Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Hurricane Harvey: Wish you the best, Houston and coastal area. Be careful!

Options

Comments

• The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    Legume said:
    We just had our first outer band hit us. Raining like a mother. The eye of the storm is 240 nautical miles from here and still 80 miles off shore. This is going to be a monster. We never get outer bands this far north. 
    Yeah, that was fun.  Just finished with the ladder and chainsaw.  We've had two waves here so far, stronger than expected for today.

yep- I was smoking sausage on the dishwasher and it rolled in out of nowhere. Had to run out there and shut it all down. Hard to cover when you have a raging fire in the box. I put the electronics away though, the rest is fine.

I knew something was up when it blew in from the east. We never get strong storms like that from the east. 
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    JRWhitee said:
    It is the people that panic that cause the most problems. 

• tjv
    tjv Posts: 3,830
    Options
    man, it doesn't look good.  gotta plan for the long haul on this one.  water is the silent killer. be safe.

t
    www.ceramicgrillstore.com ACGP, Inc.
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    The Cen-Tex Smoker Posts: 22,970
    edited August 2017
    Options
    caliking said:
    I hear ya @nolaegghead. Someone at work was rammed with a shopping cart Wed because some pinhead thought she was going for the last case of water .

We won't get hit as bad as further SW. The city will flood pretty bad, but our burb is usually ok. Lake sort of thing in the back should keep us from flooding. I think we can go about a week without power if it really gets to that. We have a reasonable supply of nonperishable food to keep us going, and water. We'll bug out if necessary , but I doubt it will come to that. 

But people do get crazy. 

HEB is like full-contact, day before Thanksgiving shopping today. People yelling and honking, lines at the gas pumps and the 5 gal fresh water dispenser. People act like we are ground zero for landfall. Leave some TP for the rest of us you hording bastards!
  • Photo Egg
    Photo Egg Posts: 12,110
    Options
    No Jack in the Box eggrolls today...

Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    Photo Egg said:

You're welcome- Harvey
  • Photo Egg
    Options
    Photo Egg said:

You're welcome- Harvey
    In all honesty, rust and corrosion points are taken out like the sick animals in the jungle
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    The Cen-Tex Smoker Posts: 22,970
    edited August 2017
    Options
    Photo Egg said:
    Photo Egg said:

You're welcome- Harvey
    In all honesty, rust and corrosion points are taken out like the sick animals in the jungle
    I was saying you're welcome because Harvey closed jack in the box and you didnt shove those horrible egg rolls in your body lol

stay safe! You guys are in for a wild ride 
  • Photo Egg
    Options
    Photo Egg said:
    Photo Egg said:

You're welcome- Harvey
    I was saying you're welcome because Harvey closed jack in the box and you didnt shove those horrible egg rolls in your body lol

stay safe! You guys are in for a wild ride 
    But I my wife really wanted those **** egg rolls. lol
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    Options

HEB is like full-contact, day before Thanksgiving shopping today. People yelling and honking, lines at the gas pumps and the 5 gal fresh water dispenser. People act like we are ground zero for landfall. Leave some TP for the rest of us you hording bastards!
    I intentionally avoided Kroger and HEB yesterday. Gridlock in their parking lots as I drove by. Costco was well stocked and quite civil last night. Plenty of stuff... except watermelons. 

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,185
    Options
    I bet Jim Cantore has a boner that would make Ron proud. 
  • JohnInCarolina
    JohnInCarolina Posts: 30,975
    edited August 2017
    Options
    I bet Jim Cantore has a boner that would make Ron put his fist through a wall.
    FTFY
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • Foghorn
    Foghorn Posts: 9,842
    edited August 2017
    Options
    caliking said:
    I hear ya @nolaegghead. Someone at work was rammed with a shopping cart Wed because some pinhead thought she was going for the last case of water .

We won't get hit as bad as further SW. The city will flood pretty bad, but our burb is usually ok. Lake sort of thing in the back should keep us from flooding. I think we can go about a week without power if it really gets to that. We have a reasonable supply of nonperishable food to keep us going, and water. We'll bug out if necessary , but I doubt it will come to that. 

But people do get crazy. 

OK. So think of that environment at the New Orleans Walmart Supercenter. Then make that the place where you take your wife and son to buy stuff for him to move into an on-campus apartment.  And his 3 roommates are girls. So Mom is using that as an excuse to try to equip him with nice stuff for the bathroom, etc. And he's not buying it. 

