Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Sausage recipe thread - post 'em here

Options

Comments

• caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    Options
    poster said:
     Made 5 5lb batches today.
    @Mark_B_Good italian, @caliking masalawurst, @lkapigian linguica, @Sea2Ski italian, and 1 other from another site. Gonna wait until tomorrow for a taste test. 
    And, BTW, that's an awesome mix of sausage you've got there. I'd call dibs on the linguica. 

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • Mark_B_Good
    Mark_B_Good Posts: 1,521
    Options
    poster said:
    @Mark_B_Good italian, @caliking masalawurst, @lkapigian linguica, @Sea2Ski italian, and 1 other from another site. Gonna wait until tomorrow for a taste test.
    How did they turn out? Did you taste them?
    Napoleon Prestige Pro 665, XL BGE, Lots of time for BBQ!
  • lkapigian
    lkapigian Posts: 10,767
    Options
    poster said:
    Was just going to ask that lol ….
    Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • poster
    poster Posts: 1,172
    Options
    lkapigian said:
    poster said:
    Just seen this, as i was coming back here to put up a question, sorry I didn't answer. Everything was awesome, so much so I am now out.

As for the question, does anyone have a recipe or suggestions for a cabbage and rice sausage? I had these once a few years back from a store in Grand Marais, MN and they were great. I would like to duplicate it,  but not to sure how much or what kind of rice and how much cabbage to add? I think just basic salt and pepper for seasoning. Maybe onion or tomato paste may go well in here too, but is tomato a bad idea with the acidity? I guess what im going for is almost like a cased cabbage roll

• lkapigian
    Options
    poster said:
    lkapigian said:
    poster said:
    Just seen this, as i was coming back here to put up a question, sorry I didn't answer. Everything was awesome, so much so I am now out.

As for the question, does anyone have a recipe or suggestions for a cabbage and rice sausage? I had these once a few years back from a store in Grand Marais, MN and they were great. I would like to duplicate it,  but not to sure how much or what kind of rice and how much cabbage to add? I think just basic salt and pepper for seasoning. Maybe onion or tomato paste may go well in here too, but is tomato a bad idea with the acidity? I guess what im going for is almost like a cased cabbage roll

Can’t say that I’ve had it, was it like a Boudin where everything was cooked then stuffed ? You definitely want your rice, and I would think, your cabbage cooked first…I’ve done plenty of boudin and would go that route 
    Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • poster
    Options
     It was raw, well the pork part anyway. I will try a small batch and see what happens. I agree the rice and cabbage will have to be cooked first. I'll try a brown rice maybe as i think that would be less likely to go mushy.
  • Mark_B_Good
    Options
    So, how are you guys mixing the seasoning into the meat. We made a mistake ... we hand mixed in the tubs. So, we figured some sausages are a bit too salty and others maybe need a pinch of salt.

My dad said he would spread the meat about 1" thick across a table, then sprinkle the seasoning evenly over the meat, then squish it on the spot (not folded) .... and keep doing that until he had several piles of it, then squished those together ... much better method for mixing.
  • lkapigian
    Options
    So, how are you guys mixing the seasoning into the meat. We made a mistake ... we hand mixed in the tubs. So, we figured some sausages are a bit too salty and others maybe need a pinch of salt.

My dad said he would spread the meat about 1" thick across a table, then sprinkle the seasoning evenly over the meat, then squish it on the spot (not folded) .... and keep doing that until he had several piles of it, then squished those together ... much better method for mixing.
    I salt a couple days ahead and let the meat cure , then make a slurry so the spices hydrate, then I’ll marinate before grinding at least another day then grind and mix …I use a tub for smaller batches , 20 pounds and up I use a mixer …your dads method is very traditional 
    Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • poster
    Options
    I bought a cheap mixer off Amazon. Mixes well and takes little to no effort.

Oh ya the cabbage and rice sausages above turned out great. Will make agian for sure with a few minor tweaks. We also made Jamaican jerk and the masalawurst again. All turned out awesome 
  • Mark_B_Good
    Options
    Yeah, my buddy is buying a mixer this year ... so that will make it easier for us. You live and learn ...
  • lkapigian
    Options
    Yeah, my buddy is buying a mixer this year ... so that will make it easier for us. You live and learn ...
    I highly recommend getting one where the tub has rounded corners,buy one bigger than you think as well....they say there is a minimum amount you can put in, I found this not to be true, my 50 pound mixer does 20 pound batches just fine and the extra space is nice 
    Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • Mark_B_Good
    Options
    lkapigian said:
    I highly recommend getting one where the tub has rounded corners,buy one bigger than you think as well....they say there is a minimum amount you can put in, I found this not to be true, my 50 pound mixer does 20 pound batches just fine and the extra space is nice 
    Thanks for the advice, just sent this to my buddy.

