Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Share Your Unpopular Barbecue Opinion

Options

Comments

• nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    BGEs do not need gaskets.

Houses don't need sealed doors and windows either.
    Houses shouldn't be overly sealed, they need to be able to breath, otherwise you will have moisture issues.

HVAC in heat or cool modes reduce relative humidity.  When you don't need them, open the doors and windows.  There are fresh air regulations for occupied buildings, because people need oxygen or something or another.  Who knows.
    Options
    Barbecue in America began in Virginia. Virginia owns the birthright to all barbecue styles in America.  Memphis, North Carolina, (both Piedmont style and Eastern style), South Carolina, Georgia, Kansas City, Central Texas, East Texas, and Alabama styles all began in Virginia and splintered off Virginia style barbecue. 
    I like my butt rubbed and my pork pulled.
    Member since 2009
  • HeavyG
    HeavyG Posts: 10,350
    Options
    500 said:
    Barbecue in America began in Virginia. Virginia owns the birthright to all barbecue styles in America.  Memphis, North Carolina, (both Piedmont style and Eastern style), South Carolina, Georgia, Kansas City, Central Texas, East Texas, and Alabama styles all began in Virginia and splintered off Virginia style barbecue. 

Probably is an unpopular opinion but it is also fact, not opinion. European settlers in Virginia in the early 1600's learned some techniques from the Powhatan tribe which morphed into the start of "American BBQ". So says Joseph R. Haynes, author of "Virginia Barbecue: A History" which came out a few years ago. Was a good read.

“Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,767
    Options
    so virginia is responsible for the new england burger and dog bbqs we have here. damn you virginia
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • alaskanassasin
    Options
    Use a air exchanger on a tight house
    South of Columbus, Ohio.

• johnnyp
    johnnyp Posts: 3,932
    edited October 2020
    Options
    so virginia is responsible for the new england burger and dog bbqs we have here. damn you virginia
    Sounds like your unpopular opinion is that burgers and dogs are barbecue

XL & MM BGE, 36" Blackstone - Newport News, VA
  • frazzdaddy
    frazzdaddy Posts: 2,617
    Options
    johnnyp said:

A lot of southern women learned that stare from that movie.
    Xl bge ,LG bge, two 4' crusher cone fire pits. Weber Genisis gasser and 
    Two rusty Weber kettles. 

Two Rivers Farm
    Moncure N.C.
  • fishlessman
    Options
    johnnyp said:

its very popular here, almost an art form.  all thats needed is to upgrade to a viking professional propane grill with an infrared burner for that perfect hotdog. the weber folks dont know bbq
    fukahwee maine

• Foghorn
    Foghorn Posts: 9,844
    Options
    This website on Texas BBQ doesn't say anything about Virginia.

I realize that doesn't make it right.  But I think that the German and Czech influence in Central Texas is real.  Probably a melding of what migrated down from Virginia with what was brought over from Europe.

https://theculturetrip.com/north-america/usa/texas/articles/a-brief-history-of-texas-barbecue/

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• fishlessman
    Options
    a thousand years before texas invented chili, the portuguese were eating it

fukahwee maine

• dbCooper
    dbCooper Posts: 2,081
    Options
    Never eat bbq at a place where all the chairs match.
    LBGE, LBGE-PTR, 22" Weber, Coleman 413G
    Great Plains, USA
  • Wolfpack
    Wolfpack Posts: 3,551
    Options
    500 said:
    Not going to dispute they may have been the origin, but wow they dropped the ball. 

When’s the last time you have heard of VA bbq being mentioned in the famous/infamous journals, tv spots, and social media posts?
    Greensboro, NC
  • northGAcock
    northGAcock Posts: 15,164
    edited October 2020
    Options
    BGEs do not need gaskets.

Houses don't need sealed doors and windows either.
    Houses shouldn't be overly sealed, they need to be able to breath, otherwise you will have moisture issues.

HVAC in heat or cool modes reduce relative humidity.  When you don't need them, open the doors and windows.  There are fresh air regulations for occupied buildings, because people need oxygen or something or another.  Who knows.
    Occasionally there is the need to clear a good ol fashion fart. Must keep that in mind. 
    Ellijay GA with a Medium & MiniMax

Well, I married me a wife, she's been trouble all my life,
    Run me out in the cold rain and snow
  • Kayak
    Kayak Posts: 700
    Options
    BBQ originated with people who:

A. Had little to choose from.
    B. Knew next to nothing about nutrition.

Why are we so infatuated with it today?

Bob

New Cumberland, PA
    XL with the usual accessories

• xfire_ATX
    xfire_ATX Posts: 1,115
    Options

I was in Burlington NC for work, my dining partner was going to take me to a Steak dinner but I said lets go somewhere local... maybe some BBQ

We roll up to Smithfield's Chicken 'N Bar-B-Q
    I walk in and think this seems like Fast Food....
    Walk up to Counter, nice person asks me what I want.
    Being from Central TX I ask the perennial question- what type of BBQ do you have?

