Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Share Your Unpopular Barbecue Opinion

Options

Comments

• RyanStl
    RyanStl Posts: 1,050
    Options
    FTC was invented to let people feel like they are the top eschelon to act like only you know how to make to the perfect brisket.  Just get it done on time.
  • bucky925
    bucky925 Posts: 2,029
    Options
    As a binder, honey makes more sense than mustard.  
    Only for hot and fast cooks. 

Be careful when following the masses. Sometimes the M is silent.

• UNCHeels08
    Options
    Ribs that are fall off the bone are better than the “competition style” ones with bite. 

(ducks)
    Raleigh, NC

LBGE
  • JohnInCarolina
    Options
    johnnyp said:
    Adding bacon doesn’t always make things better 

@MeatChurch would like a word with you

Meant to add a picture. Reopening the floor for the discussion of bacon wrapped things (if John recognizes the motion and allows it). 
    Your motion has been recognized.  Can I get a motion to approve from someone on the council of elders?
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • Foghorn
    Foghorn Posts: 9,846
    Options
    So moved.

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• ColtsFan
    ColtsFan Posts: 6,346
    edited October 2020
    Options
    It's not all about the smoke ring
    ~ John - https://www.instagram.com/hoosier_egger
    XL BGE, LG BGE, KJ Jr, PK Original, Ardore Pizza Oven, King Disc 
    Bloomington, IN - Hoo Hoo Hoo Hoosiers!

• johnnyp
    johnnyp Posts: 3,932
    Options
    johnnyp said:

Meant to add a picture. Reopening the floor for the discussion of bacon wrapped things (if John recognizes the motion and allows it). 
    Your motion has been recognized.  Can I get a motion to approve from someone on the council of elders?
    I tried this after seeing MC's post.  Still think they're trash.  

For a more thoughtful discussion, MC recommended using an All Purpose BBQ rub.  Frankly, I didn't like the flavor combo with the chocolate cookie. In hindsight a brown sugar candied bacon would probably been a better choice.  Also, the cookie -now, grease sponge- got a little soggy, before cooling. The cream filling melted, then cooled with a grittier crystal structure and was much less pleasant, texture-wise. Over all, they were an interesting novelty and, if presented one, I may eat one again.....but, I wont make them again
    XL & MM BGE, 36" Blackstone - Newport News, VA
  • Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,627
    Options
    I would (I haven’t done this) pre-cook the bacon, skip wrapping the Oreo and wrap bacon and Oreo in something like phyllo or rice paper.  The time it takes to cook the bacon and the rendering is ruining the Oreo.
  • Legume
    Options
    I’ve started using the pre-cooked (really it’s just par cooked) hormel bacon.  We use it on things that get ruined by the long cook time needed for uncooked bacon that’s been wrapped.
  • Legume
    Options
    Foghorn said:
    So moved.
    And I thought he was going to have to post on greeneffers forum to get the right audience.
  • johnnyp
    johnnyp Posts: 3,932
    Options
    Legume said:
    I would (I haven’t done this) pre-cook the bacon, skip wrapping the Oreo and wrap bacon and Oreo in something like phyllo or rice paper.  The time it takes to cook the bacon and the rendering is ruining the Oreo.
    bacon topped oreo sounds >>> bacon wrapped oreo.  

