Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

RIP Anthony Bourdain

Options

Comments

• bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    Options
    Certainly very sad.  Mental illness does not discriminate.  He seemed to be a good guy.  RIP
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • JohnInCarolina
    JohnInCarolina Posts: 31,057
    Options
    Just downloaded the Kitchen Confidential audiobook. Read the original twice; thought this would be a cool way to experience in his voice. 

Also saw a great AB quote on the Hot Luck Festival twitter (Ay-Ayron’s festival of all things beer and meat) today. Something like “Good Barbecue is not the answer to world peace, but it’s a good start”
    The episode of him at Franklin is something special.  It’s not often that Bourdain was at a loss for words, but he definitely was there!
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    Just downloaded the Kitchen Confidential audiobook. Read the original twice; thought this would be a cool way to experience in his voice. 

Also saw a great AB quote on the Hot Luck Festival twitter (Ay-Ayron’s festival of all things beer and meat) today. Something like “Good Barbecue is not the answer to world peace, but it’s a good start”
    The episode of him at Franklin is something special.  It’s not often that Bourdain was at a loss for words, but he definitely was there!
    I have to see that again. Greatness.
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • JohnInCarolina
    Options
    I have to admit. I was wrong about this guy. I decided to turn travel channel on yesterday and today and watched about 6 episodes in a row of No Reservations and parts unknown. I am now admitting I was wrong about him. He does genuinely seem like a nice guy. I think I foolishly made my opinion of him based on a handful of short observations years ago and I can now say I am a fan. He never talked down to anyone or made them seem beneath him when I was watching. Sad situation. And shame on me for judging him without really knowing him. Maybe I’m wrong about @JohnInCarolina too. Sorry John! =)
    First impressions are imperfect at best.  You and I got off on the wrong foot for sure man.  Peace.
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    Ozzie_Isaac Posts: 19,198
    Options
    I have to admit. I was wrong about this guy. I decided to turn travel channel on yesterday and today and watched about 6 episodes in a row of No Reservations and parts unknown. I am now admitting I was wrong about him. He does genuinely seem like a nice guy. I think I foolishly made my opinion of him based on a handful of short observations years ago and I can now say I am a fan. He never talked down to anyone or made them seem beneath him when I was watching. Sad situation. And shame on me for judging him without really knowing him. Maybe I’m wrong about @JohnInCarolina too. Sorry John! =)
     Rare that a host listens to the answers provided by their guests.  He always did.
    They don’t want a population of citizens capable of critical thinking. They don’t want well informed, well educated people capable of critical thinking. They’re not interested in that. That doesn’t help them. That's against their interests. - George Carlin
  • TEXASBGE2018
    TEXASBGE2018 Posts: 3,831
    Options
    thetrim said:
    This is the kind of stuff I'm going to miss. The guy was real in a world of smoke and mirrors. 
    https://youtu.be/cX_kbIVxl_o
    Dang Waffle House perfected the 1/2”steak before that dude we ran off did!
    Hahaha that’s immediately what I thought when I saw that. Poor Bluegrass never stood a chance.

Rockwall, Tx    LBGE, Minimax, 22" Blackstone, Pizza Party Bollore. Cast Iron Hoarder.

• The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    thetrim said:
    This is the kind of stuff I'm going to miss. The guy was real in a world of smoke and mirrors. 
    Hahaha that’s immediately what I thought when I saw that. Poor Bluegrass never stood a chance.
    I think that guy could (and should) have stuck around. He came in a little hot but somehow got on the radar of several folks who are not always known for sharp tongues and elbows. I didn’t follow the whole thing but it looked to me like The Natives came out swinging and never let up. I messaged him and told him to let it blow over but I think that ship done sailed. He seemed like a decent guy. Nothing wrong with being a noob with strong opinions but you had better be ready to answer the bell when things get hot. 
  • JohnInCarolina
    Options
    thetrim said:
    I think that guy could (and should) have stuck around. He came in a little hot but somehow got on the radar of several folks who are not always known for sharp tongues and elbows. I didn’t follow the whole thing but it looked to me like The Natives came out swinging and never let up. I messaged him and told him to let it blow over but I think that ship done sailed. He seemed like a decent guy. Nothing wrong with being a noob with strong opinions but you had better be ready to answer the bell when things get hot. 
    He’d been on the forum for a year...
  • Biggreenpharmacist
    Biggreenpharmacist Posts: 4,341
    edited June 2018
    Options
    I apologized on first thread and even pm’d him. Then he started the delete my account thread so I joined in the fun. 

