Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Brisket..... How I do it.

Options

Comments

• johnmitchell
    johnmitchell Posts: 6,570
    Options
    Without scrolling through the whole post...Do you guys do fat side up or down with this recipe?
    Greensboro North Carolina
    When in doubt Accelerate....
  • JohnInCarolina
    JohnInCarolina Posts: 30,945
    Options
    Without scrolling through the whole post...Do you guys do fat side up or down with this recipe?
    Definitely up.  It's a braise, so it makes more sense to have the braise apply to the meat than the fat.  
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • Mark_B_Good
    Mark_B_Good Posts: 1,516
    Options
    Definitely up.  It's a braise, so it makes more sense to have the braise apply to the meat than the fat.  
    Wait, if you need to braise the meat, how do you do that if the fat is up??
    Napoleon Prestige Pro 665, XL BGE, Lots of time for BBQ!
  • JohnInCarolina
    Options
    The braise here just refers to the fact that the protein is sitting in a pool of marinade.  So you just make sure the fat isn't the part sitting in the pool.  

I see that you're new here, so you may legit be thinking about using this recipe.  It's not terrible, but be advised that just about nobody here with any experience (including @travisstrick) actually uses it any more.  It's kind of a running joke on the forum.  

• nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    I would only do this if I had a pathetic looking flat.
    Options
    would make a fine potroast
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • thetrim
    thetrim Posts: 11,357
    Options
    @travisstrick lost his Army retirement benefits once they learned of this recipe.
    =======================================
    XL 6/06, Mini 6/12, L 10/12, Mini #2 12/14 MiniMax 3/16 Large #2 11/20 Legacy from my FIL - RIP
    Tampa Bay, FL
    EIB 6 Oct 95
  • JRWhitee
    JRWhitee Posts: 5,678
    Options
    I have said it before this recipe is fantastic when making brisket for chili. Save the juice for the base.

Johns Creek, Georgia
  • Mark_B_Good
    Mark_B_Good Posts: 1,516
    Options
    The braise here just refers to the fact that the protein is sitting in a pool of marinade.  So you just make sure the fat isn't the part sitting in the pool.  

I see that you're new here, so you may legit be thinking about using this recipe.  It's not terrible, but be advised that just about nobody here with any experience (including @travisstrick) actually uses it any more.  It's kind of a running joke on the forum.  

Ahhh, and now I am officially part of the inside joke. Thank you.  Yes, I am knew and eager ... and naive ... haha. 

Yeah, I'll stick with my more conventional method of cooking brisket.
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    Options
    Travis I love man. 
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• GoldenQ
    GoldenQ Posts: 566
    Options
    I still use a modified version of this and get great results but I keep the brisket out of the liquid and above
    I XL  and 1 Weber Kettle  And 1 Weber Q220       Outside Alvin, TX-- South of Houston
  • SSQUAL612
    SSQUAL612 Posts: 1,186
    Options
    Looks like Midge is attempting to compete with Travis.

Tyler, TX   XL BGE 2016, KJ Classic 2019,  MES, 18.5 WSM,  Akorn Jr,  36"&17" Black Stone, Adj Rig, Woo, Grill Grates, SS Smokeware Cap, KAB,  FB 300, Thermapen 
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    Mmmmm. Jellied cranberry sauce.
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    Options
    Sorry. Thought I was on the WAYDRN thread. 

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• Ozzie_Isaac
    Ozzie_Isaac Posts: 19,043
    Options
    SGH said:
    It pretty much is,.well at least a siblinhlg.

Also @JohnInCarolina is a thread ruiner.  You can't talk about the joke in the thread that is the joke!  You would be kicked out of Fight Club for sure.
    A bison’s level of aggressiveness, both physical and passive, is legendary. - NPS
  • thetrim
    thetrim Posts: 11,357
    Options
    I really thought with a global pandemic going on, that y'all would let this thread go into the great vast world of forum nothingness....
    =======================================
    XL 6/06, Mini 6/12, L 10/12, Mini #2 12/14 MiniMax 3/16 Large #2 11/20 Legacy from my FIL - RIP
    Tampa Bay, FL
    EIB 6 Oct 95
  • JohnInCarolina
    Options
    SGH said:
    It pretty much is,.well at least a siblinhlg.

Also @JohnInCarolina is a thread ruiner.  You can't talk about the joke in the thread that is the joke!  You would be kicked out of Fight Club for sure.

• RyanStl
    RyanStl Posts: 1,050
    Options
    One time I ended up doing a cook that turned out like this.  Several years ago I had two flats and a horizontal smoker.  My go to at time was smoke pork naked and beef in a catering tray.

I got the two flats for one of my kids birthday parties.  I decided to inject for the first time. Did two cans of beef broth per cut.  By the time I pulled the meat it was boiling to the top of the tray in liquid.  People liked it, but now I have much better methods.
  • Daddyshack
    Daddyshack Posts: 179
    Options
    First, I buy a 10-13lb packer brisket. I choose the most flexible one available and choice or prime is best. 

Trim fat off of meat to an even thickness. About 1/4 inch is fine.

Cut up a large onion in chunks. Add onion, One 12oz beer, and one bottle of Hot and Spicy Allegro. Dump all three into a large alum pan. I prefer Shiner Bock and the Allegro can be found at HEB in Texas. I'm not sure about other states. 