I chose to follow the meat church and ended up with a false idol ;)
    XL & MM BGE, 36" Blackstone - Newport News, VA
  • kl8ton
    kl8ton Posts: 5,429
    Options
    reading all of these comments was a good use of my time
    Large, Medium, MiniMax, & 22, and 36" Blackstone
    Grand Rapids MI
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,776
    Options
    i would of used prosciutto
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Wooderson
    Wooderson Posts: 355
    Options
    Too much whiskey gives you the runs. 
    Who cares,  it's whiskey
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    Ozzie_Isaac Posts: 19,114
    edited October 2020
    Options
    Legume said:
    I’ve started using the pre-cooked (really it’s just par cooked) hormel bacon.  We use it on things that get ruined by the long cook time needed for uncooked bacon that’s been wrapped.
    I would dip my oreo in liquid nitrogen first, then wrap in partially rendered bacon, finish at high heat to finish bacon and crisp.
    They don’t want a population of citizens capable of critical thinking. They don’t want well informed, well educated people capable of critical thinking. They’re not interested in that. That doesn’t help them. That's against their interests. - George Carlin
  • UplandEgger
    Options
    Pulled pork is better when it's made on the stove, not on a BBQ.  
  • Legume
    Options
    Liquid nitrogen is not bbq.
  • SciAggie
    SciAggie Posts: 6,481
    Options
    Carnitas is better than pulled pork.
    How can that be unpopular? At least I agree with you.
    Coleman, Texas
    Large BGE & Mini Max for the wok. A few old camp Dutch ovens and a wood fired oven. LSG 24” cabinet offset smoker. There are a few paella pans and a Patagonia cross in the barn. A curing chamber for bacterial transformation of meats...
    "Bourbon slushies. Sure you can cook on the BGE without them, but why would you?"
                                                                                                                          YukonRon
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    Pulled pork is the Wonder Bread of BBQ.
    Options
    Pumpkins were created by the dark lord and any BBQ using pumpkin in any form exposes the dark lord's minion-demons to the world.  Or they are just regular people with very bad irregular palates.
    edited October 2020
    Options
    Joe Biden has the best nose when it comes to BBQ...and what shampoo minors use.  
    South Central Kansas
    Instagram: @midwest_voyager
  • SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    Options
    johnnyp said:
    johnnyp said:

For a more thoughtful discussion, MC recommended using an All Purpose BBQ rub.  Frankly, I didn't like the flavor combo with the chocolate cookie. In hindsight a brown sugar candied bacon would probably been a better choice.  Also, the cookie -now, grease sponge- got a little soggy, before cooling. The cream filling melted, then cooled with a grittier crystal structure and was much less pleasant, texture-wise. Over all, they were an interesting novelty and, if presented one, I may eat one again.....but, I wont make them again
    @johnnyp
    Thanks for your honest review. I am definitely intrigued, but I tried fried Oreos that were all the rage as carny-food years ago and thought the same thing. The grease-soaked cookie wasn't exactly pleasant to me. Like you...if someone handed me a piping hot fried Oreo I am probably going to eat it. 

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• SaltySam
    SaltySam Posts: 887
    Options
    Pulled pork is the Wonder Bread of BBQ.
    Fine then.  McRibs, candy corn and pulled pork.  This hill is getting bigger.  

White bread rules

LBGE since June 2012

Omaha, NE

• lkapigian
    lkapigian Posts: 10,767
    Options
    I like the membrane on my ribs and the snap they give when cooked right ( which does not included hours wrapped in foil)
    Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • buzd504
    buzd504 Posts: 3,824
    Options
    johnnyp said:
    johnnyp said:

Oreos suck.
    NOLA
  • JohnInCarolina
    Options
    Nice forum pic.  Reminds me of the guy who has Hillary behind bars.  
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • GrateEggspectations
    Options
    When it comes to wings.....the smaller the better.
    I agree, for wings.  Breasts are a different story.
    Too big can be a thing. I’m all for proportionality.... to appetite, I mean. 
  • Acn
    Acn Posts: 4,424
    Options
    Nice forum pic.  Reminds me of the guy who has Hillary behind bars.  
    Who is gonna go with the Rudy G screenshot from Borat 2?  Or the 2500 blank pages they gave Leslie Stahl?

LBGE

Pikesville, MD

• SonVolt
    SonVolt Posts: 3,314
    Options
    It's sort of obnoxious to trim your brisket at home the way Aaron Franklin does. 
    South of Nashville  -  BGE XL  -  Alfresco 42" ALXE  -  Alfresco Versa Burner  - Sunbeam Microwave