Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Sauscutapalooza AWSS6 The Payoff

Options

Comments

• The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    No rest for the weary:

25lbs bacon, 6lbs of Pancetta, and 7lbs of Coppa all in the salt nap for a while. 

Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • Foghorn
    Foghorn Posts: 9,842
    Options
    @SciAggie, there are a lot of Aggies here. Which should not surprise anybody. 

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• Foghorn
    Options
    The best job at the cookoff. Watching the pastor rotate and occasionally spraying it with salt water. 

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• saluki2007
    saluki2007 Posts: 6,354
    Options
    Looks like a great weekend ahead if this is how it's starting. Keep the pics coming please. 
    Large and Small BGE
    Central, IL

• Foghorn
    Options
    Will do @saluki2007.  We’re packed tighter than previous years. 3 teams cooking here. Our team on a Gator Pit (foreground). Joey Smith in his custom chrome pit (behind the Gator offset). And some of his team breaking off to man a Traeger (far back).We’re sponsored by Shiner so they provided the pop up canopy. And Yetis full of their beer. Shiner Light Blonde goes down easy in the daytime. 

San Antonio, TX

• JohnInCarolina
    Options
    Foghorn said:
    So, the sausage saga continues. I arrived on site last evening at the San Antonio Stock Show and Rodeo BBQ Cookoff. Our host from last weekend arranged for several of us to have an RV on site with some friends who compete. 

“Our” team is The Good Life BBQ.

https://www.goodlifebbq.com/

We’re sharing a site (6 sites actually) with world champion Joey Smith of Texas Chrome BBQ.

https://texaschromebbq.com/

He has probably the coolest looking smoker I’ve ever seen. Pics aren’t great because of tight quarters between the RVs.  

I served up some of our masala and merguez for several members of both teams last night and folks were uniformly impressed.  It made me wonder if taking our sausage for taste testing by some yahoos in NC was even worth doing at this point. @JohnInCarolina

Looking forward to a couple of good days of BBQ.
    Well I for one hope some of your high-society sausage will make its way to us lowlifes in NC.

I’ve instructed the staff at the Charlotte airport not to let Centex step off the plane unless he comes with.  
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • Foghorn
    edited January 2020
    Options
    I’ve heard that airport sux.  :)

San Antonio, TX

• Foghorn
    Options
    We’ve hit the big time. 

Our masalawurst is on Joey’s chrome smoker. Going to share it around. 

San Antonio, TX

• Foghorn
    Options

San Antonio, TX

• Foghorn
    Options

San Antonio, TX

• 20stone
    20stone Posts: 1,961
    Options
    Foghorn said:

Ingredients were carefully weighed from a recipe that was at best a guess, but at least we can repeat it. I’d be curious if there are tweaks that you and the guys recommend.  

Unfortunately we didn’t have @c@caliking’s input. 
    (now only 16 stone)

Joule SV
    GE induction stove
    Gasser by the community pool (currently unavailable)
    Scale (which one of my friends refuses to use)
    Friends with BGEs and myriad other fired devices (currently unavail IRL)
    Occasional access to a KBQ and Webber Kettle
    Charcuterie and sourdough enthusiast
    Prosciuttos in an undisclosed location

Austin, TX
  • Foghorn
    Options
    I just shared slices of the masala and the beef merguez with multiple members of 3 competitive teams. Consensus is that the masala is indeed too spice forward and that the beef merguez is best ever. Like chorizo only better and not as greasy. 

There is not (to me anyway) a specific spice that needs to be reduced in the masala. Maybe reduce them all 10-20% to let the meat flavor come through. 

San Antonio, TX

• caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    Options
    20stone said:
    Foghorn said:

Ingredients were carefully weighed from a recipe that was at best a guess, but at least we can repeat it. I’d be curious if there are tweaks that you and the guys recommend.  

Masalawurst is not a sausage... its a concept. You must live it to know it :)

Did y'all account for reserving half of the spice mix , after toasting and grinding it , when you were doing your fancy calculations?

