Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

OT - What are you doing right now?

Options

Comments

• SciAggie
    SciAggie Posts: 6,481
    Options
    Info regarding raindrops at terminal velocity. https://weloveweather.tv/fast-rain-actually-travel/
    This place is so much more than a cooking forum, right?
    Coleman, Texas
    Large BGE & Mini Max for the wok. A few old camp Dutch ovens and a wood fired oven. LSG 24” cabinet offset smoker. There are a few paella pans and a Patagonia cross in the barn. A curing chamber for bacterial transformation of meats...
    "Bourbon slushies. Sure you can cook on the BGE without them, but why would you?"
                                                                                                                          YukonRon
  • ColtsFan
    ColtsFan Posts: 6,340
    Options
    Botch said:
    I'm both impressed, and perplexed.
    I asked Alexa what the terminal velocity was for a raindrop (wherein gravitational acceleration, and aerodynamic drag, reach equilibrium, for an object in free-fall) and She answered, approximately 20 mph; impressive! Thinking about watching the rain again the dark trees here, I guessed that 20 mph was pretty close to on-the-money.

But then, confusion. I already knew that the terminal velocity for a human body is about 120 mph. A raindrop is actually not raindrop-shaped, but rather near-spherical; but even then it should provide a much more lower drag/weight ratio, compared to a human body, screaming with arms and legs flailing. I would think the raindrop should fall faster.

Any ideas?  :|
    I skydived once in the rain. I can assure you that I was traveling a hell of a lot faster than those rain drops.

They stung as they pelted off my face
    ~ John - https://www.instagram.com/hoosier_egger
    XL BGE, LG BGE, KJ Jr, PK Original, Ardore Pizza Oven, King Disc 
    Bloomington, IN - Hoo Hoo Hoo Hoosiers!

• SciAggie
    SciAggie Posts: 6,481
    Options
    ColtsFan said:
    Botch said:
    I'm both impressed, and perplexed.
    I asked Alexa what the terminal velocity was for a raindrop (wherein gravitational acceleration, and aerodynamic drag, reach equilibrium, for an object in free-fall) and She answered, approximately 20 mph; impressive! Thinking about watching the rain again the dark trees here, I guessed that 20 mph was pretty close to on-the-money.

But then, confusion. I already knew that the terminal velocity for a human body is about 120 mph. A raindrop is actually not raindrop-shaped, but rather near-spherical; but even then it should provide a much more lower drag/weight ratio, compared to a human body, screaming with arms and legs flailing. I would think the raindrop should fall faster.

Any ideas?  :|
    I skydived once in the rain. I can assure you that I was traveling a hell of a lot faster than those rain drops.

They stung as they pelted off my face
    That’s crazy. You would have been “catching” the rain drops at a relative 100 mph or 5 times the speed of a raindrop hitting you on the ground. I bet they stung...
    Coleman, Texas
    Large BGE & Mini Max for the wok. A few old camp Dutch ovens and a wood fired oven. LSG 24” cabinet offset smoker. There are a few paella pans and a Patagonia cross in the barn. A curing chamber for bacterial transformation of meats...
    "Bourbon slushies. Sure you can cook on the BGE without them, but why would you?"
                                                                                                                          YukonRon
  • SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    Options
    Busted out the deep fryer for the games today. Twice fries the french fries which were delicious and made lemon pepper rub and Nado’s peri peri wings.

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• theyolksonyou
    Options
    Busted out the deep fryer for the games today. Twice fries the french fries which were delicious and made lemon pepper rub and Nado’s peri peri wings.

Fryers need more love.  Used mine 4 times this weekend.  
  • Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,471
    Options
    SciAggie said:
    Info regarding raindrops at terminal velocity. https://weloveweather.tv/fast-rain-actually-travel/
    I'm still not understanding why a smaller raindrop falls slower than a bigger one, much less a screaming, flailing human.  My first two years of college were as an aerospace engineer, I may have to dig out those dusky texts to figure out what I'm missing.  
    And I need to retrain myself to not think about such dumb ****, once I retire.  Egads.  

Remember when teachers used to say 'You won't have a calculator everywhere you go'?  Well, we showed them.

• theyolksonyou
    Options
    Botch said:
    SciAggie said:
    I'm still not understanding why a smaller raindrop falls slower than a bigger one, much less a screaming, flailing human.  My first two years of college were as an aerospace engineer, I may have to dig out those dusky texts to figure out what I'm missing.  
    And I need to retrain myself to not think about such dumb ****, once I retire.  Egads.  
    @botch has to do with mass and surface area.  This link may help.  (I didn’t read it all.)

