Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

What Will You Be Egging During the Coronapocalypse?

Options

Comments

• Gulfcoastguy
    Gulfcoastguy Posts: 6,312
    Options
    Second hand Egging. I will make lentil stew using: onion Rotel, a meaty Boston Butt bone, maybe carrots, maybe fresh collards, various spices.
  • SciAggie
    SciAggie Posts: 6,481
    Options
    @The Cen-Tex Smoker Those chickpeas look delicious. Recipe?
    Coleman, Texas
    Large BGE & Mini Max for the wok. A few old camp Dutch ovens and a wood fired oven. LSG 24” cabinet offset smoker. There are a few paella pans and a Patagonia cross in the barn. A curing chamber for bacterial transformation of meats...
    "Bourbon slushies. Sure you can cook on the BGE without them, but why would you?"
                                                                                                                          YukonRon
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    SciAggie said:
    @The Cen-Tex Smoker Those chickpeas look delicious. Recipe?
    They were incredible. Janell’s recipe. I’ll get it and post. They are a meal unto themselves. 
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • BigreenGreg
    BigreenGreg Posts: 581
    Options
    That’s some high level chicken right there, looks delicious.
    LBGE, 36" Blackstone, Anova Pro
    Charleston, SC
  • Wolfpack
    Wolfpack Posts: 3,551
    Options
    Just put some ribs in the tub for @JohnInCarolina 18 hour sous vide special. 

About the only way I do them now. 
    Greensboro, NC
  • thetrim
    thetrim Posts: 11,357
    Options
    Had too many burger, so I did some on the Blackstone and some on the egg. 

=======================================
    XL 6/06, Mini 6/12, L 10/12, Mini #2 12/14 MiniMax 3/16 Large #2 11/20 Legacy from my FIL - RIP
    Tampa Bay, FL
    EIB 6 Oct 95
  • CPFC1905
    CPFC1905 Posts: 1,868
    Options
    thetrim said:
    Had too many burger, so I did some on the Blackstone and some on the egg. 

'too many burgers'  -  not sure that's even a thing?  =)
    Other girls may try to take me away 
    But you know, it's by your side I will stay
  • GrateEggspectations
    Options
    Got some of this goin’ on.....

• Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,496
    edited April 2020
    Options
    Today, 
    1) I cooked my very first Wagyu (SRF)
    2) did my very first reverse-sear
    3) did my first "civilized" caveman
    4) and burned the hair off my hand/forearm, for the first time.  

I salted it and wrapped tightly in plastic wrap, let it sit in the frig that way for two hours.  Smobot got the Large up to 250º, layed it in and set my timer for ten minutes.  
    Thermapenned it in ten, and it was already up to 120º!!  I had been planning on pulling it at 115º; so I quick pulled it, and set the steak aside to cool.  

Set up the "civilized" caveman, which someone here suggest several years ago and I always wanted to try.  I pulled the grate and the platesetter, removed the Smobot and set the egg wide-open, and then dropped the CI grate from my Small directly onto the coals in the Large.  It just barely cleared the handles of my KickAsh, but it did.  Once the Egg hit 500º I dropped the steak back in, counted to 60, and reached in to flip it.  That's when I lost the hair on my arm, the fire flared when the fresh air hit it (knock on wood, I've never had a flashback).  I decided, since it was plenty warm already, to only sear the bottom side for 20 more seconds, and pulled it.  Plated with white rice and green beans (sorry, no pic).

Was cooked perfectly, easily the juiciest steak I've made and one of the most tender.  It did taste just a bit... old, like I should've cooked it two days ago.  It was a new item at my grocer, maybe buying that expen$ive of a cut, during a pandemic, when half the locals have lost their jobs, wasn't the best thing to do.  

Am definitely sold on reverse-sear, and will probably do the civilized caveman again, but I need a set of longer tongs....  =)

EDIT: Bet a raspberry crème brulè cheesecase would've been the perfect dessert!  

Tin soldiers and Johnson's coming...

• JohnInCarolina
    JohnInCarolina Posts: 30,996
    Options
    Got some of this goin’ on.....

Whoa.  I think I am going to want to hear how this comes out!
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • GrateEggspectations
    GrateEggspectations Posts: 9,328
    edited April 2020
    Options
    Botch said:
    Today, 

I salted it and wrapped tightly in plastic wrap, let it sit in the frig that way for two hours.  Smobot got the Large up to 250º, layed it in and set my timer for ten minutes.  
    Thermapenned it in ten, and it was already up to 120º!!  I had been planning on pulling it at 115º; so I quick pulled it, and set the steak aside to cool.  

