Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

OT - What are you doing right now?

Comments

• Dyal_SC
    Dyal_SC Posts: 6,023
    Sea2Ski said:
    Dyal_SC said:
    Buttered and toasted baguette with horsey mayo, brisket point and spicy pickled onions.

That was a delicious bite.  I know it was. 
    Yessir, had like 7 or 8 of them. 😄
  • TigerTony
    TigerTony Posts: 1,078
    edited November 2019
    TigerTony said:
    Well, I haven't visited or posted on this BGE forum in a few years due to numerous life changes in my life. Mostly health related. All good now!
    So here I am, I'm back ready to get back to being an egghead.
    As to the question "what are you doing right now?"
    I'm trying to decide whether or not I should read the 5619 post that I missed in this thread. lol!
    Tony, so glad to see you back.  Haven’t heard from you since brisket camp II!   Glad all is well again. 

Welcome back!
    Thank you yolk! I'm happy to see you and lots of the same people still on the forum. You in particular and many others have always been kind, interesting and informative.
    I cooked a practice 12lb turkey today spatchcok.
    Came out great!

"I'm stupidest when I try to be funny" 
    New Orleans

• DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,125
    TigerTony said:
    TigerTony said:
    Well, I haven't visited or posted on this BGE forum in a few years due to numerous life changes in my life. Mostly health related. All good now!
    So here I am, I'm back ready to get back to being an egghead.
    As to the question "what are you doing right now?"
    I'm trying to decide whether or not I should read the 5619 post that I missed in this thread. lol!
    Tony, so glad to see you back.  Haven’t heard from you since brisket camp II!   Glad all is well again. 

Welcome back!
    Thank you yolk! I'm happy to see you and lots of the same people still on the forum. You in particular and many others have always been kind, interesting and informative.
    I cooked a practice 12lb turkey today spatchcok.
    Came out great!

Very excited to see you back my friend. 
  • SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    Today is Sunday so I get to back off the diet a little. Fixing to eat a bag of frosted animal cookies. One of my personal favorites 👍

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• Jamming a blues rhythm while my youngest tries to improv some lead.  Some good, some bad…
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102

@nolaegghead
    Looks great brother 👍

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• Battleborn
    Battleborn Posts: 3,338

You must be full. 
    Las Vegas, NV

• SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    You must be full. 
    He is full of $hit for sure  ;)

Status- Standing by.

• nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    I committed to cook the meat for my work's thanksgiving potluck.  Then realized last week I have a conflict - will be in Nashville for a series of meetings while it's going on.  So just cooked everything this weekend and vacu-sucked it for reheating in SV.

I did some quality control.
    found found out that you can indeed cook on a SoloStove Bonfire pit..

I have another idea, but may need another firepit to execute. Have to gauge how much caliqueen will tolerate =)

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • milesvdustin
    milesvdustin Posts: 2,882
    edited November 2019
    Spicy pickled onions recipe please @Dyal_SC

2 LBGE, Blackstone 36, Jumbo Joe

Egging in Southern Illinois (Marion)

• Dyal_SC
    Sure thing. It’s Cook’s Illustrated recipe that @The Cen-Tex Smoker posted about awhile back. 

Here is his post and I’ll just copy and paste his instructions here. 

His instructions:

Sweet & Spicy Pickled Onions
    * From Cooks Illustrated
    The onions can be refrigerated in an airtight container for up to 1 week.

Ingredients

medium red onion, halved and sliced thin
    cup red wine vinegar
     cup sugar
    jalapeño chiles, stemmed, seeded, and cut into rings
    ¼ teaspoon salt

Instructions

~ Place the onion slices in a medium heatproof bowl. Bring the vinegar, sugar, jalapeños, and salt to a simmer in a small saucepan over medium-high heat, stirring occasionally, to dissolve the sugar. Pour the hot vinegar mixture over the onion, cover loosely, and let cool to room temperature, about 30 minutes. When cool, drain and discard the liquid and serve the onions.

• Thanks! Do you throw away the peppers? 

2 LBGE, Blackstone 36, Jumbo Joe

Egging in Southern Illinois (Marion)

• Dyal_SC
    Thanks! Do you throw away the peppers? 
    Nope, I leave them in. They’re tasty too. 
  • SciAggie
    SciAggie Posts: 6,481
    @SonVolt Man, that’s some great looking food right there. You eat well. 
    Coleman, Texas
    Large BGE & Mini Max for the wok. A few old camp Dutch ovens and a wood fired oven. LSG 24” cabinet offset smoker. There are a few paella pans and a Patagonia cross in the barn. A curing chamber for bacterial transformation of meats...
    "Bourbon slushies. Sure you can cook on the BGE without them, but why would you?"
                                                                                                                          YukonRon
  • SonVolt said:
    A couple of recent cooks.

Pork Chop - seared and butter basted in a skillet (too cold to use the egg) served with sweet potato gratin

Pork "Prime Rib" cooked raised-direct on the Egg, served with mustard onions from Sean Brock's new Southern food cookbook

Coq a Vin (chicken braised in wine), served with buttered parsley noodles and pearl onions from Bourdain's first cookbook (RIP)

Malbec braised spare ribs from Francis Mallman's Seven Fires, served over braised red cabbage. I seared these on the egg, then transferred to a pot with the wine and cook direct over the grate with the lid off ~30 minutes to get some smoke, then covered until tender. 

Awesome looking cooks. However, did I just read “too cold to use the Egg?” The Egg is a year-round cooking apparatus. Some of us routinely Egg in -22F or lower. If only your resolve was as powerful as your cooks. 😉
  • Last night's dinner....

Do you always eat it raw? 😉
  • GATraveller
    GATraveller Posts: 8,207
    Last night's dinner....

Do you always eat it raw? 😉
    I could but I don't think the kids and wife would go for it  =)  Im just really slack wen it comes to getting plated pics. My girls said this is their favorite meal I cook. I love that because it's the easiest. Win win. 

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community [...] but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots."

-Umberto Eco

2 Large
    Peachtree Corners, GA
  • Dyal_SC
    Second night’s use of the brisket. Kelly’s award winning chili. Simmered first about 6 hours today.  Served with fresh bread. Ridiculously good. 

• ColtsFan
    ColtsFan Posts: 6,310

~ John - https://www.instagram.com/hoosier_egger
    XL BGE, LG BGE, KJ Jr, PK Original, Ardore Pizza Oven, King Disc 
    Bloomington, IN - Hoo Hoo Hoo Hoosiers!

• Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,429
    Dyal_SC said:

Sweet & Spicy Pickled Onions
    * From Cooks Illustrated
    The onions can be refrigerated in an airtight container for up to 1 week.

Ingredients

medium red onion, halved and sliced thin
    cup red wine vinegar
     cup sugar
    jalapeño chiles, stemmed, seeded, and cut into rings
    ¼ teaspoon salt

Instructions

~ Place the onion slices in a medium heatproof bowl. Bring the vinegar, sugar, jalapeños, and salt to a simmer in a small saucepan over medium-high heat, stirring occasionally, to dissolve the sugar. Pour the hot vinegar mixture over the onion, cover loosely, and let cool to room temperature, about 30 minutes. When cool, drain and discard the liquid and serve the onions.

Hmmm, I've made this recipe a couple times, but I did it wrong!  I sliced the onions and stuffed them into a glass jar, and poured the rest on top, cooled, sealed, and put in the frig.  I've used them for maybe a month, they eventually turn purple/brown and I tossed the (few) remainders.  
    Haven't died yet, so will continue to use them this way.  

"I mean, I don't just kill guys, I'm notorious for doing in houseplants."  - Maggie, Northern Exposure