If she suggests potpourri I can't be responsible for his actions.  

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• Photo Egg
    Options
    Wicked rain...

Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,185
    Options
    Photo Egg said:
    Wicked rain...

Hope you guys are hunkered down and liquored up. 
  • Foghorn
    Foghorn Posts: 9,842
    Options
    And @caliking, my daughter got out of Houston to a friend's house in Conroe. 

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    Foghorn said:
    caliking said:

But people do get crazy. 

OK. So think of that environment at the New Orleans Walmart Supercenter. Then make that the place where you take your wife and son to buy stuff for him to move into an on-campus apartment.  And his 3 roommates are girls. So Mom is using that as an excuse to try to equip him with nice stuff for the bathroom, etc. And he's not buying it. 

Three girls?  Actually, I think some calming aroma-therapy might be a good idea.  College kids needs lots of lotion and tissues, don't forget that.  I'm speaking generically here.
    Options
    So far we have been lucky. Heavy rain bands have stayed west and east.
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,378
    Options
    I know all weather persons have to have minored in high drama but the facts as known and the best storm track predictions early in the game help a lot of people sort out their options before the power is lost.
    To echo the common thread-stay safe and don't mess with Mother Nature.  
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    Foghorn said:
    caliking said:

But people do get crazy. 

Bless your heart. Stay strong man
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    They say it's gonna go category 4..... HO LEE FUK!

Wind does escalate the storm surge.  Rain from stalling is still the worst part. 

Y'all hang in there.
    Options
    My bad, it IS a cat 4 now.
    Still dry here in Bastrop - managed to buy the last sandbags at Lowes to sandbag the garage door (our driveway slopes down into it) and just finished securing all the outdoor furniture. Now we wait. And drink.
    Formerly of Houston, TX - Now Located in Bastrop, TX
    I work in the 'que business now (since 2017)

6 Eggs: (1) XL, (2) Large, (1) Small, (1) Minimax & (1) Mini - Egging since 2007
    Also recently gained: (1) Gas Thing (came with the house), (1) 36" Blackstone Griddle & (1) Pitts & Spitts Pellet Smoker
  • Photo Egg
    Options
    lousubcap said:
    I know all weather persons have to have minored in high drama but the facts as known and the best storm track predictions early in the game help a lot of people sort out their options before the power is lost.
    I agree completly. But instead of documenting the current conditions, the mobile weather actors create drama and over dramatize so much that people do not know what to really believe...
    In Galveston they stand in common low areas as tourist walk by taking photos.
    I know media has its place, its just a shame truth is not 1st priority over ratings.
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • SamIAm2
    SamIAm2 Posts: 1,898
    Options
    ^^^^^^^This a thousand times. Where I am there is almost no coverage I can use because the stations are located in Orlando and that is about all they show. Usually the radar image for this area is covered over by the talking head. I don't get my info from them anymore. We have apps for radar that isn't cropped and enhanced with their pretty colors and arrows. 
    Ubi panis, ibi patria.
    Large - Roswell rig, MiniMax-PS Woo; Cocoa, Fl.
  • caliking
    Options
    Foghorn said:
    And @caliking, my daughter got out of Houston to a friend's house in Conroe. 
    Glad to hear that. I was starting to wonder. 

• The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    Photo Egg said:
    lousubcap said:
    I agree completly. But instead of documenting the current conditions, the mobile weather actors create drama and over dramatize so much that people do not know what to really believe...
    In Galveston they stand in common low areas as tourist walk by taking photos.
    I know media has its place, its just a shame truth is not 1st priority over ratings.
    https://youtu.be/zbjXJM8_qus
  • caliking
    Options
    Foghorn said:
    ...And his 3 roommates are girls...
    Does he ever get to class??

• thetrim
    thetrim Posts: 11,357
    Options
    I bet Jim Cantore has a boner that would make Ron proud. 
    BTW, if you saw the Mayweather weigh in today, I don't think Conor has any prostate issues.
    =======================================
    XL 6/06, Mini 6/12, L 10/12, Mini #2 12/14 MiniMax 3/16 Large #2 11/20 Legacy from my FIL - RIP
    Tampa Bay, FL
    EIB 6 Oct 95