Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Article: "The best barbecue joint in every state, according to Yelp"

Options
13»

Comments

• caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    Options
    Looking forward to @DoubleEgger review.
    Ask and you may receive. The wife and I stopped by and this is our collective thoughts. We were in agreement on everything 100%. Your mileage may vary. 

Brisket - Looked excellent and I was excited when I saw it. Went downhill fast. Roast beef rubbery texture and a nasty acrid smoke taste. Very salty. 
    Sausage - Best meat of the four hands down. Tasted similar to Conecuh. Well cooked and juicy. 
    Pulled Pork - Not very good. Dry,stringy, tough and bland. Hard chunks of BBQ. It definitely tasted like the cheapest pork they could find. We left most of it on the tray. 
    Turkey - Not very good, we barely touched it. No flavor, boring, weird texture. 

The sides were better than the protein. We had fire roasted creamed corn, squishy squash casserole and mac and cheese. All were solid. The squash picked up a little too much smoke but it was good. 

Conversation from the meal:

”The law of diminishing returns is really kicking in here”
    ”What’s the deal with the potato bread? Old school white bread or nothing.” 
    “Does this place even have a real smoker?”
    ”No ribs in this place?” 
    “Ribs probably take up too much space in their electric smoker” 
    “They don’t skimp on the quantity like other places with a multi meat plate”
    “They have some good sides. Good sides
    help make a BBQ joint. The sides are covering for the meats here” 

I know this will sound blasphemous, but I actually look forward to the sides at a celebrated/lauded BBQ joint more than the meats.

With a bunch of places cooking premium grade meats, the difference in taste is academic after a point. E.g. hard to screw up prime grade (or better) beef ribs, no matter what you do to them. They price their grub accordingly. 

I’m looking for the sausage, sides, and desserts. If they can get those right, the other stuff doesn’t usually disappoint. 

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • Lit
    Lit Posts: 9,053
    Options
    Lit said:
    We’re hitting up socks love for lunch tomorrow so I’ll let the GA people know if it’s worth it. Crazy they are only open 5 days a week from 11-2. 
    I hope your experience was better than mine. 
    What didn’t you like? The brisket was dry but besides that everything was pretty good.
  • DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,171
    Options
    Lit said:
    Lit said:
    We’re hitting up socks love for lunch tomorrow so I’ll let the GA people know if it’s worth it. Crazy they are only open 5 days a week from 11-2. 
    What didn’t you like? The brisket was dry but besides that everything was pretty good.
    I reviewed the place above in the comments. 
  • Lit
    Options
    We hit up socks love in Cumming for lunch. Overall I thought it was good. Got a 4 meat plate with baked beans, Mac and cheese, collard greens, brisket chilli, and buffalo chicken dip. Meats I got brisket, pulled pork, chicken, and sausage. The brisket was dry but I got it to go so that didn’t help. The pulled pork was really good and I don’t think I’ve ever said that about pulled pork before. It was just over $40 and we had leftovers with me my wife and 2 young kids. 
  • U_tarded
    U_tarded Posts: 2,042
    Options
    U_tarded said:
    Botch said:
    Botch said:
    If someone with a faster computer/net connection could tell me what won in Utard, would be appreciated.  (site hard-crashed mine twice)  

idk Barbeque in Tropic
    Thanks, you and @SmokeyPitt .  
    I think I've been thru Tropic once, and its just east of Bryce Nat'l Park, which is south but much higher than me, so colder, and I'm actually impressed this place is open year-round, with seating just on two picnic tables, outside!  A small, semi-permanent trailer place.  
    I've added it to my visit list.  

For anyone visiting, my two reccs are Holy Smoke up here in north UT (fantastic food, meh environment) and Pat's in SLC (great food, envir, music, but kinda pricey).  Disclaimer, I haven't hit a lot of BBQ spots in SLC; others here will have more accurate reccs.  
    R&R used to be really good until they sold out.  Now it reminds me of Rudy’s in Texas it’s serviceable but not the best.  I don’t know if I’ve honestly had great bbq in Utah. 
    I like R&R a lot, the brisket is really good. Not a huge fan of their sauces. The ribs are ok, but I do like their Mac and cheese, and surprisingly their smoked skinless chicken thighs. It’s brought in for work a lot, and we end up going with vendors frequently too. Maybe I just like it because I don’t pay for it. Free bbq is good bbq. 

Havent been to Pats in years, but I remember it was good. 
    Their brisket is pretty good, so is the sausage.  You are right on the sauces.  I haven’t had chicken,  I like the hush puppies and Mac n cheese.  It’s definitely better than anything in southern Utah but I have no reason to go to Tropic so I will never learn of this lists best. 
  • Lit
    Options
    Lit said:
    Lit said:
    I reviewed the place above in the comments. 
    Agree about the brisket for sure. Didn’t try the turkey. The pulled pork today was really good. Also liked the sausage. All the sides were good. I will go back just cause it’s close. 
  • SonVolt
    SonVolt Posts: 3,314
    edited February 2020
    Options
    I'm just glad Big Bob Gibson's didn't make the list for Alabama. I snapped this pic of their jerky brisket a while back. 

South of Nashville  -  BGE XL  -  Alfresco 42" ALXE  -  Alfresco Versa Burner  - Sunbeam Microwave 
  • DoubleEgger
    Options
    Went back to Sock’s Love again today just to see if last time last a fluke. It was worse today. One bite of this mush and it went into the trash. Had the texture of being in a sous vide far too long. The Charro beans were worse. Best BBQ in GA is laughable. I’d rather eat at Dickie’s. Off to find something else
    for lunch...

• Lit
    Options
    Went back to Sock’s Love again today just to see if last time last a fluke. It was worse today. One bite of this mush and it went into the trash. Had the texture of being in a sous vide far too long. The Charro beans were worse. Best BBQ in GA is laughable. I’d rather eat at Dickie’s. Off to find something else
    for lunch...

That sucks. I was hoping we finally had something decent in Cumming. When I was eating the leftovers from the time I went the brisket chilli was overly salty. 
  • DoubleEgger
    Options
    Lit said:
    for lunch...

That sucks. I was hoping we finally had something decent in Cumming. When I was eating the leftovers from the time I went the brisket chilli was overly salty. 
    I was hoping for a better experience this time. One of the workers was going around asking if the Charro beans were any good with a scared look on her face. Can’t say that I’ve ever seen that before.