Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Brisket..... How I do it.

Comments

• lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,168
    Every time this gets a bump a brisket cook goes south.   =)
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • GoldenQ
    GoldenQ Posts: 565
    Admit it you are Jealous
    I XL  and 1 Weber Kettle  And 1 Weber Q220       Outside Alvin, TX-- South of Houston
  • RyanStl
    RyanStl Posts: 1,050
    edited October 2020
    This is my bratwurst method, but with sliced apples added.

Funny thing is if you read the early pages everyone is like this is great.
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    lousubcap said:
    ...at least it doesn't rise up to "god kills a kitten" egregious. 
    Bump for @lousubcap
    Ubi panis, ibi patria.
    Large - Roswell rig, MiniMax-PS Woo; Cocoa, Fl.
  • kl8ton
    kl8ton Posts: 5,410
    Bump for @dstearn 

Maybe there is some FTC info in here.

Large, Medium, MiniMax, & 22, and 36" Blackstone
    Grand Rapids MI
  • JohnInCarolina
    JohnInCarolina Posts: 30,867
    LOL
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,669
    Now living part time only about 55 miles away hope to reconnect with Travis and family soon. 
    Guessing a few of you remember his Dad bringing a whole sack full of oysters to a Salado Fest and the after party that night. 
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• nolaegghead
    @mickey Travis is locked out of the forum from that same fiasco they had that locked out other long-time users.  I have his number if you need it just let me know.
    bump?
  • IT WORKED!!!! THANK YOU!!!!
  • Dondgc
    Dondgc Posts: 709
    lousubcap said:
    Truth…this is a thread that needs to die. 
    New Orleans LA
  • JohnInCarolina
    Bump?
  • GregW
    GregW Posts: 2,676
    When this thread once again arises from the dead, it really lifts my spirits.
  • johnmitchell
    johnmitchell Posts: 6,545
    Going to eventually try this method. Just ordered a SRF gold brisky, do you think I should trim the fat or leave on?
    Greensboro North Carolina
    When in doubt Accelerate....
  • nolaegghead
    Going to eventually try this method. Just ordered a SRF gold brisky, do you think I should trim the fat or leave on?
    According to Travis's instructions:

"Trim fat off of meat to an even thickness. About 1/4 inch is fine."

I agree with that. 

But use a premium beer.  Shiner Bock is fine for pedestrian brisket.  SRF deserves an Allegheny or equivalent.  Also play something classy on the stereo....you'd be surprised how brisket responds to music with class.  It tastes better.

I've never thought of this as the method I would use on a high quality brisket.  It's what I would use on a flat to try to maximize moisture on a piece of meat that is prone to dry out.

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• johnmitchell
    johnmitchell Posts: 6,545
    @Foghorn 😉
    Greensboro North Carolina
    When in doubt Accelerate....
  • GoldenQ
    GoldenQ Posts: 565
    I use it modified by putting the brisket on a drying rack over a drip pan and omitting the onions.   Then after wrapping I put in oven.   I use for select or choice meat not prime or SRF. I use shiner bock beer and spritz with apple juice or apple cider.    My rub of choice is just Dizzy dust coarse.   If just flat then I use it Travis style to braise for tenderness.

I XL  and 1 Weber Kettle  And 1 Weber Q220       Outside Alvin, TX-- South of Houston
  • SSQUAL612
    SSQUAL612 Posts: 1,186
    Will Travis be attending Brisket Camp to demo his method?
    Tyler, TX   XL BGE 2016, KJ Classic 2019,  MES, 18.5 WSM,  Akorn Jr,  36"&17" Black Stone, Adj Rig, Woo, Grill Grates, SS Smokeware Cap, KAB,  FB 300, Thermapen 
  • nolaegghead
    SSQUAL612 said:
    not sure if he is coming, but if he is, I'm pretty sure the demo would be a "no"

SSQUAL612 said:
    not sure if he is coming, but if he is, I'm pretty sure the demo would be a "no"

Was kinda hoping to cross two things off my bucket list in one trip.  Oh well…it’s New Orleans so I’m sure there’s a good probability of an opportunity to cross off a couple more.
    Tyler, TX   XL BGE 2016, KJ Classic 2019,  MES, 18.5 WSM,  Akorn Jr,  36"&17" Black Stone, Adj Rig, Woo, Grill Grates, SS Smokeware Cap, KAB,  FB 300, Thermapen 
  • JohnInCarolina
    SSQUAL612 said:
    SSQUAL612 said:

Was kinda hoping to cross two things off my bucket list in one trip.  Oh well…it’s New Orleans so I’m sure there’s a good probability of an opportunity to cross off a couple more.
    Jäger jell-o shots served by a vertically challenged waitress is … a very specific item to have on a bucket list.
  • lousubcap
    @SSQUAL612 - If you run out of bucket list entertainment in New Orleans you need to give Drago's chargrilled oysters a go.  He!!, upon further review you should move that stop up to number 2 just behind Brisket Camp. Thank me later.  
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • lkapigian
    lkapigian Posts: 10,708
    SSQUAL612 said:
    SSQUAL612 said:

Jäger jell-o shots served by a vertically challenged waitress is … a very specific item to have on a bucket list.
    LoL
    Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • SSQUAL612
    SSQUAL612 said:
    SSQUAL612 said:

I’m all about the details…not so much about the Jägermeister, it’s more about the whipped cream. GIGGETY!
  • SSQUAL612
    lousubcap said:
    @SSQUAL612 - If you run out of bucket list entertainment in New Orleans you need to give Drago's chargrilled oysters a go.  He!!, upon further review you should move that stop up to number 2 just behind Brisket Camp. Thank me later.  
    Yes…better load up on some oysters first.  Thanks for the tip, I’ve heard of ACME Oyster House, but not Drago’s.  
  • SSQUAL612 said:
    lousubcap said:
    Yes…better load up on some oysters first.  Thanks for the tip, I’ve heard of ACME Oyster House, but not Drago’s.  
    Next time in or around Mobile Alabama check out the Oyster house, they Grill 
    oysters on the half shell with bacon. Dayum good
  • lousubcap
    @SSQUAL612 This past April thanks to @nolaegghead jonesing to throw a crawfish boil, that was enough to seal the deal.  I have been chasing chargrilled oysters for a couple of years and heard and read that Drago's was the epicenter.  Couldn't justify a trip just for the oysters but once the boil was on the agenda it was a no brainer.  Friggin rained the whole time but each destination was worth it and a great weekend.
    I also hit up Acme but Drago's oysters were hands down more plump and flavorful.  
    The crawfish boil was a whole 'nother experience and I will go again should the event happen and the invite extended.
    For you lurkers:  No Linda did not show up.  A heart-break on the side.   B)
  • lkapigian
    lkapigian Posts: 10,708
    @lousubcap , will you be attending BC
    Visalia, Ca @lkapigian