This happens
    Side eye puppet meme  Meme template Memes Monkey puppet

As I stand there thinking ummm what.  Finally my Dinner partner tells me they only have Pulled Pork... AH.

Anyway it was really good fried chicken and pulled pork, had to go elsewhere to get a beer though.
    XLBGE, LBGECharbroil Gas Grill, Weber Q2000, Old Weber Kettle, Rectec RT-B380, Yeti 65, Yeti Hopper 20, RTIC 20, RTIC 20 Soft Side - Too many drinkware vessels to mention.

Not quite in Austin, TX City Limits
    Just Vote- What if you could choose "none of the above" on an election ballot? Millions of Americans do just that, in effect, by not voting.  The result in 2016: "Nobody" won more counties, more states, and more electoral votes than either candidate for president. 
  • frazzdaddy
    frazzdaddy Posts: 2,617
    Options
    xfire_ATX said:

I was in Burlington NC for work, my dining partner was going to take me to a Steak dinner but I said lets go somewhere local... maybe some BBQ

Being from Central TX I ask the perennial question- what type of BBQ do you have?

This happens

As I stand there thinking ummm what.  Finally my Dinner partner tells me they only have Pulled Pork... AH.

Anyway it was really good fried chicken and pulled pork, had to go elsewhere to get a beer though.
    Yeah, that's kinda like cruising Walmart for Wagyu. We could have done you a lot better elsewhere.
    Xl bge ,LG bge, two 4' crusher cone fire pits. Weber Genisis gasser and 
    Two rusty Weber kettles. 

Two Rivers Farm
    Moncure N.C.
  • SciAggie
    SciAggie Posts: 6,481
    Options
    Kayak said:

I have a personal opinion (don't know if it's unpopular) that peasant foods are delicious comfort foods.
    Coleman, Texas
    Large BGE & Mini Max for the wok. A few old camp Dutch ovens and a wood fired oven. LSG 24” cabinet offset smoker. There are a few paella pans and a Patagonia cross in the barn. A curing chamber for bacterial transformation of meats...
    "Bourbon slushies. Sure you can cook on the BGE without them, but why would you?"
                                                                                                                          YukonRon
  • nolaegghead
    Options

Heat exchanger on the fresh air?
    Options
    xfire_ATX said:

This happens

Yeah, that's kinda like cruising Walmart for Wagyu. We could have done you a lot better elsewhere.
    We actually bought wagyu from Walmart a few times.  Ground burger meat.

Options
    I envy those that can just "open a window" and not get a house full of flies. 
    South of Nashville  -  BGE XL  -  Alfresco 42" ALXE  -  Alfresco Versa Burner  - Sunbeam Microwave 
  • nolaegghead
    Options
    SonVolt said:

...or murder hornets...
    Options
    SciAggie said:
    Kayak said:

I have a personal opinion (don't know if it's unpopular) that peasant foods are delicious comfort foods.
    @SciAggie, Ever watch the youtube video with Paul Prudhomme making gumbo and  jambalaya? He touches on being poor, having little to work with, but still coming up with delicious meals. Peasant/Comfort foods indeed.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M5XXU47q9js

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• lkapigian
    lkapigian Posts: 10,767
    Options

Energy Recovery Ventilators , brings in OSA and exchanges heat with Inside air so there is not so much sensible heat loss or gain 
    Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • nolaegghead
    Options
    lkapigian said:

Energy Recovery Ventilators , brings in OSA and exchanges heat with Inside air so there is not so much sensible heat loss or gain 

I was looking at some latent heat exchangers for our lab.  They use a rotating wheel with desiccant.   Decided against it because of the methylene chloride in the exhaust is so high.
    edited October 2020
    Options
    johnnyp said:

its very popular here, almost an art form.  all thats needed is to upgrade to a viking professional propane grill with an infrared burner for that perfect hotdog. the weber folks dont know bbq
    One of the best methods to warm up a hotdog is to wrap it tightly in a damp paper towel and microwave it.  My preferred time is 1:03, then rest for a few minutes.
    They don’t want a population of citizens capable of critical thinking. They don’t want well informed, well educated people capable of critical thinking. They’re not interested in that. That doesn’t help them. That's against their interests. - George Carlin
  • alaskanassasin
    Options
    we have a fan in the basement that supposedly pulls air through the house and vents outside.
    South of Columbus, Ohio.

• alaskanassasin
    alaskanassasin Posts: 7,659
    edited October 2020
    Options
    SonVolt said:

Prep Your Window Screens For Spring - Sacramento CA - A to Z WIndow
    South of Columbus, Ohio.

• fishlessman
    Options
    johnnyp said:

One of the best methods to warm up a hotdog is to wrap it tightly in a damp paper towel and microwave it.  My preferred time is 1:03, then rest for a few minutes.

deep fried at 350f, slice of american white cheese wrapped around it in a hot butterfried split top roll , top with sauerkraut,  chili, and mustard works for me. when you butterfry the split top sprinkle it with dp firewalk to the outside of the roll. favorite stand went out a few years ago, i miss those
    fukahwee maine