Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

RIP Anthony Bourdain

Options

Comments

• RajunCajun
    RajunCajun Posts: 1,035
    Options
    So sad!  May he rest in peace.  I was never a big follower of his program, but he did manage to pique my interest from time to time and I am sure I would have enjoyed sitting down with him for a brew and a casual chat.  He was here locally just a week and a  half or so ago to do a segment on the last remaining Popeyes location in the world with a buffet.
    The problem with a problem is that you don't know it's a problem until it's a problem, and that is a big problem.
    Holding the company together with three spreadsheets and two cans connected by a long piece of string.
  • gdenby
    gdenby Posts: 6,239
    Options
    In one of his books, he talks about being in a bad love affair, and he's racing down a highway, ready to drive it off a cliff, or into one or something, when the Chamber's Bros. came on the radio, at that was enough to move him away from the edge. Evidently, the edge was never very far away.
  • SonVolt
    SonVolt Posts: 3,314
    edited June 2018
    Options
    There's already conspiracies floating around that this is connected to his girlfriend, Asia Argento and her connection to the Harvey  Weinstein scandal. 
    South of Nashville  -  BGE XL  -  Alfresco 42" ALXE  -  Alfresco Versa Burner  - Sunbeam Microwave 
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    This sucks. I read that too @gdenby. I remember thinking "man that is really dark, this guy has demons". That was like 10-15 years ago
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • Spaightlabs
    Spaightlabs Posts: 2,349
    Options
    SonVolt said:
    There's already conspiracys floating around that his is connect to his girlfriend, Asia Argento and her connection to the Harvey  Weinstein scandal. 
    Of course, one could always choose to refrain from spreading gossip/conspiracies/speculation or whatever it is you'd like to call it to make yourself feel like it isn't gossip...
  • JohnInCarolina
    JohnInCarolina Posts: 30,977
    Options
    SonVolt said:
    There's already conspiracys floating around that his is connect to his girlfriend, Asia Argento and her connection to the Harvey  Weinstein scandal. 
    That kind of crap always comes about with something like this.  Best to wait and see what the facts actually reveal, if anything.  
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • SonVolt
    Options
    SonVolt said:
    That kind of crap always comes about with something like this.  Best to wait and see what the facts actually reveal, if anything.  

Agreed. It's Pizza Gate all over again. 
    South of Nashville  -  BGE XL  -  Alfresco 42" ALXE  -  Alfresco Versa Burner  - Sunbeam Microwave 
  • SonVolt
    Options
    SonVolt said:
    Of course, one could always choose to refrain from spreading gossip/conspiracies/speculation or whatever it is you'd like to call it to make yourself feel like it isn't gossip...

I bet you're fun at parties. 
  • Spaightlabs
    Spaightlabs Posts: 2,349
    Options
    SonVolt said:
    SonVolt said:

I bet you're fun at parties. 
    Yeah, gossiping about dead people = a hoot.
  • YukonRon
    YukonRon Posts: 16,989
    Options
    I read the articles posted, which revealed the man's passions, and the reaction of others to his suicide.
    The demons must have been too strong in his mind, to force him to escape the suffering, and leave those that loved him behind.
    An 11 year old daughter and his girlfriend have no choice in dealing with it. Keep them in your thoughts, too.
    I hope they get through this difficult time.

"Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • lkapigian
    lkapigian Posts: 10,767
    Options
    we never know what is going through a persons mind when they come to this decision, It is my belief that we are NEVER given more than we can handle....easy to say on this side...With society the way it is now it becomes more and more difficult to get that "Rush" that feeds the mind, and when people are at that level, they turn to the pharmaceuticals that the drug companies say we need...Depression ( not in all cases )can be a self fulfilling Prophecy thanks to Advertising ....Wow, I'm not having a great day, I need that Antidepressant....DR say's Here is a sample.

