Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Tesla - Any owners?

Options

Comments

• Hoster05
    Hoster05 Posts: 312
    Options
    I know very little about them but I see them around. I always wonder how they handle the local climate.  3 weeks ago it was -20 temp with wind chill around -35 below zero.  Also regardless of the drive train, salt is used to de-ice roads and that will eventually have an impact on the body.  What’s the sense of buying one if they are going to rust at the same rate as a gasoline powered vehicle.  Again, I know very little about them
    Mankato, MN - LBGE
  • Tbent
    Tbent Posts: 225
    Options
    Eoin said:
    dbCooper said:
    I have direct experience (not as an owner) with hybrid vehicles, none with full on EV's.  A point I've wondered about is passenger climate controls, heat in winter, a/c in summer.  How much does their usage impact the range between charges?
    A lot. Not just in heat. If you're not plugged in, you use power just to get the battery warmed up, then run the heating. Cold air, more density, less range. Head wind, more drag, less range. Wet roads, more drag, less range. Plug a route into abetterrouteplanner at 25C, dry, no wind and then 0C, 20 mph head wind and rain. You'll see the difference.
    The refreshed models all have a heat pump now I think. Supposed to make a big difference. Range on the older models without a heat pump really takes a dump in cold weather. You get used to it and figure it out though 
    L, S, MM, Mini
    Washington, IL
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    Ozzie_Isaac Posts: 19,107
    Options
    The steering wheel on the refreshed Model S is a deal breaker.  Almost put a deposit down, but not driving with a Night Rider steering wheel.  Cannot order any older models either.
    They don’t want a population of citizens capable of critical thinking. They don’t want well informed, well educated people capable of critical thinking. They’re not interested in that. That doesn’t help them. That's against their interests. - George Carlin
  • SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    Options
    Almost put a deposit down
    For the love of God brother Ozzie, buy a big diesel or at a minimum a high horsepower V8 gas burner. Don’t go to the dark side brother. 

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• Ozzie_Isaac
    edited March 2021
    Options
    SGH said:
    Almost put a deposit down
    For the love of God brother Ozzie, buy a big diesel or at a minimum a high horsepower V8 gas burner. Don’t go to the dark side brother. 
    Not for me, for the wife. I have a nice 6.7L Cummins Single rear wheel 3/4 ton.  I plan to upgrade to a dually mega cab in the next few years.  Depends on what the tax man says though.  I paid him enough for a really nice full loaded Platinum Edition F350 this year.
    They don’t want a population of citizens capable of critical thinking. They don’t want well informed, well educated people capable of critical thinking. They’re not interested in that. That doesn’t help them. That's against their interests. - George Carlin
  • SGH
    Options
    I paid him enough for a really nice full loaded Platinum Edition F350 this year.
    I know the feeling brother. The hit me hard too. It’s sickening what they take from hard working people. 

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• Eoin
    Eoin Posts: 4,304
    Options
    Tbent said:
    Eoin said:
    dbCooper said:
    I have direct experience (not as an owner) with hybrid vehicles, none with full on EV's.  A point I've wondered about is passenger climate controls, heat in winter, a/c in summer.  How much does their usage impact the range between charges?
    A lot. Not just in heat. If you're not plugged in, you use power just to get the battery warmed up, then run the heating. Cold air, more density, less range. Head wind, more drag, less range. Wet roads, more drag, less range. Plug a route into abetterrouteplanner at 25C, dry, no wind and then 0C, 20 mph head wind and rain. You'll see the difference.
    The refreshed models all have a heat pump now I think. Supposed to make a big difference. Range on the older models without a heat pump really takes a dump in cold weather. You get used to it and figure it out though 
    It's an option I didn't know about at the time on the i3. I would have bought it, with what I know now.
  • JohnInCarolina
    JohnInCarolina Posts: 30,977
    Options
    SGH said:
    I paid him enough for a really nice full loaded Platinum Edition F350 this year.
    I know the feeling brother. The hit me hard too. It’s sickening what they take from hard working people. 
    Did you manage to find another job, Scottie?  Or are you still out of work since the election?
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • JohnInCarolina
    Options
    The steering wheel on the refreshed Model S is a deal breaker.  Almost put a deposit down, but not driving with a Night Rider steering wheel.  Cannot order any older models either.
    That’s too bad.  I don’t think I ever shared this with you, but for some reason I’ve always thought you look a lot like the Hoff:

• Tbent
    Tbent Posts: 225
    Options
    Yeah the yoke steering wheel is stupid. Not practical and not safe. There were rumors that a standard round wheel would be an option but I don’t think that’s the case yet. I hope they don’t put the yoke in the truck. 
    L, S, MM, Mini
    Washington, IL
  • Gulfcoastguy
    Gulfcoastguy Posts: 6,304
    Options
    But what does the boss say about the wheel?
  • Eoin
    Options
    That’s too bad.  I don’t think I ever shared this with you, but for some reason I’ve always thought you look a lot like the Hoff:

It is a good look.
  • JohnInCarolina
    Options
    Eoin said:

It is a good look.
    Can’t pull it off without the horse, and Ozzie had those.  Or maybe they’re donkeys.  Whatever, I digress.
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    Options

I must say, I do not disagree with the comparison.  I regularly ride dressed like that
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    Options
    But what does the boss say about the wheel?
    She is the one who said NO WAY.  She was actually very upset with Elon.  I tried to explain that is how Tesla operates.  Throw stuff at the wall and see what sticks.  She fell in love with the last gen Tesla Model S Performamce that she drove.  When she saw renderings of the new layout she was not happy at all.
  • Eoin
    Options
    Eoin said:

It is a good look.
    Can’t pull it off without the horse, and Ozzie had those.  Or maybe they’re donkeys.  Whatever, I digress.
    Will a large dog do? I don't have a horse.
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,385
    Options
    You goin' Putin on us??  =)
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • GATraveller
    GATraveller Posts: 8,207
    Options

I must say, I do not disagree with the comparison.  I regularly ride dressed like that
    Only bitches ride with shirts. 

