Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

OT - What are you doing right now?

Options

Comments

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,747
    Options
    flattened out my first sharpening stone on two sides, its as hard if not harder than my black surgical. (bought this out of an old barn fifty years ago, thinking its atleast 150) had to use a diamond stone on it.  @sgh, do they have translucent brown stones, its harder than i can imagine a farmer having and it looks like the stone was worked on the blade, not the blade on the stone. also maybe my first wood working project, oh the talent

fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    Options
    @fishlessman
    I am not an expert on the subject but I have did a lot of reading and research through the years on novaculite stones. Also I collected many of them. 
    At one time when novaculite was abundant, there was a grade called “true hard”. It’s hardness was on par with translucent. However it came in several colors and combinations of colors. 
    Looking at the picture and hearing your evaluation of the stone I would say that it is one of the stones classed as a “true hard”. Also it’s age fits. Along with washita, true hard was rarer than the other grades. Also in the mid 80’s you began seeing fewer and fewer of both of these stones as more and more novaculite was mined away. 
    Again, based on its age, color and hardness I would say it’s probably a true hard. And either a Pike or a Noton/Pike. 

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• fishlessman
    Options
    SGH said:
    @fishlessman
    I am not an expert on the subject but I have did a lot of reading and research through the years on novaculite stones. Also I collected many of them. 
    At one time when novaculite was abundant, there was a grade called “true hard”. It’s hardness was on par with translucent. However it came in several colors and combinations of colors. 
    Looking at the picture and hearing your evaluation of the stone I would say that it is one of the stones classed as a “true hard”. Also it’s age fits. Along with washita, true hard was rarer than the other grades. Also in the mid 80’s you began seeing fewer and fewer of both of these stones as more and more novaculite was mined away. 
    Again, based on its age, color and hardness I would say it’s probably a true hard. And either a Pike or a Noton/Pike. 

good to know,  it was hard enough to flatten out some defects on a dmt diamond fine. maybe 3 hours worth of time. i should do one more side and maybe leave the forth somewhat rough
    fukahwee maine

• Foghorn
    Foghorn Posts: 9,834
    Options
    WeberWho said:
    Tractor pull, 312 turkeys in the park, and a full belly this past weekend. 
    Wow @WeberWho.  How many people does 312 turkeys feed?

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    SGH said:
    @fishlessman

good to know,  it was hard enough to flatten out some defects on a dmt diamond fine. maybe 3 hours worth of time. i should do one more side and maybe leave the forth somewhat rough
    diamond bit in a surface mill should do it.

edited June 2021
    Options
    @fishlessman
    This is just a shot in the dark. Do you have any original Pike “Lily White” stones in your collection? I will pay a fair amount for one in 80% condition or better. 
    I’m not looking for the later washita Norton stones as I have a few of those. I’m looking for the Lily Whites that was stamped Pike. Preferably a 8x2. 

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• fishlessman
    Options
    SGH said:
    @fishlessman

i went to look at some big millers in a graphite place once, you should see the damage that causes to the machines, betting a sharpening stone would not be good. i dont even like the belt sanders mixed in with the maching area.
    fukahwee maine

• Foghorn
    Foghorn Posts: 9,834
    Options
    WeberWho said:
    Foghorn said:
    WeberWho said:
    Tractor pull, 312 turkeys in the park, and a full belly this past weekend. 
    Wow @WeberWho.  How many people does 312 turkeys feed?
    @Foghorn

Rumor had it that there was over 3,000 this year. (The town itself has a population of a little over 200 people) 
    That is awesome.

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• fishlessman
    Options
    SGH said:
    @fishlessman
    This is just a shot in the dark. Do you have any original Pike “Lily White” stones in your collection? I will pay a fair amount for one in 80% condition or better. 
    I’m not looking for the later washita Norton stones as I have a few of those. I’m looking for the Lily Whites that was stamped Pike. Preferably a 8x2. 

SGH said:
    @fishlessman

this is my only stone that dates back that far. i think you may be right with it being a pike or a norton /pike stone as i bought it in new hampshire and pike was in nh and norton in mass. some of the pikes were used for scythe blades and the stone was/is hollowed like it was used that way
    fukahwee maine

• nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    SGH said:
    @fishlessman

i went to look at some big millers in a graphite place once, you should see the damage that causes to the machines, betting a sharpening stone would not be good. i dont even like the belt sanders mixed in with the maching area.
    Yeah, probably not a good idea to listen to idiots on a food forum concerning expensive machinery.

