Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

OT - What are you doing right now?

Options

Comments

• DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,174
    Options
    johnnyp said:
    Fellas, I'm going to share something that's been weighing on my mind.

A week ago today, my cousin's husband turned 35.  Brandon, the father to their two sons (8 and 11), worked hard and was the sole provider for their family.  Three nights ago he suddenly died from a heart attack, leaving my cousin and their two sons without their husband, father and sole provider for the household.

By the grace of god, they had just started a life insurance policy and gotten their financial house in order.  By just, I mean they had only made two payments on that life insurance policy.  Without it, not only would my cousin be grieving, she'd be destitute.

If any of you fellas have been dragging your feet to get your affairs in order, take action. 
    That’s awful. That is far too young. I saw the Facebook post as well. He seemed to be an energetic father and outdoorsman. Had to be a great guy if he was part of your family. Prayers for you, Brooke and the rest of your family during this extremely difficult time. 
  • FarmingPhD
    FarmingPhD Posts: 839
    Options
    johnnyp said:
    Fellas, I'm going to share something that's been weighing on my mind.

A week ago today, my cousin's husband turned 35.  Brandon, the father to their two sons (8 and 11), worked hard and was the sole provider for their family.  Three nights ago he suddenly died from a heart attack, leaving my cousin and their two sons without their husband, father and sole provider for the household.

By the grace of god, they had just started a life insurance policy and gotten their financial house in order.  By just, I mean they had only made two payments on that life insurance policy.  Without it, not only would my cousin be grieving, she'd be destitute.

If any of you fellas have been dragging your feet to get your affairs in order, take action. 
    Sorry to hear.  My wife and I just went through the process of updating all our policies a couple months ago, never a bad time to evaluate how your family will be taken care of.
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,341
    Options
    @johnnyp - I am so saddened to read that.  My condolences to all impacted by this tragedy.  
    Wise words for all of us to heed.  
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • GrateEggspectations
    Options
    @johnnyp

My condolences. Much like a 37 yo father of three (including a newborn) from my office that passed a few months back. Tragic for their families. Just now actually in the process of setting up new life insurance. 
  • SciAggie
    SciAggie Posts: 6,481
    Options
    I am frustrated with the actions of folks of all levels this morning from coworkers to our elected officials. The old norms of conduct are thrown out and the new norms are not friendly. Dami$$ y'all, is it that hard to have a little consideration and compassion for those around you? (rant over)

I baked brioche hot dog buns this morning - pics and post later...
    Coleman, Texas
    Large BGE & Mini Max for the wok. A few old camp Dutch ovens and a wood fired oven. LSG 24” cabinet offset smoker. There are a few paella pans and a Patagonia cross in the barn. A curing chamber for bacterial transformation of meats...
    "Bourbon slushies. Sure you can cook on the BGE without them, but why would you?"
                                                                                                                          YukonRon
  • WeberWho
    WeberWho Posts: 11,026
    Options
    The National Guard did a fly over thanking the local hospital this afternoon. 

"The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,754
    Options
    SciAggie said:
    I am frustrated with the actions of folks of all levels this morning from coworkers to our elected officials. The old norms of conduct are thrown out and the new norms are not friendly. Dami$$ y'all, is it that hard to have a little consideration and compassion for those around you? (rant over)

I baked brioche hot dog buns this morning - pics and post later...

coworkers are off the wall,  pissed they didnt get laid off probably
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,471
    Options
    And now, for some reason, I can get on this forum again with my laptop.  Haven't changed a thing in the last two days.  :perturbed:

Remember when teachers used to say 'You won't have a calculator everywhere you go'?  Well, we showed them.

• thetrim
    thetrim Posts: 11,357
    Options
    Dang.  Sorry to hear that @johnnyp.   
    =======================================
    XL 6/06, Mini 6/12, L 10/12, Mini #2 12/14 MiniMax 3/16 Large #2 11/20 Legacy from my FIL - RIP
    Tampa Bay, FL
    EIB 6 Oct 95
  • Gulfcoastguy
    Gulfcoastguy Posts: 6,296
    Options
    Two swarms on the same tree branch, hold my beer.
    Murdering Murder Hornets?
  • Botch
    Options
    I'll hold your beer, but give me 20 seconds to run inside the house with it, and fire up the video camera!   =)

Remember when teachers used to say 'You won't have a calculator everywhere you go'?  Well, we showed them.

• frazzdaddy
    frazzdaddy Posts: 2,617
    Options
    Gonna definitely need pics, oh and remember to face the hives when you cut the branch.
    Xl bge ,LG bge, two 4' crusher cone fire pits. Weber Genisis gasser and 
    Two rusty Weber kettles. 

