Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

We drive on the left and health care is free.

Options
Ever wondered what the “n” in fish’n’chips - or the “a” in cuppa stands for?  Perhaps you know what a fortnight is and Bob is your Uncle?   Either way, I offer this discussion as a repository for answers to questions you have never thought of, about all things British.

I’ll kick off with a few images to set the tone.  

Is “Britain” even a place?

Separated by a common language;  **** Van Dyke in the film Mary Poppins invented a whole new brand of English accent that has since been deported to Australia where it belongs,  otherwise have fun on YouTube with these;

Translation guide, I printed copy of this when on deployment with international colleagues;

Things we like to do;
A nice cup of Rosie (albeit with no milk - which is not to be encouraged);

At our happiest; queuing in the rain. It gives us plenty of opportunity to bemoan any number non-specific issues without any danger of suggesting a remark which might possibly offend the person next to us that we have never met before, or will again. (NB: the talking part does not happen in the South East of England or London; such behaviour, including eye contact of any kind is tantamount to Witchcraft and avoided at all costs)  

How we spend most of the “Summer” - and some people playing cricket in front of that particular pub.

A chap you may recognise?  He has been variously popular and derided by all elements on our population at various times. Currently hanging on to last vestiges of fame and essentially inconsequential. 

How are young people like to spend their time,  known as Bing Drinkers by some - but I prefer Evening Economy Enthusiasts. Largely inoffensive towards all life forms except for any within a 200 yard radius, the emergency services, themselves and anyone who knows them, sees them, hears them etc etc. 

Please note; I have specifically avoided any reference to Simon Cowell and Piers Morgan, I request you respect my decision and we never speak of them again.

Other girls may try to take me away 
But you know, it's by your side I will stay

Comments

• Kcheves
    Options
    Free health care? Pffft.  We’re working on something waaaaaayyyyy better than that.  Any day now.

"Semper ubi sub ubi"

San Diego, CA

• CPFC1905
    CPFC1905 Posts: 1,863
    Options
    Same day we admit to being European?  
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,766
    Options
    very interesting =)
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Foghorn
    Foghorn Posts: 9,843
    Options
    Do your comments about Beckham reflect that you are not a Man U fan?

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• CPFC1905
    Options
    Foghorn said:
    No, although the appointment of Jose Mourinho is a desperate effort by them to lure me in - but I am standing firm.  
    I do live in the Man U heartland of Sussex, not far from the Surrey border.
    I am, in delusional fashion, hoping they lose handsomely on Saturday. 
  • jeffwit
    jeffwit Posts: 1,348
    Options

So, exactly what time is tea?

Jefferson, GA
    XL BGE, MM, Things to flip meat over and stuff
    Wife, 3 kids, 5 dogs, 4 cats, 12 chickens, 2 goats, 2 pigs. 
    “Honey, we bought a farm.”
  • SoCalTim
    SoCalTim Posts: 2,158
    edited September 2017
    Options
    Hey! This is a BBQ forum, not a health care forum. Yes - I Flagged you!
    I've slow smoked and eaten so much pork, I'm legally recognized as being part swine - Chatsworth Ca.
  • CPFC1905
    Options
    jeffwit said:

Good question;
    1) There is always time for a brew (make a cup of tea)
    2) Afternoon tea is taken between luncheon and dinner,  that's the type of tea taken with sandwiches and cake. For reference its 3.40 pm during a cricket match.
    3) When your Mum calls you in from playing outdoors, albeit "tea" in that sense is actually dinner.
    Simple enough.  :s
  • CPFC1905
    Options
    henapple said:
    Nothing is free. 
    Yep - while there is no point of service charges, a separate mandatory income linked tax; "National Insurance", is paid by all employees and employers  theoretically to fund the entire welfare system.  Plus there is a standard fee per  prescription for medication.    

OK - back on topic, do you know what a fortnight is?  And why do you drop the "u" from colour?  You do know it's now official Autumn as well?
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,766
    Options
    CPFC1905 said:
    henapple said:
    Nothing is free. 
    Yep - while there is no point of service charges, a separate mandatory income linked tax; "National Insurance", is paid by all employees and employers  theoretically to fund the entire welfare system.  Plus there is a standard fee per  prescription for medication.    

OK - back on topic, do you know what a fortnight is?  And why do you drop the "u" from colour?  You do know it's now official Autumn as well?
    we dont add extra vowels, it separates us from the french canadians ;)
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,384
    Options
    I'm good with fortnight.  Is "hoovering" still a meaningful term in the UK?
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • CPFC1905
    Options
    CPFC1905 said:
    henapple said:
    Nothing is free. 

we dont add extra vowels, it separates us from the french canadians ;)
    Love Canadians, worked with quite a few a while ago and caught myself saying "oot" and "huse".   I don't speak much French - but I found the Canadian version really hard to tune in with.  All terribly polite though, and clean - too. :)
  • CPFC1905
    Options
    lousubcap said:
    Good work,  yes - still standard terminology.  It has not been overtaken by Dyson-ing or Vax-ing - or any other variant.  It is a moment of revelation for most people when the realise it's a trade name.  Like cocaine.  The trade name bit not the "moment of revelation" bit.
  • SciAggie
    SciAggie Posts: 6,481
    edited September 2017
    Options
    Why is it called the "loo"?

