Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

MiniMax or Mini-Meh?

Options
I'm 10 cooks in and not feeling the love. Sucks as a grill, ok as a wok cooker but I have that x2, would never use it as a smoker, I'm not taking it camping, what am I missing? 
Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX

Comments

• Scottborasjr
    Options
    I have a small so the mini max, while the cool thing on the block, never made sense to me. Interested to see replies. 
    I raise my kids, cook and golf.  When work gets in the way I'm pissed, I'm pissed off 48 weeks a year.
    Inbetween Iowa and Colorado, not close to anything remotely entertaining outside of football season. 
  • txhawkeye
    Options
    Have been on the fence for a while. But not enough upside for how I would use it to pull the trigger 
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    I'm shocked how crappy it is as a grill. That's really why I wanted one. grid level is 1" or less over the lump. cooking with the grid on top of the fire ring It either burns half and leaves half raw or chokes the fire out if you cover the grid in food. Use the woo to raise it and it's too far from the lump to cook the way I like. The wok is pretty cool but i have 2 Lg for that. 

I dunno- seems I was hoping to plug a hole that didn't exist. 
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    SGH said:
     what am I missing? 
    A Smokeware Cap and center cut lump ;)
    I knew I was missing something. I couldn't get it hot enough so I bought a KA basket. Little better? I guess. I have all the toys but the center cut lump. That has to be it

• lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,378
    Options
    Stand-by for heavy rolls.
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • theyolksonyou
    Options
    I use mine as a grill a lot. Leave the dome open for a while. Get a mature fire and it gets hot fast. Hi que replaced the OEM immediately. CHS wok and stone over OEM plate setter and grid. Indirect takes a while to get to temp.  
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    I use mine as a grill a lot. Leave the dome open for a while. Get a mature fire and it gets hot fast. Hi que replaced the OEM immediately. CHS wok and stone over OEM plate setter and grid. Indirect takes a while to get to temp.  
    That's what I do too. still sucks

• The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    my weber jumbo joe blows this thing away as a grill. Not even close and not even up for debate. $49.

• theyolksonyou
    Options
    Well I don't have a weber, so there!
  • SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    edited November 2016
    Options
    Brother Tex, I have a MM as well as a Kamado Joe Jr. I hate to say this on BGE's forum, but I honestly prefer the Jr. over the MM. You should of went red my friend. 

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    SGH said:
    Brother Tex, I have a MM as well as Kamado Joe Jr. I hate to say this on BGE's forum, but I honestly prefer the Jr. over the MM. You should of went red my friend. 
    yeah- cooked on one and I'm with you on that one. 
  • theyolksonyou
    Options
    I really do use mine a lot. I can cook chops or thighs on it for the four of us quicker than on the large. I have a couple of charcoal grills that never get used that may be quicker. 
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    I really do use mine a lot. I can cook chops or thighs on it for the four of us quicker than on the large. I have a couple of charcoal grills that never get used that may be quicker. 
    I kind of use mine a lot too and cannot name a single thing it's great at. Certainly not as a grill.

I guess if I ever decide to sell it, it won't be on here :lol:

• DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    Options
    SGH said:
    Brother Tex, I have a MM as well as Kamado Joe Jr. I hate to say this on BGE's forum, but I honestly prefer the Jr. over the MM. You should of went red my friend. 
    I bought a small just before the MM was announced. I was kicking myself wishing I had waited. And then the MM was delayed, and delayed, and I was glad I hadn't waited. Then the KJ Jr. was on a one-day sale at Ace for stupid cheap and I picked one up. Portable and works about the same as the small. And then I started seeing reports of odd performance on the MM, and I was glad things worked out like they did.
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    Options
    Brother Tex, on somewhat of a seperate note, the mini kicks a$$. It's size is no doubt limited, but it's a searing machine. I honestly will never be without a mini. 

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    DMW said:
    SGH said:
    I bought a small just before the MM was announced. I was kicking myself wishing I had waited. And then the MM was delayed, and delayed, and I was glad I hadn't waited. Then the KJ Jr. was on a one-day sale at Ace for stupid cheap and I picked one up. Portable and works about the same as the small. And then I started seeing reports of odd performance on the MM, and I was glad things worked out like they did.
    odd is a great way to describe it. I have been doing this for 10 years and I can't figure the thing out. Tonight I grilled 3 lamb leg steaks on it at normal grid level. Like 1" over the lump that had been running a wok for 20 minutes. It was hot. Put the steaks on closed the dome and after 2-3 minutes it barely had any grill marks or browning but they were getting firm. I flipped and left the dome open  to try to get some color without overcooking them with about the same results. they were gray on the outside and overdone by 10 degrees. Total crap. Last time, same set up, thighs were charcoal on the outside and raw in the middle. It's all over the place. 
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    Ozzie_Isaac Posts: 19,087
    Options
    I like pizza on my MM and cooking veggies for salsa.
    A bison’s level of aggressiveness, both physical and passive, is legendary. - NPS
  • SciAggie
    SciAggie Posts: 6,481
    Options
    I cook on my frequently. I won't argue that it hasn't been the wondercooker my large is. I don't have experience with the othe grills mentioned so I have no basis for comparison. I find myself wondering if a small or medium might have been a wiser choice. That said I don't see myself selling the MM and buying a small or medium. 
    Coleman, Texas
    Large BGE & Mini Max for the wok. A few old camp Dutch ovens and a wood fired oven. LSG 24” cabinet offset smoker. There are a few paella pans and a Patagonia cross in the barn. A curing chamber for bacterial transformation of meats...
    "Bourbon slushies. Sure you can cook on the BGE without them, but why would you?"
                                                                                                                          YukonRon
  • bcsnave
    bcsnave Posts: 1,009
    Options

best ceramic grill AND built in beer cooler

The Dude..a Mini and a Large Egg..a DigiQ DX (BGE Green)..some Cast Iron...a Thermapen.............and an Ol' Fashion

