Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

OT - What are you doing right now?

Comments

• lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,168
    edited December 2019
    @Botch & @lousubcap I get three different ones in waves. Knee brace replacement, extend your car warranty, and reduce your credit card debt.
     For years, it has never varied from those three, and they all clone a local number 
    I have no idea the stimulus behind the frenzy as I block 'em if home.  And I have had my land-line (old here) call my cell and reverse.  No I did not answer  B)
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • smokingal
    smokingal Posts: 1,025
    I'm resigning to the fact that I simply can't understand what many Alabamians say.  It seems rude to ask someone to repeat themselves, repeatedly, when their diction never improves with each utterance.  It seems silly to just nod my head in agreement, particularly when they might be asking me about something for which I'm not in agreeance.  But I must digress.  It's like having a conversation with Boomhauer from King of the Hill.  I seriously don't know wtf I just agreed to.

Reminds me of when I first travelled to meet my grandparents in Philly, and my aunt kept telling me that I'd see them in two days when they came from the "sho".  I asked her what show were they seeing that lasts for two days and she looked at me like I was slow.  Turns out they were at their vacation home in Atlantic city and were at the beach that day.  "Sho = shore".  At least I understood everything but one word.  This last conversation with my fellow Alabamians left me feeling like I had just had a conversation with dogs who had been taught to speak.
    It's "Smokin Gal", not "Smoking Al".
    Egging in the Atlanta GA region
    Large BGE, CGS setup, Kick Ash Basket, Smokeware SS Cap,
    Arteflame grill grate

http://barbecueaddict.com
  • JohnInCarolina
    JohnInCarolina Posts: 30,867
    edited December 2019
    smokingal said:
    I'm resigning to the fact that I simply can't understand what many Alabamians say.  It seems rude to ask someone to repeat themselves, repeatedly, when their diction never improves with each utterance.  It seems silly to just nod my head in agreement, particularly when they might be asking me about something for which I'm not in agreeance.  But I must digress.  It's like having a conversation with Boomhauer from King of the Hill.  I seriously don't know wtf I just agreed to.

Reminds me of when I first travelled to meet my grandparents in Philly, and my aunt kept telling me that I'd see them in two days when they came from the "sho".  I asked her what show were they seeing that lasts for two days and she looked at me like I was slow.  Turns out they were at their vacation home in Atlantic city and were at the beach that day.  "Sho = shore".  At least I understood everything but one word.  This last conversation with my fellow Alabamians left me feeling like I had just had a conversation with dogs who had been taught to speak.

"I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • Trying to decide whether or not to send this out for review...

• Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,428
    smokingal said:

I lived in South Dakota and attended college at Iowa State, not a huge difference in dialect but many of the Engineering professors were from China, India, etc and it took a couple lectures before I understood everything.  

Same thing happened when I took a Community College night class two months ago, on the History of the Syrian Conflict, from a PhD who escaped from Syria 4 years ago.  It took three classes before I understood that weird word he kept saying was "polio" (which is exploding in the Middle East right now, sad to say).  

"I mean, I don't just kill guys, I'm notorious for doing in houseplants."  - Maggie, Northern Exposure

• ColtsFan
    ColtsFan Posts: 6,310
    Watching the shiit show that is the Indianapolis Colts 
    ~ John - https://www.instagram.com/hoosier_egger
    XL BGE, LG BGE, KJ Jr, PK Original, Ardore Pizza Oven, King Disc 
    Bloomington, IN - Hoo Hoo Hoo Hoosiers!

• smokingal
    Based on the flag my previous post received, it appears that I have offended some people.  My apologies.  That was not my intent.  Just venting as I'm frustrated that I'm failing to communicate properly with people that I interact with on a daily basis.
    Arteflame grill grate

• smokingal
    edited December 2019
    Botch said:

I lived in South Dakota and attended college at Iowa State, not a huge difference in dialect but many of the Engineering professors were from China, India, etc and it took a couple lectures before I understood everything.  