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Terminal_velocity
  • DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,174
    Options

Sounds like your fryer showed a lot of love on the bike trail today...
  • theyolksonyou
    Options

Sounds like your fryer showed a lot of love on the bike trail today...
    That and bourbon 
  • HeavyG
    HeavyG Posts: 10,348
    Options
    Botch said:
    SciAggie said:
    I'm sure xkcd has done a strip or three on this topic.
    “Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• thetrim
    thetrim Posts: 11,357
    Options
    Botch said:
    Interesting back story.  Put me in the camp that thought that was Cary Elwes.  Kind of jacked that they didn't have a link to his fundraising site on there.
    =======================================
    XL 6/06, Mini 6/12, L 10/12, Mini #2 12/14 MiniMax 3/16 Large #2 11/20 Legacy from my FIL - RIP
    Tampa Bay, FL
    EIB 6 Oct 95
  • northGAcock
    northGAcock Posts: 15,164
    Options
    Coming back from spending the weekend here.
    Southern Utah? Gawjus by the way.
    Ellijay GA with a Medium & MiniMax

Well, I married me a wife, she's been trouble all my life,
    Run me out in the cold rain and snow
  • Battleborn
    Battleborn Posts: 3,356
    Options
    Yes Sir, just south of Zion NP in Hildale. One of my favorite places.
    Las Vegas, NV

• ColtsFan
    ColtsFan Posts: 6,340
    Options
    Cussing my boss.

He just texted me a picture. He went to Austria for Oktoberfest
    ~ John - https://www.instagram.com/hoosier_egger
    XL BGE, LG BGE, KJ Jr, PK Original, Ardore Pizza Oven, King Disc 
    Bloomington, IN - Hoo Hoo Hoo Hoosiers!

• lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,347
    Options
    ColtsFan said:
    Cussing my boss.

He just texted me a picture. He went to Austria for Oktoberfest
    Close but Munich is the home.  Beer lesson upon return?? B)
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,347
    Options
    @BugFreak72 - well. now you need to retire that cook as I don't think it will ever get any better.  Way to nail it.  Congrats.

Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • bucky925
    bucky925 Posts: 2,029
    Options
    caliking said:
    @lousubcap I have always lived by that. Both at work and at home.

@Ozzie_Isaac If it wasn't for the rifle I bought without permission last week, we would have pictures of a new KJ.
     My stock response -
    1. I don't do drugs
    2. I'm not having an affair
    We're good, right? :smiley:
    This from the guy who's wife still hasn't seen the bourbon slushy pic from BB 2018?     =).  Just pulling the old chain brother.  

Be careful when following the masses. Sometimes the M is silent.

• U_tarded
    U_tarded Posts: 2,042
    Options
    Great place for sure.  Did you go to the cheese factory there (Colorado city)?  If not make a side trip it’s really good.
  • Battleborn
    Options
    U_tarded said:
    Great place for sure.  Did you go to the cheese factory there (Colorado city)?  If not make a side trip it’s really good.
    We did not. We went straight to the campsite and did not leave until this morning. Thanks for the recommendation, we will check it out next time we go.
    Las Vegas, NV

• SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    Options

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• U_tarded
    Options
    U_tarded said:
    We did not. We went straight to the campsite and did not leave until this morning. Thanks for the recommendation, we will check it out next time we go.
    Also what campground is this? we usually just go to BLM or other public areas but that area looks nice, I’m sure my wife wouldn’t mind something like that. 
  • Battleborn
    Options
    U_tarded said:
    U_tarded said:
    Also what campground is this? we usually just go to BLM or other public areas but that area looks nice, I’m sure my wife wouldn’t mind something like that. 
    We actually Airbnb the spots just to make sure we get what we want. This one is a little more expensive than I want for camping, but it comes with the tent, cots and an amazing view. Here is the link for this particular place.

https://www.airbnb.com/rooms/34470116
    Las Vegas, NV

• NorthPilot06
    Options
    Botch said:
    SciAggie said:
    @botch has to do with mass and surface area.  This link may help.  (I didn’t read it all.)

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Terminal_velocity
    That’s right. Terminal velocity is reached when the force of gravity is equal to parasitic drag (equal forces = no acceleration). 

Let’s take your example of two raindrops. Let’s say, for simplicity, that one is double the size of the other by volume and weight. That means that, in the terminal velocity equation (see @theyolksonyou link above), the numerator would double; however, the denominator would increase only by ~60% (the coefficient of drag, gravity constant, and density of air would not change). Since the numerator increases faster than the denominator, we can say that larger raindrops fall faster. 
    DFW - 1 LGBE & Happy to Adopt More...
  • U_tarded
    Options
    U_tarded said:
    U_tarded said:
    We actually Airbnb the spots just to make sure we get what we want. This one is a little more expensive than I want for camping, but it comes with the tent, cots and an amazing view. Here is the link for this particular place.

https://www.airbnb.com/rooms/34470116
    Thanks!  That’s our biggest struggle is the area is so popular we are always fighting for spots or booking national forest/parks 6 months in advance.  It gets annoying 
  • YukonRon
    YukonRon Posts: 16,989
    Options
    Insomnia makes you do weird things. 

Terminal velocity is reached when the force of gravity is equal to parasitic drag.

I remember doing this equation in a calc exam, if I remember correctly, it was my freshman year, following physics that same day.

Why am I writing this?
    "Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky