Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

OT: Hurricane Irma? OT

Comments

• @Thatgrimguy is spot on - getting recovery down there is going to be the hard part.  Like its been said, its either the turnpike to I-95 to get in or out....  Only other option would be a water-borne insertion IF there are facilities open that can handle it!!!!
    There are three ports that handle ocean going ships.  There are rail lines serving the area.
    It will be weeks before a ship will be able to dock at any of the major ports in South Florida after the storm. It took nearly 2 months here in Gulfport, MS after Katrina before we could recieve a ship. 

The rails will probably be the best bet.

I didn't mean a ship. I meant smaller boats. Columbians don't seem to need a port to bring in the goods. 
    Don't suppose humanitarians would either. 

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community [...] but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots."

-Umberto Eco

2 Large
    Peachtree Corners, GA
  • Any harbors, large or small, are likely to be full of sunken and capsized craft. But it's worth considering.
  • bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    Any harbors, large or small, are likely to be full of sunken and capsized craft. But it's worth considering.
    Coast Guard would be in charge. 
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • HeavyG
    HeavyG Posts: 10,323
    Boom-chicka-pow-wow...

“Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• bgebrent said:
    We've registered/volunteered. As long as we don't get hammered, we'll go south and help as we can. Bad things ahead of Florida. Please donate to https://operationbbqrelief.org/. Legit group. Thank you. 
    I know I'm going to have damage, but if BBQ Relief shows up, I'll volunteer and do what I can.  I'm in Coral Gables/South Miami.   Great job in Texas!

2 Large BGE, MiniMax, Miami, FL

• HeavyG said:
    Naahhh, who needs ports? The Navy will just send some of their LCAC units down from Virginia so trucks can be delivered right onto the beach. :)

I've cooked in a lot of parking lots.... All I could think when I saw that is "I want to cook on that thing!!  Rolling up with some refrigerated trucks, tents and the Grocery Cart on that bad boy would put some smiles on some faces!

XL, Small, Mini & Mini Max Green Egg, Shirley Fab Trailer, 6 gal and 2.5 gal Cajun Fryers, BlueStar 60" Range, 48" Lonestar Grillz Santa Maria, Alto Shaam 1200s, Gozney Dome, Gateway 55g Drum
  • bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    BBQBuddy said:
    bgebrent said:
    We've registered/volunteered. As long as we don't get hammered, we'll go south and help as we can. Bad things ahead of Florida. Please donate to https://operationbbqrelief.org/. Legit group. Thank you. 
    I know I'm going to have damage, but if BBQ Relief shows up, I'll volunteer and do what I can.  I'm in Coral Gables/South Miami.   Great job in Texas!

We'll have your back brother. Stay safe!
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,428
    HeavyG said:

Dumb Question:  I thought hurricanes weakened over land; wouldn't this be the best-case scenario for central and western FL (if not the east coast)?  (and if it had to hit land at all)  

"I mean, I don't just kill guys, I'm notorious for doing in houseplants."  - Maggie, Northern Exposure

• HeavyG
    HeavyG said:
    Naahhh, who needs ports? The Navy will just send some of their LCAC units down from Virginia so trucks can be delivered right onto the beach. :)

I've cooked in a lot of parking lots.... All I could think when I saw that is "I want to cook on that thing!!  Rolling up with some refrigerated trucks, tents and the Grocery Cart on that bad boy would put some smiles on some faces!

If you ever get the chance be sure to add hearing protection to your gear. Those suckers are LOUD!!
    “Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Botch said:
    HeavyG said:

Dumb Question:  I thought hurricanes weakened over land; wouldn't this be the best-case scenario for central and western FL (if not the east coast)?  (and if it had to hit land at all)  
    ThisTropicalTidbits.com guy says he's a grad student at Free Shoes U. Apparently an NHC wannabe. He may be right I guess, but not sure I'd pay much attention.

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• HeavyG
    Botch said:
    HeavyG said:

Beats me, I just thought that graphic made it look like Mr. Florida was "penetrating" Ms. Irma thus the "boom-chicka-pow-wow".

Yes, I am 12 years old. :)

• Spaghetti model as of 8am today.https://www.wunderground.com/hurricane/atlantic/2017/hurricane-irma. It looks like Unmet is the only one showing any penetration of Florida from the Gulf side.
  • HofstraJet
    HofstraJet Posts: 1,156
    Botch said:
    HeavyG said:

They weaken, but slowly. Look at how far Harvey made it before dissipating.

I'm in SE Florida about 20 miles from the coast right near the Everglades. Changed the oil and did a test run on the generators yesterday. Got 100 gallons of ethanol free gas for them earlier this week. Shutters will be closed tomorrow. Working on bringing everything inside today. And an 8# butt is on the egg to make pulled pork for storm night along with emptying the wine cellar.

Family is coming to our house as we are the most prepared.

Will try to keep everyone updated.
    Two Large Eggs, 6 gal Cajun Fryer, and a MiniMax in Charlotte, NC - My New Table
    Twitter: @ Bags
    Blog: TheJetsFan.com
  • Foghorn
    Foghorn Posts: 9,795
    Good luck all 

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• Botch said:
    HeavyG said:

They weaken, but slowly. Look at how far Harvey made it before dissipating.