_____________________________________________________________________________

Glenbeulah, WI

• tikigriller
    tikigriller Posts: 1,389
    Options
    Gray on the outside?  I know of a thread a week or so ago that went into great detail about how to fix mysterious gray slime.... :wink:

Those things are so small, I honestly can't think of what I would cook on it besides burgers and dogs.
    Just bought an Egg?  Here is what you get to look forward to now:

Plate Setter, FlameBoss 200, Spider, PSWOO-CI, Additional Rig Shelf for dome cooking, Thermapen, iGrill2, Cast Iron, Blackstone, Cooking Accessories for the Blackstone, Cover for the Egg and the Blackstone, shopping for Rub like a fine wine or IPA, and a new fascination with lump and what brand is the best-all to be debated every Friday Night.  Next desires-Joetisceriie, Adjustable Rig, Grillmates, table and more eggs

Livermore, California
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    SGH said:
    Brother Tex, on somewhat of a seperate note, the mini kicks a$$. It's size is no doubt limited, but it's a searing machine. I honestly will never be without a mini. 
    was hoping to get the volcano power of the mini with the room of the small. No dice
  • Mikee
    Mikee Posts: 892
    Options
    I would have thought the mini-max would be great at grilling considering the size of the fire grate. Should heat up very quickly. Someone looking to use an egg for primarily for smoking, should look at the medium (almost the same price.
  • texaswig
    texaswig Posts: 2,682
    Options
    I wasn't too impressed with the grilling at first. It's alot better since I got the woo. Perfect for a couple burgers or a few pieces of chicken. I like it for small smoking. I like it's portability. But it is a pain in the a**. I'm gonna finally build a drum smoker after Thanksgiving. So I'll have that for bigger cooks away from home. 

2-XLs ,MM,blackstone,Ooni koda 16,R&V works 8.5 gallon fryer,express smoker and 40" smoking cajun 

scott 
    Greenville Tx
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    Options
    Great. Just great.  I had just convinced myself that SWMBO needed a MM for Xmas (Read: I want a MM for Xmas). 

I cooked 20 whole wings (minus the tips) on my Weber Jumbo Joe this past weekend at the pig farm, and 4 on @20stone 's MM. I did note that the ones on the MM got more char on them, and quicker, than intended. Had to flip them more than the ones on the JJ. The JJ chugged along at about the right pace. I figured it was because the MM was more "squat" with the meat closer to the heat. I had forgotten what a great cooker the JJ is, and the 18" grid is a plus.

Was planning on selling the small and mini, to justify the MM. Just goes to show that it may not always be the best idea to downsize, or indulge in rational thought. May have to mull the MM acquisition over a bit more.  

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • YukonRon
    YukonRon Posts: 16,989
    Options
    I got a MM, I cook on it often, and it has exceeded my expectations. I have not had a single bad experience with it, sorry you are not having any luck.
    No gray meat, nothing under cooked. I have grilled, roasted, smoked and made pizza on it. No issues, and nothing over cooked. Heat times, and clean smoke very quickly.
    I have not upgraded, just use stock. 
    My XL was out of commission for a month due to a crack in the base. We used the MM for every cook, including doing a low and slow smoking of a beef tenderloin, and ribs.
    Mine is good.

"Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • Photo Egg
    Photo Egg Posts: 12,110
    Options
    What about a slightly shorter Woo?
    Still think BGE missed the boat by not using a larger fire grate for better air flow in the MM.
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    Photo Egg said:
    What about a slightly shorter Woo?
    Still think BGE missed the boat by not using a larger fire grate for better air flow in the MM.
    I switched out the original fire grate for a ka basket to get better airflow. Couldn't get it over 400 with the stock fire grate. Little better now. Seems a shorter woo would be better for me.
  • WeberWho
    WeberWho Posts: 11,029
    Options
    I have a couple mini eggs that I picked up used for about $100/piece. It's a fun little cooker but not even close to worth the $400 they want for a new one in my opinion.

I never quite understood the Minimax. Big Green Egg chopped the bottom 1/3 off the small egg and gave it a new name. The small egg cooks more like it's bigger siblings where the Minimax is closer to the Mini. I can understand the Minimax if BGE axed the Mini but hard for me to understand why everyone is drinking the Kool-aid on this particular egg and not the small. I get its smaller and tad lighter but not by much. I just can't see paying close to what the small costs but cooks like a mini. Again, just my opinion and some of the main reason why I've never considered a MiniMax. I've seen some absolutely beautiful cooks on them here though. 
    "The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota
  • Stormbringer
    Stormbringer Posts: 2,082
    edited November 2016
    Options
    I've not experienced the small or mini, so in that regards have no real frame of reference, can only compare with the large. It does use a lot less lump than the large, and as there's just two of us (and three cats), we can cook what we need to on the MM most of the time. So that was a big reason to get one, and at the time the KJ Jnr wasn't readily available in the UK.

We do manage to get the MM to 300C/575F which is great for grilling burgers. This is using BGE lump, mainly because that's all we have readily available in the UK (as far as I can tell). That was with the daisy wheel off and the bottom grate partially closed, haven't tried getting it higher than that.

Maybe I'll find something that it doesn't do well ... waiting to discover that.

One thing to bear in mind, we have the original model, which as far as I understand it has a higher fire ring so the grid is at the felt line. This does give us a decent gap between lump and grid.
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------
    | Cooking and blogging with a Large and Minimax in deepest, darkest England-shire
    | My food blog ... BGE and other stuff ... http://www.thecooksdigest.co.uk
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------