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community [...] but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots."

-Umberto Eco

2 Large
    Peachtree Corners, GA
  • SGH
    Options
    Did you manage to find another job, Scottie?  Or are you still out of work since the election?
    November 3rd was my last day. Haven’t found anything since. I have a couple of prospects though. Keeping my fingers crossed 🤞 

Status- Standing by.

• JohnInCarolina
    Options
    SGH said:
    November 3rd was my last day. Haven’t found anything since. I have a couple of prospects though. Keeping my fingers crossed 🤞 
    Anus inspector, perhaps?

Just kidding brother, I hope you find something soon.
  • Teefus
    Teefus Posts: 1,208
    Options
    My brother has one. It’s a model 3. I think he got it because that’s what the cool kids drive. Perhaps a bit of virtue signaling too. It’s his DD and used for trips around town. He has a couple other vehicles (gas and diesel) for long hauls and traveling. I can’t afford that approach. My commuter car is my travel car. Maybe one day. 
    Michiana, South of the border.
  • Gulfcoastguy
    Gulfcoastguy Posts: 6,304
    Options
    How about a Porsche Taycan . They beat the epa rating on the highway by a large margin. She could have bragging right in the eco community and the Speed Racers.
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    edited May 2021
    Options
    Well, after lots of searching, test driving, and contemplating, she went with a Yukon Denali, she got the 6.2L V8.  Pretty impressed overall.  Now waiting for the GM factory supercharger to be released (she doesn't know that yet).

As much as I loved the insane acceleration of the Tesla, I admit, I am tickled she went with a proper car and an old school big displacement V8.
  • SonVolt
    SonVolt Posts: 3,314
    Options
    Nice. My wife wants a Yukon Denali but I'm trying to convince her to wait on the big EV SUVs. I'm scared to make a major investment on a gasoline automobile until I see how this all plays out. 
    South of Nashville  -  BGE XL  -  Alfresco 42" ALXE  -  Alfresco Versa Burner  - Sunbeam Microwave 
  • Eoin
    Options
    SonVolt said:
    Nice. My wife wants a Yukon Denali but I'm trying to convince her to wait on the big EV SUVs. I'm scared to make a major investment on a gasoline automobile until I see how this all plays out. 
    EVs being prone to highlight inefficiency, a big SUV EV isn't the best idea. A big battery can hide the problem, until you have to find a charger fast enough to fill up all of those kWh in a reasonable length of time. We are definitely approaching a technology change, but 'what to' is a big question. Battery electric is ideally suited to small, light vehicles. Maybe big SUVs will end up hydrogen or bio diesel or ethanol, small stuff as EVs. Anyway, agreed on big, new purchases now - the wrong time to jump.
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    Eoin said:
    SonVolt said:
    EVs being prone to highlight inefficiency, a big SUV EV isn't the best idea. A big battery can hide the problem, until you have to find a charger fast enough to fill up all of those kWh in a reasonable length of time. We are definitely approaching a technology change, but 'what to' is a big question. Battery electric is ideally suited to small, light vehicles. Maybe big SUVs will end up hydrogen or bio diesel or ethanol, small stuff as EVs. Anyway, agreed on big, new purchases now - the wrong time to jump.
    Nah.  Even buses will scale.  I think this really boils down to an infrastructure issue as the charging stations are mostly made for relatively small vehicles.  The rate and scale of charge is an engineering problem with an engineering solution.  We're starting out with baby steps, but as big trucks are electrified, there will be charging stations that will handle it commensurate with the scale, eventually.

Options
    Eoin said:
    SonVolt said:
    Nah.  Even buses will scale.  I think this really boils down to an infrastructure issue as the charging stations are mostly made for relatively small vehicles.  The rate and scale of charge is an engineering problem with an engineering solution.  We're starting out with baby steps, but as big trucks are electrified, there will be charging stations that will handle it commensurate with the scale, eventually.

It's going to need a big step in battery technology. Big loads are easy with an EV, moving big loads a long distance isn't.
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    Eoin said:
    Eoin said:
    SonVolt said:

It's going to need a big step in battery technology. Big loads are easy with an EV, moving big loads a long distance isn't.
    There are a number of solutions to this that exclude bigger batteries.  For example:

"World-first in-road charging test for trucks successful, highway speeds next" https://www.greencarreports.com/news/1127520_world-first-in-road-charging-test-for-trucks-successful-highway-speeds-next
    Options
    Eoin said:
    Eoin said:
    SonVolt said:

There are a number of solutions to this that exclude bigger batteries.  For example:

"World-first in-road charging test for trucks successful, highway speeds next" https://www.greencarreports.com/news/1127520_world-first-in-road-charging-test-for-trucks-successful-highway-speeds-next
    I think a basic battery swap (dead battery out, fresh one in) is a likely path forward.  Then the only time needed is for the swap itself, not the charging.  Much like stopping for a tank of gas.
  • Eoin
    Options
    Eoin said:
    Eoin said:
    SonVolt said:

I think a basic battery swap (dead battery out, fresh one in) is a likely path forward.  Then the only time needed is for the swap itself, not the charging.  Much like stopping for a tank of gas.
    Tried by Tesla and abandoned as it wasn't viable for passenger cars. Maybe it'll resurface for big batteries in trucks on predictable routes.