Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Article: "The best barbecue joint in every state, according to Yelp"

Options
Results are subjective in nature given this is Yelp.  I found it interesting to read and see how many places I recognized.

Wrights in Arkansas is one I fully agree with.  They are in my top 5 for bbq from anywhere.

LBGE, LBGE-PTR, 22" Weber, Coleman 413G
Great Plains, USA

Comments

• speed51133
    Options
    I call shenanigans. In Wisconsin they list Ono Kine Grindz in Wauwatosa. I have been living a few miles from Wauwatosa for almost 40 years and am a huge fan of eating out and BBQ. I never even heard of the place. Looking at the place using google street view, it is a convenience store that sells everything from shirts, snacks, canned drinks, and food on the side. There is a total of two or three tables in the "restaurant". It isn't even a BBQ place!

Ok, done ranting. Too bad they did not have any of my favorite BBQ places...I recommend Smoke Shack in Milwaukee.
    XL BGE and Kamado Joe Jr.
  • DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,171
    Options
    Never heard of the place in Georgia but it’s only a half hour away. It’s not on any “best of” list I’ve seen. I’ll swing by in the next few days so I can call bvllsh!t on it. 
  • WeberWho
    WeberWho Posts: 11,025
    Options
    Was I the only one saying, "Please don't be Famous Daves, please don't be Famous Daves until they found their state?
    "The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota
  • DoubleEgger
    Options
    @Lit what’s the story with Sock’s Love in Cumming? 
  • DoubleEgger
    edited February 2020
    Options
    WeberWho said:
    Was I the only one saying, "Please don't be Famous Daves, please don't be Famous Daves until they found their state?
    That would be Sonny’s or Dickies in the Deep South and Florida  
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,746
    Options
    only in maine would this be bbq =)

fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • WeberWho
    Options
    I call shenanigans. In Wisconsin they list Ono Kine Grindz in Wauwatosa. I have been living a few miles from Wauwatosa for almost 40 years and am a huge fan of eating out and BBQ. I never even heard of the place. Looking at the place using google street view, it is a convenience store that sells everything from shirts, snacks, canned drinks, and food on the side. There is a total of two or three tables in the "restaurant". It isn't even a BBQ place!

Ok, done ranting. Too bad they did not have any of my favorite BBQ places...I recommend Smoke Shack in Milwaukee.
    That's interesting about Smoke Shack in Milwaukee. The place smelled amazing and the atmosphere was really cool but the food I thought was average at best. All kinds of good reviews though. That's why I'll never leave a negative rating on any restaurant. Everyone's taste is different and what they like. They could have had an off day when I was there. I know how much it takes to run a business like that and they don't need some idiot like me telling them how to run and rate their business. Just my personal opinion though.

"The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota
  • TEXASBGE2018
    Options
    Kat's in Texas? Never heard of it and I don't think its even ranked in the Texas Monthly Top 50. But I can tell you Snow's and Franklin's have both been ranked best in the world by multiple credible publications and I and many on here can attest to both them and Valentina's being among the best bbq we have ever had. If this was rated by yelp "Users" I wouldn't trust it whatsoever. I've seen people rank pizza hut as the best pizza they've ever had on there.

Rockwall, Tx    LBGE, Minimax, 22" Blackstone, Pizza Party Bollore. Cast Iron Hoarder.

• Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,467
    Options
    But have you tried it?  Sometimes the best food is hidden away.
    The best New Mexican food in Albuquerque, when I was stationed there, was hidden away in a bowling alley, you actually had to walk thru the kitchen to get to the dining room.  They've expanded since then (was called Sadie's, iirc).  

Remember when teachers used to say 'You won't have a calculator everywhere you go'?  Well, we showed them.

• Botch
    Options
    If someone with a faster computer/net connection could tell me what won in Utard, would be appreciated.  (site hard-crashed mine twice)  

Remember when teachers used to say 'You won't have a calculator everywhere you go'?  Well, we showed them.

• TEXASBGE2018
    Options
    Botch said:
    If someone with a faster computer/net connection could tell me what won in Utard, would be appreciated.  (site hard-crashed mine twice)  

idk Barbeque in Tropic

Rockwall, Tx    LBGE, Minimax, 22" Blackstone, Pizza Party Bollore. Cast Iron Hoarder.

