Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Tesla - Any owners?

Ozzie_Isaac
Ozzie_Isaac Posts: 18,942
My better half is test driving a Tesla today.  She isn't sold on them, but is toying with the idea.

Anyone here have one, or experience with one?  She drives around 20k miles a year and pretty much lives in her cars.
A bison’s level of aggressiveness, both physical and passive, is legendary. - NPS

Comments

• Gulfcoastguy
    Gulfcoastguy Posts: 6,286
    No but I will have a Volkswagen ID4 within a month. 
    Is she getting the Model 3 or the Model Y and what package?
  • SonVolt
    SonVolt Posts: 3,314
    edited March 2021
    Coworker just got one. It's hands down the fastest acceleration I've ever experienced in a car. It's a very odd sensation relative to what you're used to. He traded in his Mustang Shelby. 
    South of Nashville  -  BGE XL  -  Alfresco 42" ALXE  -  Alfresco Versa Burner  - Sunbeam Microwave 
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    edited March 2021
    She is looking at the Model S Long Range or the Model X.

Today's test drive will be in a Model 3 and a Model Y.  No S or X available for a few weeks.

SonVolt said:
    Coworker J
    ust got one. It's hands down the fastest acceleration I've ever experienced in a car. It's a very odd sensation relative to what you're used to. He traded in his Mustang Shelby. 
    I am very interested to experience it for myself.  I am a bit concerned as my wife loves fast cars and drives like a bat out of hell in regular cars.  The thought of her in a Model S Plaid+ makes me want to up my lawyer retainer.
    A bison’s level of aggressiveness, both physical and passive, is legendary. - NPS
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,162
    That acceleration is all the electric drive train.  No surprise.  
    I believe @JohnInCarolina knows someone with one and may have something to offer.  
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    @Gulfcoastguy that ID4 looks pretty sweet! I might have to do some more research.  The field might be getting crowded.  These newer ones have Fed Tax assistance too, Tesla used up their entire allotment a few years ago.
  • Eoin
    Eoin Posts: 4,304
    I drive an i3s as a daily and test drove a Model S. It was OK, but for an 80k car the build quality isn't German. The benefit is the charging netwotk (here in the UK) which would be the reason to buy one. I'm fussy about cars, so that's not enough reason for me to buy one.
  • Tbent
    Tbent Posts: 225
    We bought a Model 3 Long Range toward the end of 2018. 40k miles and couldn't be happier with it. Can't see buying anything but electric going forward. Just too many advantages. Very few disadvantages that matter day to day for us. Happy to answer any questions I can. 
    L, S, MM, Mini
    Washington, IL
  • stlcharcoal
    stlcharcoal Posts: 4,684
    edited March 2021
    Love em......rented them on Turo many times on trips.  I would buy one in a heartbeat if I didn't have so many kids, stuff to haul in the back, and trailers to tow.  Gonna be another 10 yrs before I ever have anything but a Expedition MAX or Yukon XL as a daily driver. 
  • JohnInCarolina
    JohnInCarolina Posts: 30,864
    I know more than a few owners (S and Y) and have both driven the cars and rode along.  They are remarkable vehicles.  Electric vehicles are the way of the future - they're just better products.  Tesla is I think much further along on some of the key tech, such as the autopilot, but check me on that.  

A word of warning on the model Y's: early quality control has been a bit suspect initially.  Lots of reports on this out there.  I think it's mostly cosmetic stuff but some people really care about that.   For example, my friend who got one said there were clearly some fingerprints from a worker on the visor inside when the car first arrived at his doorstep - nothing he couldn't clean himself but it made him laugh.  I think he said there were a couple of other little minor things he noticed.  
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • JohnInCarolina
    By the way, in case you haven't noticed, the Tesla model numbers spell:

S3XY
  • Gulfcoastguy

Today's test drive will be in a Model 3 and a Model Y.  No S or X available for a few weeks.

