Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

OT-What are you buying right now?

Comments

• DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,125
    Eoin said:
    ColtsFan said:
    Just dropped $1200 at the dentist on a crown. Good stuff 
    That’s TWO Roccboxes
    How the f**k does a crown cost the same as 2 x Roccboxes?
    Because we don’t pay 40-45% fed income tax. 
  • ColtsFan
    ColtsFan Posts: 6,310
    Eoin said:
    ColtsFan said:
    That’s TWO Roccboxes
    'Merica, that's how. It's sad

The bigger question is how in the hell did I crack a tooth eating a boneless NY strip last night?
    ~ John - https://www.instagram.com/hoosier_egger
    XL BGE, LG BGE, KJ Jr, PK Original, Ardore Pizza Oven, King Disc 
    Bloomington, IN - Hoo Hoo Hoo Hoosiers!

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,665
    Eoin said:
    ColtsFan said:
    That’s TWO Roccboxes
    thats cheap, earlier this year i was quoted 3 roccboxes $1733.00 for a crown. im sticking with what the dentist did over 40 years ago
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • TEXASBGE2018
    TEXASBGE2018 Posts: 3,831
    edited September 2018
    Eoin said:
    ColtsFan said:
    That’s TWO Roccboxes

Because dental work is one of the often overlooked healthcare areas where dentists are sitting here making out like bank robbers and nobody says anything. It doesn't bring the same anger and reactions as say "Cancer drug company screws patients with overpriced drugs"

Rockwall, Tx    LBGE, Minimax, 22" Blackstone, Pizza Party Bollore. Cast Iron Hoarder.

• pgprescott
    pgprescott Posts: 14,544
    Eoin said:
    ColtsFan said:
    That’s TWO Roccboxes
    Insurance drives inflation. 
  • fishlessman
    i would really like to know how the dental insurance scam works. pay them 600 bucks for insurance and they pay up to 2000 to the dentist for insanely little work. is there a kickback someplace
    fukahwee maine

• i would really like to know how the dental insurance scam works. pay them 600 bucks for insurance and they pay up to 2000 to the dentist for insanely little work. is there a kickback someplace

If insurance is involved someone is getting a kickback somewhere. Insurance has the potential to become the biggest Ponzi scheme in the world. 

Rockwall, Tx    LBGE, Minimax, 22" Blackstone, Pizza Party Bollore. Cast Iron Hoarder.

• TEXASBGE2018
    TEXASBGE2018 Posts: 3,831
    edited September 2018
    But back to what am I buying right now. I just bought a new turn signal housing for my 2005 4Runner. I'm sick of every time I drive through a puddle, water gets in there and blows up my turn signal bulbs. $15 bucks for an aftermarket one aint a bad deal. 30min of work and I won't have to mess with it again for 10 years.

• HeavyG
    HeavyG Posts: 10,323
    i would really like to know how the dental insurance scam works. pay them 600 bucks for insurance and they pay up to 2000 to the dentist for insanely little work. is there a kickback someplace
    The best (and cheapest) dental insurance is a toothbrush and dental floss and using them properly a few times a day.

“Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    edited September 2018
    Eoin said:
    ColtsFan said:
    That’s TWO Roccboxes
    Nope.  People think that though. You're not alone.

The U.S. is a very rich country, but even so, it devotes far more of its economy — 17.6 percent of GDP in 2010 — to health than any other country. The Netherlands is the next highest, at 12 percent of GDP, and the average among OECD countries was almost half that of the U.S., at 9.5 percent of GDP.

HeavyG said:
    The best (and cheapest) dental insurance is a toothbrush and dental floss and using them properly a few times a day.

after nearly 30 years of that routine and no dentist, i had a pinhole cavity filled, a cracked cavity repaired, and a 1500 dollar super cleaning. 1963.00 dollars of insurance coverage used to date this year =) would really like to know how this scam works
    fukahwee maine

• pgprescott
    No it removes normal market
    forces. It’s simple. Just like financing lends to inflation.  Just like the housing bubble. When money is easily (sometimes too easily) available to pay for something, the demand increases (artificially) and cost increases. 

