Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

OT - What are you doing right now?

Options

Comments

• shtgunal3
    shtgunal3 Posts: 5,663
    Options
    My thoughts were that the initial burn may cause some off smells or flavors.

LBGE,SBGE, and a Mini makes three......Sweet home Alabama........ Stay thirsty my friends .

• nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    Assuming you cleaned out the debris from removing the old gasket, start cooking.
    shtgunal3 said:
    Quick question.... After installing a Rutland, dome only and a few days ago, is there any need to do an initial burn off? Or just light it up and get to cooking? I have a brisket that needs some smoke, just wondering if I need to do an initial empty burn 1st.
    Don’t think so - at least I didn’t. 

The guy to answer your question is our friend @RRP.
  • shtgunal3
    Options
    I bought the Rutland from @RRP several years back and just now getting around to installing.

LBGE,SBGE, and a Mini makes three......Sweet home Alabama........ Stay thirsty my friends .

• kl8ton
    kl8ton Posts: 5,429
    Options
    shtgunal3 said:
    I bought the Rutland from @RRP several years back and just now getting around to installing. 

I would think that whatever warm up You have prior to putting in a brisket would be enough.
    Large, Medium, MiniMax, & 22, and 36" Blackstone
    Grand Rapids MI
  • nolaegghead
    Options
    If you used Permatex, there is no need to "set" the adhesive before high heat (although you will not be doing high heat anyway).  The solvent is acetic acid (vinegar) so no issue there.
    Options
    Been up for an hour and a half and am waiting for the sun to come up so I can get going outside. I have a lot to do   I am as ready as I can be to get going, but one can not speed up the rising of the sun.  At least I do not know of a way..... 
    --------------------------------------------------
    Burning lump in Downingtown, PA or diesel in Cape May, NJ.
    ....just look for the smoke!
    Large and MiniMax

Caliking said:   Meat in bung is my favorite. 
  • GrateEggspectations
    Options
    Sea2Ski said:
    Been up for an hour and a half and am waiting for the sun to come up so I can get going outside. I have a lot to do   I am as ready as I can be to get going, but one can not speed up the rising of the sun.  At least I do not know of a way..... 
    I’m actually in the exact same boat. Have been up since about 3. Am waiting for the sun to come up and household/neighbours to wake up such that I can get going on a dishwasher swap, oil changes for the cars and summer tire swaps, as well as run a few errands. 
  • ColbyLang
    ColbyLang Posts: 3,436
    Options
    Up at 3 here too. Working. Yay
  • Canugghead
    Canugghead Posts: 11,537
    Options
    @GrateEggspectations sounds like a fun Sunday. Over the years with diminishing usage I’ve stretched our oil change frequency from 3 to 4, 6,9 months, I use full synthetic. Our car insurance winter tire discount dictates they must be on Nov to Apr. You just reminded me my VP215 is due for oil change.
    canuckland
  • PigBeanUs
    PigBeanUs Posts: 932
    edited March 2021
    Options
    Trying to determine if I am at the point in the calendar where taking out the window air conditioners still makes sense

or leave them in for two more months?

wife is taking down the christmas decorations. Kinda feel like I should do something. 
  • WeberWho
    WeberWho Posts: 11,030
    Options
    I was up from 1:45am up until 4:30am this morning. I fought a nap yesterday but didn't win. Hence the the crappy sleep. I learned that Harbor Freight doesn't offer 20% coupons anymore and how to spot original factory Chevelles besides numbers matching. The more you know....in the AM.
    "The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota
  • WeberWho
    Options
    @GrateEggspectations sounds like a fun Sunday. Over the years with diminishing usage I’ve stretched our oil change frequency from 3 to 4, 6,9 months, I use full synthetic. Our car insurance winter tire discount dictates they must be on Nov to Apr. You just reminded me my VP215 is due for oil change.
    Is it true that your vehicles insurance is dictated by the government? (No private car insurance) Is that all of Canada or certain providences? @Canugghead
    "The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota
  • Canugghead
    Canugghead Posts: 11,537
    Options
    WeberWho said:
    Is it true that your vehicles insurance is dictated by the government? (No private car insurance) Is that all of Canada or certain providences? @Canugghead
    Yes certain provinces have government auto insurance, not Ontario. BC used to be government run, not sure if it's still so.
    canuckland
  • WeberWho
    Options
    WeberWho said:
    Yes certain provinces have government auto insurance, not Ontario. BC used to be government run, not sure if it's still so.
    Thanks for clarification. I was watching a YouTube channel and the guy bought a hyper car in Canada but sold shortly later saying the government insurance was way too much for how little the car would be driven. I wasn't sure how that worked.

