Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

OT - Mass shootings and gun control - OT

Hans61
Hans61 Posts: 3,901
“There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body.”
Coach Finstock Teen Wolf

Comments

• Gulfcoastguy
    Gulfcoastguy Posts: 6,286
    Let’s wait and see what existing gun laws were broken? Besides that little multiple homicide one that is.
  • Hans61
    This should go well.
    I hope people listen to the whole 15minutes, what are the chances?
    “There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body.”
    Coach Finstock Teen Wolf
  • 4Runner
    4Runner Posts: 2,948
    GC works great as the law abiding citizens will certainly comply.  If we can just get the criminals to comply with the laws then...oh wait, they are criminals.  Never mind.

Seriously  - I thought I heard this SOB used fully auto...those are already illegal.     
    Joe - I'm a reformed gasser-holic aka 4Runner Columbia, SC Wonderful BGE Resource Site: http://www.nakedwhiz.com/ceramicfaq.htm and http://www.nibblemethis.com/  and http://playingwithfireandsmoke.blogspot.com/2006/02/recipes.html
    What am I drinking now?   Woodford....neat
  • 4Runner said:
    GC works great as the law abiding citizens will certainly comply.  If we can just get the criminals to comply with the laws then...oh wait, they are criminals.  Never mind.

They've been effective in Australia, where the guy in the posted video is from.   I guess it's because they don't have any criminals down there.  
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • HeavyG
    HeavyG Posts: 10,324
    4Runner said:

Seriously  - I thought I heard this SOB used fully auto...those are already illegal.     
    Not necessarily, there are a couple of exceptions.
    “Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• 4Runner
    edited October 2017
    4Runner said:

They've been effective in Australia, where the guy in the posted video is from.   I guess it's because they don't have any criminals down there.  
    He is a comic and I believe he used the term mass....he is excluding every other crime with a gun in his country.  I think he is trying to be funny.  Also, like he points out....countries are different.  
    Joe - I'm a reformed gasser-holic aka 4Runner Columbia, SC Wonderful BGE Resource Site: http://www.nakedwhiz.com/ceramicfaq.htm and http://www.nibblemethis.com/  and http://playingwithfireandsmoke.blogspot.com/2006/02/recipes.html
  • 4Runner
    edited October 2017

HeavyG said:
    4Runner said:

Not necessarily, there are a couple of exceptions.
    sure...exception to every "rule"  I'm sure there are more than a couple.  And I do agree you must meet certain requirements before legally purchasing a weapon....for any reason.   
  • Woodchunk
    Woodchunk Posts: 911
    Hans61 said:
    This should go well.
    If you make a connection to cooking on the green egg, maybe.

• Hans61
    Woodchunk said:
    Hans61 said:
    This should go well.
    If you make a connection to cooking on the green egg, maybe.

Pretty sure I followed off topic protocol - this place has turned into more than just cooking tips for me 
    Coach Finstock Teen Wolf
  • 4Runner said:
    4Runner said:

He is a comic and I believe he used the term mass....he is excluding every other crime with a gun in his country.  I think he is trying to be funny.  Also, like he points out....countries are different.  
    I don't doubt our ability as a nation to come up with any and all excuses to avoid passing stricter gun control laws.  If 20 6-7 year olds getting killed in an elementary school didn't effect change, it is hard to imagine what will.
  • NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    Too soon man. 
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • 4Runner
    4Runner said:
    4Runner said:

I don't doubt our ability as a nation to come up with any and all excuses to avoid passing stricter gun control laws.  If 20 6-7 year olds getting killed in an elementary school didn't effect change, it is hard to imagine what will.
    I just don't think it will help fix these poor deranged people.  We want the same thing.....just don't know the answer.    
  • Hans61
    Too soon man. 
    Been about 24hrs right?
    Coach Finstock Teen Wolf
  • 4Runner said:
    4Runner said:
    4Runner said:

I just don't think it will help fix these poor deranged people.  We want the same thing.....just don't know the answer.    
    Very possible it wouldn't.  But if you understand statistics and data, you know that fewer guns would generally translate into fewer gun deaths, accidental shootings, all kinds of things.

Not that it matters.  The public generally agrees on stronger and more comprehensive background checks, and we can't even get that passed.
  • NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    Hans61 said:
    Too soon man. 
    Been about 24hrs right?
    You're right.  I'm sure nobody amongst us could have possibly had a loved one in Vegas.  Carry the **** on fucksticks! Truthfully this whole thing makes me ill. 
    Sorry for calling y'all fucksticks. 
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • "Brought to you by bourbon, bacon, and a series of questionable life decisions."

