Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Still My Nemesis

ColtsFan
ColtsFan Posts: 6,310
4th attempt at a packer. I just can't get to where I am completely happy with it. I think it needed to go more as the center of the flat wasn't nearly as good as the end. It read 205 in the thickest part of the flat with the Thermapen. 

Nevertheless, I'm set for brisket chili when fall comes in a few months. :) 

~ John - https://www.instagram.com/hoosier_egger
XL BGE, LG BGE, KJ Jr, PK Original, Ardore Pizza Oven, King Disc 
Bloomington, IN - Hoo Hoo Hoo Hoosiers!

Comments

• lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,168
    Looks great and a nice ring as well.  Don't know how it probed in the thick part of the flat but unless it is probing "like buttah" it needed more time.  That's the key to the brisket finish-line.  Sometimes not all of the flat will get with the program but if you get a great majority with the buttah feel, declare victory.  Give it around 15-20 mins on a cooling rack then FTC (at least 2 hours if time permits) until ready to slice on demand.  FWIW-
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • ColtsFan
    Thanks for the advice @lousubcap. I'll get there one day... Maybe. Never had something kick my a$$ so many times. Perhaps SV is the next attempt. 

• Gym
    Gym Posts: 366
    How long on the egg after the sv bath?
  • lousubcap
    @ColtsFan - always remember, "the friggin cow drives the cook."
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • tarheelmatt
    tarheelmatt Posts: 9,867
    Did you pull at 205 and immediately wrap in foil?

You use choice, prime,  or better?
    ------------------------------
    Thomasville, NC
    My YouTube Channel - The Hungry Hussey
    Instagram
    Facebook
    My Photography Site
  • poster
    poster Posts: 1,167
    Gym said:
    How long on the egg after the sv bath?
    About 4 hours after 36@155 works well for me
  • ColtsFan
    @tarheelmatt Costco Prime. Wrapped in paper at 165. Pulled at 205, FTC for 2 hours 

• tarheelmatt
    ColtsFan said:
    @tarheelmatt Costco Prime. Wrapped in paper at 165. Pulled at 205, FTC for 2 hours 
    Didn't answer my question.  

Did you immediately pull and wrap in foil for FTC?
    Thomasville, NC
    Instagram
    Facebook
    My Photography Site
  • GoooDawgs
    GoooDawgs Posts: 1,060
    Or.... a wise old sage once said to wait until the POINT is 205 and to forget the flat.  ;) 

Fyi - the brisket is my nemesis as well.
    Milton, GA 
    XL BGE & FB300
  • Dave in Florida
    Dave in Florida Posts: 1,157
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Welcome to the Swamp.....GO GATORS!!!!
  • pgprescott
    pgprescott Posts: 14,544
    Im a hieratic, I both inject with Butchers prime injection and I wrap them @155-160. Good luck. 
  • ColtsFan
    ColtsFan said:

Sorry. Yes, immediately wrapped it in foil

• lousubcap
    @ColtsFan -  Think you answered a big contributor to your end product with the immediate wrap and pack (FTC) step.  With the mass of meat you will get carry-over cooking that leads to drying out the flat.  Give it 15-20 minutes on a cooling rack before you FTC next time-should make a noticeable difference.  FWIW-
  • ColtsFan
    lousubcap said:
    @ColtsFan -  Think you answered a big contributor to your end product with the immediate wrap and pack (FTC) step.  With the mass of meat you will get carry-over cooking that leads to drying out the flat.  Give it 15-20 minutes on a cooling rack before you FTC next time-should make a noticeable difference.  FWIW-
    Ah...Rookie move.

• Foghorn
    Foghorn Posts: 9,795
    ColtsFan said:
    lousubcap said:
    Ah...Rookie move.
    No. That's part of the senior level brisket curriculum.  Not brisket 101. 

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• tonyled
    tonyled Posts: 536
    Im a hieratic, I both inject with Butchers prime injection and I wrap them @155-160. Good luck. 
    injecting with beef broth upped my game too and i still havent wrapped one yet
  • tarheelmatt
    ColtsFan said:
    ColtsFan said:

Hope I didn't come off too rough. Didn't mean to. When I read what I asked, it wasn't friendly. 
    Sorry about that. 

Appears you over cooked via FTC. Let that bad boy sit, in the open, on a rack a while, then wrap for FTC. I'll start to see when the IT starts creating down a bit then wrap. 

Thomasville, NC
    Instagram
    Facebook
    My Photography Site
  • ColtsFan
    ColtsFan said:
    ColtsFan said:

Hope I didn't come off too rough. Didn't mean to. When I read what I asked, it wasn't friendly. 
    Sorry about that. 

