Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Sauscutapalooza AWSS6 The Payoff

Options

Comments

• JohnInCarolina
    Options
    Safe to call this gathering... a sausage fest?
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    Options

I woke up pretty beat down.  Still a lot of sausage to do
    Thats a winning start, for sure.

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • Foghorn
    Foghorn Posts: 9,836
    Options
    Given the overwhelming evidence, we’d have a hard time refuting that claim. 

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• JohnInCarolina
    Options
    Foghorn said:
    Given the overwhelming evidence, we’d have a hard time refuting that claim. 
    Well if that's what It is all I can say is that I'm madly jealous.  It looks like a great time, while still being very much an AW.  
  • SciAggie
    SciAggie Posts: 6,481
    Options
    @20stone @The Cen-Tex Smoker @caliking @northGAcock This kinda sets a high standard for egghead gatherings, eh?
    Coleman, Texas
    Large BGE & Mini Max for the wok. A few old camp Dutch ovens and a wood fired oven. LSG 24” cabinet offset smoker. There are a few paella pans and a Patagonia cross in the barn. A curing chamber for bacterial transformation of meats...
    "Bourbon slushies. Sure you can cook on the BGE without them, but why would you?"
                                                                                                                          YukonRon
  • Foghorn
    Options
    1) The beef merguez is the best sausage we’ve ever made. 

2) We’re working 4 stations. 1) grinding, 2) stuffing, 3) bagging, 4) cleanup. 

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• northGAcock
    northGAcock Posts: 15,164
    Options
    SciAggie said:
    @20stone @The Cen-Tex Smoker @caliking @northGAcock This kinda sets a high standard for egghead gatherings, eh?
    Gathering, collaborating, laughing and a few adult beverages is what great lifein is all about. 
    Ellijay GA with a Medium & MiniMax

Well, I married me a wife, she's been trouble all my life,
    Run me out in the cold rain and snow
  • Foghorn
    Options
    SciAggie said:
    Gathering, collaborating, laughing and a few adult beverages is what great lifein is all about. 
    Yeah, that and about 850 sausage links (estimated) for sharing when it’s all done. 

San Antonio, TX

• northGAcock
    Options
    Foghorn said:
    SciAggie said:
    Yeah, that and about 850 sausage links (estimated) for sharing when it’s all done. 
    Having made sausage the last 3 years with @Sea2Ski, I left out hard work. It is hard to explain to those who have not experienced the process. The common goal and end game provides the motivation. Cheers to you guys and enjoy the ride. 

• JohnInCarolina
    JohnInCarolina Posts: 30,949
    edited January 2020
    Options
    Foghorn said:

While I have no doubt that it is very good to excellent, I am somewhat skeptical that it can be anywhere near as good as some of the sausage that Larry @lkapigian has produced.  

But I am an exceptionally fair man as everyone here knows and I appreciate that this is fairly subjective, and that it can be difficult to really know without relying on the judgment of a large group of unbiased folks, preferably those having a lot of experience with all sorts of fine meats.  

Ahem.

Conveniently... Cen-Tex has plans to attend Butt Blast later this spring.  Also conveniently, @lkapigian will also be coming, and I suspect, bringing some of his very best sausage.  

So all I ask my friends is that, if you are betting men, and your sausage is anywhere near as good as you think it is, that you allow a healthy sample of it to survive until April when it can potentially make a plane trip from TX to NC.  

Now if this burden is too much for any of you to bear we will all of course completely understand while also never letting any of you live it down.  TIA
  • 20stone
    20stone Posts: 1,961
    Options
    Foghorn said:
    SciAggie said:
    What is this “sharing” you speak of. 

As for ButtBlast, maybe we should make a bunch on the spot, and see what’s what. 
    (now only 16 stone)

Joule SV
    GE induction stove
    Gasser by the community pool (currently unavailable)
    Scale (which one of my friends refuses to use)
    Friends with BGEs and myriad other fired devices (currently unavail IRL)
    Occasional access to a KBQ and Webber Kettle
    Charcuterie and sourdough enthusiast
    Prosciuttos in an undisclosed location

Austin, TX
  • northGAcock
    Options
    20stone said:
    Foghorn said:
    SciAggie said:

As for ButtBlast, maybe we should make a bunch on the spot, and see what’s what. 
    Too much work......BB is for playing and eatin.

