Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

What Are You Chef-ing Tonight, Dr?

Options

Comments

• Lit
    Lit Posts: 9,053
    Options
    Some cowboy burgers
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    Lots-o-leftovers
    Options
    (One of the best tools I ever bought, that chamber sealer)
    Options

Oh my
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • Foghorn
    Foghorn Posts: 9,846
    Options
    Great gesture @lousubcap.

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• northGAcock
    northGAcock Posts: 15,164
    edited June 2021
    Options
    Didn't add a description....pulled out of the freezer what I thought was a seasoned (oorubbed) tritip.  Threw in SV.  Was on a conf call all weekend literally 12 hours a day.  Was trying to fix something nice for SWMBO who's coming back from her last day at work (starts a new job in a week after 16 years at this one).

Pulled out of the SV (125F) and realized it was a leg of lamb.  I assumed it was tritip.  Oh well.  Seared on cast iron.

Had fired up the fryer 30 minutes before and beer-battered some asparagus.  Fryer hit temp and then ran out of propane.  Temp was barely in the good range, but the asparagus turned out great despite that.

The "sizzling" sound was apparently annoying to the folks on the other end of my conf call, they muted me B)
    You ain’t doin it right if they don’t mute ya. It’s like getting a flag on a threaded discussion board. 
    Ellijay GA with a Medium & MiniMax

Well, I married me a wife, she's been trouble all my life,
    Run me out in the cold rain and snow
  • SciAggie
    SciAggie Posts: 6,481
    Options
    @Mattman3969 That looks delicious. 
    Coleman, Texas
    Large BGE & Mini Max for the wok. A few old camp Dutch ovens and a wood fired oven. LSG 24” cabinet offset smoker. There are a few paella pans and a Patagonia cross in the barn. A curing chamber for bacterial transformation of meats...
    "Bourbon slushies. Sure you can cook on the BGE without them, but why would you?"
                                                                                                                          YukonRon
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    pasta carbonara
    Options
    pasta carbonara
    One of my favorites. 
    Coleman, Texas
    Large BGE & Mini Max for the wok. A few old camp Dutch ovens and a wood fired oven. LSG 24” cabinet offset smoker. There are a few paella pans and a Patagonia cross in the barn. A curing chamber for bacterial transformation of meats...
    "Bourbon slushies. Sure you can cook on the BGE without them, but why would you?"
                                                                                                                          YukonRon
  • ryantt
    ryantt Posts: 2,532
    Options
    Today was Norah Grace’s last day of school!!!! Every year, starting wayback in preschool, she’s gotten to request that evenings meal.  Last night, I asked what she wanted...quick reply if COW Dad!!!! I want COW!!!!

to the local butcher we went after awards today and let her pick out what she wanted....nothing appealed, so she asked the butcher if he’d be willing to cut her a 3-4inch thick ribeye...I know it’s no longer a steak but a roast....but here it is on the XL Egg.  

Idk why it keeps posting upside down... but we’ve been playing with only building the fire on one side of the xl. 
    XL BGE, KJ classic, Joe Jr, UDS x2 

• shtgunal3
    shtgunal3 Posts: 5,660
    Options
    Thick cut bone in poke chops seared on the mini and finished on the Traeger. Pics later......maybe.

LBGE,SBGE, and a Mini makes three......Sweet home Alabama........ Stay thirsty my friends .

• caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    Options
    ryantt said:

Gotta love a kid who knows what she wants at the butcher's :)

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    Options
    @Mattman3969 - I keep coming back to your cook with the chix and the pears. 

Could you tell me more about the pears? Are they sweet? Sweet and savory? Side item, or meant as dessert on the same plate?

I've seen poached pears, and similar before, but have not tried any form of cooked pears yet. Would really like to. 

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,389
    Options
    ryantt said:
    Today was Norah Grace’s last day of school!!!! Every year, starting wayback in preschool, she’s gotten to request that evenings meal.  Last night, I asked what she wanted...quick reply if COW Dad!!!! I want COW!!!!

to the local butcher we went after awards today and let her pick out what she wanted....nothing appealed, so she asked the butcher if he’d be willing to cut her a 3-4inch thick ribeye...I know it’s no longer a steak but a roast....but here it is on the XL Egg.  

Idk why it keeps posting upside down... but we’ve been playing with only building the fire on one side of the xl. 
    She has great talent and taste.  Great that you all got thru this past school year on the upside given the challenges.
    Congrats to Norah Grace for completing an extremely challenging year and retaining and enhancing her cheffing skills.  She's got talents that needs to be continued to be nurtured.  
    Stay healthy and safe out there-
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Mattman3969
    Mattman3969 Posts: 10,457
    Options
    caliking said:
    @Mattman3969 - I keep coming back to your cook with the chix and the pears. 

Could you tell me more about the pears? Are they sweet? Sweet and savory? Side item, or meant as dessert on the same plate?

I've seen poached pears, and similar before, but have not tried any form of cooked pears yet. Would really like to. 
    @caliking I would call them sweet n savory.  Pretty simple cook.  I just sear the chops or chicken in a pan with EVOO and remove when happy with the color then sear the pears in the same pan for a couple mins each side. When I flip the pears I add about 1/4 cup of fresh OJ to deglaze and some sage strips then the chicken goes back in and spoon done sauce of the meat.  

I ain’t gonna lie I did eat a couple pears with whip cream and cinnamon for desert and they were awesome!   

-----------------------------------------

analyze adapt overcome

2008 -Large BGE. 2013- Small BGE and 2015 - Mini. Henderson, Ky.
  • gmanrva
    gmanrva Posts: 424
    Options
    ryantt said:
    The finish 

Well that looks fantastic!!
    LGE Mechanicsville Va, XLGE Wake Va., LGE Duck NC.
    Formely Gman2 before password debacle 
  • Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,487
    Options
    caliking said:

There is a cuisine(s), which I can't remember right now, that use pears to tenderize meat (there's an enzyme in the pear flesh that does this); I definitely remember grating a pear on a grater and using that in the marinade, in some forgotten cook.  
    As usual, it'll come to me at 0400 tomorrow morning; don't call me, I'll post it a few hours later.   :)  

"Pro-Life" would be twenty students graduating from Sandy Hook next month