Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

OT: Could Use Some Good Karma Today

CTMike
CTMike Posts: 3,247
My wife of 36 years has had a rough time of it in the last 2 years, 3 ICU stays this year alone because of her asthma. We were sent to UPMC last Monday for a second opinion from the Comprehensive Lung Center there. Back at Yale to see her pulmo for follow up last Tuesday and she crashed again. 

It was determined that she needs a tracheostomy because her upper airway keeps collapsing. In the course of working her up for that, they found her aortic valve has an exceptionally rare congenital defect (quadracuspid instead of tricuspid - only a couple hundred cases reported since 1860) and requires replacement. That surgery is happening this afternoon (been in the ICU since last Tuesday), will be followed by 10 days in the CTICU, then the trach will happen. 

She he has a tough road ahead of her, but on the back end she should be able to get her life back.

Anyhow, if you could take a moment to throw some positive thoughts and prayers our way I would greatly appreciate it. 
MMBGE / Large BGE / XL BGE (Craigslist Find) / SF30x80 cabinet trailer - "Ol' Mortimer" / Outdoor kitchen in progress.  

RECOVERING BUBBLEHEAD
Southeastern CT. 

Comments

• johnmitchell
    johnmitchell Posts: 6,545
    Prayers sent and here is to a positive and healthy outcome..
    Greensboro North Carolina
    When in doubt Accelerate....
  • Sea2Ski
    Sea2Ski Posts: 4,088
    Another set of prayers sent. My thoughts are with you today. Had a loved one with an emergency aortic aneurysm, had surgery and and is doing great to this day which is 12 years later. The wait during surgery is excruciating but trust the outcome will be as positive and the recovery smooth and quicker than anticipated. 
    --------------------------------------------------
    Burning lump in Downingtown, PA or diesel in Cape May, NJ.
    ....just look for the smoke!
    Large and MiniMax
    --------------------------------------------------

Caliking said:   Meat in bung is my favorite. 
  • Jeremiah
    Jeremiah Posts: 6,412
    Positive vibes and thoughts coming from South Carolina. 
    Slumming it in Aiken, SC. 
  • JohnInCarolina
    JohnInCarolina Posts: 30,867
    We will be thinking about you guys today for sure Mike.  Hope it all goes as best as can be expected buddy.
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • GATraveller
    GATraveller Posts: 8,207
    Praying for you guys!  

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community [...] but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots."

-Umberto Eco

2 Large
    Peachtree Corners, GA
  • CTMike
    Thanks all. Did some research in to the CT Surgeon doing today’s procedure. When I saw that is CV is 73 pages of meat (no fluff), I feel that she is in good hands. 

Also, @JohnInCarolina, buddy is only half a word. ;)
    MMBGE / Large BGE / XL BGE (Craigslist Find) / SF30x80 cabinet trailer - "Ol' Mortimer" / Outdoor kitchen in progress.  

RECOVERING BUBBLEHEAD
    Southeastern CT. 
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Never had pulmonary issues, but I did have heart surgery (two valves replaced plus a double bypass). After the surgery it was all I could do to walk 5 feet to the sink to brush my teeth! I was never in any pain (I will never understand that), but I was just so weak, it was hard to do anything! Recovery was fairly quick though. That was 5 1/2 years ago and all has been well once I recovered. I see the cardiologist every 6 months or so and take some (cheap) meds, but that's it. 

No pulmonary issues for me though. Just wanted to say that, while challenging, the heart valve problem is not insurmountable! Best of luck to your wife!

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• JohnnyTarheel
    JohnnyTarheel Posts: 6,533
    Prayers Mike for your wife and a great outcome... keep us posted
    Charlotte, NC - Large BGE 2014, Maverick ET 733, Thermopen, Nest, Platesetter, Woo2 and Extender w/Grid, Kick Ash Basket, Pizza Stone, SS Smokeware Cap, Blackstone 36"
  • Thinking of your wife and of you and sending you good vibes. 
  • dmchicago
    dmchicago Posts: 4,516
    All the best Mike. 
    Philly - Kansas City - Houston - Cincinnati - Dallas - Houston - Memphis - Austin - Chicago - Austin

Large BGE. OONI 16, TOTO Washlet S550e (Now with enhanced Motherly Hugs!)