• Foghorn
    Options
    I’m am always sad to miss this, but that last pic might be the most Dad pic ever. Cargo shorts, comfortable shoes, and what I can assume is asking for directions on how not to get your beer drank by a bunch of a-holes in New Orleans.
    @Eggcelsior@20stone was the main instigator of that. And he’s here. And you’re not. 

Keep you beer close and your beer enemies closer. 

San Antonio, TX

• HogFather
    HogFather Posts: 259
    Options
    Foghorn said:

While I have no doubt that it is very good to excellent, I am somewhat skeptical that it can be anywhere near as good as some of the sausage that Larry @lkapigian has produced.  

But I am an exceptionally fair man as everyone here knows and I appreciate that this is fairly subjective, and that it can be difficult to really know without relying on the judgment of a large group of unbiased folks, preferably those having a lot of experience with all sorts of fine meats.  

Ahem.

Conveniently... Cen-Tex has plans to attend Butt Blast later this spring.  Also conveniently, @lkapigian will also be coming, and I suspect, bringing some of his very best sausage.  

So all I ask my friends is that, if you are betting men, and your sausage is anywhere near as good as you think it is, that you allow a healthy sample of it to survive until April when it can potentially make a plane trip from TX to NC.  

Now if this burden is too much for any of you to bear we will all of course completely understand while also never letting any of you live it down.  TIA
    Fact.

Most of us have had Larry's meat in our mouths. It only seems fair that BB2020 goers taste your meat too
    Fighting off the trolls 1 by 1
    Large Egg

Pig, KY 
  • JohnInCarolina
    Options
    20stone said:
    Foghorn said:
    SciAggie said:

Too much work......BB is for playing and eatin.
    Well... it certainly is for some.
  • DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,174
    Options
    Love seeing eggheads getting together to do great things. 
  • Foghorn
    Options
    Our host with my son, stuffing the last batch of beef merguez. The finish line is in sight. 

San Antonio, TX

• Foghorn
    Options
    20stone bagging masala sausage. 

San Antonio, TX

• smokingal
    smokingal Posts: 1,025
    Options
    Awesome.  Looks like a lot of fun is being had.
    It's "Smokin Gal", not "Smoking Al".
    Egging in the Atlanta GA region
    Large BGE, CGS setup, Kick Ash Basket, Smokeware SS Cap,
    Arteflame grill grate

http://barbecueaddict.com
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    Options
    Very awesome. Y’all must be licked. 

I see Jason is doing the heavy lifting. As usual. 

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • 20stone
    Options
    80 lbs of masalawurst. A high point for cultural appropriation 

(now only 16 stone)

Joule SV
    GE induction stove

Austin, TX
  • 20stone
    Options

(now only 16 stone)

Joule SV
    GE induction stove

Austin, TX
  • Wolfpack
    Wolfpack Posts: 3,551
    Options
    I really need to move to TX

Greensboro, NC
  • 20stone
    Options
    50 lbs of brats and 25 lbs of Texas beef (made of waygu brisket)

(now only 16 stone)

Joule SV
    GE induction stove

Austin, TX
  • 20stone
    Options

When a casing burst, you end up losing a link, you cut through it and tie off on either end. You have to squeeze out the sausage from the broken limb, so you can toss it back in the stuffer. 

It reminds us of the bar in “Roadhouse”

You’re welcome
    (now only 16 stone)

Joule SV
    GE induction stove

Austin, TX
  • Foghorn
    Options
    caliking said:
    Very awesome. Y’all must be licked. 

I see Jason is doing the heavy lifting. As usual. 
    Yep. As it should be. You’re just jealous that your son isn’t old enough yet to do so. 

San Antonio, TX

• Foghorn
    Options

With our host. We gave him the honorary last bag with the 1000th link. We had 200 quart bags with 4 links each. We needed 50 (at least) free form vac seal bags to supplement. 

San Antonio, TX

• JohnInCarolina
    Options
    1000 links holy moly.