Set up the "civilized" caveman, which someone here suggest several years ago and I always wanted to try.  I pulled the grate and the platesetter, removed the Smobot and set the egg wide-open, and then dropped the CI grate from my Small directly onto the coals in the Large.  It just barely cleared the handles of my KickAsh, but it did.  Once the Egg hit 500º I dropped the steak back in, counted to 60, and reached in to flip it.  That's when I lost the hair on my arm, the fire flared when the fresh air hit it (knock on wood, I've never had a flashback).  I decided, since it was plenty warm already, to only sear the bottom side for 20 more seconds, and pulled it.  Plated with white rice and green beans (sorry, no pic).

Was cooked perfectly, easily the juiciest steak I've made and one of the most tender.  It did taste just a bit... old, like I should've cooked it two days ago.  It was a new item at my grocer, maybe buying that expen$ive of a cut, during a pandemic, when half the locals have lost their jobs, wasn't the best thing to do.  

Am definitely sold on reverse-sear, and will probably do the civilized caveman again, but I need a set of longer tongs....  =)

Sounds like good eats, Botch. Tell us more about this plastic wrap shenanigans. 

Re: longer tongs - It seems as though a man will always feel that his tool is not long enough. 
  • GrateEggspectations
    Options
    Lunch time today. Got creative. Canned chicken with diced cornichons, celery, mayo, Greek yoghurt, curry powder, dressed spring mix, S&P and homemade blueberry mango jam (trust me) on a toasted whole wheat bun. Served with a side of sour cream and onion chips. There’s a reason my waistline is expanding. 

• Gulfcoastguy
    Gulfcoastguy Posts: 6,312
    Options
    Probably a turkey breast tomorrow. Mickey’s Coffee Rub I think, its never let me down.
  • Botch
    Options
    GrateEggspectations said:
    Recently I've been tightly wrapping my beef, pork, and skinless chicken after its been salted.  Thought process being, the salt draws moisture to the surface, which will evaporate if in the dry environment of the frig.  This is what you want for chicken skin; the other proteins, I'm thinking not so much.  Having the moisture come to the surface, dissolve the salt, and then sink back into the meat would more mimic brining, without the huge container issues.  
    I've not done a side-by-side to actually test this theory.  Stay tuned.   ;)

• lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,432
    Options
    @Botch - Living the high-life.  I can say I have never nailed that many virgins in one day in my life!   B)   Access to SRF in a local market is a great deal.  
    I am all in with dry brining a steak before cooking and don't wrap but if it works for you...
    Next time score another virgin and go full-monty caveman   =)
    Stay healthy, stay safe.  

Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,206
    Options
    Wings didn’t happen here tonight. Didn’t bother with pics. 
  • Botch
    Options
    lousubcap said:
    @Botch - Access to SRF in a local market is a great deal.  

I'm not so sure.  As I mentioned, the meat tasted a bit "old".  I dug the package out of the trash, it had a sell-by date of 4 April, tomorrow, so I should've been good (although, grocer's package, not SRF).    
    Yet, this was not a good afternoon.  Had a terrible aftertaste in my mouth the whole time, and a slight fever for awhile (classic food poisoning flags, for me).  By 5 I felt a lot better, and the aftertaste was, fortunately, alcohol-soluble, so I think I'm okay now.  
    Gonna lay off any steaks for awhile, but that's okay.   :|  

• GrateEggspectations
    Options
    Botch said:
    GrateEggspectations said:
    Recently I've been tightly wrapping my beef, pork, and skinless chicken after its been salted.  Thought process being, the salt draws moisture to the surface, which will evaporate if in the dry environment of the frig.  This is what you want for chicken skin; the other proteins, I'm thinking not so much.  Having the moisture come to the surface, dissolve the salt, and then sink back into the meat would more mimic brining, without the huge container issues.  
    I've not done a side-by-side to actually test this theory.  Stay tuned.   ;)
    Thanks for the explanation, and looking forward to the conclusions. 

Guess your eventual findings may support the old adage that wrapping one’s meat is always a wise decision. 
  • U_tarded
    U_tarded Posts: 2,042
    Options
    @Botch Harmon’s?  I’ve gotten their SRF before but honestly I like their dry aged offerings more. 
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    The Cen-Tex Smoker Posts: 22,970
    edited April 2020
    Options
    Botch said:
    Today, 

once you get to the sear, leave the dome open. You aren’t trying to cook it any more and dome open gives you the 1600 degree lump and you don’t have to worry about opening the dome with a ripping hot fire. You can literally burn the outside of a steak with the middle still raw with the dome open. 

Love the “civilized caveman” moniker. I use that setup all the time and really like it. It has a name now. 

Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • Botch
    Options
    U_tarded said:
    @Botch Harmon’s?  I’ve gotten their SRF before but honestly I like their dry aged offerings more. 
    I haven't seen those, thanks for the tip.  
    Will look for them once/if we get through this virus thingie.