Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

OT: Hurricane Irma? OT

Options

Comments

• SamIAm2
    SamIAm2 Posts: 1,896
    Options
    First time we ever bugged out in over 40 years on the space coast. Took most of the papers we need after the storm, loaded the memories I really wanted into the other van and pulled it up next to the east facing windows of the living room. Brought the MiniMax and small table into house along with all other egg add ons. Pushed the large egg table against the north wall of the house and secured it as much as possible. Did not have the time to get everything in order to evacuate and breakdown the large. We got up this morning at 1:30 am and left for Fort Valley Georgia at 2:21am. Getting thru Orlando and the Florida Turnpike was quicker than we expected but then we hit the rolling parking lot of I75. Finally got off at 441 and followed it most of the way up. Little traffic and no problems getting gasoline, though we brought more along in another truck in case there were issues. Don't know what we will find if and when we get home. Don't think 291 miles away is going to be enough but this was our only option. This is going to be a bear of a storm.
    Ubi panis, ibi patria.
    Large - Roswell rig, MiniMax-PS Woo; Cocoa, Fl.
  • GATraveller
    Options
    SamIAm2 said:
    First time we ever bugged out in over 40 years on the space coast. Took most of the papers we need after the storm, loaded the memories I really wanted into the other van and pulled it up next to the east facing windows of the living room. Brought the MiniMax and small table into house along with all other egg add ons. Pushed the large egg table against the north wall of the house and secured it as much as possible. Did not have the time to get everything in order to evacuate and breakdown the large. We got up this morning at 1:30 am and left for Fort Valley Georgia at 2:21am. Getting thru Orlando and the Florida Turnpike was quicker than we expected but then we hit the rolling parking lot of I75. Finally got off at 441 and followed it most of the way up. Little traffic and no problems getting gasoline, though we brought more along in another truck in case there were issues. Don't know what we will find if and when we get home. Don't think 291 miles away is going to be enough but this was our only option. This is going to be a bear of a storm.
    We're praying for all you folks.....and those around here too.  Living in the forest ain't fun when this type of storm rolls through (even this far inland).

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community [...] but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots."

-Umberto Eco

2 Large
    Peachtree Corners, GA
  • Smokinpig
    Options
    We were supposed to be moving from Atlanta to Jacksonville today. We are in a holding pattern with Irma and hoping we still have a place to move to once our house in Atlanta closes next week. 

LBGE Atlanta, GA

• 1voyager
    1voyager Posts: 1,157
    edited September 2017
    Options
    Fort Lauderdale Marina area looks like a ghost town. It's usually packed with boats, mega-yachts and water taxis.

Lauderdale Marina

Large Egg, PGS A40 gasser.
  • NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    Options
    The calm before the Nor'easter hits and then right after we we'll see Irma. This is one salty ****!
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,171
    edited September 2017
    Options
    Watching this reporter on CNN chastise a guy who isn't evacuating. I guess news reporters can stay but everyone else is an idiot.   :|
  • THEBuckeye
    THEBuckeye Posts: 4,231
    Options
    Family in Boca. They're sicking it out. They have the special  windows, a generator and a boatload of good wine. And this from a cousin who could have flown his family anywhere in the world he wanted to on a days notice.  He's stayed before. Fear this one's different. 
    New Albany, Ohio 

• Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,615
    Options
    1voyager said:
    Fort Lauderdale Marina area looks like a ghost town. It's usually packed with boats, mega-yachts and water taxis.

Lauderdale Marina

That's a little creepy.
  • CigarCityEgger
    Options
    Put up the hurricane shutters today. This week has been insane trying to get supplies, luckily if we lose power for a few days we should be ok on what we have.

This things looking to rip through the whole state. Praying for everyone out there to stay safe 
  • henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    Options
    Should have been named hurricane Ron. It wouldn't hit very hard. 
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • HeavyG
    HeavyG Posts: 10,345
    Options
    “Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• GATraveller
    Options
    Family in Boca. They're sicking it out. They have the special  windows, a generator and a boatload of good wine. And this from a cousin who could have flown his family anywhere in the world he wanted to on a days notice.  He's stayed before. Fear this one's different. 
    I'd hate to be drunk when the SHTF.  But that's just me.

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community [...] but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots."

-Umberto Eco

2 Large
    Peachtree Corners, GA
  • Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,471
    Options
    Watching this reporter on CNN chastise a guy who isn't evacuating. I guess news reporters can stay but everyone else is an idiot.   :|
    HLN showed a huge line of folks, who were staying, in (iirc) Ft Myers Beach for up to several hours to get precisely ten pre-filled bags of sand per vehicle.

:| 
    I envision another reporter, sometime next week, walking up to a concrete foundation and nothing else, save a line of 10 sandbags where the garage door once stood.  

Remember when teachers used to say 'You won't have a calculator everywhere you go'?  Well, we showed them.

• Wolfpack
    Wolfpack Posts: 3,551
    Options
    I'd hate to be drunk when the SHTF.  But that's just me.
    Hey Irma- hold my beer. 

Greensboro, NC
  • Gulfcoastguy
    Options
    It looks like Naples is going to get pounded and Tampa is going to get hit harder than predicted this morning. https://www.wunderground.com/hurricane/atlantic/2017/hurricane-irma
  • henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    Options
    I pounded Naples and hit Tampa... Oh crap, they were strippers. 
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • Gulfcoastguy
    Options
    If only hurricanes were limited to stripper names.
  • NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    Options
    Hurricane Bubbles about to slam Florida doesn't have the same ring. 
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • Gulfcoastguy
    Options
    Of course for the left wing people on here they could alternate with drag queen names. Hurricane Ruth Paul for the first.
  • SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    Options
    I live in Coral Gables and was able to get my family to DC last night.  I packed what i could and know that my house (and valuables) may not be there when i return. The important thing is i got my family out.  

This was a preplanned trip.  Luckily my flight wasn't cancelled.
    Username checks out.

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• 1voyager
    1voyager Posts: 1,157
    Options
    Hurricane Bubbles about to slam Florida doesn't have the same ring. 
    DW and I are thinking about you tonight. Best wishes.
    Large Egg, PGS A40 gasser.
  • DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,171
    Options
    Back to Cat 5  :|
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    Of course for the left wing people on here they could alternate with drag queen names. Hurricane Ruth Paul for the first.
    Some of them might be too busy helping those affected to worry about it :) 
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • JNDATHP
    JNDATHP Posts: 461
    Options
    Some of our friends in Miami, Hialeah, Halendale, Miramar etc are not leaving. Sick to my stomach. 
    Michael
    Large BGE
    Reno, NV
  • PoppasGrill
    Options
    A lot of utilities workers in palm beach , waiting it out. 
    Now that Irma turned our houses are going to get hit more than what was expected earlier in the week.
    Tried to prep our families before coming down here, as much as we could.

• Gulfcoastguy
    Options
    It finally changed it's travel path from West to WNW. All of the people who evacuated east Florida to go west and the ones on the west side who stayed home to free gas and hotels 
  • g8golfer
    g8golfer Posts: 1,025
    Options
    Saw a fellow friend today. He's from the Miami area and his son lives in eastern KY so he drove north to stay with him while the hurricane does its damage. Said it's normally 16 hour drive but it took him 27 hours with all the traffic.