Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Finally going to inject a brisket- Need some input

Options
The Cen-Tex Smoker
The Cen-Tex Smoker Posts: 22,970
edited June 2018 in Beef
Been reading a lot of food books lately and the idea of using protein isolates and phosphates to retain moisture came up in a couple of different places. One was a sausage book and it went into all the science of it and why commercial producers use these tricks almost 100% of the time. It all makes sense but I've always tried to avoid adding that stuff to my food.

I've been thinking about trying one for years and this recent read and the Costco SRF Brisket orgy I just went on pushed me over the edge. I bought 8,  4 went to others and I kept 4.  Decided I'm going to inject one, make pastrami with another and cook the remaining 2 as I normally would (unless I just fall in love with the results of the injection). 

My Kosmos Q reserve injection showed up today so I guess I'm going to stick one and cook it early am tomorrow. 

Watched a bunch of videos and just like everything else bbq- every single person has a different "only way to do it". Myron says you have to inject with the grain or else it leaves streaks and pools of injection. Butcher's BBQ says you need to go across the grain so you break through multiple strands of the grain. Other people stick it straight in top-to-bottom in the checkerboard pattern. So, any advice from you needle junkies out there? Enlighten me.

I will either leave it in the cryo or put it in a deep cambro when I inject to keep it from spraying everywhere. Outside of that, I'm open to any and all thoughts. 

Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX

Comments

• lkapigian
    lkapigian Posts: 10,766
    Options
    I will be watching this thread- I have only injected brisket once and went Myron's way, so don't know if across is wrong. I have injected a Ton of Chuck Rolls and BUTTS and I think it helps, can't say I could really tell the difference on injecting a Quality Brisket
    Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,383
    Options
    Paging @YukonRon as he is a needle junkie and injects briskets as well.  Might as well get one more option.  Good luck as I will be following this.  
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • 20stone
    20stone Posts: 1,961
    Options
    I am both filled with rage, and curious how it turns out.

It just seems.....wrong.
    (now only 16 stone)

Joule SV
    GE induction stove
    Gasser by the community pool (currently unavailable)
    Scale (which one of my friends refuses to use)
    Friends with BGEs and myriad other fired devices (currently unavail IRL)
    Occasional access to a KBQ and Webber Kettle
    Charcuterie and sourdough enthusiast
    Prosciuttos in an undisclosed location

Austin, TX
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    20stone said:
    I am both filled with rage, and curious how it turns out.

It just seems.....wrong.
    Does to me too but just had to try one before bashing it. Never done burnt ends either. Guess I'll have to pop that cherry one day as well.

• lousubcap
    Options
    @The Cen-Tex Smoker - consider this an intervention...you can take care of the burnt ends cherry/itch with the pork belly.  
    You may lose your Texas ID card if you make the brisket sacrifice on that altar.  ;)
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    lousubcap said:
    @The Cen-Tex Smoker - consider this an intervention...you can take care of the burnt ends cherry/itch with the pork belly.  
    You may lose your Texas ID card if you make the brisket sacrifice on that altar.  ;)
    That is a good uh...point (sorry). I can just never bring myself to do it. After tasting this injection I am highly suspect I am headed down the right path here. Willing to admit it if I'm wrong but I may go buy a grocery store brisket to lay on the altar. 
  • JohnInCarolina
    JohnInCarolina Posts: 30,976
    Options
    lousubcap said:
    That is a good uh...point (sorry). I can just never bring myself to do it. After tasting this injection I am highly suspect I am headed down the right path here. Willing to admit it if I'm wrong but I may go buy a grocery store brisket to lay on the altar. 
    I feel like that would actually be a better test - using say a choice brisket.  If it makes a positive difference you’re more likely to notice it.  If it screws the pooch it’s not as big a loss.
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • GATraveller
    GATraveller Posts: 8,207
    Options
    Interesting.  I've always been against this method so my interest is peaked.

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community [...] but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots."

-Umberto Eco

2 Large
    Peachtree Corners, GA
  • Spaightlabs
    Spaightlabs Posts: 2,349
    Options
    lousubcap said:
    Hate to see you fall down 'flat' on an SRF.
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    lousubcap said:
    I just happen to have a farm raised belly looking for a home right now.  It's not the part I like for bacon so this is a perfect use for it. Thanks for the idea.
  • YukonRon
    YukonRon Posts: 16,989
    edited June 2018
    Options
    I have read about this being done is several competition BBQ forums. The ones that choose not to do it, and say it is wrong, end up top 10, but never win. Many have done this and have won.
    I use about 6-8 fist sized chunks of pecan.
    I have done it to Costco prime and choice. I have also done the dirtiest deed of them all;
    An SRF Black.
    I prep it before the cook, after the rub, injecting a mixture of 50% low sodium beef broth, 25% garlic juice and 25% onion juice.
    I will do it again right before the stall. And once more after the stall.
    IF you using probes will see the IT drop, don't worry, the test remains the toothpick resistance. One you have zero resistance, regardless of the IT, pull let sit at least for 20 mins prior to going to wrap towel cooler.
    I inject about 3-4 ounces each time. Some of the injection will squirt out of the brisket, so do not be alarmed. What ever is left after the 3 injections, makes a nice mop for the rest of the cook.
    I have had folks tell me, those who have cooked and those who have judged, it is the best they have ever had.
    I do recommend you start with a lower cost brisket, and if it fits your flavor profile. 

