Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

OT- Lacto Fermentation Fun- Peppers and Sriracha

Options

Comments

• lkapigian
    lkapigian Posts: 10,766
    Options
    ChiliChump

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCSdNragfmbW_bqzUYBKIK_A

A great Channel For Growing Peppers And Fermenting Hot Sauces, a fairly new channel but highly recommended FWIW 
    Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • lkapigian
    Options
    Broke down and bought a decent PH Meter for,the fermention projects Sauce Sour Dough and Sausage....Found my completed and current ferment below 4

Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • FanOfFanboys
    FanOfFanboys Posts: 2,615
    Options
    starting another batch today. about 50-50 jalapenos and habaneros with some white onion and garlic mixed in

just under 3% brine

going to follow similar to what this guy did with some minor changes. I'll add a little brine, no ginger, and I'll only go about 6 weeks.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FqViIIzJ0jE
    Boom
  • FanOfFanboys
    FanOfFanboys Posts: 2,615
    Options
    My peppers
    Boom
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,767
    Options
    anyone ferment horseradish, thinking ferment it and later make mustard for the holidays.  horseradish should be ready to dig up in a week or two, leaves are just starting to fall over.
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • lkapigian
    Options
    starting another batch today. about 50-50 jalapenos and habaneros with some white onion and garlic mixed in

just under 3% brine

going to follow similar to what this guy did with some minor changes. I'll add a little brine, no ginger, and I'll only go about 6 weeks.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FqViIIzJ0jE
    Enjoy the ChiliChump Series
    Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • lkapigian
    Options
    anyone ferment horseradish, thinking ferment it and later make mustard for the holidays.  horseradish should be ready to dig up in a week or two, leaves are just starting to fall over.
    @fishlessman, I have not but no reason you can't and would be amazing I'm sure
    Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • lkapigian
    Options
    My peppers
    nice @FanOfFanboys I'll be pulling a ferment much like that in a couple days , only difference is some Thai Peppers 
    Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    Options
    No pics, but the salt 5% + sugar 5% brine worked out well for some peppers, onion, and garlic I fermented a couple of weeks ago. The peppers were crisp and snappy, which I'm thinking may be because of the higher salt. Didn't taste too salty, or noticeably different from the 3.5% brine. 

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • lkapigian
    Options
    caliking said:
    No pics, but the salt 5% + sugar 5% brine worked out well for some peppers, onion, and garlic I fermented a couple of weeks ago. The peppers were crisp and snappy, which I'm thinking may be because of the higher salt. Didn't taste too salty, or noticeably different from the 3.5% brine. 
    Awesome @caliking
    Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • lkapigian
    edited October 2018
    Options
    lkapigian said:
    lkapigian said:
    Trying to kick up the heat...4 pounds Jalapenos , 1.5 pounds Habanaro .75 pounds Thai Chili...Cold Smoking half the Jalapenos and Habanaro 

I did use a starter culture on this one, Not necessary but it does give it a kick start. I bought some when I first started fermenting, this is only the second time I've used it...and it is percolating away 

Got 5 quarts of sauce out of it, great taste but I can't tell anything from the smoke, and would have thought there would have been more heat from the Thai And Habanero .....PH is under 3, will let it meld for a couple days before bottling ... Thanks For Looking

Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • theyolksonyou
    Options
    Giving the pickles another try. Increased salinity to 5%. Going in the fridge.  

Habenero, garlic and fresh bay compliments of @bgebrent and nichole

• lkapigian
    Options
    Giving the pickles another try. Increased salinity to 5%. Going in the fridge.  

Habenero, garlic and fresh bay compliments of @bgebrent and nichole

Keep us posted, that may be they key with fridge and higher brine...looks great @theyolksonyou
    Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • fishlessman
    Options
    did up a batch of ghost pepper rooster sauce, this ones dangerous, also dried the peppers for later use.

this antique thing worked nice

fukahwee maine

• lkapigian
    Options
    did up a batch of ghost pepper rooster sauce, this ones dangerous, also dried the peppers for later use.

Nice @fishlessman ,great idea with the mash, I may toss the next batch in the dehydrator
    Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • fishlessman
    Options
    lkapigian said:

Nice @fishlessman ,great idea with the mash, I may toss the next batch in the dehydrator
    i put the jam deseesder? on the wood stove for a couple days which worked well, the woodstove is low temp this time of year.  thinking bloody marys next weekend B)
    fukahwee maine

• lkapigian
    Options
    Carolina Reaper Habanero Thai Serrano ...no idea what the little round orange one are smaller that a pea....Small Batch but hoping for some heat

Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • fishlessman
    Options
    lkapigian said:
    Carolina Reaper Habanero Thai Serrano ...no idea what the little round orange one are smaller that a pea....Small Batch but hoping for some heat

i have a jar of those little peppers, tepins i think
    fukahwee maine

• FanOfFanboys
    Options
    is there a big difference between a 4 week and a 6 week ferment?