Little Rock, AR

• The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    I have no problems with the way it turned out. Just seemed like it escalated quickly. I think I played along on the delete my account thread. Those are like “moth to a flame” for me. 
  • Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,527
    Options
    JohnInCarolina said:
    I have to see that again. Greatness.
    Damn, that's one episode I haven't seen!  Will have to look that up.  

I'm watching his last episode right now, Berlin, and again it hurts ('specially the Bowie section).  

"Commander, say hello to Cricket!"  - KN

• Ozzie_Isaac
    Ozzie_Isaac Posts: 19,198
    edited June 2018
    Options
    Re-watching his shows, I am struck by the intensity of them.  He never phoned it in.  Maintaining that for years on end would wear anyone down.  He shared so much of himself with us, in the end there was nothing left for himself.

Very sad and lonely ending.
    They don’t want a population of citizens capable of critical thinking. They don’t want well informed, well educated people capable of critical thinking. They’re not interested in that. That doesn’t help them. That's against their interests. - George Carlin
  • GrillSgt
    GrillSgt Posts: 2,507
    Options
    Bravo
  • DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    Options
    "I just wish that more Americans have passports" - AB

I have one and don't use it enough. 
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • thetrim
    thetrim Posts: 11,366
    Options
    DMW said:
    "I just wish that more Americans have passports" - AB

I have one and don't use it enough. 
    Buy less cooking devices.  
    =======================================
    XL 6/06, Mini 6/12, L 10/12, Mini #2 12/14 MiniMax 3/16 Large #2 11/20 Legacy from my FIL - RIP
    Tampa Bay, FL
    EIB 6 Oct 95
  • milesvdustin
    milesvdustin Posts: 2,882
    Options
    Anthony Bourdain talked about pho as his favorite food. Mine too. He is the reason I tried Vietnamese food in the first place

2 LBGE, Blackstone 36, Jumbo Joe

Egging in Southern Illinois (Marion)

• gdenby
    gdenby Posts: 6,239
    Options
     He was relentless on Emeril, Rachael Ray, Guy Fieri, and many others while doing the exact same thing they were. I was glad to see him move away from that and land where he did. 

He started out pretty much ripping on most of the "celebrity" chefs. After Emeril came to the aid of his staff after Katrina, Tony publicly apologized to him. Kept razzing Rachel, but she kept sending flowers. Ragged on Alton Brown, until his daughter changed his mind. Don't know that he ever stopped having fun at Guy's expense. Bourdain had a great story about meeting, I forget her name, the woman who did "Semi-Homemade." He was at some fancy party, and she walks up to him with her new boy friend, who was I think New York attorney general. She wagged her finger at him and said "You've been a very very naughty boy," and gave him a wicked grin. Bourdain thought his previous illegalities had just caught up with him.
  • jonnymack
    jonnymack Posts: 627
    Options
    This one really bummed me out. I was a huge Bourdain fan and his presence will be missed. He really showed that no matter where you are, good people can be found and generally around a table breaking bread together. His Iran episode should be required viewing for any American, makes you realize that they are people too over there. Really enjoyed Kitchen Confidential. Feel awful for his daughter. Just really crappy news all the way around. 
    Firing up the BGE in Covington, GA

• The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    gdenby said:
     He was relentless on Emeril, Rachael Ray, Guy Fieri, and many others while doing the exact same thing they were. I was glad to see him move away from that and land where he did. 