Same thing happened when I took a Community College night class two months ago, on the History of the Syrian Conflict, from a PhD who escaped from Syria 4 years ago.  It took three classes before I understood that weird word he kept saying was "polio" (which is exploding in the Middle East right now, sad to say).  
    I know what you mean, but this is a bit different.  It's like someone starting a conversation in their head, while speaking to you mid-sentence in that thought process, while none of the words are being enunciated.  In this case, one of the people was a cashier, who turned to the store owner, who is Indian, and said some unintelligible stuff, to which the store owner just said "yeah".  I know that look on her face.  I had the same look.  It's that "uh, sure" look that I've adopted.
    Arteflame grill grate

• smokingal said:
    Botch said:

I know what you mean, but this is a bit different.  It's like someone starting a conversation in their head, while speaking to you mid-sentence in that thought process, while none of the words are being enunciated.  In this case, one of the people was a cashier, who turned to the store owner, who is Indian, and said some unintelligible stuff, to which the store owner just said "yeah".  I know that look on her face.  I had the same look.  It's that "uh, sure" look that I've adopted.
    I know what you mean. It's like me trying to conversate with those damn Mexicans and Asians in KY.

Your in Merica gosh darn it. Speak American 
    Fighting off the trolls 1 by 1
    Large Egg

Pig, KY 
  • YukonRon
    YukonRon Posts: 16,984
    The Big Breesee

Congrats on getting the record.
    "Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    ColtsFan said:

305 yards, 29 of 30 completions, 4 TDs, 9 receivers 
    Botch said:
    @Botch & @lousubcap I get three different ones in waves. Knee brace replacement, extend your car warranty, and reduce your credit card debt.
     For years, it has never varied from those three, and they all clone a local number 
    My "caller" who does leave a message, states that I'm overdue on some bill, will have my paycheck garnished, yada yada, unless I call this overseas number immediately.  Its been repeating for a couple years.  

But @alaskanassasin's post reminded me of my situation in Albuturkey, '87-'92.  There, it was carpet cleaners.  I was getting multiple calls, daily, to have my carpets cleaned, predominantly from three businesses.  I finally sent letters to all three, asking to have my number removed from their call list (with a Courtesy Copy to my law firm, Dewey, Skrewem, & Howe, Attorneys at Law).  The calls stopped, from two of them, but not the third.  
    So, I paid them a personal visit.  Put on my Happy Face, walked in, and asked to speak to the Owner, (his name was in the Yellow Pages ad), as he was my old college roommate.  Receptionist said he'd just left for a late lunch, could she have my number?  
    I paused, for a second, and then the light bulb went off.  I said, "Sure, it's (lie-lie-liie), but I'm flying back home in a couple hours, could I get his home phone too?"  She smiled, and gladly gave it to me!  

Heh.
    Heh.
    Heh.

I got home, and sure enough another recording from Shithead & Son, Carpet Cleaners.  I waited until 6:05 pm, and then called him up at home, and asked to have my carpets cleaned:
    "Please call my business tomorrow, at xxx-xxx-xxxx"
    "Well, you called me at MY home, so I'm calling you at YOUR home, could I have my...
    >click<
    Next night, same thing.  Heee.
    Next night, same thing!  (he sounded a bit testy)
    I tried again on Saturday morning, he still didn't want to book me (and sounded almost, angry?)  
    We didn't have caller ID in those days, so I kept calling him, or his wife, whenever the mood struck me.  I was playing in bar bands heavily in those days, so I started calling him after my gig, at 0230 am when I got home.  Wow!  Why was he so grouchy?  I just wanted my carpets cleaned....
    He finally changed his home phone #, and I got PCS orders to the Dakotas.  Never did get my carpets cleaned.  I remember where his store was on Central Avenue, and I plan on visiting Albuquerque soon, in my Retirement.

And I bet he has a new receptionist....   =)
    Remind me to never piss you off...
    Does that Bama speak thing have anything to do with folks banging their sisters?

HogFather said:
    smokingal said:
    Botch said:

I know what you mean. It's like me trying to conversate with those damn Mexicans and Asians in KY.

Does that Bama speak thing have anything to do with folks banging their sisters?