Scales.... pfffttttt.

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • lkapigian
    lkapigian Posts: 10,765
    Options
    caliking said:
    20stone said:
    Foghorn said:

Masalawurst is not a sausage... its a concept. You must live it to know it :)

Did y'all account for reserving half of the spice mix , after toasting and grinding it , when you were doing your fancy calculations?

Scales.... pfffttttt.
    Would love to have the not recipe
    Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • Foghorn
    Options
    This could come in handy 

San Antonio, TX

• Foghorn
    Options
    Also, my son, my out-of-town friend, and I just finished judging chicken. There was a surprisingly wide range of tastes and quality. 

San Antonio, TX

• Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,624
    Options
    Foghorn said:
    This could come in handy 

• Foghorn
    Options
    Legume said:
    Foghorn said:
    This could come in handy 

That’s good advice right there 

San Antonio, TX

• Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,485
    Options
    caliking said:
    Masalawurst is not a sausage... its a concept. 
    And next year's commemorative t-shirt is complete!   ;)

"Pro-Life" would be twenty students graduating from Sandy Hook next month  

• Foghorn
    Options
    These jalapeño brisket poppers and these ribs did not finish in the top 20. 

With that said, the ones that didn’t get turned in to the judges were REALLY good.  

Was a good weekend overall. Our team got 5th in dessert, 3rd in ribeye, and 7th in brisket. 

San Antonio, TX

• lkapigian
    Options
    Foghorn said:
    These jalapeño brisket poppers and these ribs did not finish in the top 20. 

With that said, the ones that didn’t get turned in to the judges were REALLY good.  

Was a good weekend overall. Our team got 5th in dessert, 3rd in ribeye, and 7th in brisket. 
    Great Job @Foghorn
    Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • SciAggie
    SciAggie Posts: 6,481
    Options
    Sounds like a lot of fun. Those poppers look delicious. 
    Coleman, Texas
    Large BGE & Mini Max for the wok. A few old camp Dutch ovens and a wood fired oven. LSG 24” cabinet offset smoker. There are a few paella pans and a Patagonia cross in the barn. A curing chamber for bacterial transformation of meats...
    "Bourbon slushies. Sure you can cook on the BGE without them, but why would you?"
                                                                                                                          YukonRon
  • Foghorn
    Options
    SciAggie said:
    Sounds like a lot of fun. Those poppers look delicious. 
    They are @SciAggie.  They've taken 6th place each of the last two years.  They've always been made with frozen competition brisket from a previous contest, but the team didn't have any of that on hand.  So, they cooked one at home to pull but according to the guy who always puts them together, it didn't have the same consistency as it was "too juicy".  As a result, they were somewhat runny on the inside when they were sliced - and the judges have to eat them with a knife and fork.  

That didn't keep me from filling up on the "rejects".   :)

San Antonio, TX

• 20stone
    20stone Posts: 1,961
    Options
    Great results, Dan. I wouldn’t mind tucking into that myself. 

Masalawurst on deck for dinner. We’ll see what the palate in our family thinks. 
    (now only 16 stone)

Joule SV
    GE induction stove
    Gasser by the community pool (currently unavailable)
    Scale (which one of my friends refuses to use)
    Friends with BGEs and myriad other fired devices (currently unavail IRL)
    Occasional access to a KBQ and Webber Kettle
    Charcuterie and sourdough enthusiast
    Prosciuttos in an undisclosed location

Austin, TX
  • Foghorn
    Options
    @20stone, I like the new profile pic. 

San Antonio, TX

• Foghorn
    Options
    Masalawurst top right. Brats top left. The other 8 are beef merguez. 

On the platter, Masalawurst on the left, brats on the right, beef merguez in the center. 

San Antonio, TX

• lkapigian
    Options
    Foghorn said:
    Masalawurst top right. Brats top left. The other 8 are beef merguez. 

On the platter, Masalawurst on the left, brats on the right, beef merguez in the center. 
    Sweet !
    Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • Foghorn
    Options
    Thanks @lkapigian.

San Antonio, TX