Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

OT-What are you buying right now?

Options

Comments

• HeavyG
    HeavyG Posts: 10,350
    Options
    lousubcap said:
    Just scored tix to the June 14 Stones concert in Louisville.  Even more pricy than Duke basketball tix and not nearly as close to the action  B)  
    Will you still be able to see the defibrillators? 

LOL
    Just thinking that Mick Jagger, as a mid 70 year old, is still strutting/singing "My Generation" cracks me up for some reason.
    "I hope I die before I get old..."
    “Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• TN_Egger
    TN_Egger Posts: 1,120
    Options
    Wow!  @Eoin gave you his wood?  What a guy!  B)
    Signal Mountain, TN
  • Acn
    Acn Posts: 4,424
    Options
    HeavyG said:
    lousubcap said:
    Just scored tix to the June 14 Stones concert in Louisville.  Even more pricy than Duke basketball tix and not nearly as close to the action  B)  

LOL
    Just thinking that Mick Jagger, as a mid 70 year old, is still strutting/singing "My Generation" cracks me up for some reason.
    Do the Stones do a lot of Who covers?

LBGE

Pikesville, MD

• rifrench
    rifrench Posts: 469
    Options
    rifrench said:
    Thinking about a Tikka T3x left hand, can't decide on 6.5x55, or 6.5 Creedmoor.  I favor older things, got to get off the fence before July.  Our blue governor and his blue legislature is putting the kibosh on our "assault rifles", need to move forward...
    It may be newer but the price of 6.5 Creedmore is definitely cheaper. The ballistics are close at least in factory loading.

I have studied this thing to death, lol. All good reasons point to the Creedmoor, then on the other hand I don't shoot at animals 800 yards away.   200 yards is a long shot where I do my hunting, easily handled by my 300 Savage Model 99.  I just want, not need another rifle!
     1 LBGE, 1 SBGE, 1 KBQ and a 26" Blackstone near Blackstone, Virginia
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,396
    Options
    Remember, "Life is not based on need alone."
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Gulfcoastguy
    Options
    rifrench said:
    rifrench said:
    Thinking about a Tikka T3x left hand, can't decide on 6.5x55, or 6.5 Creedmoor.  I favor older things, got to get off the fence before July.  Our blue governor and his blue legislature is putting the kibosh on our "assault rifles", need to move forward...
    It may be newer but the price of 6.5 Creedmore is definitely cheaper. The ballistics are close at least in factory loading.

I have studied this thing to death, lol. All good reasons point to the Creedmoor, then on the other hand I don't shoot at animals 800 yards away.   200 yards is a long shot where I do my hunting, easily handled by my 300 Savage Model 99.  I just want, not need another rifle!
    Your game your toys. I don’t expect to use my 6.5 C at more than 300 and more likely at 100 or less. I originally thought 7 08 but it’s ammo is much pricier and harder to find. At almost 60 I am also a bit recoil sensitive.
  • HeavyG
    HeavyG Posts: 10,350
    Options
    Acn said:
    HeavyG said:
    lousubcap said:

LOL
    Do the Stones do a lot of Who covers?

LOL...Oooops!
    A decade or so ago some friends were talking about how funny it was that some of the bands of our youth were still performing well into "geezer-dom".
    Not sure why I conflated that song with Jagger. Brain fart. Thanks for catching that!
    “Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• ColbyLang
    ColbyLang Posts: 3,433
    Options
    rifrench said:
    rifrench said:

Your game your toys. I don’t expect to use my 6.5 C at more than 300 and more likely at 100 or less. I originally thought 7 08 but it’s ammo is much pricier and harder to find. At almost 60 I am also a bit recoil sensitive.
    Shot my 6.5 a couple of weeks ago. Loving it.whatever you buy, put a brake on it. Reduces recoil tremendously. 5 shots at 100 in an AR-10 6.5 CM
  • rifrench
    rifrench Posts: 469
    Options
    With the blue curtain coming down on the Old Dominion, I am moving away from any AR platforms. Cost of factory load ammo is irrelevant, I hand load my ammunition. The older I get, the more interesting the older hunting calibers get. I get it about the Creedmoor, I do. I just can't seem to get on the train. 
     1 LBGE, 1 SBGE, 1 KBQ and a 26" Blackstone near Blackstone, Virginia
  • alaskanassasin
    Options
    @rifrench I like my uberti lever gun in colt 45. Also 45-70 is fun to reload, lots of options
    South of Columbus, Ohio.

