Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

OT-What are you buying right now?

Comments

• ColtsFan
    ColtsFan Posts: 6,310
    I have a ton of craftsman (USA made) sockets and such. I also have a lot of other brands of tools, even harbor freight stuff. Hard to see a whole lot of difference in things, but I am not a pro mechanic. I understand snap on is the best knees, but also stupid expensive. 
    Stanley tool makes a lot of it. Carlisle, Blackhawk, and Mac are all made by Stanley. 
    ~ John - https://www.instagram.com/hoosier_egger
    XL BGE, LG BGE, KJ Jr, PK Original, Ardore Pizza Oven, King Disc 
    Bloomington, IN - Hoo Hoo Hoo Hoosiers!

• craftsman is owned by stanley now
    South of Columbus, Ohio.

• 1911Man
    1911Man Posts: 366
    Just ordered some wood chunks...
    http://www.mainegrillingwoods.com/chunks-two-pack-jumbo-poly.html
    Getting one bag of black cherry and one of sugar maple. I have enough left for another cook. Might not smoke over the weekend, but better to order now and have it just in case. Oh, and I picked the ground shipping option because:

Kind of a 'no-brainer'... Especially since I'll probably see it Wednesday. 
    Large BGE with CGS Woo Ring, stone with stainless pan, Smokeware chimney cap, Kick Ash basket and Kick Ash can.
    Living free in the 603 (Pelham).
  • 1911Man
    craftsman is owned by stanley now
    When did they take it over?? Is that everything or just hand tools?? 
    Large BGE with CGS Woo Ring, stone with stainless pan, Smokeware chimney cap, Kick Ash basket and Kick Ash can.
  • alaskanassasin
    alaskanassasin Posts: 7,597
    edited February 2020
    A couple years ago that’s why they are in Lowe’s now, Sears sold it off to try and save the ship from sinking
    South of Columbus, Ohio.

• 1911Man
    A couple years ago that’s why they are in Lowe’s now, Sears sold it off to try and save the ship from sinking
    Ah... Makes sense for the time frame (and from I recall for the tools showing up in Lowe's). I have no issue with the older hand tools I have by Craftsman. But the machinery I had owned over the past several years (made after they were on the decline) earned the name "Crapsman". IMO, there are enough good quality hand tools out there these days, with solid warranties, for people working on small projects, or tinkering. Especially if you don't have the budget for true professional level hand tools. 
  • billt01
    billt01 Posts: 1,523
    "trying" to purchase this...
    Have:
     XLBGE / Stumps Baby XL / Couple of Stokers (Gen 1 and Gen 3) / Blackstone 36 / Maxey 3x5 water pan hog cooker
    Had:
    LBGE / Lang 60D / Cookshack SM150 / Stumps Stretch / Stumps Baby

Fat Willies BBQ
    Ola, Ga

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,657
    Botch said:
    dmourati said:
    Same.
    One thing I'm embarrassed to say I didn't know until recently was the differences between standard phillips screws and JIS phillips identified by a dot.

If you don't know of them, this information will help you from mangling these screws. 

https://www.motorcycle.com/ask-mo-anything/difference-between-japanese-jis-phillips.html
    Just learned this myself a couple years ago.  Fortunately I traded my Yamaha bike for a BMW before I bought a bunch of JIS drivers, so I could use the money for... Torx drivers.   :|

damn british truck has a special torque screw to lock in the battery, bigger pin size than the standard security torque. nothing the saw and chisel couldnt fix
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • JohnEggGio
    JohnEggGio Posts: 1,430
    craftsman is owned by stanley now
    We folks in and around Towson, Md prefer “Stanley Black & Decker”...  My dear ole grandma went to school with Alonzo Decker.

Funny little story - in the 1980s my grandma was living in West Palm Beach.  Around the corner from her, Black & Decker was opening a storefront service center.  Well, she was keeping an eye out for the grand opening - one day she asked me, “Do you think Tubby Decker will be there?”  I couldn’t help letting out a small laugh, and said, “Grandma, it’s a very large company - no way he’ll be here for this.”

A couple of days later I got the phone # of B&D HQ up in Towson and got ahold of someone in the executive suite.  Alonzo “Tubby” Decker, although retired at that point, did maintain an office there and did spend time there weekly.  So, I wrote a letter to Mr. Decker, relaying the whole story.  Sure enough, a short time later, I got a letter in return, “Dear John, thank you for you note.  It’s been many years since anyone has called me Tubby.  Give my best to Libby.”
    Maryland, 1 LBGE
  • Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,427
    Heh, the only reason I went into a Sears brick-n-mortar was for a Craftsman item.... 

"I mean, I don't just kill guys, I'm notorious for doing in houseplants."  - Maggie, Northern Exposure

• Just picked up a set of tow dollies for the winter's project - a '75 Dodge Power Wagon wrecker.
    Glencoe, Minnesota
  • alaskanassasin
    alaskanassasin Posts: 7,597
    edited February 2020
    Botch said:
    Heh, the only reason I went into a Sears brick-n-mortar was for a Craftsman item.... 
     Me too, like they mentioned above I would toss a broken tool in the bucket and grab a new one off the shelf. Now it’s hard to find a Sears. That whole situation is a mess, why would they buy Kmart? Box stores are failing left and right including yours, what justification would you have to buy another sinking ship. Beyond logic. 
    South of Columbus, Ohio.