This is what I use, you can find these or the equivalent in the spice aisle at your larger grocery stores:
    "Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    I have read about this being done is several competition BBQ forums. The ones that choose not to do it, and say it is wrong, end up top 10, but never win. Many have done this and have won.

This is actually what I'm worried about the most. I am not looking to create competition style brisket. Aaron Franklin's BBQ team has never won anything. They never even place. It's a different style but I'm willing to try one. But I am NOT mopping...sacrilege :lol:

I have another end game here so I am more curious how the protein isolates and phosphates work on water retention. This stuff has all kinds of flavors in it. Might should have bought the isolates and phosphates separately. 
  • YukonRon
    Options

This is actually what I'm worried about the most. I am not looking to create competition style brisket. Aaron Franklin's BBQ team has never won anything. They never even place. It's a different style but I'm willing to try one. But I am NOT mopping...sacrilege :lol:

I have another end game here so I am more curious how the protein isolates and phosphates work on water retention. This stuff has all kinds of flavors in it. Might should have bought the isolates and phosphates separately. 
    Good luck my friend. I hope this works out for you in the manner you seek.

Be glad to offer any help on my end, that you may think I am able to provide.

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • lousubcap
    Options
    @The Cen-Tex Smoker - I'm sure all this isolates and phosphates talk has @YukonRon salivating.  If memory serves me right he messes about with chemical things in a non-Q life.  I would be careful of too much of an ionic reaction during the cook  ;)
  • R2Egg2Q
    R2Egg2Q Posts: 2,136
    Options
    I used to inject against the grain to avoid having the injection holes that are visible on slices when you inject with the grain.  I’ve injected in both directions before and honestly don’t recall any difference between them besides the injection holes.  
    XL, Large, Small, Mini Eggs, Shirley Fabrication 24x36 Patio, Humphrey's Weekender, Karubecue C-60, MAK 1-Star General, Hasty Bake Gourmet, Santa Maria Grill, Webers: 14" WSM, 22.5" OTG, 22.5" Kettle Premium, WGA Charcoal, Summit S-620 NG

Bay Area, CA
  • YukonRon
    Options
    lousubcap said:
    @The Cen-Tex Smoker - I'm sure all this isolates and phosphates talk has @YukonRon salivating.  If memory serves me right he messes about with chemical things in a non-Q life.  I would be careful of too much of an ionic reaction during the cook  ;)
    Phosphates have been added for years to trap moisture in meats, Turkey is a prime example.
    Onions are an excellent source and besides flavor, every 100g of onion yields 29mg of phosphate. A great anti oxidant as well.
    Garlic has a lot of phosphorous as well, which would also lend itself to holding some water as well as adding flavor.
    Unfortunately, my focus in chemistry is environmentally related to remove NOx from our air and protection of the ground water, in relation to functional coatings of various designs. 
    The work in food science humbles me more often than fascinates others with my culinary knowledge and skills.
    Same with my chemistry achievements and professional career.

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    Options
    I’m curious to see what you think of the result. I don’t know if injecting would help a prime grade brisket be more moist. Maybe it would help with lower grade cuts?

and I don’t think there will be much difference between injecting with vs against the grain, given the needle being used. That thing will shred some meat no matter what the angle of approach is. 

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • xfire_ATX
    xfire_ATX Posts: 1,115
    Options
    @The Cen-Tex Smoker- Yesterday I was at Infamous in Hudson Bend and the Bloody Mary mix they had around for Micheladas they were saying they use it to inject briskets with.  I thought it was an interesting out of box thought.
    XLBGE, LBGECharbroil Gas Grill, Weber Q2000, Old Weber Kettle, Rectec RT-B380, Yeti 65, Yeti Hopper 20, RTIC 20, RTIC 20 Soft Side - Too many drinkware vessels to mention.

