Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

OT-What are you buying right now?

Options

Comments

• DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,186
    Options
    Acn said:
    So I’m not buying it now, but this has my name on it.  I’ll pick it up this weekend.

Congrats! 
  • Wolfpack
    Wolfpack Posts: 3,551
    Options
    @Acn

SCORE!!!!
    Greensboro, NC
  • dgordon2nc
    Options

19 helical piers 
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,385
    edited February 2020
    Options
    @Acn Better to be lucky than good any day.  I have had (bought) the PVW offerings thru the 20 year and found the 15 to be my favorite.  I don't know who you know or who you ...but congrats!
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • pgprescott
    pgprescott Posts: 14,544
    Options
    @Acn don’t forget I’ve got a partial bottle of that Pikesville I could trade? 😂 

enjoy. 
  • ColtsFan
    ColtsFan Posts: 6,345
    Options

19 helical piers 
    Been there done that about 6 years ago at the condo. 22k back then, I feel for you.

We had a Karst feature form about 25 ft away and things started sloping that way. Luckily the limestone bedrock is substantial around here
    ~ John - https://www.instagram.com/hoosier_egger
    XL BGE, LG BGE, KJ Jr, PK Original, Ardore Pizza Oven, King Disc 
    Bloomington, IN - Hoo Hoo Hoo Hoosiers!

• dgordon2nc
    Options
    It was actually about 19k so not too bad considering the scope of the work. Fortunately I was referred to someone at the last minute before signing a contract with a much more expensive company. After a lot of due diligence I’m very happy with the work 
  • DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,186
    Options
    ColtsFan said:
    19 helical piers 
    Been there done that about 6 years ago at the condo. 22k back then, I feel for you.

We had a Karst feature form about 25 ft away and things started sloping that way. Luckily the limestone bedrock is substantial around here
    Learned something new today 
    https://igws.indiana.edu/Bedrock/Karst

• Gulfcoastguy
    Options

19 helical piers 
    To fix the house foundation or for an addition?
  • dgordon2nc
    Options

19 helical piers 
    I wish it was for an addition!  It’s to fix foundation issues unfortunately 
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    Options
    @Botch I have that same one. Bought it after 2 cheaper ones went tits up in 5 years. Could never toast both sides of bread evenly. 

The Breville  is really a mini oven. A 9.5” x 13” sheet pan fits perfectly. We use it for all kinds of things, like roasting veg for sides. You can fit a whole chicken in there. The Big Clock is used even less since we got it. 

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • speed51133
    Options
    I just picked up antibiotics myself....
    XL BGE and Kamado Joe Jr.
  • GATraveller
    GATraveller Posts: 8,207
    Options
    Braces for the twins.

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community [...] but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots."

-Umberto Eco

2 Large
    Peachtree Corners, GA
  • SonVolt
    SonVolt Posts: 3,314
    Options

19 helical piers 

Will Sink Hole insurance cover something like this? I added that to my policy a few years back just in case. 
    South of Nashville  -  BGE XL  -  Alfresco 42" ALXE  -  Alfresco Versa Burner  - Sunbeam Microwave 
  • dgordon2nc
    Options
    SonVolt said:

19 helical piers 

Will Sink Hole insurance cover something like this? I added that to my policy a few years back just in case. 
    I don’t think so as this is just natural due to the clay soil we have around here and how it expands in the winter time and contracts in the summer.  And poor construction. I wish insurance covered it.
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    SonVolt said:

19 helical piers 

I don’t think so as this is just natural due to the clay soil we have around here and how it expands in the winter time and contracts in the summer.  And poor construction. I wish insurance covered it.

https://www.usinsuranceonline.com/home-insurance/policy-types/foundation-insurance

Steel gun targets 

2 LBGE, Blackstone 36, Jumbo Joe

Egging in Southern Illinois (Marion)

• 1911Man
    1911Man Posts: 366
    Options
    Just ordered up some more end mills (1/2" and 1/4") plus some 'cool blocks' for the new to me band saw. Also ordered a milling vise stop (for piece positioning). Friday ETA for all of it. 
    Large BGE with CGS Woo Ring, stone with stainless pan, Smokeware chimney cap, Kick Ash basket and Kick Ash can.
    Living free in the 603 (Pelham).
  • Gulfcoastguy
    Options
    SonVolt said:

19 helical piers 

We have that sort of clay in a broad area around our state capital. Yazoo clay it is called or highly expansive clay. It swells with extra water and shrinks when it dries up. Most successful houses are built above ground with piling foundations or they float on a rigid concrete foundation that looks like a waffle from underneath. I don't know how to deal with a basement unless you excavate several feet to the sides of the basement and underneath the basement using a sandier soil for backfill and drain lines.
  • nolaegghead
    Options
    Foundation soil physical properties should be enforced by building codes or you get legions of property owners dealing with expensive property damage in perpetuity.   I've seen this in San Antonio and here , last two places I've lived.  My mom spent a fortune on her slab house until she sold it.
    Yep, my soils professor back in university made a killing doing expert witness testimony in legal cases about this problem. Most single family buildings do not have foundations designed by an engineer. Nor, in most cases, were soil borings to obtain the needed information done.
     I've built buildings for the government and you wouldn't believe the extra effort devoted to foundations, walls, and roof. I built a rest area in Wiggins once early in the 2000's. In case you get by a hurricane and can't evacuate further, ride it out in the men's room or the ladies room. No windows, walls are brick exterior with concrete filled masonry block with reinforcing steel run from the foundation to the roof. The roof had thick plywood covered completely by peel and stick underlayment, then covered with commercial grade standing seam metal roofing. I inspected and tested every item that went into building it. 
  • nolaegghead
    Options
    Yep, my soils professor back in university made a killing doing expert witness testimony in legal cases about this problem. Most single family buildings do not have foundations designed by an engineer. Nor, in most cases, were soil borings to obtain the needed information done.
     I've built buildings for the government and you wouldn't believe the extra effort devoted to foundations, walls, and roof. I built a rest area in Wiggins once early in the 2000's. In case you get by a hurricane and can't evacuate further, ride it out in the men's room or the ladies room. No windows, walls are brick exterior with concrete filled masonry block with reinforcing steel run from the foundation to the roof. The roof had thick plywood covered completely by peel and stick underlayment, then covered with commercial grade standing seam metal roofing. I inspected and tested every item that went into building it. 
    Good advice, thanks. 

Obviously we have a serious problem if soil characterization is not integrated into single family dwelling homes.  I'm not suggesting testing each site insofar as a good first step would be applying existing geological survey data to permitting. But the cost of actual testing would save money if there is any question about the foundation soil.
    Options
    1911Man said:
    1000' of cat6 cable

In the hunt for a PoE video surveillance system.
    Why not cat7???  =)

Because I don't need 40 Gbit/sec and I already have the male connectors for cat 5e/6, and I can terminate one of those cables in about 2 minutes.
    568/A or 568/B or go old school, USOC

For the record, Cat5E will meet your needs and a hell of a lot easier to terminate..

TWO MINUTES!!!!.... rookie...
    Have:
     XLBGE / Stumps Baby XL / Couple of Stokers (Gen 1 and Gen 3) / Blackstone 36 / Maxey 3x5 water pan hog cooker
    Had:
    LBGE / Lang 60D / Cookshack SM150 / Stumps Stretch / Stumps Baby

Fat Willies BBQ
    Ola, Ga

• dgordon2nc
    Options
    SonVolt said:

19 helical piers 

https://www.usinsuranceonline.com/home-insurance/policy-types/foundation-insurance

Now you tell me!
  • nolaegghead
    Options
    This is a great pepper grinder.  Ceramic mill.
    Options
  • milesvdustin
    Options
    Glock g34 gen5 MOS. Had to order it, I get it next week 

2 LBGE, Blackstone 36, Jumbo Joe

Egging in Southern Illinois (Marion)

• lkapigian
    lkapigian Posts: 10,767
    Options
    Going down the fermented sausage rabbit hole, picked up a couple mini fridges on sale so I can have one ferment ant one cure chamber, both fridges can go either way, will be outfitting them next week

Visalia, Ca @lkapigian