SonVolt said:
    Coworker Just got one. It's hands down the fastest acceleration I've ever experienced in a car. It's a very odd sensation relative to what you're used to. He traded in his Mustang Shelby. 
    I am very interested to experience it for myself.  I am a bit concerned as my wife loves fast cars and drives like a bat out of hell in regular cars.  The thought of her in a Model S Plaid+ makes me want to up my lawyer retainer.
    You can spot me on the comments on insideevs.com and greencarreports.com a lot. The general consensus is that the S is good and the X is buggy. Either way you are going to be out an arm, a leg, and a kidney. 
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    edited March 2021
    By the way, in case you haven't noticed, the Tesla model numbers spell:

S3XY
    Lol, that Ian Monk fella really has a sense of humour.

Love em......rented them on Turo many times on trips.  I would buy one in a heartbeat if I didn't have so many kids, stuff to haul in the back, and trailers to tow.  Gonna be another 10 yrs before I ever have anything but a Expedition MAX or Yukon XL as a daily driver. 
    This is a hang up for me, luckily we have a number of vehicles better suited to towing and hauling.  This is mostly for her.  However, she did sell her BMW 428i after she realized a saddle would not fit in it (among other annoying issues with that car).

@Tbent said:
    We bought a Model 3 Long Range toward the end of 2018. 40k miles and couldn't be happier with it. Can't see buying anything but electric going forward. Just too many advantages. Very few disadvantages that matter day to day for us. Happy to answer any questions I can. 
    Glad to read the last 40k miles have been good!  In real life, how many miles on a charge and how long to recharge?
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    edited March 2021

SonVolt said:
    Coworker Just got one. It's hands down the fastest acceleration I've ever experienced in a car. It's a very odd sensation relative to what you're used to. He traded in his Mustang Shelby. 
    You can spot me on the comments on insideevs.com and greencarreports.com a lot. The general consensus is that the S is good and the X is buggy. Either way you are going to be out an arm, a leg, and a kidney. 
    She was looking at Range Rovers, so Tesla seems almost reasonable.  Plus, it is her arm and leg.  I have my vehicles already 😉. I am just the plucky sidekick in this deal.  (I secretly hope she gets the Jeep Grand Cherokee that she liked)
  • Gulfcoastguy
    The Rovers are shop Queens. The Model S design was just refreshed and I like the screens better than the 3 and Y. If she can deal with just one screen the Y has a lot of cargo room and the build quality is improving. The Y looks like a catfish from the front though.
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    edited March 2021
    The Rovers are shop Queens. The Model S design was just refreshed and I like the screens better than the 3 and Y. If she can deal with just one screen the Y has a lot of cargo room and the build quality is improving. The Y looks like a catfish from the front though.
    She hates the way the Y looks and is worried about the size of the 3.

I finally think she has given up on the Rover.  Uptime is another big factor for her and the Rover doesn't have that.  She hates even dealing with oil changes.  She doesn't like driving my cars because they are never clean enough.
  • Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,602

She doesn't like driving my cars because they are never clean enough.
    I too use this strategy.
  • Tbent
    @Tbent said:
    Glad to read the last 40k miles have been good!  In real life, how many miles on a charge and how long to recharge?
    Our daily driving eats up around 15% to 20% of the range depending on the weather. We're usually driving around 40 to 60 miles a day.

Typical day:
    Start out charged to 80%.
    Drive 20 miles from Washington to Mossville, down to maybe 72%.
    Drive back home after work, down to around 65%.
    Take the kids to practice, hit the liquor store, etc., down to maybe 60%.
    Plug the car in when back in the garage for the night. Back up to 80% in the morning and ready for the day. 

During the winter I may charge up to 90%. Before long trips I'll usually charge to 95% or 100%

Wife works in Champaign. She can do the 185 mile roundtrip without a charge stop and make it home with around 15%. On a cold rainy day she may stop at the supercharger in Champaign for 5 minutes just to get home with a little more charge. 

