Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Pandemic updates 2.0

Comments

• Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,429
    Looking forward to seeing Noem's way of sugarcoating this (I grew up in South Dakota)  .
    Tokyo is also seeing a huge surge in cases, after the olympics.  

"I mean, I don't just kill guys, I'm notorious for doing in houseplants."  - Maggie, Northern Exposure

• nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Botch said:
    Looking forward to seeing Noem's way of sugarcoating this (I grew up in South Dakota)  .
    I can't help but wonder what would happen to used HD prices if x percent of the owners die or become too disabled to ride.

On second thought, who cares.
    Botch said:
    I can't help but wonder what would happen to used HD prices if x percent of the owners die or become too disabled to ride.

the demand for used harleys right now is so high it would not matter. place across the street transports bikes to sturgis every year, around 40 to 60 bikes, he is half booked for next year already
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • nolaegghead
    Botch said:

the demand for used harleys right now is so high it would not matter. place across the street transports bikes to sturgis every year, around 40 to 60 bikes, he is half booked for next year already
    Must be some regional differences.  HDs where I'm at are a dime a dozen on the used market.   Worst investment ever....they depreciate like rocks off the lot.  I bought a 1200 Sportster with 800 miles for $2700.

I think maybe this is related to the dealers financing anyone with a pulse.  And an endless supply of middle-aged men (and women) having a mid-life crisis and wanting to be a "tough-guy" rebel.  They buy a new bike and drop it a few times, then it mostly sits in their garage until they realize "making payments on something I don't use sucks". 

Botch said:

Must be some regional differences.  HDs where I'm at are a dime a dozen on the used market.   Worst investment ever....they depreciate like rocks off the lot.  I bought a 1200 Sportster with 800 miles for $2700.

I think maybe this is related to the dealers financing anyone with a pulse.  And an endless supply of middle-aged men (and women) having a mid-life crisis and wanting to be a "tough-guy" rebel.  They buy a new bike and drop it a few times, then it mostly sits in their garage until they realize "making payments on something I don't use sucks". 

short season for bikes here, maybe the market doesnt get as flooded.  was a time when we would push guys in a foot of snow to get the bike moving, now its too wet, roads are too sandy, dunkin donuts is out of pumpkin lattes....
    fukahwee maine

• nolaegghead
    HighHeat said:
    From that:

The CDC says that while “in general, you do not need to wear a mask in outdoor settings,” people should consider it because of the potential dangers if they don’t.

“In areas with high numbers of COVID-19 cases, consider wearing a mask in crowded outdoor settings and for activities with close contact with others who are not fully vaccinated,” the agency says on its website.

I would bet that crowd was vaccinated. 

Maybe we should focus on the pandemic of the unvaccinated, because they're perpetuating it.

edited August 2021
    <deleted>
    canuckland
  • JohnInCarolina
    JohnInCarolina Posts: 30,867
    Don’t feed the trolls.
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • nolaegghead
    Don’t feed the trolls.
    Right.  I realized that after my post.

I wonder which animal drugs are next up no the conspiracy miracle cure list....maybe PCP (Phencyclidine)? 

"Angle dust is a gift from the Jesus and the angels, it cures covid better than the microchip!"

The secret flaggot strikes again. Oh well maybe it keeps him out of mischief.
  • nolaegghead
    The secret flaggot strikes again. Oh well maybe it keeps him out of mischief.
    I don't even notice them anymore.  Feel sorry for him, must be terrible having a tiny ween and suffering the prospects of eternal hell for being a terrible human being and angering god.

Flag this if you want to rot in hell, loser!
    God here.  I posted the above in nola's name.
    His mommy must have taken off of restriction and given him puter privileges again. 
  • Botch
    This is behind the WaPo paywall, and I had to truncate it, but the gist is in the first few paragraphs.

A Calif. elementary school teacher took off her mask for a read-aloud. Within days, half her class was positive for delta.

Ariana Eunjung Cha10:24 a.m. EDT

A CDC-funded simulation projects that without masking or testing, up to 75 percent of children under 12 could be infected within three months.

Winston Wallace, 9, raises his hand on Aug. 23, the first day of school, at iPrep Academy in Miami-Dade County, where masks are mandatory for everyone. (AP Photo/Lynne Sladky)

The Marin County, Calif., elementary school had been conscientious about following covid-19 protocols. Masks were required indoors, desks were spaced six feet apart, and the students kept socially distant. But the delta variant found an opening anyway.

On May 19, one teacher, who was not vaccinated against the coronavirus, began feeling fatigued and had some nasal congestion. She dismissed it as allergies and powered through. While she was usually masked, she made an exception for story time so she could read to the class.

By the time she learned she was positive for the coronavirus two days later, half her class of 24 had been infected — nearly all of them in the two rows closest to her desk — and the outbreak had spread to other classes, siblings and parents, including some who were fully vaccinated.

