Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

July 23. A throw back to greatness.

Options
SGH
SGH Posts: 28,791
For all you power shavers out there, on July 23 there will be a limited release of Gillette long comb clone razors released. It will be an initial run of only 100. I am trying to secure 5 of them now. 
From what I have been told by some dedicated power shavers that is in the know, these should be identical clones of the coveted original 1930’s Gillette long combs. If that holds true, the mighty Muhle R41 now has some pretty stiff competition. If I am able to get 5 of them I will be willing to part with 3 of them to any of my power shaving friends on here. 

It is my sincere hope that these are exact copies of the original. If they are it will be heaven on earth.  

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

Comments

• lentsboy007
    lentsboy007 Posts: 416
    Options
    How much will they be ? I’ve always used a cheap Merkur

1 Large Egg, Blackstone griddle

Belgium...........The Netherlands??

• SGH
    Options
    How much will they be ? I’ve always used a cheap Merkur
    That I do not know yet. But unless they are just absolutely ridiculously priced I am going to get at least one of them. As soon as I know the price I will definitely post it 👍

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• Eggin_in_PA
    Options
    Would this be more aggressive than the R41? Your shaving threads resulted in a Merkur Mk34c on the counter lol..  Now that I am acclimated, how much of a difference would an open comb be?  I use the Feather blades.

York County, PA
    Large BGE 2014 - CGS adj rig, spider, and stones..
    Mini Max 2018
  • SGH
    Options

Would this be more aggressive than the R41? Your shaving threads resulted in a Merkur Mk34c on the counter lol..  Now that I am acclimated, how much of a difference would an open comb be?  I use the Feather blades.

This is just a guess right now. I think it will be less aggressive than the R41. Why? A few years back they toned down the original R41 because it was simply to aggressive for most. Only a chosen few could endure the original R41. Thank God I was one of them. As soon as I lay my hands on one I will give an honest comparison to the R41. But my gut says it will be slightly less aggressive. 

Status- Standing by.

• Eggin_in_PA
    Options
    I'll be looking foward to it...
    York County, PA
    Large BGE 2014 - CGS adj rig, spider, and stones..
    Mini Max 2018
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,341
    Options
    @SGH - Not gonna address the shave deal here but should you find yourself wanting to extoll the virtues of shaving and the gourmet anus delight then give the community forum watering hole session a look Friday night.  You will be entertained at a minimum.  FWIW-
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Foghorn
    Foghorn Posts: 9,835
    Options

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• JRWhitee
    JRWhitee Posts: 5,678
    Options

Johns Creek, Georgia
  • JohnInCarolina
    JohnInCarolina Posts: 30,947
    Options
    Foghorn said:

Unfortunately I know exactly what that is, because I’ve had to ask for one from a hotel.  Using one will make you never again forget your own razor before heading out on work travel.
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • SGH
    Options
    Fellows I am very disappointed in some of you. Especially those of you with unlimited money. Your choice of razors leaves a lot to be desired. 

Status- Standing by.

• TEXASBGE2018
    TEXASBGE2018 Posts: 3,831
    Options
    You dudes shave?

Rockwall, Tx    LBGE, Minimax, 22" Blackstone, Pizza Party Bollore. Cast Iron Hoarder.

• nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    There is a massive proverbial Covid-19 jungle in the Southern hemisphere that needs attention.   Thanks, Scottie.
    Options
    Foghorn said:

Unfortunately I know exactly what that is, because I’ve had to ask for one from a hotel.  Using one will make you never again forget your own razor before heading out on work travel.

The problem is that any sort of razor (even a bic) is banned from hand luggage as a 'dangerous' item here. Short business trip = hand luggage only for me.
  • thetrim
    thetrim Posts: 11,357
    Options

=======================================
    XL 6/06, Mini 6/12, L 10/12, Mini #2 12/14 MiniMax 3/16 Large #2 11/20 Legacy from my FIL - RIP
    Tampa Bay, FL
    EIB 6 Oct 95
  • Foghorn
    Foghorn Posts: 9,835
    Options
    Eoin said:
    Foghorn said:

The problem is that any sort of razor (even a bic) is banned from hand luggage as a 'dangerous' item here. Short business trip = hand luggage only for me.
    Interesting @Eoin.  We're allowed to carry a standard razor in our carryon luggage.

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• Photo Egg
    Photo Egg Posts: 12,110
    Options
    Where are they going to be sold?
    I find zero info searching net.
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • SGH
    Options
    Barber Pole

Nothing Beats a Fine Shave

Status- Standing by.

• Eoin
    Eoin Posts: 4,304
    Options
    thetrim said:

You're looking hot @thetrim, no wonder she's all over you.
  • speed51133
    speed51133 Posts: 691
    edited July 2020
    Options
    I have a merkur safety razor. I was going to get into straight edge, but the stripping and maintenance of the blade turned me off. Now that I'm working from home forever, I need some new hobbies....
    XL BGE and Kamado Joe Jr.
  • speed51133
    speed51133 Posts: 691
    edited July 2020
    Options
    Also, disposable razors never presented a problem with TSA. My merkur did. I had to toss out all the blades. 
    XL BGE and Kamado Joe Jr.
  • SonVolt
    SonVolt Posts: 3,314
    Options

South of Nashville  -  BGE XL  -  Alfresco 42" ALXE  -  Alfresco Versa Burner  - Sunbeam Microwave 
  • ColbyLang
    ColbyLang Posts: 3,420
    Options
    Muhle user here. won’t go back to a multi blade ever again. 
  • Eggaroo
    Eggaroo Posts: 417
    Options
    @SGH, are you aware of the launching of a Gillette Fat Boy replica by Global Shave Clubs International in mid-August? They also have replicas of other classic razors on their website, including your most revered R41.
    Greenwood, IN | XL BGE | Weber Genesis | Blackstone 28 | bunch of accessories  =)
  • FanOfFanboys
    FanOfFanboys Posts: 2,615
    Options
    In. I'm down to buy one if I can afford. I use a Merkur HD. I'd like to step it up 

Boom
  • Lit
    Lit Posts: 9,053
    Options
  • SGH
    Options
    Most of you live in tri-level mansions on private islands and fly around in your personal jets and helicopters. And yet look at what you shave with. It is simply unfathomable to me.

Status- Standing by.

• Eggaroo
    Eggaroo Posts: 417
    Options
    Greenwood, IN | XL BGE | Weber Genesis | Blackstone 28 | bunch of accessories  =)
  • thetrim
    thetrim Posts: 11,357
    Options
    =======================================
    XL 6/06, Mini 6/12, L 10/12, Mini #2 12/14 MiniMax 3/16 Large #2 11/20 Legacy from my FIL - RIP
    Tampa Bay, FL
    EIB 6 Oct 95
  • SGH
    Options
    Try this 14 stroke challenge and you will forget about those cheap razors.

How to Shave with a Straight Razor

Status- Standing by.