South of Nashville, TN

• stlcharcoal
    stlcharcoal Posts: 4,684
    4Runner said:

Machine guns are not illegal, they're just highly regulated.  No one can manufacturer or import transferrable ones since May 1986, so there's a limited number of them out there for non-dealers.  You're looking at a minimum of $10K to get one, with most being in the $20K neighborhood.  Since the National Firearms Act of 1938 (Title II of the GCA), any transfer incurs $200 tax stamp, then there's fingerprints, photos, background checks, chief law enforcement notification / sign offs, etc.....all of which averages about a 10-12 month wait right now.  In the last 80 years of the NFA, I believe there have been TWO crimes committed with legally owned/transferred/registered machine guns--and they were both committed by police officers who stole those two guns.  The NFA coverers suppressors (AKA: "silencers"), SBR's, SBS's, AOW's, etc.  It is EXTREMELY rare of any of these items to get used in any ill-manner, as the owner is taking so much time, care, money, and LIABILITY to acquire and own them legally.

Listening to the video though, it really doesn't sound like "full auto" machine gun.  It sounds like a semi-auto with some sort of device installed on it.  Full auto is usually 800-900 rounds a minute and that sounds a lot slower than that.

• 4Runner
    Well it just plain sucks and is sad and terrible.  I think we all can agree on that.  
  • Hans61
    shtgunal3 said:
    4Runner said:
    4Runner said:
    4Runner said:

Very possible it wouldn't.  But if you understand statistics and data, you know that fewer guns would generally translate into fewer gun deaths, accidental shootings, all kinds of things.

Not that it matters.  The public generally agrees on stronger and more comprehensive background checks, and we can't even get that passed.
    I normally don't comment on threads such as these but what the hell.

Maybe what you should say is "fewer CRIMINALS with guns would generally translate into fewer gun deaths". I'm just a dumb old country boy from Alabama who has about 20+ guns  (all bought legally) and I've never killed a single person.

That is all. Carry on.
    The video/audio addresses that comment 
    Coach Finstock Teen Wolf
  • shtgunal3 said:
    4Runner said:
    4Runner said:
    4Runner said:

Maybe what you should say is "fewer CRIMINALS with guns would generally translate into fewer gun deaths". I'm just a dumb old country boy from Alabama who has about 20+ guns  (all bought legally) and I've never killed a single person.

That is all. Carry on.
    @shtgunal3, you are totally wrong. Chicago has the strictest gun laws in the country, and look at the low number of gun crimes there. Oh... wait.
  • shtgunal3 said:
    4Runner said:
    4Runner said:
    4Runner said:

That is all. Carry on.
    Look up the number of gun deaths that occur in the US on any given day.  If you honestly think they're all caused by criminals, well, good luck to you.
  • g8golfer
    g8golfer Posts: 1,025
    News radio said he used an AR15 that was modified to be full automatic. Not sure if it was CNN or Fox but that was what was reported. 
  • JNDATHP
    JNDATHP Posts: 461
    The shooter was reported to have used a bumping device on a semi-automatic rifle(s). With this kind of device, one can rapidly fire a semi-automatic. 

As for Australia, when all guns were outlawed, including antiques, a new type of crime, one that the country had not before seen emerged: home invasion. 
    Michael
    Large BGE
    Reno, NV
  • bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    4Runner said:

Machine guns are not illegal, they're just highly regulated.  No one can manufacturer or import transferrable ones since May 1986, so there's a limited number of them out there for non-dealers.  You're looking at a minimum of $10K to get one, with most being in the $20K neighborhood.  Since the National Firearms Act of 1938 (Title II of the GCA), any transfer incurs $200 tax stamp, then there's fingerprints, photos, background checks, chief law enforcement notification / sign offs, etc.....all of which averages about a 10-12 month wait right now.  In the last 80 years of the NFA, I believe there have been TWO crimes committed with legally owned/transferred/registered machine guns--and they were both committed by police officers who stole those two guns.  The NFA coverers suppressors (AKA: "silencers"), SBR's, SBS's, AOW's, etc.  It is EXTREMELY rare of any of these items to get used in any ill-manner, as the owner is taking so much time, care, money, and LIABILITY to acquire and own them legally.

Listening to the video though, it really doesn't sound like "full auto" machine gun.  It sounds like a semi-auto with some sort of device installed on it.  Full auto is usually 800-900 rounds a minute and that sounds a lot slower than that.

May have had a "bump" gun configuration.  Sickening no matter what.  However, the notion that restricting gun sales will change our trajectory is flawed.  Background checks, maybe. The guns are already out there.  The horse is out of the barn.  There is no reasonable/imaginable law that would've prevented this.  One in 3 households is armed.  The overarching issue is that with almost all of these mass shootings, mental illness is the underlying cause.  Tough fix.  No legislation is going to fix the problem and the push for such is political brinksmanship BS.  Enforcing current law would be good.  Better public/private funding for mental illness might help some.  Tragic.
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • JNDATHP said:
    The shooter was reported to have used a bumping device on a semi-automatic rifle(s). With this kind of device, one can rapidly fire a semi-automatic. 

As for Australia, when all guns were outlawed, including antiques, a new type of crime, one that the country had not before seen emerged: home invasion. 
    How many people die each year in Australia from home invasions?