Ok, guys.  We all have accents.  That does not stop one from enunciating.  English speaking people shouldn't struggle to understand each other's words when an effort to communicate is made.  Note, understanding what someone really means is a separate issue.
    Arteflame grill grate

• DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,125
    smokingal said:
    Based on the flag my previous post received, it appears that I have offended some people.  My apologies.  That was not my intent.  Just venting as I'm frustrated that I'm failing to communicate properly with people that I interact with on a daily basis.
    That’s bvllshit @smokingal. I flagged you for the comment. Yes you did intend to offend people. You called people from Alabama dogs for Christ’s sake. 
  • ColtsFan
    ColtsFan Posts: 6,310
    ColtsFan said:

305 yards, 29 of 30 completions, 4 TDs, 9 receivers 
    I'm happy for Drew. The guy was on point last night.
    ~ John - https://www.instagram.com/hoosier_egger
    XL BGE, LG BGE, KJ Jr, PK Original, Ardore Pizza Oven, King Disc 
    Bloomington, IN - Hoo Hoo Hoo Hoosiers!

• SonVolt
    SonVolt Posts: 3,314
    ColtsFan said:

This will be quite popular in the office 

Does it keep the ice code also? I've been tempted to put a commercial nugget ice machine in my garage.... just worry how much of a headache they will be to run/maintain. 
    South of Nashville  -  BGE XL  -  Alfresco 42" ALXE  -  Alfresco Versa Burner  - Sunbeam Microwave 
  • SonVolt
    SonVolt Posts: 3,314
    smokingal said:
    HogFather said:
    smokingal said:
    Botch said:

Ok, guys.  We all have accents.  That does not stop one from enunciating.  English speaking people shouldn't struggle to understand each other's words when an effort to communicate is made.  Note, understanding what someone really means is a separate issue.

I assume this has less to do with Alabama and more to do with your inability to interact with people of lesser education than yourself.  I'm afraid to ask what life choices you made to force you into a profession that requires your daily interaction with such "dogs"... 
    South of Nashville  -  BGE XL  -  Alfresco 42" ALXE  -  Alfresco Versa Burner  - Sunbeam Microwave 
  • HogFather said:

Oh the irony.
  • SMDH at you people getting mad at @smokingal for nothing. That’s what I’m doing right now. 

Rockwall, Tx    LBGE, Minimax, 22" Blackstone, Pizza Party Bollore. Cast Iron Hoarder.

• frazzdaddy
    frazzdaddy Posts: 2,617
    Due to my affiliation with a certain German car company I have spent some time in Alabama. In that time I have made quite a few acquaintances as well as some good friends. I have been very impressed with most of them. There are always exceptions no matter where you find yourself.    
    Xl bge ,LG bge, two 4' crusher cone fire pits. Weber Genisis gasser and 
    Two rusty Weber kettles. 

Two Rivers Farm
    Moncure N.C.
  • SMDH 

Is that Texas slang for "Suckin'own My Daddy's Hog"?
    I used to be able to name every nut that there was. 
  • smokingal
    smokingal said:
    That’s bvllshit @smokingal. I flagged you for the comment. Yes you did intend to offend people. You called people from Alabama dogs for Christ’s sake. 
    Again, I apologize.  I honestly didn't intend to offend anyone but I clearly did and I'm sorry.  I did not call people from Alabama dogs.  I referenced the speech pattern of the people I had just dealt with as unintelligible, like dogs barking words.  I feel really bad that I have angered people.  It's not something I enjoy doing.  I will keep future comments and posts to myself. 
    Arteflame grill grate

• TEXASBGE2018
    TEXASBGE2018 Posts: 3,831
    edited December 2019
    SMDH 

Is that Texas slang for "Suckin'own My Daddy's Hog"?
    I thought Ron had finally found you and took care of the problem. Guess we aren’t that lucky

Rockwall, Tx    LBGE, Minimax, 22" Blackstone, Pizza Party Bollore. Cast Iron Hoarder.

• My dog is offended now you guys are on a roll
    South of Columbus, Ohio.