Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Tesla - Any owners?

Options

Comments

• Gulfcoastguy
    Gulfcoastguy Posts: 6,303
    Options
    blind99 said:
    i didn't read the middle two pages, did she get the tesla? i know a few people with the S who say it's the best car they've ever owned. 

last time i was due for a car, i talked the audi dealer into letting me try their electric SUV.  the experience of driving an electric car is damned cool.  but the price was absurd.

the economics must be improving if all these other brands are coming out with competitively priced electrics, right?  
    They’re just better products.  Maintenance on an EV long term is a fraction of what you pay with a gas powered vehicle.
    Probably though the tire wear is higher. Generally true though.
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    blind99 said:
    i didn't read the middle two pages, did she get the tesla? i know a few people with the S who say it's the best car they've ever owned. 

last time i was due for a car, i talked the audi dealer into letting me try their electric SUV.  the experience of driving an electric car is damned cool.  but the price was absurd.

the economics must be improving if all these other brands are coming out with competitively priced electrics, right?  
    They’re just better products.  Maintenance on an EV long term is a fraction of what you pay with a gas powered vehicle.
    I did not know that.  Elaborate, pls

Options
    blind99 said:

Nope, she went completely the other direction.  She got a Yukon Denali with the 6.2L V8.  She drove most everything in town.  The Teslas were super fun, the S was very nice, but in the end the GMC won out.
    A bison’s level of aggressiveness, both physical and passive, is legendary. - NPS
  • Gulfcoastguy
    Gulfcoastguy Posts: 6,303
    Options
    blind99 said:

Heavier vehicles than the same size and style of gas burners. Plus generally higher take off torque than the general run of gas burners. Add to that narrow “eco” tires for most that result in a higher psi load on the tires. 
  • HendersonTRKing
    HendersonTRKing Posts: 1,803
    Options
    Bought a model s performance after 8 years of lusting after it. Elon was running a free supercharging for life promo, which was the push I needed to pull the trigger. 

I’ve had the car for 2 years and hands down it’s the best car I’ve ever owned. No maintenance whatsoever, updates over home Wi-Fi, it’s too fast for anyone’s good, and when we lost power late last summer for several days, we watched Netflix in it, in the garage in air conditioned comfort. Range is 311 or so, which is plenty for daily driving. Wanted to take a long trip during covid-times, but didn’t — not bc of charging, more bc we just decided to lock down in The 302. 

It’s kind of like driving a new iPhone that updates itself periodically so it’s always new. Compared to lots of vehicles I’ve had over the years, maybe it’s a bit soul-less, but every time I get in it I smile bc the tech is just so damn cool. I’d love to get the Tesla solar and close the energy loop, but I’ve got shingles (on the roof, not the body) and they’re not installing on that kind of material. Yet. 

And was glad to see that Elon held his own on SNL the other night!
    It's a 302 thing . . .
  • Eoin
    Eoin Posts: 4,304
    Options
    Bought a model s performance after 8 years of lusting after it. Elon was running a free supercharging for life promo, which was the push I needed to pull the trigger. 

I’ve had the car for 2 years and hands down it’s the best car I’ve ever owned. No maintenance whatsoever, updates over home Wi-Fi, it’s too fast for anyone’s good, and when we lost power late last summer for several days, we watched Netflix in it, in the garage in air conditioned comfort. Range is 311 or so, which is plenty for daily driving. Wanted to take a long trip during covid-times, but didn’t — not bc of charging, more bc we just decided to lock down in The 302. 

It’s kind of like driving a new iPhone that updates itself periodically so it’s always new. Compared to lots of vehicles I’ve had over the years, maybe it’s a bit soul-less, but every time I get in it I smile bc the tech is just so damn cool. I’d love to get the Tesla solar and close the energy loop, but I’ve got shingles (on the roof, not the body) and they’re not installing on that kind of material. Yet. 

Tesla integration is great, how all EVs should be. Updates when needed including charging improvements and a proper charging network. My i3 sat nav shows me petrol stations and only selected charge points with no indication of type or status. The fossil fuel car guys still don't get it.

I drove an S, but was a bit underwhelmed - no EV novelty value, so it just seemed like a big exec car with dubious panel fit. It's such a shame that Tesla is basically the only realistic option for higher mileage EV users.
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    Ozzie_Isaac Posts: 19,087
    Options
    Eoin said:

Tesla integration is great, how all EVs should be. Updates when needed including charging improvements and a proper charging network. My i3 sat nav shows me petrol stations and only selected charge points with no indication of type or status. The fossil fuel car guys still don't get it.