I'm in SE Florida about 20 miles from the coast right near the Everglades. Changed the oil and did a test run on the generators yesterday. Got 100 gallons of ethanol free gas for them earlier this week. Shutters will be closed tomorrow. Working on bringing everything inside today. And an 8# butt is on the egg to make pulled pork for storm night along with emptying the wine cellar.

Family is coming to our house as we are the most prepared.

Will try to keep everyone updated.
    Please do. Good luck to you and yours. You may be in for a bumpy night when it hits
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • northGAcock
    northGAcock Posts: 15,164
    edited September 2017
    HeavyG said:

I'm really hoping that Irma bounces more off the Carolina's so she mostly misses Virginia a week from now.
    How nice of you to think of us. :s
    Ellijay GA with a Medium & MiniMax

Well, I married me a wife, she's been trouble all my life,
    Run me out in the cold rain and snow
  • 1voyager
    1voyager Posts: 1,157
    After seeing the devastation in St. Maarten I would follow the call to leave FLA.
    Large Egg, PGS A40 gasser.
  • NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    edited September 2017
    1voyager said:
    After seeing the devastation in St. Maarten I would follow the call to leave FLA.
    Do you live in a hurricane prone area?
    Edit. Disregard. I'm on mobile and flipped over to desktop view and see you're in CO. It's one thing if only a county or even two are evacuating. You'd be stuck on the road if even only 1/2 of the state evacuated. Not to mention NO GAS. Direct eye wall strike area I can see evacuating. Irma will do damage throughout the entire state. 
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • 1voyager
    1voyager Posts: 1,157
    1voyager said:
    Do you live in a hurricane prone area?
    Edit. Disregard. I'm on mobile and flipped over to desktop view and see you're in CO. It's one thing if only a county or even two are evacuating. You'd be stuck on the road if even only 1/2 of the state evacuated. Not to mention NO GAS. Direct eye wall strike area I can see evacuating. Irma will do damage throughout the entire state. 
    I don't live in a hurricane prone area now but I used to. Coastal Southern Georgia and Outer Banks, NC.
    Large Egg, PGS A40 gasser.
  • I believe that they definitely need another north/south highway in Florida. A second choice would be adding lanes to the existing ones. As to the gas, as much as it pains me to say it, this is the time when a Prius comes in handy. Stop and go low speed traffic is where it shines and still gives a long range on a tank. I have evacuated coastal Mississippi several times. One problem there is that several evacuation routes intersect in Hattiesburg Mississippi. It really helps that I grew up there and know the ways around the traffic jams.
  • I've been trying to plan for how I'm going to help after the storm. And I think I'm just going to end up going to Jacksonville or Charleston depending what happens. It would take me 100gallons of fuel just to get from Gainesville to Miami and back in the motorhome. I would basically only have to cook what I brought which rounds out to 500-700 meals. I don't think I could provide enough impact to make it worth sucking up the materials that are left down there.
    XL, Small, Mini & Mini Max Green Egg, Shirley Fab Trailer, 6 gal and 2.5 gal Cajun Fryers, BlueStar 60" Range, 48" Lonestar Grillz Santa Maria, Alto Shaam 1200s, Gozney Dome, Gateway 55g Drum
  • DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,125
    I've been trying to plan for how I'm going to help after the storm. And I think I'm just going to end up going to Jacksonville or Charleston depending what happens. It would take me 100gallons of fuel just to get from Gainesville to Miami and back in the motorhome. I would basically only have to cook what I brought which rounds out to 500-700 meals. I don't think I could provide enough impact to make it worth sucking up the materials that are left down there.
    Jax would be an easier haul for sure. Regardless of where you end up, I know the Grocery Cart will deliver! 
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,665
    looks like one more week stuck in traffic on the maine turnpike surrounded by florida plates ;) keep it safe down there
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Florida Grillin Girl
    Florida Grillin Girl Posts: 4,965
    edited September 2017
    I am under a mandatory evacuation as of tomorrow at 6AM. Please say prayers for everyone on the road. If you are evacuated, please go!
    Happily egging on my original large BGE since 1996... now the owner of 5 eggs. Call me crazy, everyone else does!

3 Large, 1 Small, 1 well-used Mini
  • Kcheves
    Kcheves Posts: 92
    edited September 2017
    HeavyG said:

I'm really hoping that Irma bounces more off the Carolina's so she mostly misses Virginia a week from now.
    How nice of you to think of us.

Wait a second...

"Semper ubi sub ubi"

San Diego, CA

• @HofstraJet    Stay safe brother... 
    Charlotte, NC - Large BGE 2014, Maverick ET 733, Thermopen, Nest, Platesetter, Woo2 and Extender w/Grid, Kick Ash Basket, Pizza Stone, SS Smokeware Cap, Blackstone 36"
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Latest European model shifted it west, right through the middle of the peninsula.  Hope that doesn't happen.
    Just heard our San German facility in Puerto Rico did fine after Irma.  Opening up tomorrow.  We haven't heard anything yet from Guanyabo.  Communications are spotty.