Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Meat Run

Options

Comments

• The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    20stone said:
    The Cen-Tex Smoker said:
    It is a ton of work. If I didn't work at home I don't think I could pull it off. Not everyone can just go downstairs and throw a pasture raised chicken salad together or fire up a bge for lunch or have grass fed smash burgers off a blackstone on a whim.

Plus all the curing, butchery, and bread making etc. I like doing all that stuff and have time but It's not for everyone.  We spend a lot of time cooking and cleaning. 

@20stonespice has been a champ as we have done our thing, and we also cook up a ton on Sundays getting ahead of the game.  I went to WF yesterday, and came out of the store with 6 bags of produce.  The most processed things I had were cheese and yogurt.  Everything else was one ingredient.
    I'm right there with you. It is nice to have a freezer full of pasture raised pork too :)

Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • OhioEgger
    OhioEgger Posts: 901
    Options
    Thank you for the nudge. I have to start doing more shopping at the farmer's markets around here.
    Cincinnati, Ohio. Large BGE since 2011. Still learning.
  • gonepostal
    gonepostal Posts: 711
    Options
    @The Cen-Tex Smoker i've been getting into this as well. But my choices seem to be limited in Alabama. I have 2 farmers that i can get product from either directly or at the farmer market's starting in April. The ground beef has been phenomonal so far, but for the price of the steaks, i have been disappointed with the tenderness. Haven't tried chicken and pork yet but that is available at the markets. 

I'm giving these guys a second chance on the steaks this year, but will be sticking to ground beef only if they let me down again...
    Wetumpka, Alabama
    LBGE and MM
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    @The Cen-Tex Smoker i've been getting into this as well. But my choices seem to be limited in Alabama. I have 2 farmers that i can get product from either directly or at the farmer market's starting in April. The ground beef has been phenomonal so far, but for the price of the steaks, i have been disappointed with the tenderness. Haven't tried chicken and pork yet but that is available at the markets. 

I'm giving these guys a second chance on the steaks this year, but will be sticking to ground beef only if they let me down again...
    My least favorite thing of all of it are grass fed steaks. they are gamey and don't have much marbling. I love the ground beef but not a huge fan of the steaks. I'm trying some of the Wagyu producers in my area as well as some of the pasture raised that are grass fed but grain finished. Staying away from any corn finished or feedlot cows. Looking for that sweet spot...
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options

My least favorite thing of all of it are grass fed steaks. they are gamey and don't have much marbling. I love the ground beef but not a huge fan of the steaks. I'm trying some of the Wagyu producers in my area as well as some of the pasture raised that are grass fed but grain finished. Staying away from any corn finished or feedlot cows. Looking for that sweet spot...
    I don't have any grassfed/finished steaks in that pic above. The ground bison was. The rest is grass fed/grain finished Wagyu. I found another wagyu guy who is bringing me some skirt steaks and ground beef this afternoon. They are pasture raise but grain finished as well. I have a freezer full of grassfed steaks that I don't like. Looking for something to do with them. Probably do some stir fry or something that adds some other flavors to them. 
  • Woodchunk
    Woodchunk Posts: 911
    edited March 2018
    Options

I have a family member who bought an angus cow a couple months ago, all grass fed(100%pasture raised) and no grain or additives. It's very lean, I tried a couple pounds of the ground and it's ok but does not have the flavor of 80/20. He also said the briskets are really small. 
  • gonepostal
    Options

I don't have any grassfed/finished steaks in that pic above. The ground bison was. The rest is grass fed/grain finished Wagyu. I found another wagyu guy who is bringing me some skirt steaks and ground beef this afternoon. They are pasture raise but grain finished as well. I have a freezer full of grassfed steaks that I don't like. Looking for something to do with them. Probably do some stir fry or something that adds some other flavors to them. 
    One of my guys actually works about a mile from my mail route and raises wagyu cattle at home. So...we've been known to meet in a parking lot for a beef sale during the day! While we love ribeyes, we are getting away from the "glory" cuts lately. I have never thought to ask him what he feeds his cows but i will the next time that i see him. 

We have been using any extra or unwanted beef and having a "chinese" night roughly once a month. I either use my own sauce or buy the PF Changs bottles at Walmart. 
    Wetumpka, Alabama
    LBGE and MM
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    The Cen-Tex Smoker Posts: 22,967
    edited March 2018
    Options

One of my guys actually works about a mile from my mail route and raises wagyu cattle at home. So...we've been known to meet in a parking lot for a beef sale during the day! While we love ribeyes, we are getting away from the "glory" cuts lately. I have never thought to ask him what he feeds his cows but i will the next time that i see him. 

We have been using any extra or unwanted beef and having a "chinese" night roughly once a month. I either use my own sauce or buy the PF Changs bottles at Walmart. 
    glory cuts are overrated and here the wagyu ribeyes/strips/filets are $50lb! No thanks. I actually prefer a good flank, skirt, or flap anyway. Way more flavor and texture if you do them right. 
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    Woodchunk said:

I have a family member who bought an angus cow a couple months ago, all grass fed(100%pasture raised) and no grain or additives. It's very lean, I tried a couple pounds of the ground and it's ok but does not have the flavor of 80/20. He also said the briskets are really small. 
    that's what I see as well. The grass fed guys I love out here do better than anyone else but they are always sold out these days. The finish on unsprouted barley and they say it's loaded with protein and fat so the cows marble out better than when on just grass. I think they are right but the big cuts are still grassy and pretty lean.
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    Had the 100% wagyu burgers tonight. Wow! That is some incredible beef. It’s better than all the grass fed I’ve had. Im really trying to eat more 100% grass fed but there is a clear difference in flavor with the grain finish. I may just eat less and eat the good stuff :) 
  • JohnInCarolina
    JohnInCarolina Posts: 30,954
    Options
    Had the 100% wagyu burgers tonight. Wow! That is some incredible beef. It’s better than all the grass fed I’ve had. Im really trying to eat more 100% grass fed but there is a clear difference in flavor with the grain finish. I may just eat less and eat the good stuff :) 
    Moderation is key, my son.
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    Moderation is key, my son.
    Yeah. Im not good at that. 
  • Focker
    Focker Posts: 8,364
    edited March 2018
    Options
    Good call.
    Similar to the lean whitetail and the sage like flavor of deer who feed on brush and foliage down there vs the deer up north who have an all you can eat boofay of corn and beans, there is a difference in both flavor and texture.

My buddy from Bama who is here just commented tonight again on the flavorless pork down south.  He's a true foodie with a great palate , so I value his honest assessment.

Always got a kick out of my buddy Ripnem's sig line, it's true...
    Know fat, know flavor.
    No fat, no flavor.
    Brandon
    Quad Cities
    "If yer gonna denigrate, familiarity with the subject is helpful."

• caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    Options
    Focker said

My buddy from Bama who is here just commented tonight again on the flavorless pork down south.  
    We’ve hated on pork down here (until getting in on raising our own ) ever since we moved out of IA. The pork here is just one measure above eating sponge. 

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • Focker
    Focker Posts: 8,364
    edited March 2018
    Options
    caliking said:
    Focker said

My buddy from Bama who is here just commented tonight again on the flavorless pork down south.  
    We’ve hated on pork down here (until getting in on raising our own ) ever since we moved out of IA. The pork here is just one measure above eating sponge. 
    I'm glad you chimed in cali, because I value your opinion/palate as well, you've actually had both meat and veg, and recall your replies on this subject.  Kudos to the pork project y'all embraced with the hard work.  As with most everything food related, DIY is the best quality control...except for Hardee's scratch biscuits and sausage gravy on easy Sunday mornings.  :)
    Brandon
    Quad Cities
    "If yer gonna denigrate, familiarity with the subject is helpful."

