Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

OT - What are you doing right now?

Comments

• Foghorn
    Foghorn Posts: 9,795
    Winter wonderland out there. 

What part of South Texas is that?

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• Now that the kids are in bed, we’re blasting Oscar Peterson (@botch), sipping Sauvignon Blanc and eating baked beans featuring duck (courtesy of B-I-L) and topped with a fried egg. Paired with fresh baked bread from M-I-L. Nice way to end a busy workday and a healthy dose of snow. Doing this on the tail end of a Zoom meeting regarding future planning considerations for our neighbourhood. Date nights in the COVID-era certainly do look different - but equally as much fun as a night on the town. 

I like the fireplace.  Assume it’s gas?
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • Now that the kids are in bed, we’re blasting Oscar Peterson (@botch), sipping Sauvignon Blanc and eating baked beans featuring duck (courtesy of B-I-L) and topped with a fried egg. Paired with fresh baked bread from M-I-L. Nice way to end a busy workday and a healthy dose of snow. Doing this on the tail end of a Zoom meeting regarding future planning considerations for our neighbourhood. Date nights in the COVID-era certainly do look different - but equally as much fun as a night on the town. 

Thanks. Yes, gas. We used to have a wood burning one in our former home, but the convenience and ease of this one can’t be beat. Truth be told, we find it to be a little dated looking. We have a lot of gold accents into the living room though, so we kept it as is. I had toyed with the idea of rendering the shiny gold matte with some abrasion, and to match some of the other gold accents, but I haven’t ventured there yet. 

Thanks. Yes, gas. We used to have a wood burning one in our former home, but the convenience and ease of this one can’t be beat. Truth be told, we find it to be a little dated looking. We have a lot of gold accents into the living room though, so we kept it as is. I had toyed with the idea of rendering the shiny gold matte with some abrasion, and to match some of the other gold accents, but I haven’t ventured there yet. 
    We had one in the place we lived in out in ABQ about six years ago:

It was gas, and so nice to have.  It threw off a lot of heat.  

The one we have in our current home is wood, and we hardly ever use it.  It’s just nowhere near as convenient.
  • SonVolt
    SonVolt Posts: 3,314
    edited February 2021
    Now that the kids are in bed, we’re blasting Oscar Peterson (@botch), sipping Sauvignon Blanc and eating baked beans featuring duck (courtesy of B-I-L) and topped with a fried egg. Paired with fresh baked bread from M-I-L. Nice way to end a busy workday and a healthy dose of snow. Doing this on the tail end of a Zoom meeting regarding future planning considerations for our neighbourhood. Date nights in the COVID-era certainly do look different - but equally as much fun as a night on the town. 

When we moved into our home there was shiny brass everywhere - door handles, fixtures, faucets, fireplace trim (etc). We ripped everything out in a desperate attempt to purge everything '80s chic.  Now I've come full circle and absolutely love brass, just so long as it's not polished. 
    South of Nashville  -  BGE XL  -  Alfresco 42" ALXE  -  Alfresco Versa Burner  - Sunbeam Microwave 
  • ColtsFan
    ColtsFan Posts: 6,310
    Explaining to my wife that just because I'm kicked back in my chair and not typing on my PC doesn't mean I am not working. The majority of my day is running through processes and procedures to figure out what's best and that's 80% done in my head before taking it to paper.
    She's a numbers/analytics person so it's spreadsheets and raw data all day for her...Not me :)
    She thinks I'm loafing, which by all accounts, I do plenty of that too.
    ~ John - https://www.instagram.com/hoosier_egger
    XL BGE, LG BGE, KJ Jr, PK Original, Ardore Pizza Oven, King Disc 
    Bloomington, IN - Hoo Hoo Hoo Hoosiers!

• SciAggie
    SciAggie Posts: 6,481
    ColtsFan said:
    Explaining to my wife that just because I'm kicked back in my chair and not typing on my PC doesn't mean I am not working. The majority of my day is running through processes and procedures to figure out what's best and that's 80% done in my head before taking it to paper.
    She's a numbers/analytics person so it's spreadsheets and raw data all day for her...Not me :)
    Ha! I get some of that too. For some of my project based research students I have to sit and think through their processes and procedures as well. So sometimes admin will assume I'm "not busy" during my conference period...
    Coleman, Texas
    Large BGE & Mini Max for the wok. A few old camp Dutch ovens and a wood fired oven. LSG 24” cabinet offset smoker. There are a few paella pans and a Patagonia cross in the barn. A curing chamber for bacterial transformation of meats...
    "Bourbon slushies. Sure you can cook on the BGE without them, but why would you?"
                                                                                                                          YukonRon
  • Canugghead
    Canugghead Posts: 11,458
    Foghorn said:
    Winter wonderland out there. 

What part of South Texas is that?
    Nay, sort of out-of-whack to be in South Texas, hydro pole/wires are still standing  =)
    canuckland

We had one in the place we lived in out in ABQ about six years ago:

It was gas, and so nice to have.  It threw off a lot of heat.  