I drove an S, but was a bit underwhelmed - no EV novelty value, so it just seemed like a big exec car with dubious panel fit. It's such a shame that Tesla is basically the only realistic option for higher mileage EV users.
    Another issue, and maybe charm, is the quirkiness.  What sealed the deal on the GMC was the steering wheel on the updated Model S. The Tesla sales associate could not tell my wife if it was going to have a round steering wheel or the night rider steering wheel.  My wife was not willing to drop $115k and not know what steering wheel she was getting.  She even told them it hinged on that.  They said "We all have no idea, you need to order and see what arrives".  Yikes!

The $35k price delta for the GMC will pay for the fuel for 170k miles.

(Pedantic folks, yes there are a lot of other factors, resale, tax credits, fuel price, electricity price, maintenance, yada, yada, yada)
    A bison’s level of aggressiveness, both physical and passive, is legendary. - NPS
  • JohnInCarolina
    JohnInCarolina Posts: 30,976
    Options
    Eoin said:

Another issue, and maybe charm, is the quirkiness.  What sealed the deal on the GMC was the steering wheel on the updated Model S. The Tesla sales associate could not tell my wife if it was going to have a round steering wheel or the night rider steering wheel.  My wife was not willing to drop $115k and not know what steering wheel she was getting.  She even told them it hinged on that.  They said "We all have no idea, you need to order and see what arrives".  Yikes!

(Pedantic folks, yes there are a lot of other factors, resale, tax credits, fuel price, electricity price, maintenance, yada, yada, yada)
    I can't believe your wife's not a Knight Rider fan!

"I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    edited May 2021
    Options
    Eoin said:

She loves The Hoff, just not KIT.
    Honestly, who doesn't love The Hoff?
  • JohnInCarolina
    Options
    Eoin said:

I loved that show as a kid.  I remember thinking the car was very cool and how awesome the Pontiac Trans Am was.

Then I grew up.
  • saluki2007
    saluki2007 Posts: 6,354
    Options
    I thought the plaid was the only one coming with that steering wheel?
    Large and Small BGE
    Central, IL

• Hook_emHornsfan_74
    Options
    Eoin said:

I loved that show as a kid.  I remember thinking the car was very cool and how awesome the Pontiac Trans Am was.

Then I grew up.
    Used to watch that and Airwolf.  Younger me thought those were the greatest shows ever.  Oh and The A-Team
    Midland, TX XLBGE
  • nolaegghead
    Options
    The a team 80er anos 80 GIF on GIFER - by Dir

Options
    Eoin said:

Then I grew up.
    Used to watch that and Airwolf.  Younger me thought those were the greatest shows ever.  Oh and The A-Team
    Loved me some AirWolf.  Pretty sad what became of Jan Michael Vincent.
  • SonVolt
    SonVolt Posts: 3,314
    Options
    Weird coincidence. Just last night I saw Jan Michael Vincent in a small cameo working at a bowling alley in the movie Buffalo '66.
    South of Nashville  -  BGE XL  -  Alfresco 42" ALXE  -  Alfresco Versa Burner  - Sunbeam Microwave 
  • JohnInCarolina
    Options
    SonVolt said:
    Weird coincidence. Just last night I saw Jan Michael Vincent in a small cameo working at a bowling alley in the movie Buffalo '66.
    There is a parody account for him on Twitter that can be mildly amusing or disgusting, depending on your sense of humor:

https://twitter.com/Airwolf4Life
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    edited May 2021
    Options
    Airwolf, A-Team, Night Rider, Simon& Simon, Magnum PI. So many Jems.

I thought the plaid was the only one coming with that steering wheel?
    Nobody could tell us for sure.  It is like ordering the most expensive Cracker Jack box ever, hoping you get the good toy.
  • nolaegghead
    Options
    blind99 said:

Heavier vehicles than the same size and style of gas burners. Plus generally higher take off torque than the general run of gas burners. Add to that narrow “eco” tires for most that result in a higher psi load on the tires. 

I found this on Consumer Reports: "Jill Trotta, vice president of marketing and sales at RepairPal, says that by the time a vehicle reaches its fifth year—which is often when expensive items like tires wear out—EVs cost about $900 a year to repair and maintain, whereas comparable gasoline-powered cars cost about $1,200."