Appears you over cooked via FTC. Let that bad boy sit, in the open, on a rack a while, then wrap for FTC. I'll start to see when the IT starts creating down a bit then wrap. 

No worries

• saluki2007
    saluki2007 Posts: 6,354
    I would say you haven been graced with some excellent knowledge above.  I am in no ways saying give up on trying to nail a brisket (I'm still trying).  But to change it up and get that brisket taste give plate ribs a try.  A lot easier to nail those and you get a very close result as brisket.
    Large and Small BGE
    Central, IL

• lousubcap
    Just to keep the friggin cow in the rightful place of control, I did a Costco prime last week (no access to any other quality grade packers around here that I have found) and it was one of my better outcomes.  Definitely nailed it and I have had lesser results with SRF Black.  
    Now the disclaimer; I never track the adult supervisory beverages with a brisket (or any other cook) so there is an outlier variable that may have been at play.  Above all, back on the cow and have fun. ;)
  • pgprescott
    pgprescott Posts: 14,544
    tonyled said:
    injecting with beef broth upped my game too and i still havent wrapped one yet
    Good to hear. The professional injections have phosphates in them which are magic when it comes to retaining moisture. It's a kin to corn starch on chicken skin IMO. I am by no means an expert like some of the previous posters, just a hack for sure.
  • JohnInCarolina
    JohnInCarolina Posts: 30,867
    I would say you haven been graced with some excellent knowledge above.  I am in no ways saying give up on trying to nail a brisket (I'm still trying).  But to change it up and get that brisket taste give plate ribs a try.  A lot easier to nail those and you get a very close result as brisket.
    This is a really good suggestion.  Plate ribs are just as much fun to do and much easier to nail.
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • lousubcap
    @JohnInCarolina - you are definitely correct with the plate ribs and the brisket on a stick outcome with a much easier run to the finish-line.   As has been beaten to death, the variables of the brisket cook with every hunk of cow makes each cook a challenge to deliver the goods.  That's the most enjoyable part of the whole thing for me.  It's definitely not a guaranteed outcome.  I find working the cook to declare and deliver victory is much more rewarding.
    Just an opinion and we all know what those are worth...    
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    Ozzie_Isaac Posts: 18,943
    edited July 2017
    I have never cooked a brisket I was happy with.  Including two SRF blacks.  The SRFs pushed me off the cliff, mine were no better than Costco prime in flavor or texture (wife liked Costcos better)  I've decided to give up and move on.  No more briskets in my future.

Don't take this as a knock on SRF.  The brisket whisperers swear by them, so I am sure I just have zero clue as to what I am doing.
    A bison’s level of aggressiveness, both physical and passive, is legendary. - NPS
  • JohnInCarolina
    JohnInCarolina Posts: 30,867
    I have never cooked a brisket I was happy with.  Including two SRF blacks.  The SRFs pushed me off the cliff, mine were no better than Costco prime in flavor or texture (wife liked Costcos better)  I've decided to give up and move on.  No more briskets in my future.

Don't take this as a knock on SRF.  The brisket whisperers swear by them, so I am sure I just have zero clue as to what I am doing.
    I've probably smoked as many SRFs as I have non-SRFs.  By far the best briskets I've done on my own were SRFs.  By the same token, I've also done some SRFs I really wasn't all that happy with.  So take it for what it's worth, which is not much.

I just think if you really want to get good at smoking briskets, you've got to just accept that it's going to require a lot of practice.   I think you also probably need to accept that the BGE is actually pretty far from the ideal device for these things.  
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • Well said JIC. I do love the short rib idea. Done in 5-6 hours instead of 15+. Great beef bbq flavor and they just look badass when they are done. 

Brisket is a funny deal. If you don't live in an area that has a lot of good brisket, It's hard to know what to even compare it to. You have to do a lot of them and eat a lot of it at good places before you even know what good is.
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • Focker
    Focker Posts: 8,364
    edited July 2017

You do have a clue, and know what you're doing.

I have never coughed up the coin for a SRF, but after aging my first subprimal, came to the same conclusion in 2013. (my last documented brisket cook)

Never understood the forum fascination with SRF, or the terrible brisket cut as a whole?  I know it's a Texas thing, but why struggle making chicken salad, with chicken sh!t, beating your head against the brisket wall?

For less than SRF money, you can buy a PR, age it, and smoke roast.  Haven't looked back Oz.  ;)

Brandon
    Quad Cities
    "If yer gonna denigrate, familiarity with the subject is helpful."