• lkapigian
    lkapigian Posts: 10,759
    Options
    Interesting, I'll be by Prunedale Ca tomorrow ,may give it a try
    Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    Options
    Botch said:
    @Botch It is Idk BBQ in Tropic. This may seem like a bad "Who's on first" joke. 

Who won in Utah?
    IDK ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
    Oh c'mon...just tell me. 

https://www.yelp.com/biz/idk-barbecue-tropic-2

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• 20stone
    20stone Posts: 1,961
    Options
    Kat's in Texas? Never heard of it and I don't think its even ranked in the Texas Monthly Top 50. But I can tell you Snow's and Franklin's have both been ranked best in the world by multiple credible publications and I and many on here can attest to both them and Valentina's being among the best bbq we have ever had. If this was rated by yelp "Users" I wouldn't trust it whatsoever. I've seen people rank pizza hut as the best pizza they've ever had on there.
    I have been effectively trolled by @Foghorn 's progeny with "...as good as Bill Miller's" before.  187 is the charge they almost gave me.
    (now only 16 stone)

Joule SV
    GE induction stove
    Gasser by the community pool (currently unavailable)
    Scale (which one of my friends refuses to use)
    Friends with BGEs and myriad other fired devices (currently unavail IRL)
    Occasional access to a KBQ and Webber Kettle
    Charcuterie and sourdough enthusiast
    Prosciuttos in an undisclosed location

Austin, TX
  • bicktrav
    bicktrav Posts: 640
    Options
    The biggest problem with a list like this is that Yelp reviews are all relative to the whereabouts/habits of the reviewer. To someone who rarely goes out, or who lives in an area with few options, Cracker Barrel might be a 5 out of 5 joint. To others, it might not scratch 1 out of 5.
    Southern California
  • frazzdaddy
    frazzdaddy Posts: 2,617
    Options
    Photo of The Georgia Pig - Brunswick GA United States Respect the Pig
    Never heard of the place in NC but I did used to stop at this little place in Brunswick Georgia on the way to Jax. Best BBQ ever. They cooked it on a large flat rock over an open fire pit. From the pics on the wall every US president since the 30's thought so too. Sadly the Georgia pig is gone now.  
    Xl bge ,LG bge, two 4' crusher cone fire pits. Weber Genisis gasser and 
    Two rusty Weber kettles. 

Two Rivers Farm
    Moncure N.C.
  • Foghorn
    Foghorn Posts: 9,834
    Options
    20stone said:
    I have been effectively trolled by @Foghorn 's progeny with "...as good as Bill Miller's" before.  187 is the charge they almost gave me.
    FYI,

said progeny is currently working on a job in Italy and has gained street cred among his work hosts by showing them pics of our (@20stone’s and @The Cen-Tex Smoker’s) charcuterie. And telling them that our prosciutto is the best he has ever tasted. 

Sorry for the hi-Jack. But trolling 20stone is a lot of fun. I’m still working to get a picture of our prosciutto on a canned biscuit. 

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• speed51133
    Options
    WeberWho said:

That's interesting about Smoke Shack in Milwaukee. The place smelled amazing and the atmosphere was really cool but the food I thought was average at best. All kinds of good reviews though. That's why I'll never leave a negative rating on any restaurant. Everyone's taste is different and what they like. They could have had an off day when I was there. I know how much it takes to run a business like that and they don't need some idiot like me telling them how to run and rate their business. Just my personal opinion though.

I've only had the pulled pork and the brisket. I thought both were great. I also like the assortment of sauces. Curious what place you DO rave about in the MKE area??
    XL BGE and Kamado Joe Jr.
  • WeberWho
    Options
    WeberWho said:

I've only had the pulled pork and the brisket. I thought both were great. I also like the assortment of sauces. Curious what place you DO rave about in the MKE area??
    I'm from the Twin Cities but my sister and brother in law live outside Milwaukee. So I can't help much for recommendations. I'm glad you enjoy it. That's all that matters.

Minnesota
  • Botch
    Options
    Botch said:

idk Barbeque in Tropic
    Thanks, you and @SmokeyPitt .  
    I think I've been thru Tropic once, and its just east of Bryce Nat'l Park, which is south but much higher than me, so colder, and I'm actually impressed this place is open year-round, with seating just on two picnic tables, outside!  A small, semi-permanent trailer place.  
    I've added it to my visit list.  

For anyone visiting, my two reccs are Holy Smoke up here in north UT (fantastic food, meh environment) and Pat's in SLC (great food, envir, music, but kinda pricey).  Disclaimer, I haven't hit a lot of BBQ spots in SLC; others here will have more accurate reccs.  