Options
    I would be happy if I did tires every 5 years, but on the other hand, I rarely spend more than $1000 on the set (but I'm a cheap bastard).
    Options
    blind99 said:

I found this on Consumer Reports: "Jill Trotta, vice president of marketing and sales at RepairPal, says that by the time a vehicle reaches its fifth year—which is often when expensive items like tires wear out—EVs cost about $900 a year to repair and maintain, whereas comparable gasoline-powered cars cost about $1,200."

It's hard to know how much year 1-4 maintenance costs are based on dealer service intervals and their need to keep up service revenue. I'm sure an EV can be pretty much service free most of the time, but they probably keep the intervals for revenue.
  • nolaegghead
    Options
    Much of that service is "inspecting" stuff.  That's code for putting it on the lift and yelling

Is the forced genderraceorientation thing just cha ching   TigerDroppingscom

Options
    blind99 said:

I never said that the overall maintenance/operational cost was higher. Just that the tire cost was likely higher.
  • nolaegghead
    Options
    blind99 said:

I never said that the overall maintenance/operational cost was higher. Just that the tire cost was likely higher.

I know.
    Options
    blind99 said:

Once you get used to EV driving technique, you find out that you can stretch the range by being smooth, carrying speed / avoiding unnecessary speed up / slow down and simply slowing down. I am a lot less aggressive on tyres in the EV than in a petrol car.
  • JohnInCarolina
    Options
    Eoin said:
    blind99 said:

Once you get used to EV driving technique, you find out that you can stretch the range by being smooth, carrying speed / avoiding unnecessary speed up / slow down and simply slowing down. I am a lot less aggressive on tyres in the EV than in a petrol car.
    EVs are also able to effect better traction control.  Better traction control means less slip which means less wear.  I am not convinced tires actually wear out more quickly in a run-of-the-mill EV, but would be happy to look at real data that indicates otherwise.  
  • nolaegghead
    Options
    It was my first thought that squeezing efficiency out of tires was probably one of the easiest ways to extend mileage.  Rolling resistance doesn't get you from point A to point B.  It might get you more traction, but most EVs aren't Tesla Roadsters.

How to do that?  Probably more silicone in the compound, higher tire pressures, smaller contact patch, lower heat, etc.   I can see those tires costing more for the size and what they are, but it was counter-intuitive to think they cost more over the life of the car.

Good thing is there's plenty of road miles on EVs out there to mine the data (and train the machine learning AI).  But I'm too lazy to dig it up.
    Options
    It was my first thought that squeezing efficiency out of tires was probably one of the easiest ways to extend mileage.  Rolling resistance doesn't get you from point A to point B.  It might get you more traction, but most EVs aren't Tesla Roadsters.

How to do that?  Probably more silicone in the compound, higher tire pressures, smaller contact patch, lower heat, etc.   I can see those tires costing more for the size and what they are, but it was counter-intuitive to think they cost more over the life of the car.

Good thing is there's plenty of road miles on EVs out there to mine the data (and train the machine learning AI).  But I'm too lazy to dig it up.
    I would not be able to keep my foot off the throttle in a Tesla.  I don't think the acceleration would ever get old.  
    Large, Medium, MiniMax, & 22, and 36" Blackstone
    Grand Rapids MI
  • Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,487
    Options

How to do that?  Probably more silicone in the compound, higher tire pressures, smaller contact patch, lower heat, etc.   
    While I was still in High School, Popular Mechanics reported a new record: 537 mpg!!  And it was done in a '57 Chevy!
    I can remember three details from the story:
    1.  They removed the front and rear glass, to reduce wind resistance;
    2.  They used an unusual technique on the test track: accelerating from 3 mph to (iirc) 17 mph, then killing the engine and stepping in the clutch, coasting back down to 3 mph; and
    3.  The Tires!  They cut off all but the middle tread, hyper-inflated them, and rode on those (iirc, 4" square footprint for the whole car, which had also been stripped of all excess weight).  
    I can't remember any details about any engine modifications, but hey that was 45 years ago or more.  An admirable project, but I wouldn't like to drive that vehicle thru a South Dakota snowstorm.  

"Pro-Life" would be twenty students graduating from Sandy Hook next month  

• JohnInCarolina
    Options
    Botch said:

An admirable project, but I wouldn't like to drive that vehicle thru a South Dakota snowstorm.  
    Well... to say the least.
  • PeteSliver
    PeteSliver Posts: 153
    Options
    @Botch great story!  I wonder if there is any video of that on the internet?