Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

What Are You Chef-ing Tonight, Dr?

Options

Comments

• JohnInCarolina
    JohnInCarolina Posts: 30,976
    Options
    Botch said:
    caliking said:
    Could you tell me more about the pears? Are they sweet? Sweet and savory? Side item, or meant as dessert on the same plate?

I've seen poached pears, and similar before, but have not tried any form of cooked pears yet. Would really like to. 
    There is a cuisine(s), which I can't remember right now, that use pears to tenderize meat (there's an enzyme in the pear flesh that does this); I definitely remember grating a pear on a grater and using that in the marinade, in some forgotten cook.  
    As usual, it'll come to me at 0400 tomorrow morning; don't call me, I'll post it a few hours later.   :)  
    Bulgogi marinade recipes often use some pear.
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    Options
    Botch said:
    caliking said:
    Could you tell me more about the pears? Are they sweet? Sweet and savory? Side item, or meant as dessert on the same plate?

I've seen poached pears, and similar before, but have not tried any form of cooked pears yet. Would really like to. 
    There is a cuisine(s), which I can't remember right now, that use pears to tenderize meat (there's an enzyme in the pear flesh that does this); I definitely remember grating a pear on a grater and using that in the marinade, in some forgotten cook.  
    As usual, it'll come to me at 0400 tomorrow morning; don't call me, I'll post it a few hours later.   :)  
    Bulgogi marinade recipes often use some pear.
    Yes, I've used pears in marinades. Never had cooked pears before (like poached, etc.), but they always look tasty. It's been on my list for a while. FOMO, I guess. 

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • caliking
    Options
    caliking said:
    @Mattman3969 - I keep coming back to your cook with the chix and the pears. 

@caliking I would call them sweet n savory.  Pretty simple cook.  I just sear the chops or chicken in a pan with EVOO and remove when happy with the color then sear the pears in the same pan for a couple mins each side. When I flip the pears I add about 1/4 cup of fresh OJ to deglaze and some sage strips then the chicken goes back in and spoon done sauce of the meat.  

I ain’t gonna lie I did eat a couple pears with whip cream and cinnamon for desert and they were awesome!   
    Thanks! I'll save this somewhere, so I can find it again later. Or, just ping you :)

• caliking
    Options
    DMW said:
    Steelhead trout, asparagus, and roasted mini sweet peppers.

Dude... it’s like you don’t even grill mark. Crossed/diamond/hashed or nuttin!!

It looks delicious. 

• nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    @Buckwoody Egger damn them erstahs look delicious! 
    SciAggie said:
    Pulled some frozen brisket from the freezer and reheated sous vide. Made some baked zucchini from the garden and whipped together some tater salad. Not bad for an easy meal. 

Leftovers in their most elegant form. You could have easily claimed freshly-smoked! 😉
  • SciAggie
    SciAggie Posts: 6,481
    Options
    SciAggie said:
    Pulled some frozen brisket from the freezer and reheated sous vide. Made some baked zucchini from the garden and whipped together some tater salad. Not bad for an easy meal. 

Leftovers in their most elegant form. You could have easily claimed freshly-smoked! 😉
    Thanks! I cut a brisket into about 3 large pieces and vacuum seal, then freeze. It reheats really well. I decided when I can find prime briskets on sale I just get several and cook them all, then freeze. 
    Coleman, Texas
    Large BGE & Mini Max for the wok. A few old camp Dutch ovens and a wood fired oven. LSG 24” cabinet offset smoker. There are a few paella pans and a Patagonia cross in the barn. A curing chamber for bacterial transformation of meats...
    "Bourbon slushies. Sure you can cook on the BGE without them, but why would you?"
                                                                                                                          YukonRon
  • caliking
    edited June 2021
    Options

That's a beautiful looking meal.

I, too, need a sippy cup, around this time of the week. To keep myself from drowning,  while I drank the bourbons. 

(That's just the envy talking).

• lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,383
    Options
    @Buckwoody Egger And here I thought I was providing some insights!  Dang those look great.  Way to bring it home.
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • 4TheGrillOfIt
    Options
    CPFC1905 said:
    Last night’s quick and dirty. Spicy wings and burgers. Sometimes simplicity is the best. 

Those burgers look great.  I bought the cast iron griddle a while back, and you’ve motivated me to use it.
    XL BGE, Large BGE, Small BGE, Weber Summit NG                                                                                               
    Memphis  
  • caliking
    Options
    lousubcap said:

Cap - that’s almost too much awesome for one post. I’ll have to come back to that first brisket item a few times. 

• caliking
    Options
    @CPFC1905 - that's quite the spread. Looks delicious.

What's the marinade/rub on the pork and chix?

• Leopoldstoch
    Leopoldstoch Posts: 1,182
    Options

Dry brining a rather large prime tomahawk steak to cook tomorrow or Monday.

Brandon - Ohio

• Wolfpack
    Wolfpack Posts: 3,551
    Options
    Some amazing Dr. Chef’s here- keep it up folks, I’m inspired. 
    Greensboro, NC
  • caliking
    Options
    Shrimp Tacos with Strawberry Mango Salsa 

Dude... Fvck!

That looks and sounds incredible... Even on a square plate. 

• lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,383
    Options
    How did the square plate get an audition??  That cook merits its own diamond showcase.  
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,487
    Options
    dmchicago said:

Beautiful stuffed squid, but what are the slim pods with the scallops?  The green ones look like grilled peppers, but the white ones have me flummoxed.  ?

"Pro-Life" would be twenty students graduating from Sandy Hook next month