Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Sauscutapalooza AWSS6 The Payoff

This weekend I'm getting the pleasure of participating in my 3rd (@20stone's 6th) AWSS (A$$ WHIP $HIT$HOW) whereby a bunch of us are spending the weekend together doing a lot of butchering and sausagemaking.  On the docket this weekend is:  Texas beef sausage (made from Wagyu brisket provided by @The Cen-Tex Smoker, bratwurst, our own invention of masalawurst (We modified - actually just documented for the first time with any accuracy because @caliking isn't here and we had to actually use weights), and beef merguez sausage.  We just finished dinner that consisted of some bear (cooked medium), elk (medium rare), brisket (Wagyu - smoked by Centex on his Karubeque), and Dutch oven apple cobbler among other things.  We're on a ranch about an hour south of San Antonio hosted by a good friend of mine.  He has a separate food processing building that is the best space we've ever used for this.  

The "payoff" was a prosciutto that came from a pig we bought and butched 3 years ago - as we ate that on Friday night when we arrived - and a cured coppa that 20stone has been curing for several months.  With some bread, cheese, olives, Belgian beer, and wine it was one of the best meals I've ever had.  Then this morning we got to work on the sausage before 7 AM and worked until 7:30 PM when everybody was ready for dinner.  We have a lot of work still to do, but it is a holiday weekend so we're thinking we'll get to the finish line by Monday morning - with 250 pounds of sausage.  Pics to follow.

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

Comments

• Foghorn
    Foghorn Posts: 9,795

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• Foghorn

That’s a big pork shoulder.  And a lot of spices. 

The shoulder came from a 500 pound part mangalitsa pig that 20stone and Centex got from a pig farmer. 

San Antonio, TX

• 20stone
    20stone Posts: 1,961
    The masalawurst is a hoot because:
    1) it was developed with no measurements at all
    2) the recipe was reconstructed by @caliking looking at a picture of a half sheet covered in a menagerie of spices
    3) now that we converted the cups per pound recipe to percentages, we had to readjust for a little less meat (80 lbs vs 90), and decided that a little more wouldn’t hurt (save for the salt, which was remeasured. 

Let’s just say it is “spice forward”
    (now only 16 stone)

Joule SV
    GE induction stove
    Gasser by the community pool (currently unavailable)
    Scale (which one of my friends refuses to use)
    Friends with BGEs and myriad other fired devices (currently unavail IRL)
    Occasional access to a KBQ and Webber Kettle
    Charcuterie and sourdough enthusiast
    Prosciuttos in an undisclosed location

Austin, TX
  • lkapigian
    lkapigian Posts: 10,708
  • Foghorn
    Spice forward = maximum spice saturation such that at any higher spice concentration it would precipitate out - and it will stain your clothes.  

San Antonio, TX

• Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,602
    Must’ve been raised right, doing it the right way there. #merica
  • Foghorn
    Thanks @Ikapigian.  We'll need to get you down here sometime.  

San Antonio, TX

• Foghorn
    Thanks @Mickey and @Legume.

San Antonio, TX

• caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,727
    20stone said:
    The masalawurst is a hoot because:
    1) it was developed with no measurements at all
    2) the recipe was reconstructed by @caliking looking at a picture of a half sheet covered in a menagerie of spices
    3) now that we converted the cups per pound recipe to percentages, we had to readjust for a little less meat (80 lbs vs 90), and decided that a little more wouldn’t hurt (save for the salt, which was remeasured. 

Let’s just say it is “spice forward”
     You'll know you got the recipe right when you can taste some meat in the spices.

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • caliking
    I'm somewhat mopey sitting on the sidelines here. The first 24hrs of AWSS sound grand.

• YukonRon
    YukonRon Posts: 16,984
    Sweet times right there.....lot of fun and great cooking....
    "Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • bluebird66
    bluebird66 Posts: 2,717
    Nice!
    Large Egg with adjustable rig, Kick Ash Basket and various Weber's
    Floyd Va

• Sea2Ski
    Sea2Ski Posts: 4,088
    Fantastic post...   looking to see more pictures of what unfolds.   And no holding back either...   share what is happening.  
    --------------------------------------------------
    Burning lump in Downingtown, PA or diesel in Cape May, NJ.
    ....just look for the smoke!
    Large and MiniMax
    --------------------------------------------------

Caliking said:   Meat in bung is my favorite. 
  • Foghorn
    edited January 2020
    And so it begins again

@caliking, you should know that this is the place we have been looking for all these years. 

150 acre hunting ranch with beds for 7 guests. Plus 2 couches. A freestanding meat processing building with a walk-in cooler and industrial sinks - 1 inside and 1 just outside. And the kitchen, dining, living area is meant for group congregating and shooting pool. And HEB and a meat processing/butcher shop within 15 minutes. 