Play around with abetterrouteplanner.com to get an idea for longer trips. It's usually pretty close. 
    L, S, MM, Mini
    Washington, IL
  • Eoin
    Eoin Posts: 4,304
    Tbent said:
    @Tbent said:
    Our daily driving eats up around 15% to 20% of the range depending on the weather. We're usually driving around 40 to 60 miles a day.

Typical day:
    Start out charged to 80%.
    Drive 20 miles from Washington to Mossville, down to maybe 72%.
    Drive back home after work, down to around 65%.
    Take the kids to practice, hit the liquor store, etc., down to maybe 60%.
    Plug the car in when back in the garage for the night. Back up to 80% in the morning and ready for the day. 

During the winter I may charge up to 90%. Before long trips I'll usually charge to 95% or 100%

Wife works in Champaign. She can do the 185 mile roundtrip without a charge stop and make it home with around 15%. On a cold rainy day she may stop at the supercharger in Champaign for 5 minutes just to get home with a little more charge. 

Play around with abetterrouteplanner.com to get an idea for longer trips. It's usually pretty close. 
    Abetterrouteplanner is good for long trips, factors in the nasties well (temperature, wind and rain).
  • Tbent

Forgot to mention the booze holder. Tesla engineers really thought of everything. 
    L, S, MM, Mini
    Washington, IL
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    edited March 2021
    One other reason my wife is looking at Teslas is she currently spends ~600 a month in fuel, if gas continues to rise, just the savings in gas would cover a good portion of the car cost.  Her fuel costs have gone up 35% since January, same mileage.
  • JohnInCarolina
    One other reason my wife is looking at Teslas is she currently spends ~600 a month in fuel, if gas continues to rise, just the savings in gas would cover a good portion of the car cost.  Her fuel costs have gone up 35% since January, same mileage.
    They tend to be net wins, but don't forget the increased electricity bills.  
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    edited March 2021
    They tend to be net wins, but don't forget the increased electricity bills.  
    Looks like the cost breaks down to the equivalent of 1.00 -1.50/gallon effective cost.  If I add solar to the house, it just gets even better.  The solar fits my personality well too, would be completely off the grid at that point.
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Friend of mine has the long range 3.  I've driven it and been driven around in it plenty of times.  He absolutely loves it.  Like Apple products, the design is almost a lifestyle.  You can download apps and make fart sounds from various occupants.  He has his record all passers-by and I've watched him let the car park itself and unpark with us standing outside it. 

Given most of the cool bell and whistle functions have nothing to do with the electric drivetrain, I have to give Tesla credit for the ingenuity with the advanced user-interface.
    One other reason my wife is looking at Teslas is she currently spends ~600 a month in fuel, if gas continues to rise, just the savings in gas would cover a good portion of the car cost. 
    It’s not a question of if they will continue to rise. Its now simply a question of how high it will rise. 

Her fuel costs have gone up 35% since January, same mileage.
    Hang on brother, it’s going higher. Enjoy the ride. 

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    make fart sounds 
    I do often 💨 

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• Ozzie_Isaac
    edited March 2021
    **** me, these things are unholy fast!  Test driving right now

• kl8ton
    kl8ton Posts: 5,410

Yes they are.  Trouble for me. I'm in the same boat as @stlcharcoal with kids and towing.  

I'll keep slugging around with my 11 passenger diesel excursion.  I will keep hoping one of the automakers comes out with something similar soon.  2005 was the end of awesomeness in the large SUV world. 
    Large, Medium, MiniMax, & 22, and 36" Blackstone
    Grand Rapids MI
  • Tbent

I get a smile on my face at every stoplight even three years later. Insanely quick. 
    L, S, MM, Mini
    Washington, IL
  • Corv
    Corv Posts: 359
    A buddy of mine bought a '13 Model S with almost 100k miles on it. It drove flawlessly and overall was in like new shape. So they hold up. Very nice car, and it drove better than the Model 3 I drove (another friend).
    Somewhere on the Colorado Front Range