Not quite in Austin, TX City Limits
    Just Vote- What if you could choose "none of the above" on an election ballot? Millions of Americans do just that, in effect, by not voting.  The result in 2016: "Nobody" won more counties, more states, and more electoral votes than either candidate for president. 
  • caliking
    Options
    caliking said:
    I’m curious to see what you think of the result. I don’t know if injecting would help a prime grade brisket be more moist. Maybe it would help with lower grade cuts?

and I don’t think there will be much difference between injecting with vs against the grain, given the needle being used. That thing will shred some meat no matter what the angle of approach is. 
    And I’m casting my vote for the nay side i.e you won’t like the injected brisky. 

• YukonRon
    Options
    caliking said:
    caliking said:

And I’m casting my vote for the nay side i.e you won’t like the injected brisky. 
    Ye of little faith....at least I have the slushie thing to fall back on,  B)

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • UncleBilly
    UncleBilly Posts: 225
    edited June 2018
    Options
    I typically inject low sodium beef broth with the grain.  I’ve kind of wanted to try the Butcher BBQ Injection, but haven’t ordered it yet.  I don’t think injecting has any detrimental effect, but I’m not convinced that the simple beef broth I’ve been using is a game changer.  

The real test would be to cook two same grade briskets at once, one injected and one not and have a friend or family member feed you slices in a blind taste test to see if you can tell a difference.  

I doubt that I could.  But I’m a guy whose palette is blunt enough to enjoy Taco Bell.  
    XL  Central Ohio
  • Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,627
    Options
    xfire_ATX said:
    @The Cen-Tex Smoker- Yesterday I was at Infamous in Hudson Bend and the Bloody Mary mix they had around for Micheladas they were saying they use it to inject briskets with.  I thought it was an interesting out of box thought.
    Try this with tri-tip. Inject a bit, marinate.  Very good.
  • caliking
    Options
    YukonRon said:
    caliking said:
    caliking said:

I tend to be a naysayer... but am happy to be proven wrong.  Usually means that I end up learning something :) .

In retrospect, kinda douchey of me to inject (ha!) negativity into the discussion. Too late to edit the post, but consider it retracted. Let the outcome speak for itself. 

• YukonRon
    Options
    caliking said:
    YukonRon said:
    caliking said:
    caliking said:

I tend to be a naysayer... but am happy to be proven wrong.  Usually means that I end up learning something :) .

In retrospect, kinda douchey of me to inject (ha!) negativity into the discussion. Too late to edit the post, but consider it retracted. Let the outcome speak for itself. 
    Nah, people do what they like. I tried it, and the only person I had to please was My Beautiful Wife. She is very particular about brisket (and so many other things) so when I read about this approach, I thought I would test it out for myself.

My good fortune in learning to cook brisket was from @lousubcap. Frank was kind enough to share his insight, and with practice, I have turned out some brisket cooks that were phenominal. Frank is the ayatollah of rock and roll when it comes to brisket skills (or any skills on the bge).

I made up my own solution to inject with, after looking at tons of recommended injections, and this simple mix is what I came up with for a few reasons:
    Flavor is exceptional, My Beautiful Wife as well as others, have told me they have never tasted any beef that was any better. People want to take the leftovers with them, and ask me to cook a brisket for them. Their perception. These folks know brisket.
    Tenderness is improved. You slice this and put it on a plate, it is fork tender. I slice it a bit more thick than most, and it is like warm butter to slice on the plate. I took it for granted, while several have been amazed how tender the brisket seems to be.
    Moisture retention is significant. The brisket remains juicyfor the entire meal, and even the leftovers seem to remain juicy, even with a vigorous reheating, as I have frequently done in a lodge CI skillet. I will warm it up for burritos or tacos, and end up just eating it right out of the skillet. The burritos are a juicy mess, to enjoy, and my gosh, the flavor it puts into chili or vegetable beef soup is amazing.

With that being said, I will not go back to cooking a brisket without it, if I can.

I think you could easily make up another solution to your liking for injecting, but after trying some others and studying the effects, this ratio does what I need it to do.

Ashish, I love the comment, and don't worry, I did not take it as douchy. I respect your opinion, very much. I have learned much from your posts, and will continue to do so.

Like I said earlier, If it sucks, there is always a bourbon slushie to mask the pain of having to eat my crappy food.

I got you covered either way my friend.

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    Options
    I seriously cannot believe this is happening.
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • YukonRon
    Options
    DMW said:
    Welcome to the Dark side....

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    Options
    YukonRon said:
    DMW said:
    Welcome to the Dark side....

They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • lakewade
    lakewade Posts: 385
    Options
    Subscribed. This should be interesting.  

-----------
    I feel a whole lot more like I do now than I did when I got here.
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    Sorry to leave you hanging. something came up and we had to travel. Will have to redo this one another time. 
  • SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    Options
    something came up and we had to travel. 
    I hope that all is well brother Tex. 

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out.