San Antonio, TX

• Foghorn
    Friday evening. After the charcuterie dinner. 

San Antonio, TX

• caliking
    Foghorn said:
    And so it begins again

@caliking, you should know that this is the place we have been looming for all these years. 

150 acre hunting ranch with beds for 7 guests. Plus 2 couches. A freestanding meat processing building with a walk-in cooler and industrial sinks - 1 inside and 1 just outside. And the kitchen, dining, living area is meant for group congregating and shooting pool. And HEB and a meat processing/butcher shop within 15 minutes. 
    Looks and sounds like a great sausageorium. And I love the smell of wood smoke in the morning. 

Whatchy'all got planned for the day?

• Foghorn
    I’m am always sad to miss this, but that last pic might be the most Dad pic ever. Cargo shorts, comfortable shoes, and what I can assume is asking for directions on how not to get your beer drank by a bunch of a-holes in New Orleans.
    @Eggcelsior, you’re probably not too far off. And given the 71 degree high temp yesterday, that attire seemed appropriate. I brought my own beer for the group this trip and we have enjoyed most of my Belgian collection over the last 2 nights. 

San Antonio, TX

• dmchicago
    dmchicago Posts: 4,516
    Super cool endeavor and great pics.
    Philly - Kansas City - Houston - Cincinnati - Dallas - Houston - Memphis - Austin - Chicago - Austin

Large BGE. OONI 16, TOTO Washlet S550e (Now with enhanced Motherly Hugs!)

"If I wanted my balls washed, I'd go to the golf course!"
    Dennis - Austin,TX
  • Foghorn
    caliking said:
    Foghorn said:
    And so it begins again

@caliking, you should know that this is the place we have been looming for all these years. 

Looks and sounds like a great sausageorium. And I love the smell of wood smoke in the morning. 

Whatchy'all got planned for the day?
    More stuffing of masalawurst, grind and stuff beef merguez, lots of vacuum bagging. Lots of it. 

And we’re thinking Centex’s leftover brisket with Migas on a tortilla is a good way to start. 

San Antonio, TX

• I’m am always sad to miss this, but that last pic might be the most Dad pic ever. Cargo shorts, comfortable shoes, and what I can assume is asking for directions on how not to get your beer drank by a bunch of a-holes in New Orleans.
    It is amazing how much sensible footwear trumps fashion as you become wiser (older). And you never know when you are going to need that puffy 4th pocket :) 
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    The Cen-Tex Smoker Posts: 22,951
    edited January 2020
    I’m am always sad to miss this, but that last pic might be the most Dad pic ever. Cargo shorts, comfortable shoes, and what I can assume is asking for directions on how not to get your beer drank by a bunch of a-holes in New Orleans.
    It is amazing how much sensible footwear trumps fashion as you become wiser (older). And you never know when you are going to need that puffy 4th pocket :) 
    And I don’t know if you saw Dan’s short but it is also epic. It says

“I’m not like most teens...I’m in my 50’s!  

Greatness. 
  • SciAggie
    SciAggie Posts: 6,481
    You guys look like you are having a grand time. That’s a great location for sure. I’m sure the sausage you are producing will be most excellent. 
    That is what fun and fellowship should look like. 
    Coleman, Texas
    Large BGE & Mini Max for the wok. A few old camp Dutch ovens and a wood fired oven. LSG 24” cabinet offset smoker. There are a few paella pans and a Patagonia cross in the barn. A curing chamber for bacterial transformation of meats...
    "Bourbon slushies. Sure you can cook on the BGE without them, but why would you?"
                                                                                                                          YukonRon
  • ColtsFan
    ColtsFan Posts: 6,310
    That's pretty awesome!
    ~ John - https://www.instagram.com/hoosier_egger
    XL BGE, LG BGE, KJ Jr, PK Original, Ardore Pizza Oven, King Disc 
    Bloomington, IN - Hoo Hoo Hoo Hoosiers!

• Cool thread, looks like fun! Thanks for sharing
    South of Columbus, Ohio.

• SciAggie said:
    You guys look like you are having a grand time. That’s a great location for sure. I’m sure the sausage you are producing will be most excellent. 
    That is what fun and fellowship should look like. 
    It has been pretty crazy. We are having a great time though. We put in a 12 hour day yesterday and have another long one ahead today. No rest for the weary! 
  • blind99
    blind99 Posts: 4,971
    great job guys!  beats the heck out of the 4 degree temps we have up north.
    Chicago, IL - Large and Small BGE - Weber Gasser and Kettle