In the spirit of a cooking forum:
    Do you bake your scones in the oven or cook them on a griddle?
    How popular is Yorkshire pudding among natives? Is it made with pan drippings from a roast?
    What's the deal with peas? They seem to be served with a lot of dishes.
    Is bread pudding on your side of the pond similar to ours (particularly in the Southern US)?
    Is a Lancashire Hotpot similar to Shepard's Pie except fro the manner of treating the potatoes? Which is most popular? Is lamb or beef the preferred protein?

Coleman, Texas
    Large BGE & Mini Max for the wok. A few old camp Dutch ovens and a wood fired oven. LSG 24” cabinet offset smoker. There are a few paella pans and a Patagonia cross in the barn. A curing chamber for bacterial transformation of meats...
    "Bourbon slushies. Sure you can cook on the BGE without them, but why would you?"
                                                                                                                          YukonRon
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    Options
    Thanks for the post. Enjoyable 

Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• Eoin
    Eoin Posts: 4,304
    Options
    Foghorn said:
    Man Poo in this house.
  • Eoin
    Options
    jeffwit said:

Between dinner and supper. @CPFC1905 is a bit of a soft southerner, hence the reference to afternoon tea. Tea is your evening meal.
  • Eoin
    Options
    CPFC1905 said:
    henapple said:
    Nothing is free. 

How can it be autumn when there's cricket still on?
  • Eoin
    Options
    lousubcap said:
    It is here. Do you still use it?
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,384
    Options
    Hoovering was never a term associated with "vacuuming" on this side of the pond, even though Hoover made vacuum cleaners.  
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Eoin
    Options
    SciAggie said:

How popular is Yorkshire pudding among natives? Is it made with pan drippings from a roast?
    Is bread pudding on your side of the pond similar to ours (particularly in the Southern US)?
    Is a Lancashire Hotpot similar to Shepard's Pie except fro the manner of treating the potatoes? Which is most popular? Is lamb or beef the preferred protein?

No idea on loo.

Scones in the oven. Is that what you call a biscuit? Other varieties like bakestones are done on a griddle.

Yorkshire pudding is really popular. Again, as a soft southerner, @CPFC1905 may disagree. Should be cooked in dripping (beef fat) or goose fat if you're posh. Served with gravy. Or anything really.

Peas are just a good veg. Especially with pie and mint sauce.

Shepherds pie is made with minced (ground) lamb and hotpot with pieces of lamb. Lamb and beef are both popular.
  • GATraveller
    Options
    Why do British people sound American when they sing?  

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community [...] but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots."

-Umberto Eco

2 Large
    Peachtree Corners, GA
  • Eoin
    Options
    Because they are trying to sell themselves to the US market.
  • gdenby
    gdenby Posts: 6,239
    Options
    Know a little about England. Dad was billeted in Marston Magna during WW2, with a family named the Apseys. He was quite taken with the daughter, Brenda.  They remained friends after he returned home, and married. Every year the families exchanged Christmas letters, and pictures. She and her hubby came and visited a few times when they went to Canada to visit other family members. Still have a few pictures of the family in my keepsakes.

One of Dad's stories was that when he arrived in the home, he was offered a pint of cider. It was really good, and cool. The Mr. asked if he'd like another. He had another, then stood up, and nearly fell over. Didn't know cider in England was usually "hard" and he'd never had a drink before. =)

• CPFC1905
    Options
    SciAggie said:

@Eoin is bang on the money there.  And, a handy tip; Shepherds Pie = lamb,  Cottage Pie = beef.

Beef is the staple meat option here,  lamb is bit more expensive - so less frequently taken for Sunday Lunch.  However, it unwittingly forms a major component of the "post-pub" diet, being the (alleged) source meat for doner kebabs.   
  • CPFC1905
    Options
    Try this : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wOSseI1hao8   

• CPFC1905
    Options
    gdenby said:
    Know a little about England. Dad was billeted in Marston Magna during WW2, with a family named the Apseys. He was quite taken with the daughter, Brenda.  They remained friends after he returned home, and married. Every year the families exchanged Christmas letters, and pictures. She and her hubby came and visited a few times when they went to Canada to visit other family members. Still have a few pictures of the family in my keepsakes.

One of Dad's stories was that when he arrived in the home, he was offered a pint of cider. It was really good, and cool. The Mr. asked if he'd like another. He had another, then stood up, and nearly fell over. Didn't know cider in England was usually "hard" and he'd never had a drink before. =)

A rite of passage, quaffing heartily at a locally produced "pint" to only later discover all motile functions are lost.  We have all done it - sometime more than once!! =)   Marston Magna is a lovely, lovely part of England, too.
  • lkapigian
    lkapigian Posts: 10,766
    Options
    lousubcap said:
    Hoovering was never a term associated with "vacuuming" on this side of the pond, even though Hoover made vacuum cleaners.  
    There were certain girls in school we named Hoover
    Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • GATraveller
    Options
    lkapigian said:
    lousubcap said:
    There were certain girls in school we named Hoover
    Because they could suck start a Harley?

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community [...] but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots."

-Umberto Eco

2 Large
    Peachtree Corners, GA