Two Rivers Farm
    Moncure N.C.
  • ColbyLang
    ColbyLang Posts: 3,420
    Options
    My plan would be a flame thrower. And a bee keepers suit. Not sure what yours is. Keep us posted
  • Doglegdave
    Doglegdave Posts: 29
    Options
    Breakfast on the porch @ the farm before tackling some brush cutting.  Glorious morning.
  • JohnInCarolina
    JohnInCarolina Posts: 30,948
    Options
    ColbyLang said:
    My plan would be a flame thrower. And a bee keepers suit. Not sure what yours is. Keep us posted
    What could possibly go wrong taking a flame thrower to a couple of nests in a tree?  
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • johnnyp
    johnnyp Posts: 3,932
    Options
    XL & MM BGE, 36" Blackstone - Newport News, VA
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    Well it didn't go exactly as planned.  The swarms were about 15' off the ground so I backed the tractor underneath in order to provide a working platform.
     My buddy came over to help, we had both boxes positioned below their respective swarms on the roof of the tractor just in case something went wrong, and it did.
     I carefully pruned the top limb swarm and knocked them into a box, perfect.  As I was preparing to get the second box in place my buddy pulled down on the limb which was rotten and broke it.
     The majority of them fell into the box but there were bees everywhere, I scooped them up with cardboard and dumped them in, hopefully we got the queen in there.

Leeroy Jenkins!

edited May 2020
    Options
    Well it didn't go exactly as planned.  The swarms were about 15' off the ground so I backed the tractor underneath in order to provide a working platform.
     My buddy came over to help, we had both boxes positioned below their respective swarms on the roof of the tractor just in case something went wrong, and it did.
     I carefully pruned the top limb swarm and knocked them into a box, perfect.  As I was preparing to get the second box in place my buddy pulled down on the limb which was rotten and broke it.
     The majority of them fell into the box but there were bees everywhere, I scooped them up with cardboard and dumped them in, hopefully we got the queen in there.

Hope you got the queen(s). That's a great score!
    Xl bge ,LG bge, two 4' crusher cone fire pits. Weber Genisis gasser and 
    Two rusty Weber kettles. 

Two Rivers Farm
    Moncure N.C.
  • alaskanassasin
    alaskanassasin Posts: 7,649
    Options
    @frazzdaddy yes sir $250 worth of bees
    South of Columbus, Ohio.

• lkapigian
    lkapigian Posts: 10,760
    Options
    From our local paper today

Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • ColbyLang
    ColbyLang Posts: 3,420
    Options

You got bigger/more balls than me. Nicely done!
  • thetrim
    Options
    ColbyLang said:
    What could possibly go wrong taking a flame thrower to a couple of nests in a tree?  

I would've made a fire underneath, invited @nolaegghead and @DMW over, and given them each a big bottle of oil....
    XL 6/06, Mini 6/12, L 10/12, Mini #2 12/14 MiniMax 3/16 Large #2 11/20 Legacy from my FIL - RIP
    Tampa Bay, FL
    EIB 6 Oct 95
  • alaskanassasin
    alaskanassasin Posts: 7,649
    Options
     Swarms are non aggressive. 
    South of Columbus, Ohio.

• Botch
    Options
    Still had a cup or so of red chile but was tired of enchiladas.  Pulled another "mystery package" out of the freezer last night, was pretty sure it was half-pound or so of ground pork.  Unwrapped it this morning, and it was leftover brisket, already cut into 3/8" cubes.  Texas chili!  Had some leftover jack cheese to top it with, and tomorrow I can add some beans for a couple bowls of "that-ain't-chili!"  
    I've only got a few mystery packages still in my freezer, and they get scarier the further back I go.  Will be glad to get that all cleaned out.  

Then I can start hoarding like everyone else!   =)

• ColtsFan
    ColtsFan Posts: 6,340
    Options
    Cursing FedEx. Had a package shown as delivered. Looked at the garage doors, where they normally put it...nope. I have Ring cams and doorbells covering both front and back of the house...No action there. Finally check the driveway cam and the idiot stops about halfway down the 250' driveway and leaves it there. lol
    ~ John - https://www.instagram.com/hoosier_egger
    XL BGE, LG BGE, KJ Jr, PK Original, Ardore Pizza Oven, King Disc 
    Bloomington, IN - Hoo Hoo Hoo Hoosiers!

• thetrim
    Options
    You just fed @lousubcap
    Tampa Bay, FL
    EIB 6 Oct 95
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,341
    Options
    I'm not gonna mess with this thread but solid performance and to be expected right there- @ColtsFan.  Posting about shipping companies around here is worse than politics or religion in the eyes of the Buffalo.  FWIW-
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.