• new tires it looks like. Unrepairable nail in the sidewalk of one. The tires have 54000 miles, too many to just buy a pair in my opinion. The dealer said that otherwise I could have gotten another 20,000 miles plus on them.
  • frazzdaddy
    frazzdaddy Posts: 2,617
    edited February 2020
    I have a ton of craftsman (USA made) sockets and such. I also have a lot of other brands of tools, even harbor freight stuff. Hard to see a whole lot of difference in things, but I am not a pro mechanic. I understand snap on is the best knees, but also stupid expensive. 
    I spent a lifetime with professional  hand tools. I still have some of my original Craftsman. I learned early on that it was about comfort and precision. The Craftsman stuff worked fine, just not what you wanted to use all day. Tighter gearing in the ratchets make a big difference in tight spaces. Flank Drive on the box ends wont round the bolt heads. My main tool box is all Snap On and I still have my original 1/4 inch drive set (circa 1976) Lot's and Lot's of $$$ though. 
    Xl bge ,LG bge, two 4' crusher cone fire pits. Weber Genisis gasser and 
    Two rusty Weber kettles. 

Two Rivers Farm
    Moncure N.C.
  • kl8ton
    kl8ton Posts: 5,410

I guess that makes me a victim.  I've been in the van many times. 
    Large, Medium, MiniMax, & 22, and 36" Blackstone
    Grand Rapids MI
  • bucky925
    bucky925 Posts: 2,029
    edited February 2020
    The rail carrier I retired from bought our tools.  Only 3 brands were allowed, craftsman, snap on and one other.  They would do locker checks to make sure we had no "banned" tools".  Most of the guys would lock up when they came around but not me.  I left mine wide open.  At times they would take tools out and start to question me of the origin and I would tell them HEY you bought them I didn't.  I would get new replacements in a week or two. 

Once they bought two of us  VERY nice blue point sets to take on road repair trips.  Back then it was a 300-500 $ set.  On a locker check they told me this was not allowed and to throw it in the dumpster which I did right away.  I got them out on my way home at the end of my shift and still use them today  =) .   I really am bummed I didn't get my snap on ratchet wrenches before I left. 

My point is if I'm not paying I would prefer the snap on and blue point over craftsman but they all worked. 

Be careful when following the masses. Sometimes the M is silent.

• frazzdaddy
    kl8ton said:

I guess that makes me a victim.  I've been in the van many times. 
    Yeah, true I guess but they made me a lot of $$
    Two rusty Weber kettles. 

Two Rivers Farm
    Moncure N.C.
  • ColtsFan
    ColtsFan Posts: 6,310
    I spent a lifetime with professional  hand tools. I still have some of my original Craftsman. I learned early on that it was about comfort and precision. The Craftsman stuff worked fine, just not what you wanted to use all day. Tighter gearing in the ratchets make a big difference in tight spaces. Flank Drive on the box ends wont round the bolt heads. My main tool box is all Snap On and I still have my original 1/4 inch drive set (circa 1976) Lot's and Lot's of $$$ though. 
    My absolute favorite ratchet is my Snap On 1/4 swivel head. I've had it for 20 years and it's still as smooth as buttah
    ~ John - https://www.instagram.com/hoosier_egger
    XL BGE, LG BGE, KJ Jr, PK Original, Ardore Pizza Oven, King Disc 
    Bloomington, IN - Hoo Hoo Hoo Hoosiers!

• rifrench
    rifrench Posts: 469
    I started buying and using  Snap-On tools in 1968.  I still use the original tools, save a few that were worn out, or broken.  I added to them through the years and up sized roller cabinets and chests several times.
     1 LBGE, 1 SBGE, 1 KBQ and a 26" Blackstone near Blackstone, Virginia
  • frazzdaddy
    ColtsFan said:
    My absolute favorite ratchet is my Snap On 1/4 swivel head. I've had it for 20 years and it's still as smooth as buttah
    That would be the circa 1976 set I was referring to. Most used ratchet in my arsenal. One gearset and 1 pin in all those years.
    Two rusty Weber kettles. 

Two Rivers Farm
    Moncure N.C.
  • frazzdaddy
    edited February 2020
    rifrench said:
    I started buying and using  Snap-On tools in 1968.  I still use the original tools, save a few that were worn out, or broken.  I added to them through the years and up sized roller cabinets and chests several times.
    My last set of Snap On chests were as big as some of the cars. It becomes an addiction lol.
    Two rusty Weber kettles. 

Two Rivers Farm
    Moncure N.C.
  • 1/4" ratchet has been retired since I started farming...
    South of Columbus, Ohio.

• I am more into cutting torches, air hammer, welders, mostly torches
    South of Columbus, Ohio.

• TN_Egger
    TN_Egger Posts: 1,120
    I'm having a hard time deciding what to buy tonight from Charleston.
    Signal Mountain, TN
  • Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,427
    rifrench said:
    My last four years I worked for the Maintenance Support Group, and one shop that I walked past every morning and evening would always collect beat-up Snap-On chests/roller cabinets, wrap them in plastic and ship off to DRMO, and then open palletloads of new Snap-On cabinets, load them onto trucks, and distribute them to different shops.  
    Talk about a candy store.... 

"I mean, I don't just kill guys, I'm notorious for doing in houseplants."  - Maggie, Northern Exposure

• We pulled one of the auto shop sized Snap On rolling tool chests out of a box culvert after Katrina. We used an electric winch and a tree for a block and tackle in order to get the angle right. Unfortunately it seemed that some one had just settled for emptying all of the drawers. The tools would have probably been corroded, salt water you know.
  • Wolfpack
    Wolfpack Posts: 3,551
    @Botch the GBSD should be awarded around September- ready to come back to work yet? 

Got some calls today to discuss phenolic ablatives for the program.  Nothing like a 50 year annuity...

Greensboro, NC