• SciAggie
    SciAggie Posts: 6,481
    Options
    rifrench said:
    rifrench said:

I have enjoyed watching the rise of the 6.5
    I bought a 6.5x55 Swedish Mauser years ago that was almost new - for a pittance. The more I shot that old surplus rifle the more I liked it. I is accurate, has low recoil, and slays game like crazy. I once had some 160 grain Norma ammo. It would take down feral hogs like they were hit with a sledgehammer.
    Coleman, Texas
    Large BGE & Mini Max for the wok. A few old camp Dutch ovens and a wood fired oven. LSG 24” cabinet offset smoker. There are a few paella pans and a Patagonia cross in the barn. A curing chamber for bacterial transformation of meats...
    "Bourbon slushies. Sure you can cook on the BGE without them, but why would you?"
                                                                                                                          YukonRon
  • ColbyLang
    Options
    rifrench said:
    With the blue curtain coming down on the Old Dominion, I am moving away from any AR platforms. Cost of factory load ammo is irrelevant, I hand load my ammunition. The older I get, the more interesting the older hunting calibers get. I get it about the Creedmoor, I do. I just can't seem to get on the train. 
    I also hand load for my .280 Ackley Improved and my .308. I couldn’t justify the $600 between competition dies, brass, powder and projectiles to start reloading 6.5CM. Bought a case of Berger 135 grain Classic Hunters in Lapua brass for $1.30 a shot. Saving all my brass in the event I want to start reloading in the future 
  • alaskanassasin
    Options
    rifrench said:
    I never understood why the 308 became an old relic in the hunting community. It’s a flat shooting gem. 
    Is recoil the issue? Is there a lot less recoil with the 6.5CM? 
    South of Columbus, Ohio.

• ColbyLang
    Options
    rifrench said:
    I never understood why the 308 became an old relic in the hunting community. It’s a flat shooting gem. 
    Not really 
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
  • Gulfcoastguy
    Gulfcoastguy Posts: 6,305
    edited February 2020
    Options
    SciAggie said:
    rifrench said:
    rifrench said:

I have enjoyed watching the rise of the 6.5
    I bought a 6.5x55 Swedish Mauser years ago that was almost new - for a pittance. The more I shot that old surplus rifle the more I liked it. I is accurate, has low recoil, and slays game like crazy. I once had some 160 grain Norma ammo. It would take down feral hogs like they were hit with a sledgehammer.
    There is a guy on ewetube who hunts hogs using 160 grain round nose in his 6.5 CR. I plan to stick to 140 grain though , it should do the trick and is commonly available. Hogs are actually just as likely as deer in the swamps around here.
  • Gulfcoastguy
    Options
    rifrench said:
    About half the recoil or a touch more. Creedmore also shoots flatter at long distance which doesn't really apply in my swamps and pine Savannah's. Besides that I can be a bit contrary in my choices. If I was 30 years younger and a prepper you can bet that I would have a 308.
  • speed51133
    speed51133 Posts: 691
    edited February 2020
    Options
    A $300 teak laundry hamper. Annoyed to spend so much, but everything I find is cheap flimsy plastic, wicker crap, or impractically small. Sick of finding my wife's dirty clothes all over the place.
    https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0044SVQ5C/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
    XL BGE and Kamado Joe Jr.
  • GrateEggspectations
    Options
    I feel like this thread could have just as easily been entitled “what are you shooting right now?”
  • DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,188
    edited February 2020
    Options
    rifrench said:
    About half the recoil or a touch more. Creedmore also shoots flatter at long distance which doesn't really apply in my swamps and pine Savannah's. Besides that I can be a bit contrary in my choices. If I was 30 years younger and a prepper you can bet that I would have a 308.
    Recoil shouldn’t be an issue with big game hunters. The adrenaline is pumping and you don’t notice the recoil for a single shot. Recoil issues are for range shooting and bird hunting. 
  • 1911Man
    1911Man Posts: 366
    Options
    Eyeballing a new Kurt DX6 vise. Depending on if I can get my Shars vise full trammed to the spindle of my mill over the weekend, or not. At that point, I'll have to decide what to do with the two vises I have now (a 4" with a rotating base, and the 6"x7.7" Shars).
    Large BGE with CGS Woo Ring, stone with stainless pan, Smokeware chimney cap, Kick Ash basket and Kick Ash can.
    Living free in the 603 (Pelham).
  • Lit
    Lit Posts: 9,053
    Options
    Botch said:
    Went to Home Despot this afternoon to pick up a Dining room light/ceiling fan to replace the chincy "chandelier" that's there now (for 24 years).  
    Saw this new setup:

The pic doesn't do them justice, the center columns look like ice with a lot of water bubbles inside, and feature a single, brighter LED that shines downward onto the table.  Dimmable.  
    In person, they were pretty stunning, and after a quick 6-minute stroll/brainstorming, I decided I didn't need a ceiling fan and I boughted these, <$200.  
    Installation photos to come.   :)   
    We have something similar they are nice. Found some matching ones for the downstairs bathroom as well. They look pretty good installed. 
  • Kayak
    Kayak Posts: 700
    Options
    @botch who wants a fan over their dining table anyway? I have to say, I've bought my last box store fixtures. Never again. Too many of them broke over the years.

Bob

New Cumberland, PA
    XL with the usual accessories

• speed51133
    Options
    Well you need something to collect all the dust and grease above the dining table!
    XL BGE and Kamado Joe Jr.
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    cool down hot food....
    Trying to decide between new Glock or an old lincoln idealarc 250 welder...... 

2 LBGE, Blackstone 36, Jumbo Joe

Egging in Southern Illinois (Marion)