The suicide rate has escalated with the use of those drugs, I say this from experience....Years ago I went through a "tough stretch" ( I laugh at it today) Dr. gave me Efexor....Was one of the worst experiences in my life, The immediate High compounded with Rage and I Will Kill you or Me....It was one of the Toughest Things I Have Ever quit, it took me months of "weaning" to get me off of it

Be happy with who you are and what you have, somewhere out there  someone has it worst

My Rant. Have A Blessed Weekend

Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • BUFFALOMOOSE
    BUFFALOMOOSE Posts: 373
    Options
    Loved the show.  Was more about life than food.  Here is a great article that put him on the map.

https://www.newyorker.com/magazine/1999/04/19/dont-eat-before-reading-this
    South Buffalo, New York
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    Ozzie_Isaac Posts: 19,107
    Options
    What!? Oh man.
    They don’t want a population of citizens capable of critical thinking. They don’t want well informed, well educated people capable of critical thinking. They’re not interested in that. That doesn’t help them. That's against their interests. - George Carlin
  • jdkeithbge
    jdkeithbge Posts: 310
    Options
    A huge loss.  As others have mentioned the tragedy is his daughter left dealing with this.  He will be missed!
    XL BGE, CGS AR & spider, 36" SS Blackstone, SMOBOT - Flower Mound, TX
  • SonVolt
    Options
    Totally did not see this coming. Always been a huge fan of his work. In all honesty I was worried that Batali was going to kill himself after the #MeToo scandal broke.... never in a million years thought Tony would have went out this way.  He was one of the greats. 
  • TEXASBGE2018
    TEXASBGE2018 Posts: 3,831
    Options
    As much as I didn't care for him. I hate to see that the guy thought that was the solution. Feel really bad for his kiddo. No kiddo should have to deal with that. At least he's at peace now.

Rockwall, Tx    LBGE, Minimax, 22" Blackstone, Pizza Party Bollore. Cast Iron Hoarder.

• Focker
    Focker Posts: 8,364
    Options
    FWIW and from the CDC.....more than half of people studied on suicide did not have a mental health condition.  
    Brandon
    Quad Cities
    "If yer gonna denigrate, familiarity with the subject is helpful."

• The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    going to read kitchen confidential again this weekend in the pool with a cocktail. 
  • odie91
    odie91 Posts: 541
    Options
    Suicide rate has increased 30% in the US since 1999.
    Internet and social media has been a big contributor to that.  Maybe not in this case, but definitely in many cases of more "average" people....
  • JohnInCarolina
    Options
    odie91 said:
    Internet and social media has been a big contributor to that.  Maybe not in this case, but definitely in many cases of more "average" people....
    Yeah, I don’t think Facebook is helping too much in this regard.  It paints a very skewed picture of reality.
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    odie91 said:
    Yeah, I don’t think Facebook is helping too much in this regard.  It paints a very skewed picture of reality.
    What are you talking about???? These are my Facebook Abs. Just like my real-life abs. 

• JohnInCarolina
    Options
    odie91 said:
    What are you talking about???? These are my Facebook Abs. Just like my real-life abs. 

7 minutes?
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    Ozzie_Isaac Posts: 19,107
    Options
    This is my stable of cars and my plane ...

They don’t want a population of citizens capable of critical thinking. They don’t want well informed, well educated people capable of critical thinking. They’re not interested in that. That doesn’t help them. That's against their interests. - George Carlin
  • GATraveller
    GATraveller Posts: 8,207
    Options
    odie91 said:

We have a Weiner.......

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community [...] but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots."

-Umberto Eco

2 Large
    Peachtree Corners, GA
  • SonVolt
    Options
    My 1st Facebook BGE cook...

• SSQUAL612
    SSQUAL612 Posts: 1,186
    Options
    going to read kitchen confidential again this weekend in the pool with a cocktail. 
    Pics or it didn't happen
    Tyler, TX   XL BGE 2016, KJ Classic 2019,  MES, 18.5 WSM,  Akorn Jr,  36"&17" Black Stone, Adj Rig, Woo, Grill Grates, SS Smokeware Cap, KAB,  FB 300, Thermapen 
  • SSQUAL612
    SSQUAL612 Posts: 1,186
    Options
    SonVolt said:
    My 1st Facebook BGE cook...

How's that pasture looking?  Do I need to come mow yet?
    Tyler, TX   XL BGE 2016, KJ Classic 2019,  MES, 18.5 WSM,  Akorn Jr,  36"&17" Black Stone, Adj Rig, Woo, Grill Grates, SS Smokeware Cap, KAB,  FB 300, Thermapen