Minnesota
  • MJG
    MJG Posts: 598
    Options
    Browsing the web & YouTube for new golf irons. Still playing Ping Eye 2’s that I got about 1990. Will create a short list, demo some, and get fitted. 
    Large Big Green Egg in a nest. North Shore of Boston.
  • GATraveller
    GATraveller Posts: 8,207
    Options

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community [...] but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots."

-Umberto Eco

2 Large
    Peachtree Corners, GA
  • EzraBrooks
    EzraBrooks Posts: 381
    Options
    Just gave myself what I hope is my last COVID cut.
  • Sea2Ski
    Sea2Ski Posts: 4,088
    Options
    Sea2Ski said:
    I’m actually in the exact same boat. Have been up since about 3. Am waiting for the sun to come up and household/neighbours to wake up such that I can get going on a dishwasher swap, oil changes for the cars and summer tire swaps, as well as run a few errands. 
    Done.  I ate and then went outside to pick up branches as soon as it was light enough to see.  We have a great township perk - you call them and they come chip for $20/15 mins and $1 min after that. They will take up to 8” rounds.  Having a wooded property, we take advantage of it a lot.  Last year we had large 2 trees come down and they chipped what I did not want for firewood which is 6” round for me. Chipping was $32.  All that brush for $32.
    As I was picking up branches at 7:30 the neighbor fired up the chainsaw. That was my green light.  I lit the egg, ran for some chicken food when the store opened, got the stream running, then sawed some oak logs, split a pickup truck of oak for dads b-day present, and raked the front and back yards.  
    Done. 

Now sitting on the deck with shorts and a T-shirt for the first time since late sept or early October and I think it is still hot. According to weather.com it is 61F. I think I should move further north.
    Burning lump in Downingtown, PA or diesel in Cape May, NJ.
    ....just look for the smoke!
    Large and MiniMax

Caliking said:   Meat in bung is my favorite. 
  • StillH2OEgger
    StillH2OEgger Posts: 3,748
    Options
    MJG said:
    Browsing the web & YouTube for new golf irons. Still playing Ping Eye 2’s that I got about 1990. Will create a short list, demo some, and get fitted. 
    I'm also still hitting Ping Eye 2s. I've tried some other irons over the years, but never found anything I liked better.
    Stillwater, MN
  • shtgunal3
    Options
    Smoking a brisket and this little guy showed up.

• nolaegghead
    Options
    Working on making some stretched canvasses.  Recycled plywood pulled from the trash.  I don't know what I'm doing but everything seems to be working out so far.
    Options
    Did some yard work this morning, got my annual spring reminder that there are few things on earth I hate more than pachysandra.  Now sipping a dark & stormy and tending two fires.

LBGE

Pikesville, MD

• JohnInCarolina
    JohnInCarolina Posts: 30,981
    Options
    Ever watch that movie?  I think it's on Netflix.  I've thought about it but have never pulled the trigger because it seemed like it was maybe kind of goofy for my tastes.  
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • nolaegghead
    Options
    Ever watch that movie?  I think it's on Netflix.  I've thought about it but have never pulled the trigger because it seemed like it was maybe kind of goofy for my tastes.  

I've seen the original and remake.  Not bad although it gave me some flashbacks from my misguided youth.
    Options
    MJG said:
    I'm also still hitting Ping Eye 2s. I've tried some other irons over the years, but never found anything I liked better.
    Ping Eye 2’s here as well. White dots. Fitted. 

I’ve hit a few different iron sets, but none as decent (I won’t call it consistently good) as the Pings. In the market for new set of woods, gonna go demo on a rainy day at one of the golf shops in town. We have Dicks, Edwin Watts and Golfballs.com here.

• shtgunal3
    Options

Wishing I had a lathe so I could turn this into an egg handle. 

• nolaegghead
    Options
    shtgunal3 said:

Wishing I had a lathe so I could turn this into an egg handle. 
    All you need is a saw.