The one we have in our current home is wood, and we hardly ever use it.  It’s just nowhere near as convenient.
    That’s a neat stack. Looks like a really cool house.  

What I miss from the wood fireplace is the sound and smell - there are no substitutes for these. What I don’t miss is the mess (i.e., wood crumbs, ash, etc.), the wood and fire management, and the fire risk, which often prevented me from using it. 

As a result, we use the gas a great deal.
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    Ozzie_Isaac Posts: 18,945
    SciAggie said:
    ColtsFan said:
    Ha! I get some of that too. For some of my project based research students I have to sit and think through their processes and procedures as well. So sometimes admin will assume I'm "not busy" during my conference period...
    So many people equate motion with progress and "businesses" with accomplishment.
    A bison’s level of aggressiveness, both physical and passive, is legendary. - NPS
  • GrateEggspectations
    GrateEggspectations Posts: 9,184
    edited February 2021
    ColtsFan said:
    She thinks I'm loafing, which by all accounts, I do plenty of that too.. 
    *playing PS5 when she’s not watching*
  • ColtsFan
    ColtsFan Posts: 6,310
    ColtsFan said:
    She thinks I'm loafing, which by all accounts, I do plenty of that too.. 
    *playing PS5 when she’s not watching*

LMAO.. I know better than to do that. The PS5 is in the family room. The Xbox One is in my office...You know, for those at home lunch breaks
    ~ John - https://www.instagram.com/hoosier_egger
    XL BGE, LG BGE, KJ Jr, PK Original, Ardore Pizza Oven, King Disc 
    Bloomington, IN - Hoo Hoo Hoo Hoosiers!

• WeberWho
    WeberWho Posts: 11,008
    edited February 2021

I once had a heaping spoonful of that stuff on a dare. I've never done psychedelic drugs but that experience with Da Bomb came close. I remember sitting on the carpet thinking I was hovering off the ground by a few inches. I believe I went through a half gallon of milk and half loaf of bread shortly after. I won the $20 bet. It was one crazy experience!

I do appreciate how everyone hates it on Hot Ones. It is truly terrible. 
    "The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota
  • Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,432
    WeberWho said:

I once had a heaping spoonful of that stuff on a dare. I've never done psychedelic drugs but that experience with Da Bomb came close. I remember sitting on the carpet thinking I was hovering off the ground by a few inches. I believe I went through a half gallon of milk and half loaf of bread shortly after. I won the $20 bet. It was one crazy experience!

In '94 or so, I ate a breakfast burrito with three drops of the original "Insanity" sauce, and did a life-long retreat.  I like hot, but not pain; it makes no sense to me anymore.  

"I mean, I don't just kill guys, I'm notorious for doing in houseplants."  - Maggie, Northern Exposure

• WeberWho
    WeberWho Posts: 11,008
    Botch said:
    WeberWho said:

In '94 or so, I ate a breakfast burrito with three drops of the original "Insanity" sauce, and did a life-long retreat.  I like hot, but not pain; it makes no sense to me anymore.  
    I don't blame you. It really doesn't make a lot of sense. I have to scratch that itch every once in awhile. The pain of hot. I'm not necessarily the best at extreme heat but I'll give it a go. Something about it that gets my mouth watering and taste buds going. 
    "The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota
  • @WeberWho: The funny thing is, scoville-wise, it shouldn’t be such a torturous sauce. I regularly consume many others in much higher brackets. But Da’Bomb is just caustic. Harsh. 

The one I’m really itching to open is the Last Dab. That one is for another day. 
  • @WeberWho: The funny thing is, scoville-wise, it shouldn’t be such a torturous sauce. I regularly consume many others in much higher brackets. But Da’Bomb is just caustic. Harsh. 

The one I’m really itching to open is the Last Dab. That one is for another day. 
    I enjoy that Hot Ones show.  Pretty fun to see who can take the really hot stuff and who can’t.  In the middle of all of it, the guy does a pretty good job interviewing the guest.
  • Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,432
    JohnInCarolina said:
    I enjoy that Hot Ones show.  Pretty fun to see who can take the really hot stuff and who can’t.  In the middle of all of it, the guy does a pretty good job interviewing the guest.
    Can't remember who the guest was, but one guy just about left the set after #8, he really hated it.  #9 and 10, he was fine with (and they were (supposedly) hotter),  so taste does have something to do with it.  

"I mean, I don't just kill guys, I'm notorious for doing in houseplants."  - Maggie, Northern Exposure

• ColbyLang
    ColbyLang Posts: 3,381
    Remembering last night’s rye tasting at my neighborhood house... had some great ones: and some not so great ones 

• nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    trying to find some parts for my forklift.
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    Some friends borrowed the boat and ran out into the gulf for some fishing.  They threw back more than they kept.
    I’m going to give you the best advice you ever received. Carefully cut out and clean the anuses. Deep fry the anuses in peanut oil for no more that 30 seconds. Put on a bun with cheese and mayo. Heaven on a bun my friend. 

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out.