Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Howdy- just checking in

It's been a while so thought I would just check in and say Howdy. Life is moving fast these days so I don't as have much f*ck around time on the interwebz as I used to. We got vaxxed a while ago and have be re-engaging with life outside the home as much as possible. I see I owe some people a queso recipe from a few months back lol. I'll get on that and post it. Hope you degenerates are all doing well. I'll try to check in a little more often. We are selling our house and moving to the country (or at least Wine Country) so hopefully things will settle down a little once we get moved in July. Plenty of room for a get-together at the new place so stay tuned for that this fall (Covid permitting, of course).

Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX

Comments

• Ozzie_Isaac
    Ozzie_Isaac Posts: 18,942
    Glad all is well!
    A bison’s level of aggressiveness, both physical and passive, is legendary. - NPS
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,167
    I have refrained from inquiring as I figured you were working on skill sets 🐎 to survive in wine country and otherwise busy.  Great that you have surfaced.
    Be careful about what you are inferring this Fall as I will be in need of the CT brisket fix by then.  Forewarned is forearmed.   B)
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • dmchicago
    dmchicago Posts: 4,516
    Good for you. Which wine country? Taking advantage of ATX's insane housing prices???
    Philly - Kansas City - Houston - Cincinnati - Dallas - Houston - Memphis - Austin - Chicago - Austin

Large BGE. OONI 16, TOTO Washlet S550e (Now with enhanced Motherly Hugs!)

"If I wanted my balls washed, I'd go to the golf course!"
    Dennis - Austin,TX
  • SciAggie
    SciAggie Posts: 6,481
    ‘Bout time you checked in. 
    Coleman, Texas
    Large BGE & Mini Max for the wok. A few old camp Dutch ovens and a wood fired oven. LSG 24” cabinet offset smoker. There are a few paella pans and a Patagonia cross in the barn. A curing chamber for bacterial transformation of meats...
    "Bourbon slushies. Sure you can cook on the BGE without them, but why would you?"
                                                                                                                          YukonRon
  • Foghorn
    Foghorn Posts: 9,794
    Good to hear from you.  I was wondering.  We'll be in wine country this Saturday.  

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• JohnInCarolina
    JohnInCarolina Posts: 30,865
    Good luck with the home sale and move, CT!
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • dmchicago said:
    Good for you. Which wine country? Taking advantage of ATX's insane housing prices???

I am indeed. We bought some land out in Fredericksburg out by all the wineries.
  • Foghorn said:
    Good to hear from you.  I was wondering.  We'll be in wine country this Saturday.  

we will be there the next Saturday then we close on the new place that Monday.
  • SciAggie said:
    ‘Bout time you checked in. 

It has been too long! We are coming out of the covid malaise like a banshee!

• nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Buddy of mine sold his house in Dripping Springs.  The guy who bought it, Jackie Sherrill,  got spotted on my friend's surveillance camera taking a leak on the property when he was looking at it.  Keeping it weird.
    About damn time! We were just getting ready to send the search parties out.

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • Battleborn
    Battleborn Posts: 3,338
    Can’t beat the peaches from Fredricksburg. You looking to get into the fruit wine business?

Las Vegas, NV

• Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,427
    Buddy of mine sold his house in Dripping Springs.  The guy who bought it, Jackie Sherrill,  got spotted on my friend's surveillance camera taking a leak on the property when he was looking at it.  Keeping it weird.
    Didn't realize the Realty folks recognized this form of property claiming, but whatever works.  

"I mean, I don't just kill guys, I'm notorious for doing in houseplants."  - Maggie, Northern Exposure

• nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Botch said:
    Didn't realize the Realty folks recognized this form of property claiming, but whatever works.  
    Ultimately, money exchanged hands.  The pee staked no legal claim.
    Good to (virtually) see you again, will you be rejoining the Zoom calls?
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------
    | Cooking and blogging with a Large and Minimax in deepest, darkest England-shire
    | My food blog ... BGE and other stuff ... http://www.thecooksdigest.co.uk

• lkapigian
    lkapigian Posts: 10,708
    Glad you are doing well, nice to see you posting 
    Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,602
    My God, look at that picture!  He’s leaking hair dye, how good could he be doing?
  • JohnInCarolina
    The Rudy pic is a nice touch.
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    The Cen-Tex Smoker Posts: 22,951
    edited May 2021
    Can’t beat the peaches from Fredricksburg. You looking to get into the fruit wine business?

We are not but we are looking to lease the front 10 acres to a winery for a vineyard. There is an existing deer hunting operation there now which I'm not sure we are going to keep going. We will see how it does this fall and then make a call. The guy spent a ton of money on genetics and infrastructure on the land (it's all high-fenced and there are several rotating crops he puts in every year for the deer) so it is something we are going to consider. We are building out 6 airbnb properties on it too so we will have to figure out a way to balance those 2 things when the time come. Not sure people on a romantic getaway weekend in wine country want to be awoken by cannon fire at 6:30 am and watch a guy in camo drag a bloody 10-pointer out of the woods while they have coffee on the deck
  • The Rudy pic is a nice touch.

It's been my avatar since the day the photo was released. I was going to change it when I logged back in but dammit if he does not keep making himself relevant.
  • northGAcock
    northGAcock Posts: 15,164

Not sure people on a romantic getaway weekend in wine country want to be awoken by cannon fire at 6:30 amand watch a guy in camo drag a bloody 10-pointer out of the woods while they have coffee on the deck
    That's just entertainment.
    Ellijay GA with a Medium & MiniMax

Well, I married me a wife, she's been trouble all my life,
    Run me out in the cold rain and snow
  • Good to (virtually) see you again, will you be rejoining the Zoom calls?

I will for sure. My real job work schedule has exploded in the past 2 months and I've worked harder and longer hours than I ever have. Certainly not complaining about that but it takes a deft touch with the misses to grind gears at work all week then tell her you are going to spend Friday night on a zoom call with internet degenerates lol. Throw selling a house, buying property, building 6 airbnb's, and moving all in the mix all at the same time, it's been a little hectic to say the least
  • alaskanassasin
    alaskanassasin Posts: 7,597
    congratulations on your new adventure!  Hoping you have water and internet where you are going.
    South of Columbus, Ohio.

• Battleborn
    Battleborn Posts: 3,338

We are not but we are looking to lease the front 10 acres to a winery for a vineyard. There is an existing deer hunting operation there now which I'm not sure we are going to keep going. We will see how it does this fall and then make a call. The guy spent a ton of money on genetics and infrastructure on the land (it's all high-fenced and there are several rotating crops he puts in every year for the deer) so it is something we are going to consider. We are building out 6 airbnb properties on it too so we will have to figure out a way to balance those 2 things when the time come. Not sure people on a romantic getaway weekend in wine country want to be awoken by cannon fire at 6:30 am and watch a guy in camo drag a bloody 10-pointer out of the woods while they have coffee on the deck
    Nice. When we lived in Texas, we would often go to the Hill Country on our vacations. If we had stayed in Texas, that would have been where we moved. Stayed in Fredricksburg a few times. I’m sure what you are building out will be nicer than where we stayed, by a significant margin. Good luck!
    Las Vegas, NV

• JohnInCarolina
    congratulations on your new adventure!  Hoping you have water and internet where you are going.
    We know for sure he’ll have MEAT!
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    edited May 2021

Ha ha- we have plenty of both. Indoor plumbing too! We are pretty close to civilization so we have all the perks of living in town but just on a little more land. We are like 10 minutes from a very nice HEB and less to Main St in Fredericksburg (Tourist town with nice bars, restaurants and shops),

And we will have plenty of meat. Some of it still on-the-hoof.
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    edited May 2021

Nice. When we lived in Texas, we would often go to the Hill Country on our vacations. If we had stayed in Texas, that would have been where we moved. Stayed in Fredricksburg a few times. I’m sure what you are building out will be nicer than where we stayed, by a significant margin. Good luck!

We spend a lot of time out there now and just kind of inched closer and closer to it over the last few years. We have been building the airbnb plan for 4 years. It was meant for Austin but we could never catch up to the real estate and ever expanding regulations to make it work. One weekend we were out there drinking wine and I said "why don't we just do it out here"? It all kind of took off from there. We use a market data service to research areas. We bought the Fredericksburg data and all the sudden all my red boxes on my spreadsheet turned green. That's when we knew it would work. Couple that with the insane rise in home values in my neighborhood, it all came together pretty quickly (after 4 years of work lol).
  • Stormbringer
    Stormbringer Posts: 2,007
    Good to (virtually) see you again, will you be rejoining the Zoom calls?

... it takes a deft touch with the misses to grind gears at work all week then tell her you are going to spend Friday night on a zoom call with internet degenerates Nola lol

Fixed that for you. :D
    | Cooking and blogging with a Large and Minimax in deepest, darkest England-shire
    | My food blog ... BGE and other stuff ... http://www.thecooksdigest.co.uk

• Good to (virtually) see you again, will you be rejoining the Zoom calls?

... it takes a deft touch with the misses to grind gears at work all week then tell her you are going to spend Friday night on a zoom call with internet degenerates Nola lol

Fixed that for you. :D

yes, but there are others. So many others.
  • SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    Glad to hear that you are doing well brother Tex. I wish you good luck on your endeavor. 
    On a separate note, I had to google “Airbnb”. I have never heard of that. I guess I need to get out more often 🤣

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out.