“The mask was off only momentarily, not an entire day or hours. We want to make the point that this is not the teacher’s fault — everyone lets their guard down — but the thing is delta takes advantage of slippage from any kind of protective measures,” Tracy Lam-Hine, an epidemiologist for the county, said in an interview.

The case study, published by the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention and highlighted by CDC director Rochelle Walensky during a briefing on Friday, highlights the potential danger for children under the age of 12 — the only group in the United States ineligible for coronavirus vaccines as a hyper-infectious variant tears across the country.

Just this month in Brevard County, Fla., 1,623 children were infected and more than 8,000 students were quarantined. And in the Atlanta area, thousands of positive cases were confirmed in schools with 23,000 students and staff have been quarantined. The situation has turned the nation’s schools into ideological battlegrounds — with one angry parent ripping off a mask from a teacher’s face in a Texas school this month, and parents both for and against masks filing lawsuits against their children’s school districts.

Without concerted efforts to curb delta’s transmission, things are likely to get worse in coming months. A simulation posted this month by a CDC-funded lab predictedthat in elementary schools without either masks or regular testing, 75 percent of children might be infected with the coronavirus in the first three months.

The delta variant-fueled surge has put new pressure on the Food and Drug Administration to authorize the vaccine for younger children as soon as possible. It has thrown school reopening plans into disarray, with some officials scrambling to impose vaccines mandates for staff, as well as universal mask mandates. And it has frightened and bewildered many parents, unsure how to protect their kids.

“It’s hard to put our heads around this,” Julie Swann, an expert in mathematical modeling at North Carolina State University who leads the team that published the school transmission study and a mother to a 10-year-old. “As parents, we are having to wrestle with these really hard notions of expected risk.”

Vaccines for children ages 5 to 11 had been widely expected to be available in the early fall, but to the surprise of many, federal regulators asked vaccine companies in late July to double the number of trial participants to include several thousand more children. The FDA is seeking to better understand the vaccines’ link to a rare but potentially serious inflammation of the heart muscle known as myocarditis and pericarditis that has predominantly affected younger males, and to learn whether it might affect younger children as well.

National Institutes of Health Director Francis Collins and vaccine makers have indicated that the expansion of the pediatric testing means a vaccine for younger children is unlikely before the end of the year, or perhaps even early 2022.

That forecast has spurred alarm among some public officials and health providers, with more than 180,000 new child covid-19 cases confirmed in the week ending Aug. 19 — an up to 20-fold increase over weeks in June when summer breaks began.

Politicians and experts are weighing options to impose mask protocols and local vaccine mandates to effectively curb spread of coronavirus. (Blair Guild/The Washington Post)

This week, Maryland Gov. Larry Hogan (R) called on regulators to expedite approval for 5- to 11-year-olds. “Getting our children vaccinated is critical to giving parents greater peace of mind, but we are being told approval is still months away,” he said.

The American Academy of Family Physicians warned that “the risk for severe and long-lasting impacts on health outcomes in unvaccinated children is increasing.”

"I mean, I don't just kill guys, I'm notorious for doing in houseplants."  - Maggie, Northern Exposure

• Gulfcoastguy
    Gulfcoastguy Posts: 6,286
    So a dumb witch who was in charge of children didn't get vaccinated. The school board out to put an extra charge of $400.00 per month on the health insurance of any school employee that doesn't get vaccinated plus $400 per month for any unvaccinated dependents over 12 years old on their policy. In the meantime, just how many lawsuits will be filed against the school.
  • dmchicago
    dmchicago Posts: 4,516
    Jessica Wallace told the newspaper she didn’t always share her husband’s views and that she wears a mask.

Maybe there’s hope for the kids. 
    Philly - Kansas City - Houston - Cincinnati - Dallas - Houston - Memphis - Austin - Chicago - Austin

Large BGE. OONI 16, TOTO Washlet S550e (Now with enhanced Motherly Hugs!)

"If I wanted my balls washed, I'd go to the golf course!"
    Dennis - Austin,TX
  • Botch

:lol:  

• JohnInCarolina
    That does seem like a very Christian thing to say, amirite?!?!?
  • StillH2OEgger
    StillH2OEgger Posts: 3,741
    Nobody seems to want to acknowledge all of the violent christian extremists running rampant in this country.
    Stillwater, MN
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,665
    Nobody seems to want to acknowledge all of the violent christian extremists running rampant in this country.

you should see how they dive into a platter of donuts in new england after services, very violent =)
    fukahwee maine

• JohnInCarolina
    Just a little video on the Pfizer vaccine. It's beginning to look like we will need a third dose in the US.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wNbs4LCgrcY
    So, I don't know if you caught it, Gulfcoastguy, but this same doc here can be found in a recent YouTube video supporting the use of Ivermectin.  I think it would be too strong to say that he's a quack, but I'm not sure he's a source I'd necessarily look to trust for information on covid in general.  Just an FYI.