I don't know why I didn't think of it, but a diamond disk on a rotary buffer would flatten that stone in no time.  I have a couple water lubricated rotary diamond tools, I'll try it out if I ever have the need.

My wet wheel has a diamond truing attachment that cuts a square edge on the wheel in no time.  I use it sparingly as it cuts the wheel diameter down each time you use it.

Options
    SGH said:
    @fishlessman

Yeah, probably not a good idea to listen to idiots on a food forum concerning expensive machinery.

I don't know why I didn't think of it, but a diamond disk on a rotary buffer would flatten that stone in no time.  I have a couple water lubricated rotary diamond tools, I'll try it out if I ever have the need.

My wet wheel has a diamond truing attachment that cuts a square edge on the wheel in no time.  I use it sparingly as it cuts the wheel diameter down each time you use it.

the graphite place had 2 inch drill bits that looked like carrots and enough graphite dust that the front desk receptionist looked to be playing back face. what a mess
    fukahwee maine

• ColtsFan
    ColtsFan Posts: 6,338
    Options
    Farm house for sale down the road. 2000 sq ft and most of the 113 acres floods. Listed at 1 million doll hairs….. 🧐
    ~ John - https://www.instagram.com/hoosier_egger
    XL BGE, LG BGE, KJ Jr, PK Original, Ardore Pizza Oven, King Disc 
    Bloomington, IN - Hoo Hoo Hoo Hoosiers!

• alaskanassasin
    alaskanassasin Posts: 7,647
    Options
    10k a acre is a bit high around here but it’s around 9 right now
    South of Columbus, Ohio.

• ColtsFan
    ColtsFan Posts: 6,338
    Options
    The fields haven’t had crops for years. It’s a guaranteed crop insurance claim. Floods every year
    ~ John - https://www.instagram.com/hoosier_egger
    XL BGE, LG BGE, KJ Jr, PK Original, Ardore Pizza Oven, King Disc 
    Bloomington, IN - Hoo Hoo Hoo Hoosiers!

• Gulfcoastguy
    Gulfcoastguy Posts: 6,296
    Options
    Well this evening I was charging the car during a rain deluge. Got to within 4 minutes of done and some kid pulled a Porsche Taycan and hooked up to the adjacent charger. No pics, it was raining that hard.
  • ColbyLang
    ColbyLang Posts: 3,420
    Options

Sipping with my neighbor 
  • Eoin
    Eoin Posts: 4,304
    Options
    Good agricultural land is £10k an acre here, so $14k. Being in agriculture has tax advantages, especially inheritance tax, so land has become a place for rich people to park their money.
  • Battleborn
    Battleborn Posts: 3,355
    Options
    Looks like we have a nice cold front moving in over the next couple days. 

Las Vegas, NV

• ColbyLang
    Options

At least it’s a dry heat……
  • fishlessman
    Options

if you subbed the night time temps for the day time temps, thats still too hot for me
    fukahwee maine

• Battleborn
    Options
    ColbyLang said:

At least it’s a dry heat……
    Ha! Not so dry when it’s 118 and you’re wearing a vest with a wool uniform. 

if you subbed the night time temps for the day time temps, thats still too hot for me
    June, July and August are the only months I wished I was still working Graveyard. That 100 degrees hits different when there is no sun to go along with the heat. 
    Las Vegas, NV

• Battleborn
    Options
    Lt Dangle has the right idea
    Reno 91139 Watch the unaired pilot  EWcom

If only I lived in that cesspool of Reno. 
    Las Vegas, NV

• ColbyLang
    Options
    @Battleborn, it’s amazing that after all these years, officers still wear wool/poly uniforms instead of tech fabrics. I can’t imagine wearing that with a vest as well. I work near 10 ovens the size of a large SUV cranking at 425° all day if it helps you any
  • SGH
    Options
    Having some soft shells. 

Status- Standing by.

• JohnInCarolina
    JohnInCarolina Posts: 30,944
    Options
    SGH said:
    Having some soft shells. 

Love those.  Anything fried with its entire anus intact is surely a delicacy.
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • SGH
    Options
    Anything fried with its entire anus intact is surely a delicacy.
    After 10 years we finally agree on something  ;)

Status- Standing by.