Look at at things not covered by insurance and I would suspect the costs have risen at a dramatically slower pace. LASIK eye surgery for example. I’m not sure it doesn’t cost less today than ten years ago. Why do you suppose that is?
  • Eoin
    Eoin Posts: 4,304
    Eoin said:
    ColtsFan said:
    That’s TWO Roccboxes
    Dentistry costs here (unless you are really poor, but if you are you probably won't find an NHS dentist to take you on), not free at point of use like the rest of the healthcare system. 
  • fishlessman
    forces. It’s simple. Just like financing lends to inflation.  Just like the housing bubble. When money is easily (sometimes too easily) available to pay for something, the demand increases (artificially) and cost increases. 

Look at at things not covered by insurance and I would suspect the costs have risen at a dramatically slower pace. LASIK eye surgery for example. I’m not sure it doesn’t cost less today than ten years ago. Why do you suppose that is?
    there has to be more to it, i give you 600 dollars in january and thru the year you give me 2000 dollars back. if i dont need work done next year i dont give you 600 dollars to start the cycle over again. agreed, the dentist gets more
    fukahwee maine

• pgprescott

there has to be more to it, i give you 600 dollars in january and thru the year you give me 2000 dollars back. if i dont need work done next year i dont give you 600 dollars to start the cycle over again. agreed, the dentist gets more
    You are an anomaly. You have no copay? Many people pay and use little or no services. The biggest driver of inflation is employer paid insurance. It was started mostly as a means to reward employees without increasing the tax burden for them. 
  • pgprescott
    Eoin said:
    Eoin said:
    ColtsFan said:
    That’s TWO Roccboxes
    Dentistry costs here (unless you are really poor, but if you are you probably won't find an NHS dentist to take you on), not free at point of use like the rest of the healthcare system. 
    I bet it’s less expensive than our insurance based system. 
  • lkapigian said:

Great Job !@nolaegghead
    I like your rig but what about superheat and subcooling?
    Joliet, IL
    Large, Mini, Stoker, Smobot
  • Stocking up for a dove hunt Saturday.

LBGE
    AL
  • westernbbq
    westernbbq Posts: 2,490
    GOLD, SILVER and ammo....

Oh and I've got a friend who told me to go long in pork bellies....
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    edited September 2018
    lkapigian said:

Great Job !@nolaegghead
    I like your rig but what about superheat and subcooling?
    That rig tells you exactly what superheat and subcooling you need and measures it.  I just used the micron pressure gauge because this unit was pre-charged.   Just needed to pump down below 800 microns.

• kl8ton
    kl8ton Posts: 5,410
    Combine parts
    Tis the season!
    Large, Medium, MiniMax, & 22, and 36" Blackstone
    Grand Rapids MI
  • SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    Stocking up for a dove hunt Saturday.

It’s suppose to be 97 degrees here Saturday. Guess I will have to wait a while longer. 

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• GrateEggspectations
    GrateEggspectations Posts: 9,182
    edited September 2018
    For those of you looking for a gratuitous purchase, look no further.....

https://www.thisiswhyimbroke.com/

As one friend exclaimed: “So many things I never knew I needed!”
  • The_Stache
    The_Stache Posts: 1,153
    Diapers. Amazon is the best. 
    And it takes the "shame" out of checking out of Krogers with your Depends!
    Kirkland, TN
    2 LBGE, 1 MM

• SGH said:
    Stocking up for a dove hunt Saturday.

It’s suppose to be 97 degrees here Saturday. Guess I will have to wait a while longer. 
    Same.... 95 today, forecast Saturday is 95. It is supposed to rain some Friday night, hopefully that will cool it off some! But you know, you can't kill em from the couch!
    LBGE
    AL
  • 2 LBGE, Blackstone 36, Jumbo Joe

Egging in Southern Illinois (Marion)

• SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    Same.... 95 today, forecast Saturday is 95. It is supposed to rain some Friday night, hopefully that will cool it off some! But you know, you can't kill em from the couch!
    I can honestly remember shooting doves in the mid to late 70’s and wearing long sleeves because it was cool weather. Sadly that not the case now. 

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• Acn
    Acn Posts: 4,424
    SGH said:
    I can honestly remember shooting doves in the mid to late 70’s and wearing long sleeves because it was cool weather. Sadly that not the case now. 
    It’s almost as if he globe is warming.   =)

LBGE

Pikesville, MD