While sitting on a cutting board, cover all exposed surface of meat with yellow mustard and then your rub of choice. I normally use a rub made of equal parts garlic powder, sea salt, and fresh ground black pepper. My last brisket, I used a rub called Grand Champion. The Grand Champion was superb and I will use it from now on. Place the seasoned meat in the pan with the stuff listed above. 

The meat goes directly into the pan resting in the liquid and onion. Use a platesetter, legs down and the factory grate. Place pan with brisket on top of the grate. 

Stabilize egg at 300 dome temp. Add 6-8 fist size chunks of hickory or mesquite or both. Let the egg sit for 20-30 min to burn off any nastys in the wood and lump. 

Once the brisket reaches 205, check for tenderness and remove from egg. (I've never had one not be tender at 205 but, I've heard it happens)  Save the liquid in the pan for sauce. 

imageimageimage
    Man this was great.  Thanks. 
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,337
    Options
    F' me, but the enjoyment is all that counts in the end game.  
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Mark_B_Good
    Options
    First, I buy a 10-13lb packer brisket. I choose the most flexible one available and choice or prime is best. 

Cut up a large onion in chunks. Add onion, One 12oz beer, and one bottle of Hot and Spicy Allegro. Dump all three into a large alum pan. I prefer Shiner Bock and the Allegro can be found at HEB in Texas. I'm not sure about other states. 

While sitting on a cutting board, cover all exposed surface of meat with yellow mustard and then your rub of choice. I normally use a rub made of equal parts garlic powder, sea salt, and fresh ground black pepper. My last brisket, I used a rub called Grand Champion. The Grand Champion was superb and I will use it from now on. Place the seasoned meat in the pan with the stuff listed above. 

The meat goes directly into the pan resting in the liquid and onion. Use a platesetter, legs down and the factory grate. Place pan with brisket on top of the grate. 

Stabilize egg at 300 dome temp. Add 6-8 fist size chunks of hickory or mesquite or both. Let the egg sit for 20-30 min to burn off any nastys in the wood and lump. 

Once the brisket reaches 205, check for tenderness and remove from egg. (I've never had one not be tender at 205 but, I've heard it happens)  Save the liquid in the pan for sauce. 

imageimageimage
    Wait a minute! What meat cut is that?? That must have been juicy as heck!
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,749
    Options

imageimageimage
    Wait a minute! What meat cut is that?? That must have been juicy as heck!

brisket pot roast
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Mattman3969
    Mattman3969 Posts: 10,457
    Options
    HAHA 

-----------------------------------------

analyze adapt overcome

2008 -Large BGE. 2013- Small BGE and 2015 - Mini. Henderson, Ky.
  • GoldenQ
    Options
    For all of you purists, you need to get and use an offset smoker.  For the rest of us the cook is about the finished product regardless of how cooked.   I have found that I like to modify Travisstrick,s  process by putting a cut up onion and beer (prefer Bock) in a pan and laying a two metal flat al pieces across the pan to hold cookie drying rack with the Brisket or even butt on it. When it reaches about 160 I take it and put the meat in the pan after draining most of the juice and wrap the pan  in either al foil or butcher paper wi and put in oven at 325-350 till done--Buttah probing.      This frees up my XL for other things and allows me to let meat rest in oven for a little bit when done. 

I also like a heavy dusting of coarse Dizzy Dust on Beef and use Dizzy pig Raging river on Pork.  

I know this is not the preferred way but my wife loves it better this way and I have learned the best words for a happily married man is YES DEAR.

Good luck however you cook.

By the way, in the late 60's I had a reddy smoke electric 15 in barrel smoker which as since been copied by OLD SMOKEY that would make better chicken or butts than either my XL or the KLOS offset smoker I used to own.
    I XL  and 1 Weber Kettle  And 1 Weber Q220       Outside Alvin, TX-- South of Houston
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,337
    Options
    @GoldenQ - if you get the urge to acquire a new rig w/o breaking the bank the Pit Barrel Cooker really can crank out some chix and ribs. It is "fire and forget" once going.  I have had one for around 5 years now.
    BTW- you don't need to be a purist to play with an off-set.  You just need to want to scratch the itch of learning how to successfully run one and part with some $$.  Lange 36 here and it is fun but a lot of work (being so small) to manage the long duration cooks.  A stick every 20 minutes or so.  But I wanted the challenge.  FWIW-
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • GoldenQ
    Options
    I understand and have had Barrel smoker, Offset Smokers and others.  I was just trying to point out that anyway you like to cook is good as long as it gets results you like.
  • SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    edited September 2020
    Options
    GoldenQ said:
    By the way, in the late 60's I had a reddy smoke electric 15 in barrel smoker which as since been copied by OLD SMOKEY that would make better chicken or butts than either my XL or the KLOS offset smoker I used to own.
    I can relate to this part. The best chicken I have had to to date came off of a galvanized garbage can. That is no joke. In the early 70’s there was an old black man that use to stand out beside the road cooking chickens on several galvanized garbage cans. I can still remember exactly where it was. It was Telephone road in Moss Point, MS, almost straight across the road from where Perry’s Yamaha shop use to be. That would be just south of the old railroad tracks. 
    I don’t know was it the garbage or the galvanize, but that chicken was incredible. 

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• JohnInCarolina
    Options
    Bump.