Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

OffTopic PSA: Full Jamon Iberico with stand at Costco in SouthTexas

Options

Comments

• kl8ton
    kl8ton Posts: 5,429
    Options
    ColtsFan said:
    I approached SWMBO and didn't even get to finish my argument.

You started it as an argument.   That may have been your problem.  😁

Hey how did those remote power turner offer devices work out @ColtsFan
    Large, Medium, MiniMax, & 22, and 36" Blackstone
    Grand Rapids MI
  • theyolksonyou
    Options
    I had the opposite reaction.  She’s had the ham and knows it’s good.  Of course, I don’t mention price…
  • JohnInCarolina
    Options
    td66snrf said:
    Those are available here in SoCal also but with both of my daughters away at school what would the wife and I  do with it? It would be a sin to freeze it.
    I think generally speaking people look to eat them, occasionally in the company of friends.  
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • ColtsFan
    ColtsFan Posts: 6,340
    Options
    kl8ton said:
    ColtsFan said:

Those Wattbox's are legit. I use the hell out of them for secondary PoE switches away from the core network in a fiber WAN where I don't have networked PDU's. They're great for when a PoE AP goes offline or some other device hangs up. I can reboot the switch from a nice little cloud console which will power cycle the stuck device 
    ~ John - https://www.instagram.com/hoosier_egger
    XL BGE, LG BGE, KJ Jr, PK Original, Ardore Pizza Oven, King Disc 
    Bloomington, IN - Hoo Hoo Hoo Hoosiers!

• theyolksonyou
    Options
    ColtsFan said:
    kl8ton said:
    ColtsFan said:

Those Wattbox's are legit. I use the hell out of them for secondary PoE switches away from the core network in a fiber WAN where I don't have networked PDU's. They're great for when a PoE AP goes offline or some other device hangs up. I can reboot the switch from a nice little cloud console which will power cycle the stuck device 

• Foghorn
    Foghorn Posts: 9,836
    Options
    Ironically, as it was my wife who sent me the pic, I didn’t get to start the conversation. 

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• theyolksonyou
    Options
    The next bubble says, “I’ll pick it up tomorrow in the truck.”
  • Sea2Ski
    Sea2Ski Posts: 4,088
    Options
    That was the best pork on the planet. There are four grades. The best being the “black”. If you ever get to Spain, look up, find and take a tour. It was incredible. 

And their sausage....

--------------------------------------------------
    Burning lump in Downingtown, PA or diesel in Cape May, NJ.
    ....just look for the smoke!
    Large and MiniMax

Caliking said:   Meat in bung is my favorite. 
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    Options
    About this time of year, Christmahannukwanzawali shopping begins. 

For almost as long as we have been married, we celebrate all faiths by shopping. Our gifts to each other are thoughtful- she gets things like BBQ gear, meat, etc. and I receive things like hand-milled soaps and so forth. 

So as soon as mid-October hits, a couple of packages show up at the door almost daily. She can’t keep up. Could be a couple of months before she notices some things. Snuck in a table saw that way. SoloStove firepit was acquired similarly. 

She’ll wise up one of these years. Or just give up =)

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • Sea2Ski
    Sea2Ski Posts: 4,088
    Options

Burning lump in Downingtown, PA or diesel in Cape May, NJ.
    ....just look for the smoke!
    Large and MiniMax

Caliking said:   Meat in bung is my favorite. 
  • SonVolt
    SonVolt Posts: 3,314
    Options
    I just want the stand so I can put a proper Benton's ham in it. 
    South of Nashville  -  BGE XL  -  Alfresco 42" ALXE  -  Alfresco Versa Burner  - Sunbeam Microwave 
  • DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,174
    Options
    caliking said:

For almost as long as we have been married, we celebrate all faiths by shopping. Our gifts to each other are thoughtful- she gets things like BBQ gear, meat, etc. and I receive things like hand-milled soaps and so forth. 

So as soon as mid-October hits, a couple of packages show up at the door almost daily. She can’t keep up. Could be a couple of months before she notices some things. Snuck in a table saw that way. SoloStove firepit was acquired similarly. 

She knows. She just chooses to ignore it. 
  • Foghorn
    Options
    caliking said:

She knows. She just chooses to ignore it. 
    I was going to say she gave up on him years ago...

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• speed51133
    Options
    Keep in mind you don't eat this like you would deli ham. It is WAY too.....idk, salty and rich? You slice it like paper thin. A few paper thin slices half the size of your palm make for a serving. 
    XL BGE and Kamado Joe Jr.
  • Foghorn
    Options
    Keep in mind you don't eat this like you would deli ham. It is WAY too.....idk, salty and rich? You slice it like paper thin. A few paper thin slices half the size of your palm make for a serving. 
    Yep.

I figured this out when I had it in a sandwich.  Many years ago someone told me that they had eaten the best sandwich they ever had.  With a baguette, a couple of thin slices of ham and a slice of cheese...

I thought "That's BS.  The best sandwiches come from New York delis and have an inch of meat on them."

Then I had a ham sandwich in Barcelona and I understood.  The ham flavor is so concentrated that it only takes a couple of slices to provide enough flavor for the whole sandwich.

San Antonio, TX

• WeberWho
    WeberWho Posts: 11,026
    Options
    They're often given out as Christmas bonuses at work in Barcelona 
    "The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota
  • billt01
    billt01 Posts: 1,528
    Options
    "don't eat it if it's old"
    Have:
     XLBGE / Stumps Baby XL / Couple of Stokers (Gen 1 and Gen 3) / Blackstone 36 / Maxey 3x5 water pan hog cooker
    Had:
    LBGE / Lang 60D / Cookshack SM150 / Stumps Stretch / Stumps Baby

Fat Willies BBQ
    Ola, Ga

• kdink
    kdink Posts: 336
    Options
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,754
    Options
    so who bought one =) i bought a whole prosciutto several years back, after eating from it for a year i was sick of prosciutto and tossed the last couple pounds. it didnt come with a knife but i did pony up for a messermeister slicer
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • SonVolt
    SonVolt Posts: 3,314
    Options
    so who bought one =) i bought a whole prosciutto several years back, after eating from it for a year i was sick of prosciutto and tossed the last couple pounds. it didnt come with a knife but i did pony up for a messermeister slicer

Cost aside, this is exactly why I won't buy one for the house. I would get sick of it. Products like this should be a treat, not a chore. If I was hosting a fancy party that may be a different story. 
    South of Nashville  -  BGE XL  -  Alfresco 42" ALXE  -  Alfresco Versa Burner  - Sunbeam Microwave 
  • Woodbutcher
    Woodbutcher Posts: 1,017
    Options
    I looked around and found several places selling these. What is preferred, shoulder or leg?
  • kl8ton
    kl8ton Posts: 5,429
    Options

This is our top option.
    Large, Medium, MiniMax, & 22, and 36" Blackstone
    Grand Rapids MI
  • Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,618
    Options
    @kl8ton I think that’s the one to the left of the iberico in forghorn’s original pic.  I wonder how good it is, good enough to buy for the holidays and not worry about who’s tearing it up?
  • Photo Egg
    Photo Egg Posts: 12,110
    Options
    kl8ton said:

This is our top option.
    That’s more in my price range!
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • NorthPilot06
    Options
    That fits the bill, that’s for sure. Anyone had it before?  
    DFW - 1 LGBE & Happy to Adopt More...
  • 20stone
    20stone Posts: 1,961
    Options
    I thought I jumped into this the other day, but posting on the phone doesn't always work for me.

Random observations:
    • You are wise to know where the fence line is in your marriage.  In our house, it's an electric fence, and I get a little jolt when I approach the limits (generous though they may be)
    • The stand is worth about $60 if you buy one like it on Amazon
    • A leg is a lot to eat, and really isn't at its best if it sits out for two long (unless you cut off the hard part exposed to the air).  It begs for a party
    • You have 1/6 of a leg waiting for you up here
    (now only 16 stone)

Joule SV
    GE induction stove
    Gasser by the community pool (currently unavailable)
    Scale (which one of my friends refuses to use)
    Friends with BGEs and myriad other fired devices (currently unavail IRL)
    Occasional access to a KBQ and Webber Kettle
    Charcuterie and sourdough enthusiast
    Prosciuttos in an undisclosed location

Austin, TX
  • Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,471
    Options
    Legume said:
    I saw whole Iberico legs in Madrid that struck me as reasonable/affordable, you just can’t bring one home.  
    Retirement approaches in a couple months.  
    Added to my Bucket List:  flight to Barcelona, visit a ham bar (a Ham bar!!).  Train to Madrid, buy a leg, taxi to Torrejon AFB, Space-A flight home.
    Thank you!  

Remember when teachers used to say 'You won't have a calculator everywhere you go'?  Well, we showed them.

• Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,471
    Options
    caliking said:
    Could be a couple of months before she notices some things. Snuck in a table saw that way. SoloStove firepit was acquired similarly. 
    We're not Worthy!!  

Remember when teachers used to say 'You won't have a calculator everywhere you go'?  Well, we showed them.