @lkapigian, was looking for pork only but been wanting to try that, so that it will be.  thanks

@kdink sub pork for beef, or do a simple 100% pork 1.5-2% salt .5 % pepper add jalapenos to suit, that won't disappoint 
    Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • kdink
    Options
    lkapigian said:
    kdink said:

@kdink sub pork for beef, or do a simple 100% pork 1.5-2% salt .5 % pepper add jalapenos to suit, that won't disappoint 
    Followed it loosely, came out awesome. Vey please. The added beer was nice touch. Made Italian Hor and Sweet along with the Jalapeño (twisted ones)
  • lkapigian
    edited December 2020
    Options
    kdink said:
    lkapigian said:
    kdink said:

Followed it loosely, came out awesome. Vey please. The added beer was nice touch. Made Italian Hor and Sweet along with the Jalapeño (twisted ones)
    Awesome @kdink ! Color is amazing 
    Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    Has anyone tried to sous vide the fresh sausage first to an internal temp of 160 and then use the BGE and A-MAZ-N smoker to smoke them?  If so, how were the results?  If not, what do you guys think?  Thinking that this way would be very convenient.  The only problem I see is the casing reaction to the sous vide and being able to get a nice snap from it.

Also, I see above @SciAggie only went to an internal of 145 degrees.  What is the sweet spot when using Cure 1?
    I do this all the time. It works great. Can get a good sear without bursting the casings when you SV or poach them before the sear. 
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    I only SV things like brats or Italians. I smoke any cured sausages in the KBQ. you can smoke down to 150 in there so i go low and slow to make sure the casings don’t burst. 
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • lkapigian
    Options
    Not a recipe but a teqnique I finally did, and will do again, adding pig skin to the sausage as a binder and ingredient , delicious , rich goodness 

This was a Chipotle sausage ....1.75% salt .2% dextrose .1% sugar , 1-2" cubes and cured for 2 days ....for the Chipotle , I took some that I had smoked last year . added roasted garlic oregano black pepper and cumin ( .2% on spices) ....cut skin in stops boiled the skin for 30 minutes, chilled well and ground with the rest of the pork ...i did add additional 10 hard fat to the picnic 

Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • SciAggie
    Options
    That sounds interesting. I also need to learn how to link sausages that way.
    Coleman, Texas
                                                                                                                          YukonRon
  • lkapigian
    Options
    @SciAggie

If I dont have much, i do the first method, if a lot the second "Tri Link" 

https://youtu.be/Gpke8_VczxY
    Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • SonVolt
    SonVolt Posts: 3,314
    edited January 2021
    Options
    This thread is awesome. 

So - if I'm making an Italian sausage recipe that calls for 80/20 pork to fat, do I  add 20% pure fat on top of the fat that's already contained in the pork shoulder? Or am I somehow supposed to estimate how fatty the pork shoulder is and add this to the 20%?
    South of Nashville  -  BGE XL  -  Alfresco 42" ALXE  -  Alfresco Versa Burner  - Sunbeam Microwave 
  • SciAggie
    Options
    @SonVolt More experienced folks may correct me - it's my understanding pork shoulder is about 70/30 meat/fat. If a recipe calls for 80/20 you might start with 80% lean pork loin and add 20% back fat. I think the term estimate is important here.
    Coleman, Texas
                                                                                                                          YukonRon
  • lkapigian
    edited January 2021
    Options
    SonVolt said:
    This thread is awesome. 

So - if I'm making an Italian sausage recipe that calls for 80/20 pork to fat, do I  add 20% pure fat on top of the fat that's already contained in the pork shoulder? Or am I somehow supposed to estimate how fatty the pork shoulder is and add this to the 20%?
    @SonVolt typically boston butt will get you there with no added fat ...That being said , the hard fat is what you need and the intramuscular fat in a Butt is a little  different ....I seperate my fat from lean then add 20 -30% to the lean....but there is nothing wrong with just slicing up a butt and not worrying about it and grind away...I used to do it that way all the time, just pickier now 
    Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • SonVolt
    SonVolt Posts: 3,314
    edited January 2021
    Options
    lkapigian said:
    SonVolt said:
    This thread is awesome. 

@SonVolt typically boston butt will get you there with no added fat ...That being said , the hard fat is what you need and the intramuscular fat in a Butt is a little  different ....I seperate my fat from lean then add 20 -30% to the lean....but there is nothing wrong with just slicing up a butt and not worrying about it and grind away...I used to do it that way all the time, just pickier now 

Interesting. So if you're using pork butt, you'll separate the fat-cap, then separate the muscles, then trim away the sinewy-looking fat between the muscles (and discard) then add back the appropriate amount of the harder fat cap? 
    South of Nashville  -  BGE XL  -  Alfresco 42" ALXE  -  Alfresco Versa Burner  - Sunbeam Microwave 
  • lkapigian
    Options
    SonVolt said:
    lkapigian said:
    SonVolt said:
    This thread is awesome. 

Interesting. So if you're using pork butt, you'll separate the fat-cap, then separate the muscles, then trim away the sinewy-looking fat between the muscles (and discard) then add back the appropriate amount of the harder fat cap? 
    @SonVolt I do, but you will make a fine sausage by not doing it...it just changes the quality ( removing connective tissue ) , as far as separating the fat, no flavor difference @ all but in a "smoked" ( or cured ) product I like to see the particle definition ....
    Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    Larry, have you ever made Krakowska?  How is it?  Just thinking of a way to use some loins I have in my freezer.
    edited January 2021
    Options
    Larry, have you ever made Krakowska?  How is it?  Just thinking of a way to use some loins I have in my freezer.
    I have not, but Eric did back in November on his channel I was looking at trying it 

https://youtu.be/MubMWKlfMzs
    Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • BUFFALOMOOSE
    Options
    I received a 25 pound Big Bite tilt Sausage mixer for Christmas and have been deliberating whether or not to return it because I like to do 5 pounds of this, 5 pounds of that with my 20 pound butt package.  Then I got to thinking what if I ground and mixed the whole 20 pounds with no seasoning in it to almost the desired consistency  and separate it into the portions I wanted and hand mixed the spices in?  LEM has a smaller 20 pound one, but with only 5 pounds, the stuff that I have read says the mixer doesn't do a good job with only 20 to 25% capacity.  Any Thoughts?
    South Buffalo, New York
  • lkapigian
    edited January 2021
    Options
    @BUFFALOMOOSE you could certainly do that....if it were me and doing it that way I would do 20 pounds with salt and cure ( if used ) mix all together to bind , then break down as you say...I always salt cure my meat with no seasoning for a couple days and add seasoning in the last step ( always as in the last year, don’t think I’ll ever go back )
    Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • BUFFALOMOOSE
    Options
    Thanks Larry. I love the idea of salting and curing first even with a big batch. 
    South Buffalo, New York