• The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    Now it’s just getting weird. This guy has a wagyu ranch in N. TX but lives 3 minutes from me. Just did a shady Facebook meat deal at the park while his daughters were playing on the playscape. $6 lb for 100% wagyu ground and $12.50 lb for skirt and flat iron. 

Everyone in the house agrees that last nights 100% wagyu burgers were the best beef we have have ever done burgers with. 

I have a brisket and and a chicken coming from the Rosso and Flynn place Sunday and 2 fat pigs headed to slaughter Friday.I need more freezer. 

• bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    Options
    Now it’s just getting weird. This guy has a wagyu ranch in N. TX but lives 3 minutes from me. Just did a shady Facebook meat deal at the park while his daughters were playing on the playscape. $6 lb for 100% wagyu ground and $12.50 lb for skirt and flat iron. 

Everyone in the house agrees that last nights 100% wagyu burgers were the best beef we have have ever done burgers with. 

I have a brisket and and a chicken coming from the Rosso and Flynn place Sunday and 2 fat pigs headed to slaughter Friday.I need more freezer. 

Damn!  Beef looks incredible along with the price.  Great FB weird meet score.
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    bgebrent said:

Damn!  Beef looks incredible along with the price.  Great FB weird meet score.
    I know. There are a lot of guys who jumped on the Wagyu bandwagon around here a few years ago and it seems all those cows are hitting the beef market now all at the same time. I've noticed that they are a lot more eager to cut a deal if you take some volume. They were insane when they first came out. I paid $40lb for chuck steaks last year (they sucked). Ground beef was $15, dropped to $10, and now I got this for $6. That is a steal and so is $12.50 for the steaks. It's getting down to half (or even less) what it was last year and that is way more in my comfort zone. 
  • caliking
    Options
    Daaayum. That's a nice haul. 

We both know a guy with a commercial refrigeration fetish... 

• The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    caliking said:

He is too far from me and not trustworthy with meat storage. 
  • JohnInCarolina
    JohnInCarolina Posts: 30,954
    Options

This guy selling this stuff out of the back of his van by any chance?  Were speakers also available?
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • caliking
    Options
    Your guerilla beef barons better be skeered...

McDonald's to switch to fresh beef in US restaurants -

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-43304995

• The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options

This guy selling this stuff out of the back of his van by any chance?  Were speakers also available?
    It was a late model Toyota Avalon. Very Legit. 
  • gonepostal
    Options
    That Flat Iron looks like the truth! Glad to hear about the burgers. You've found a keeper with that source. I was checking prices at the grocery store yesterday and saw $5+ for their 80/20. You got a steal!
    Wetumpka, Alabama
    LBGE and MM
  • jeffwit
    jeffwit Posts: 1,348
    Options
     and 2 fat pigs headed to slaughter Friday.I need more freezer. 

Another AW/SS this weekend? Sweet! Please take some video of the loading process. 
    Jefferson, GA
    XL BGE, MM, Things to flip meat over and stuff
    Wife, 3 kids, 5 dogs, 4 cats, 12 chickens, 2 goats, 2 pigs. 
    “Honey, we bought a farm.”
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    jeffwit said:
     and 2 fat pigs headed to slaughter Friday.I need more freezer. 

Another AW/SS this weekend? Sweet! Please take some video of the loading process. 
    I misspoke. Next weekend actually. Going to slaughter next Wednesday and picked up next Friday. 
  • 20stone
    20stone Posts: 1,961
    Options
    caliking said:

My rates are VERY reasonable. 
    (now only 16 stone)

Joule SV
    GE induction stove
    Gasser by the community pool (currently unavailable)
    Scale (which one of my friends refuses to use)
    Friends with BGEs and myriad other fired devices (currently unavail IRL)
    Occasional access to a KBQ and Webber Kettle
    Charcuterie and sourdough enthusiast
    Prosciuttos in an undisclosed location

Austin, TX
  • bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    Options
    20stone said:
    caliking said:

My rates are VERY reasonable. 
    Seems it's pinned on "trustworthiness".  Seems legit. ;)
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options