• lkapigian
    Options
    October is National Sausage Month- A great lineup of youtubers this year ...even have one of mine in the mix again 

https://youtu.be/pI2JtyS3RuY
    Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • BUFFALOMOOSE
    Options
    Forgot about sausage month but kinda glad I did so I can now watch a bunch in a row.  The last one in the series is Brain Sausage.  Will watch because I am splitting a pig with a co-worker in a couple months, however that may be a bit too much.  @lkapigian, which episode is your recipe in? 
    South Buffalo, New York
  • lkapigian
    Options
    Forgot about sausage month but kinda glad I did so I can now watch a bunch in a row.  The last one in the series is Brain theSausage.  Will watch because I am splitting a pig with a co-worker in a couple months, however that may be a bit too much.  @lkapigian, which episode is your recipe in? 
    The Texas Chili is mine, spoke with Eric last week, he’s selling it now, I should get commission 
    Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • Elijah
    Elijah Posts: 688
    Options
    @ikapigian do you mean selling the sausage itself? 
  • BUFFALOMOOSE
    Options
    Congrats Larry.  Certainly high praise from Eric saying possibly the best sausage in all of the 3 seasons and a perfect sausage.  Looking forward to making it. Thanks for sharing.
    South Buffalo, New York
  • lkapigian
    Options
    Elijah said:
    @ikapigian do you mean selling the sausage itself? 
    Yes, Eric’s primary business is pre selling meal prep food 
    Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • lkapigian
    Options
    Congrats Larry.  Certainly high praise from Eric saying possibly the best sausage in all of the 3 seasons and a perfect sausage.  Looking forward to making it. Thanks for sharing.
    Thanks @BUFFALOMOOSE , last season he did my linquica if you haven’t seen that yet
    Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    Options
    Very cool, @lkapigian!

The video link doesn't work. What should I search for, to take a peek at it?

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • lkapigian
    Options
    caliking said:
    Very cool, @lkapigian!

The video link doesn't work. What should I search for, to take a peek at it?
    Thanks @caliking try this https://youtu.be/dpTex768_Bo

Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • BUFFALOMOOSE
    Options
    Larry, what a beautiful sight!!  Awesome job.  For folks who don't know it, Larry's recipe was featured in 2 Guys and a Cooler Sausage month on Youtube  late last year and the guy is now using Larry's recipe and selling the sausage.  Certainly a compliment but Larry should be rewarded.
    South Buffalo, New York
  • RLS
    RLS Posts: 41
    Options
    Those look fantastic. I have watched 2 Guys video that has Larry’s recipe, I will be putting that one in my must do file. I do have one question for the group, after smoking sausage or snack sticks, I’m supposed to let it “bloom” overnight. Is this step, covered or uncover in the refrigerator? Looking forward to expanding my novice sausage making skills.

Thanks to all on this forum for the knowledge I’ve gained over the years.

Rick
    Rick in Tampa
  • lkapigian
    Options
    RLS said:
    Those look fantastic. I have watched 2 Guys video that has Larry’s recipe, I will be putting that one in my must do file. I do have one question for the group, after smoking sausage or snack sticks, I’m supposed to let it “bloom” overnight. Is this step, covered or uncover in the refrigerator? Looking forward to expanding my novice sausage making skills.

Thanks to all on this forum for the knowledge I’ve gained over the years.

Rick
    Thanks @BUFFALOMOOSE @RLS … I bloom uncovered at room temp, does not take long , once everything is good and dry ( if you quick chilled after smoking, then I will refrigerate 
    Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • RLS
    RLS Posts: 41
    Options
    Thank you for sharing your process.

Rick
    Rick in Tampa
  • buzd504
    buzd504 Posts: 3,824
    Options
    lkapigian said:
    “ A Bowl Of Red” Texas Chili Sausage with Cheese, also converted some to snack sticks

Holy crap that looks cook.  Will be trying.
    NOLA
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,393
    Options
    Congrats @lkapigian.  That looks incredible.
    And all this time I thought this thread was about how the Congress works!   =)
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • lkapigian
    Options
    lousubcap said:
    Congrats @lkapigian.  That looks incredible.
    And all this time I thought this thread was about how the Congress works!   =)
    LoL, thanks @lousubcap
    Visalia, Ca @lkapigian