He started out pretty much ripping on most of the "celebrity" chefs. After Emeril came to the aid of his staff after Katrina, Tony publicly apologized to him. Kept razzing Rachel, but she kept sending flowers. Ragged on Alton Brown, until his daughter changed his mind. Don't know that he ever stopped having fun at Guy's expense. Bourdain had a great story about meeting, I forget her name, the woman who did "Semi-Homemade." He was at some fancy party, and she walks up to him with her new boy friend, who was I think New York attorney general. She wagged her finger at him and said "You've been a very very naughty boy," and gave him a wicked grin. Bourdain thought his previous illegalities had just caught up with him.
    That’s a great story. I saw that a while back too. I think her name is Sandra Lee? That show was dreadful. She may have deserved it. 
  • thetrim
    thetrim Posts: 11,366
    Options
    This is an interesting read.  I think he saved his best stuff for celeb chefs.   

https://www.thrillist.com/eat/nation/anthony-bourdain-celebrity-chef-feuds
    =======================================
    XL 6/06, Mini 6/12, L 10/12, Mini #2 12/14 MiniMax 3/16 Large #2 11/20 Legacy from my FIL - RIP
    Tampa Bay, FL
    EIB 6 Oct 95
  • blasting
    blasting Posts: 6,262
    Options
    thetrim said:

Hopefully someone else picks up AB's mantle of calling out all the big-hat-no-cattle celeb chefs.  
    Phoenix 
  • billt01
    billt01 Posts: 1,543
    Options
    thetrim said:

almost seems as if he used these little tirades to self medicate and validate, it didn't work..

All the chefs he was "giving the beans" to are still kicking, so there's that..

Can one be a genius with a mental illness? I guess so but I'd rather be on the receiving end of one of his "soon forgotten" reviews, than dead....
    Have:
     XLBGE / Stumps Baby XL / Couple of Stokers (Gen 1 and Gen 3) / Blackstone 36 / Maxey 3x5 water pan hog cooker
    Had:
    LBGE / Lang 60D / Cookshack SM150 / Stumps Stretch / Stumps Baby

Fat Willies BBQ
    Ola, Ga

• billt01
    billt01 Posts: 1,543
    edited June 2018
    Options
    billt01 said:
    thetrim said:

almost seems as if he used these little tirades to self medicate and validate, it didn't work..

All the chefs he was "giving the beans" to are still kicking, so there's that..

Can one be a genius with a mental illness? I guess so but I'd rather be on the receiving end of one of his "soon forgotten" reviews, than dead....
    Every man dies.  Not every man really lives.
    i guess he didn't like the way he was "really livin'"

"It would appear the strain was more than he could bear"
    Have:
     XLBGE / Stumps Baby XL / Couple of Stokers (Gen 1 and Gen 3) / Blackstone 36 / Maxey 3x5 water pan hog cooker
    Had:
    LBGE / Lang 60D / Cookshack SM150 / Stumps Stretch / Stumps Baby

Fat Willies BBQ
    Ola, Ga

• The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    thetrim said:

spit coffee out on his rip on Guy: 

He's referred to Fieri's Times Square restaurant as a "terror dome," gleefully ripped on the dude's love of Nickelback, and claimed you'd get Fieri's clone "if Ed Hardy f*cked a juggalo." 
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    gdenby said:

From the link @thetrim posted. Hilarious. 

Sandra Lee

The history: The only person who even comes close to Fieri on the Bourdain spectrum of scorn is Sandra Lee. He's called her "pure evil" and the "hellspawn of Betty Crocker and Charles Manson," and he takes issue with her heavy reliance on store-bought ingredients (i.e. canned frostings), which led to a spectacular meltdown over her now-infamous Kwanzaa cake. The "eye-searing" disaster made him "mad for all humanity," and several years later, he's still not over it.
    Have they made up? In Medium Raw, Bourdain tells a bizarre story of Lee approaching him at the Julie & Julia premiere after-party. She apparently snuck up behind him, started groping his waist, and told him he'd been a "bad boy" for trash-talking her in the press. He summed up the whole incident as "closer to Cape Fear" than erotic. Sooooo, maybe?

• JohnInCarolina
    Options
    Man he had a way with words and insults.