• U_tarded
    U_tarded Posts: 2,042
    Options
    Botch said:
    Botch said:

idk Barbeque in Tropic
    I think I've been thru Tropic once, and its just east of Bryce Nat'l Park, which is south but much higher than me, so colder, and I'm actually impressed this place is open year-round, with seating just on two picnic tables, outside!  A small, semi-permanent trailer place.  

For anyone visiting, my two reccs are Holy Smoke up here in north UT (fantastic food, meh environment) and Pat's in SLC (great food, envir, music, but kinda pricey).  Disclaimer, I haven't hit a lot of BBQ spots in SLC; others here will have more accurate reccs.  
    R&R used to be really good until they sold out.  Now it reminds me of Rudy’s in Texas it’s serviceable but not the best.  I don’t know if I’ve honestly had great bbq in Utah. 
  • Gulfcoastguy
    Options
    Next time I’m in our state capital I will have to try our states best Q. 
    Strangely enough I could be at Alabama’s in less than an hour .
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    edited February 2020
    Options
    Foghorn said:
    20stone said:
    FYI,

said progeny is currently working on a job in Italy and has gained street cred among his work hosts by showing them pics of our (@20stone’s and @The Cen-Tex Smoker’s) charcuterie. And telling them that our prosciutto is the best he has ever tasted. 

Sorry for the hi-Jack. But trolling 20stone is a lot of fun. I’m still working to get a picture of our prosciutto on a canned biscuit. 
    Will microwave popcorn suffice until then? (From a previous thread)

*ducks*

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • MNEggerandStuff
    Options
    Seems more like a list of obscure places that paid for some not to subtle advertising.
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    Yelp.  It's constantly rigged.  Could you imagine the Michelin rating system being run by a bunch of Millennials whose only culinary qualifications were the amount of time they spent on their smartphones?   If you can, you just imagined Yelp and this survey.
    U_tarded said:
    Botch said:
    Botch said:

idk Barbeque in Tropic

R&R used to be really good until they sold out.  Now it reminds me of Rudy’s in Texas it’s serviceable but not the best.  I don’t know if I’ve honestly had great bbq in Utah. 
    I like R&R a lot, the brisket is really good. Not a huge fan of their sauces. The ribs are ok, but I do like their Mac and cheese, and surprisingly their smoked skinless chicken thighs. It’s brought in for work a lot, and we end up going with vendors frequently too. Maybe I just like it because I don’t pay for it. Free bbq is good bbq. 

Havent been to Pats in years, but I remember it was good. 
  • YukonRon
    YukonRon Posts: 16,989
    Options
    I appreciate the post, and thank you for putting it on the forum.

I have had the experience to visit the place listed in Kentucky, and was more than just mildly surprised to see it listed as the best.

My Beautiful Wife and I went to a JJ Grey concert in Campbellsville Kentucky, and had dinner at Brothers a few months back.

Busy night, less than stellar service. I use Yelp frequently while traveling to find the local gems, and participate mostly by commenting on either really exceptional places, or the worst. MEH places never get comments from me. I chose not to comment via Yelp on our experience there.

My Beautiful Wife, said it was not as good as ours, if that means anything.

One of the reviews was right...."best restaurant in this town, and there is not much in this town."

When comparing their food to Hardee's Bacon BarBQue burger.....yeah you will get a 4.5 star rating.

However....compare it to the Q from Moma's in Saint Matthew's, not so much.

The Q is pretty good in Kentucky, from one end of the state to the other. Based on our meal there, it was good...but relative to other spots around the Commonwealth, Meh.

I am not recommending to those with a bucket list of trying the best q in the state to make a pilgrimage to Brother's, but if you are ever in Campbellsville, and drive through is not your thing, then yeah, try it out.
    "Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • Foghorn
    Foghorn Posts: 9,834
    Options
    caliking said:
    Foghorn said:
    20stone said:
    FYI,

Will microwave popcorn suffice until then? (From a previous thread)

*ducks*

Yes

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• GATraveller
    GATraveller Posts: 8,207
    Options
    Looking forward to @DoubleEgger review.

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community [...] but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots."

-Umberto Eco

2 Large
    Peachtree Corners, GA
  • DoubleEgger
    Options
    Looking forward to @DoubleEgger review.
    I’ll try and make a run today.