I have some that have been going for 4 weeks and my plan was for them to go 6 but I am getting anxious ha. I am also heading to GA this Wednesday for Thanksgiving and the guy I am staying with is the one who grew the peppers. So it would be nice if I could take him the bottles of hot sauce that came from it. Otherwise I won't see him again until January or later. 

if there is a notable difference I will wait but if it is negligible then I will bottle it tonight or tomorrow. It is right at a 3% brine
    Boom
  • fishlessman
    Options

I have some that have been going for 4 weeks and my plan was for them to go 6 but I am getting anxious ha. I am also heading to GA this Wednesday for Thanksgiving and the guy I am staying with is the one who grew the peppers. So it would be nice if I could take him the bottles of hot sauce that came from it. Otherwise I won't see him again until January or later. 

if there is a notable difference I will wait but if it is negligible then I will bottle it tonight or tomorrow. It is right at a 3% brine
    after doing a few i just settled on 3 weeks in the fermenter and bottle and let it go another month or two in the cupboard, it seems to mellow it out
    fukahwee maine

• FanOfFanboys
    Options

after doing a few i just settled on 3 weeks in the fermenter and bottle and let it go another month or two in the cupboard, it seems to mellow it out
    sweet, thanks. I'll go ahead and bottle it today or tomorrow then

I am new to this but here is my plan: throw the peppers into blender with maybe 1/4 cup of brine and 1/4 cup of white vinegar. blend, without overheating, until smooth. then push through a strainer and bottle that

anything you recommend I should change? I don't want to add any of the xantham gum to it, prefer it thin in texture
    Boom
  • fishlessman
    Options
    lkapigian uses a spaghetti colander i believe. i used the one posted above then poured it thru a finer mesh one last time, before that i was leaving the solids in
    fukahwee maine

• lkapigian
    Options

I am new to this but here is my plan: throw the peppers into blender with maybe 1/4 cup of brine and 1/4 cup of white vinegar. blend, without overheating, until smooth. then push through a strainer and bottle that

anything you recommend I should change? I don't want to add any of the xantham gum to it, prefer it thin in texture

I blend twice, I add the vinegar Xanthan Gum and salt the second blend ...i add peppers to blender , fill with brine to the level of the peppers and blend careful not to overheat...ioverheat...i strain this then rank and the brine only with the additives....have fun
    Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • FanOfFanboys
    Options
    lkapigian uses a spaghetti colander i believe. i used the one posted above then poured it thru a finer mesh one last time, before that i was leaving the solids in
    quick question: do you blend just the peppers or do you include the onions and garlic that were in the ferment as well?
    Boom
  • fishlessman
    Options
    quick question: do you blend just the peppers or do you include the onions and garlic that were in the ferment as well?
    everything goes in
    fukahwee maine

• FanOfFanboys
    Options
    everything goes in
    I assumed but wanted to verify

now I can't wait to get home from work today so I can get started ha

I'll just keep in a large bottle until I get by the chef store tomorrow to pick up some bottles
    Boom
  • FanOfFanboys
    Options
    another dumb question: I dehydrated a bunch of habaneros and jalapenos with plans to make my own seasoning grinder. I never got around to it. I can still use those to ferment, right?
    Boom
  • lkapigian
    Options
    another dumb question: I dehydrated a bunch of habaneros and jalapenos with plans to make my own seasoning grinder. I never got around to it. I can still use those to ferment, right?

If dehydrated , I would make chili powder with it...dont think it will ferment ....coupd be wrong but you want fresh veggies to ferment
    Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • poster
    poster Posts: 1,172
    Options
    lkapigian said:

I blend twice, I add the vinegar Xanthan Gum and salt the second blend ...i add peppers to blender , fill with brine to the level of the peppers and blend careful not to overheat...ioverheat...i strain this then rank and the brine only with the additives....have fun

overheating? from blending? what did I miss?
  • FanOfFanboys
    Options
    lkapigian said:

If dehydrated , I would make chili powder with it...dont think it will ferment ....coupd be wrong but you want fresh veggies to ferment
    gotcha, don't want to waste

do you have a go-to recipe to make chili powder? I have never done anything like that. it is mostly habaneros and jalapenos
    Boom