"If I wanted my balls washed, I'd go to the golf course!"
    Dennis - Austin,TX
  • 20stone
    20stone Posts: 1,961
    All the good wishes.  The good news is that maybe they found the thing that has been elusive for awhile. 

(now only 16 stone)

Joule SV
    GE induction stove
    Gasser by the community pool (currently unavailable)
    Scale (which one of my friends refuses to use)
    Friends with BGEs and myriad other fired devices (currently unavail IRL)
    Occasional access to a KBQ and Webber Kettle
    Charcuterie and sourdough enthusiast
    Prosciuttos in an undisclosed location

Austin, TX
  • bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    Best wishes Mike!  Thoughts and prayers for you and your family. 
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,167
    Here's to everything going according to the grand plan.  With your background you have done your homework.  Time to trust the experts and stay positive throughout.  Your support is critical to making the recovery as smooth as possible.  Your wife and you have got this. 
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Eoin
    Eoin Posts: 4,304
    Best wishes from this side of the pond, hope it all goes well.  Sounds like you have the right person on the procedure, can't beat experience.
  • Prayers and well wishes to you and your wife, Mike. You guys will get through this. 
    Snellville, GA

• EGGHEAD83
    EGGHEAD83 Posts: 61
    Hoping any praying for both of you I’ve hoping and praying for both of you. I’ve got a four year old that has been trach’d since birth. It’s got its own set of challenges but I’m sure all will turn out well in the end. 
    Large BGE, small BGE, 2-22” Weber kettles, 26” Weber kettle, Weber jumbo joe, 14” WSM, 17” BS and 36” BS. Hope Mills, NC. USA. 
  • pgprescott
    pgprescott Posts: 14,544
    Sent. I will say based upon my view of this forum, you have a healthy store of good karma in reserve. All the best.
  • CTMike
    EGGHEAD83 said:
    Hoping any praying for both of you I’ve hoping and praying for both of you. I’ve got a four year old that has been trach’d since birth. It’s got its own set of challenges but I’m sure all will turn out well in the end. 
    Thanks, PM inbound. 

RECOVERING BUBBLEHEAD
    Southeastern CT. 
  • ColtsFan
    ColtsFan Posts: 6,310
    All the best to your family. Good juju sent!
    ~ John - https://www.instagram.com/hoosier_egger
    XL BGE, LG BGE, KJ Jr, PK Original, Ardore Pizza Oven, King Disc 
    Bloomington, IN - Hoo Hoo Hoo Hoosiers!

• DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,125
    Prayers and good vibes sent. 
  • bubbajack
    bubbajack Posts: 1,088
    Prayers Sent!
    I drink cheap beer so I can afford good bourbon.

Salisbury, NC...... XL,Lx3,Mx2,S, MM, Mini BGE, FireDisc x2. Blackstone 22", Offset smoker, weber kettle 22"

• caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,727
    Good vibes and warm fuzzies sent from this corner. 

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • Theophan
    Theophan Posts: 2,654
    Your wife, and you, are in my prayers.
  • frazzdaddy
    frazzdaddy Posts: 2,617
    Stay strong man. Prayers for you and her.
    Xl bge ,LG bge, two 4' crusher cone fire pits. Weber Genisis gasser and 
    Two rusty Weber kettles. 

Two Rivers Farm
    Moncure N.C.
  • johnnyp
    johnnyp Posts: 3,932
    Thinking of you guys, Mike.
    XL & MM BGE, 36" Blackstone - Newport News, VA
  • lkapigian
    lkapigian Posts: 10,708
    Prayers for Your Wife and Family 
    Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • Never easy to watch a loved one go through things like this. Im sure you would go through it for her if you could. We are thinking of you both
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • saluki2007
    saluki2007 Posts: 6,354
    Sending good vibes your way.
    Large and Small BGE
    Central, IL

• SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    Y’all are certainly in my prayers my friend. Wishing y’all nothing but the very best. 

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,665
    edited March 2019
    karma and prayers sent, hoping for the best
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it