Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

OT - What are you doing right now?

Options

Comments

• northGAcock
    northGAcock Posts: 15,164
    Options
    SonVolt said:
    FYI - Biden's new ARPA act just increased Dependent Care contribution limits from $5,000 to $10,500 for 2021. This is quite an opportunity for tax savings if you have kids in preschool or daycare.
    How about if you have kids with kids in day care?
    Ellijay GA with a Medium & MiniMax

Well, I married me a wife, she's been trouble all my life,
    Run me out in the cold rain and snow
  • Gulfcoastguy
    Gulfcoastguy Posts: 6,296
    Options
    And driving Miss Daisy cloths shopping. 
  • kl8ton
    kl8ton Posts: 5,429
    Options
    SonVolt said:
    FYI - Biden's new ARPA act just increased Dependent Care contribution limits from $5,000 to $10,500 for 2021. This is quite an opportunity for tax savings if you have kids in preschool or daycare.

And we're going to get an allowance too!  Unbelievable. Handing out money to families that don't want/ need it. 

https://fox8.com/news/child-tax-credit-millions-of-american-parents-will-soon-get-a-monthly-allowance/
    Large, Medium, MiniMax, & 22, and 36" Blackstone
    Grand Rapids MI
  • JohnInCarolina
    JohnInCarolina Posts: 30,950
    Options
    kl8ton said:
    SonVolt said:

And we're going to get an allowance too!  Unbelievable. Handing out money to families that don't want/ need it. 

https://fox8.com/news/child-tax-credit-millions-of-american-parents-will-soon-get-a-monthly-allowance/
    From the article you linked:

That does sound pretty terrible.  I guess poor families don’t need/want help making sure their children... don’t grow up poor?
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • kl8ton
    Options
    kl8ton said:
    SonVolt said:

That does sound pretty terrible.  I guess poor families don’t need/want help making sure their children... don’t grow up poor?
    I'm going to generalize and stereotype here but most of that money will not go to the kids.  Once you turn this support on,  how do you turn it off?   More families relying on government assistance to maintain new quality of life.  

I'm having trouble filling positions here for every level stuff as many are collecting $700 a week unemployment claiming covid related issues as they are "laid off" from their $300 per week part time job.  

Maybe i can pick up some of the Texas border crossers to work for me. 
    Grand Rapids MI
  • JohnInCarolina
    Options
    kl8ton said:
    kl8ton said:
    SonVolt said:

I'm going to generalize and stereotype here but most of that money will not go to the kids.  Once you turn this support on,  how do you turn it off?   More families relying on government assistance to maintain new quality of life.
    In fact municipalities that have implemented support measures like UBI have found just the opposite.  You see, people actually want to work, but sometimes being poor can be awfully expensive.

Anyway, I’m not sure I’ll ever really get all that upset about initiatives that are primarily aimed at helping the poor, especially where expert assessment indicates it’ll be effective.  I dunno maybe we wait to see how it goes?
  • kl8ton
    Options
    kl8ton said:
    kl8ton said:
    SonVolt said:

In fact municipalities that have implemented support measures like UBI have found just the opposite.  You see, people actually want to work, but sometimes being poor can be awfully expensive.

Anyway, I’m not sure I’ll ever really get all that upset about initiatives that are primarily aimed at helping the poor, especially where expert assessment indicates it’ll be effective.  I dunno maybe we wait to see how it goes?
    We'll see how it goes. If I'm reading it right, the feds will be automatically depositing $1800 per month in my account.  It feels wrong.
    Grand Rapids MI
  • JohnInCarolina
    Options
    kl8ton said:
    kl8ton said:
    kl8ton said:
    SonVolt said:

We'll see how it goes. If I'm reading it right, the feds will be automatically depositing $1800 per month in my account.  It feels wrong.
    It might not if your family was living below the poverty line, I don’t know.  But I get that you’re not a handout guy, and would never ask for something for nothing.
  • Eggdicted_Dawgfan
    Eggdicted_Dawgfan Posts: 1,896
    edited April 2021
    Options
    Is there a reason there are no qualifications for the money? Why are people who don’t need it receiving it?
    Snellville, GA

• JohnInCarolina
    Options
    Is there a reason there are no qualifications for the money? Why are people who don’t need it receiving it?
    The additions to the child tax credit start to phase out at incomes that are above $75k for single filers, etc.  
  • SonVolt
    SonVolt Posts: 3,314
    edited April 2021
    Options
    There is qualifications, but they are curiously relaxed. From what I'm reading, it starts to phase out if you're married and filing jointly with an Adjusted Gross Income (AGI) >= $400,000 per year. 
    South of Nashville  -  BGE XL  -  Alfresco 42" ALXE  -  Alfresco Versa Burner  - Sunbeam Microwave 
  • dbCooper
    dbCooper Posts: 2,081
    Options
    LBGE, LBGE-PTR, 22" Weber, Coleman 413G
    Great Plains, USA
  • JohnInCarolina
    Options
    SonVolt said:
    There is qualifications, but they are curiously relaxed. From what I'm reading, it starts to phase out if you're married and filing jointly with an Adjusted Gross Income (AGI) >= $400,000 per year. 
    I don’t think that’s the case for the expanded credit, just the basic one.  See here:

https://www.msn.com/en-us/money/taxes/child-tax-credit-2021-house-passes-biden-plan-what-you-should-know/ar-BB1bddvt

• lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,347
    Options
    Well- we can just print more money until the financial institutions adjust.  Parents of many here were impacted by the double digit inflation and associated interest charges and yes earnings (although a challenge to find) of the very late 70's, early '80s.  Should you be fortunate enough to have that conversation it may be worth the effort.  FWIW-

In the end game- free money is not free but when the goal posts keep moving it intentionally becomes someone else's issue to deal with.
    The always political environment- "not on my watch."   FWIW-
    Stay healthy and safe out there-

Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • JohnInCarolina
    Options
    lousubcap said:
    Well- we can just print more money until the financial institutions adjust.  Parents of many here were impacted by the double digit inflation and associated interest charges and yes earnings (although a challenge to find) of the very late 70's, early '80s.  Should you be fortunate enough to have that conversation it may be worth the effort.  FWIW-

In the end game- free money is not free but when the goal posts keep moving it intentionally becomes someone else's issue to deal with.

One man’s tax break is another’s free money.  The scales tend to be unbalanced in the US, unfortunately.
  • Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,471
    Options
    Guys, you're going to sink this thread, again.   :s

Remember when teachers used to say 'You won't have a calculator everywhere you go'?  Well, we showed them.

• JohnInCarolina
    Options
    Botch said:
    Guys, you're going to sink this thread, again.   :s
    Nah.  
  • SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    Options
    I don’t know the details but there are definitely qualifications. How do I know that? Because they send me a big fat whopping nothing. 

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• HeavyG
    HeavyG Posts: 10,348
    Options
    lousubcap said:

One man’s tax break is another’s free money.  The scales tend to be unbalanced in the US, unfortunately.

The area of housing is the classic example - federal assistance for housing given to low income parties (e.g. Section 8 vouchers) is usually referred to by many folks as "welfare". Such "welfare" costs the US Treasury XX billion per year.
    Meanwhile, homeowners are able to deduct mortgage interest from their federal taxes from not just one home but two (and a boat or rv can be considered a "home" in certain circumstances). Those deductions cost the US Treasury XXX billion per year. Of course those homeowners that take advantage of those deductions never consider their federal housing assistance to be "welfare".
    “Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• JohnInCarolina
    Options
    Threads don’t get sunk unless someone is doing something above and beyond that brings the attention of the Tatonkin.  Even then, one would assume some leeway with this thread given its history.

I dunno.  At the end of the day, if we’re really that attached to threads here maybe we should all consider getting a hobby.  Like... smoking meat, or something.
  • Battleborn
    Battleborn Posts: 3,356
    Options
    Threads don’t get sunk unless someone is doing something above and beyond that brings the attention of the Tatonkin.  Even then, one would assume some leeway with this thread given its history.

I dunno.  At the end of the day, if we’re really that attached to threads here maybe we should all consider getting a hobby.  Like... smoking meat, or something.
    Are you suggesting that we all join a BBQ centric forum? The gall of your academic elites!
    Las Vegas, NV

• nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    Kind of embarrassing living in one of the richest countries in the world with some of the highest poverty rates.  For me at least.  Probably many don't give a f*ck as long as they aren't one of the unlucky few.

https://www.statista.com/statistics/233910/poverty-rates-in-oecd-countries/#:~:text=Out of all OECD countries,17.9 percent as of 2018.
    Options
    kl8ton said:
    SonVolt said:

We have lots of benefits here that are means tested, which adds a whole lot of admin to the system. Sometimes it's cheaper to make the benefit universal and funded from taxes, then the high earners will be paying for it with their taxes anyway.
  • kl8ton
    Options
    Is it just me or is the Eggtoberfest thread gone?

Grand Rapids MI
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,754
    Options

yep

now hide for two weeks. yesterday,  had my crew get id cards at one of the hospitals for facility management, all but one opted out of this mornings shot. theres always one
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,754
    Options
    kl8ton said:

still there on the pc
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • JohnInCarolina
    Options
    kl8ton said:

It’s just you, unfortunately.
  • kl8ton
    Options
    kl8ton said:

It’s just you, unfortunately.
    Oh I think I know why I do not see it.  On my laptop, I noticed a little gear icon.  I choose "dismiss" but it did not immediately go away.  Now it is gone on my phone and W10 Laptop.

Grand Rapids MI